PDA

View Full Version : Venus New Ranking

jonny84
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Seeing as she was unable to defend her Wimbledon final points from last year she slides down to approx No.16 with 1640 points.

Does anyone know if she will still get a special seeding for events?
I know that this does not matter anyway as she has no points to defend until Oz Open 2005

Freewoman33
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Please people, let's not get into this special seeding argument. Venus should not get special seedings for any tournaments. I'm pretty sure we all feel that way. Even if she has to qualify for an event, she must do so.

I have a lot of confidence in Venus and I know she has a LOT more left in her. If she is truly interested in playing tennis, Venus will rise again.

Vass22
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:25 PM
It's not unespected...

WF4EVER
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Venus has no points whatsoever the rest of the year. SO what if she slides to 16 or lower, she has been lower already this year.

Jericho
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:33 PM
she has a lot of points to gain and it is her favorite part of the year...

Bright Red
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:37 PM
I just hope that this loss energizes Venus. She has some work to do to regain her confidence.

calabar
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:26 PM
What if a player REFUSES a special ranking or seeding? Is it really up to the players if they can refuse? My sense is that the player really has no choice in whether they are awarded a special ranking/seed or not. Am I Correct?

cool bird
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Venus seeding is up she will not get a speical seeding at all.
Looks like Venus will have to play some first round matches at the small hard court touriements

Kart
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:40 PM
At least it lifts some of the burden of expectation off her.

Andrew.
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Her seeding is up after LA.

SilK
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:43 PM
I always thought this issue was difficult. I am going to blend Kournikova in to this issue. If you ask me, when Anna came back on tour after her 2001 stress fracture... If she hadn't gotten all THOSE Wild Cards for the big tournaments... And tourni's would have let her play qualies, or the lower Tier 3/4 tourni's... Her comeback would have been more succesfull. She would be far more motivated to get back to the level she was before her injury. Instead, she just got covered in Wild Cards because she was Anna Kournikova... I think the rulez should be adjusted to make sure those things can't happen anymore...

To get back to Venus, and Serena for that matter. Special seeding should not excist. Somebody agrees with me?

cool bird
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Is it really LA I thought she has used it up now she played to many touriements

alwayshingis
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:46 PM
What if a player REFUSES a special ranking or seeding? Is it really up to the players if they can refuse? My sense is that the player really has no choice in whether they are awarded a special ranking/seed or not. Am I Correct?

You can choose whether you want to use a special ranking at specific tournaments, because you only have a certain # of tournaments you can use it at. I believe Sandrine Testud didn't use hers for a tournament in France because she was going to get a wildcard anyway so she didn't need it. Then again...i find it amusing that the consider pregnancy and injury....but that's another story.