PDA

View Full Version : mauresmo said:

tatravoltage
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Mauresmo said the sisters are less intimidating than two or three years ago.

``They don't win as much,'' she said. ``When you see players being beaten a little bit more often, it gives you a lot more confidence when you walk on the court with them.''

Well if they are less intimidating u better start winning some matches against them......

Cuddles
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:47 PM
She's totally wrong.

They still dominate the tour. Go Vee and Rena!

Diesel
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Mauresmo isn't totally wrong in that Venus and Serena don't win like they did before their injury time outs. But then again Amelie always finds something to say about Venus and Serena so nothing is new here. But it's too bad that it took the Sisters being out and now having some difficulties in coming back to their usual self for confidence to seep into people like Amelie. Oh well.

Brαm
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:51 PM

``They don't win as much,'' she said. ``When you see players being beaten a little bit more often, it gives you a lot more confidence when you walk on the court with them.''

Well if they are less intimidating u better start winning some matches against them......
Where's that quote from?

gentenaire
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:59 PM
She's totally wrong.!

In what way is she wrong?

That they don't win as often as before is a fact. Before they were playing nearly every single grand slam final, that's not the case now.

As for the second part of her quote, about players feeling more confident against them now, I think a player knows more about that than the fans.

cool bird
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Well it not like she is talking rubbish. The sisters have lost that reaction in the locker room now. Thought no fault but there own. The question now is will they get it back. Serena could if she win Wimbledon, But for Venus she is going to have a very hard time me thinks

Diesel
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Where's that quote from?

Here's a MSNBC Tennis (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5298305/) article.

bandabou
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:06 PM
aura, aura....Venus maybe, because Venus has had some really strange losses this year. Serena?! I think she still has it, because she hasn´t had any bad losses so far...sure her loss against was a bit shocking, but she always struggled with Jennifer anyways.....

Linnie
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:07 PM
From her interview yesterday:

Q. It certainly was strange. As far as Venus' game and maybe Serena's also, how much less intimidating do they seem now than maybe two, three years ago?

AMELIE MAURESMO: Well, they don't win as much. Again, you are talking about two, three years ago. Serena was winning all the ‑‑ I think she won the four Grand Slams in a row, not in the same year. And then Venus> in the final each time.

Spunky83
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:22 PM
She´s right...I mean it´s obvious and I guess that even their fans acknowledge the fact that the sisters aren´t as good as, well like Mauresmo said, a few years ago. Venus never would have lost in such an early round (and ok...I admit it, not even in the QF of RO against Myskina) and Serena still is a little bit slow and far away from her normal form. They can do better, their fans know that and really shouldn´t deny it that their faves are not that scary anymore for the their opponents.

jbone_0307
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Yeah, her comments are true that both Serena and Venus have gotten beaten more. People why try to turn something into nothing. She answered a question from the press.

Diesel
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:28 PM
How about just last year this time? Who needs the sisters to be scary? I prefer just good. The other players and fans can take their intimidation and scare factor if that's what gets them through the night.

Kart
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:31 PM
What SCANDAL :eek: :eek: :eek:

Amelie :smash:

Kart
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Seriously though, if Amelie is truly finding them less intimidating then that's great because that's one less stumbling block on the road to beating either of them :).

Cariaoke
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:35 PM
She stated the obvious because she was asked the obvious. :shrug:

Freewoman33
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:55 PM
I think we are all aware of that. The real question they should've asked her is; when is she going to start taking advantage and start winning some of these GS titles? Maybe they need to ask her why she's such a big choker when it comes to the important matches.

Venus and Serena have already won many GS titles. This discussion should not be about what Amelie has to say about their aura, but rather what her goals are at this stage of her career.

Kabezya
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:57 PM
I think we are all aware of that. The real question they should've asked her is; when is she going to start taking advantage and start winning some of these GS titles? Maybe they need to ask her why she's such a big choker when it comes to the important matches.

Venus and Serena have already won many GS titles. This discussion should not be about what Amelie has to say about their aura, but rather what her goals are at this stage of her career.

:lol: :haha:

bandabou
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Got one freewoman....I think Momo should be worrying more about how with a WIDE open draw at this year´s French she still couldn´t manage to better than all the other years.

of course the sisters aren´t as good as they were, but they already are greats. You otoh, time´s running for you..because the next generation is already making noise.

esquímaux
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Amelié would say something like that :tape:

Vass22
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Everyone agrees that they aren't intimidating anymore. They are not unbeatable and everyone knows it.

Jericho
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:35 PM
i wonder how many times Amelie will fall into this trap...it seems as though whenever she says something about them she loses or gets injured...its weird

vogus
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:36 PM
you're right on bandy, it isn't only the sisters who time is running short for - if Mauresmo doesn't win a GS title next week at Wimby or at the USO in September, she'll never win one. She's going to be forever known as a player who had the game, but not the courage to be a champion. Whatever else happens with he Williams sisters, their achievements are already on the books, and they are both going into the Hall of Fame.

frenchvee
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:43 PM

Venus and Serena have already won many GS titles. This discussion should not be about what Amelie has to say about their aura, but rather what her goals are at this stage of her career.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ha ha ha ha too funny

KrayZ4SerenaW225
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:50 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :haha: :haha: :haha: :rolls:

I TOTALLLLLLLY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jericho
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:53 PM

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Mrs. Peel
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:57 PM

I love Amelie but she falls for this trap time and time again and it makes her look rather foolish. She might have better luck during Grand Slams if she starts to find better answers for this bait :tape: She just got beat by a player who admits she can't serve :tape: :tape: I guess by her reasoning that should give players ALOT of confidence when they walk on the court with her :tape: :rolleyes:

ans
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Well, it's a pity, but she's right. Hope she doesn't have to make the same comments when Justine and Kim are coming back to the tour.

harloo
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:35 PM
What's new from Amelie? I mean throughout her career she has had many negative things to say about the sisters. It's obvious that with injuries, lack of match play, and being away from the game for so long has affected the sisters. However what in the hell has Amelie did to capitalize on their absence? She has done nothing but choke her chances away everytime she got to a big match.

Hell, the FO was wide open this year and she had a dream draw playing Demented in the semis, and a possibility of Myskina in the finals. With her game if she cannot capitalize on gifts like that then she will be slamless for the rest of her career.:rolleyes:

Ballbuster
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Words from a Slamless headcase. Should we bother to listen? I truely try to like her, yet, its so hard. She keeps getting in the way.

That's it. She's in the way of herself winning a slam. She'll NEVA get one.

Knizzle
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:45 PM
aura, aura....Venus maybe, because Venus has had some really strange losses this year. Serena?! I think she still has it, because she hasn´t had any bad losses so far...sure her loss against was a bit shocking, but she always struggled with Jennifer anyways.....

Serena's is going down a bit too unfortunately. Losing twice in a row to Jen is not a coincidence.

Knizzle
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:47 PM
I must say that the sisters can and WILL get back to dominating form. They haven't even been back from injury a full year.

harloo
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Serena's is going down a bit too unfortunately. Losing twice in a row to Jen is not a coincidence.
I would have to agree, but hopefully she will get to the qtrs and turn things around on grass.

propi
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Then, Amélie, will you please, finally take your chance and win a GS :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:
It's about time :mad:
Good luck in Wimby :)

Knizzle
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:48 PM
I would have to agree, but hopefully she will get to the qtrs and turn things around on grass.

I know, if Serena doesn't win Wimbledon :unsure:

vettipooh
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:50 PM

Venus and Serena have already won many GS titles. This discussion should not be about what Amelie has to say about their aura, but rather what her goals are at this stage of her career. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ans
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Words from a Slamless headcase. Should we bother to listen? I truely try to like her, yet, its so hard. She keeps getting in the way.

That's it. She's in the way of herself winning a slam. She'll NEVA get one.
Oooh, ok. So, only people with a slam win have the right to answer questions about other players.

bandabou
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Well, it's a pity, but she's right. Hope she doesn't have to make the same comments when Justine and Kim are coming back to the tour.

sadly..it´s gonna happen to them too...the writing was already on the wall anyways.

Black Mamba.
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Momo hasn't been taking advantage of them not winning as much so maybe she should focus on her own game.

Hurley
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:37 PM

No. The discussion should be whatever the journalist asked her. Because this clearly would have made a lot of sense:

Q. It certainly was strange. As far as Venus' game and maybe Serena's also, how much less intimidating do they seem now than maybe two, three years ago?

AMELIE MAURESMO: Well, my goals for my career are to win every major, the Olympics, to play on Mars and to eat three pies in three minutes. I like pie.

Retards.

mboyle
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Yes the sisters are defintaely dominating:rolleyes: . 3 titles between them this year, 1 top ten win between them, a mere 13-4 combined record in grand slams (compared to 26-3 this time last year.) The sisters have barely been top ten players this year. They defintaely are not nos. 1 and 2 right now. So freakin what?

Leo_DFP
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:42 PM
How does that simple and accurate comment deserve an entire thread?

Freewoman33
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Listen, If Amelie had won the French Open like she should have, because she had the best record going in, I would not have said anything. But, she choked away that match against Elena. Why is it that Myskina, who beat Venus fair and square can recognize that the sisters may one day return to championship form, but Amelie cannot bring herself to recognize that also? Because she’s a headcase who has no confidence in her abilities, as talented as she is. What audacity she has to talk about other people’s careers. If I were her, I’d be too embarrassed to talk about other people's situations.

ans
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=bandabou]sadly..it´s gonna happen to them too...QUOTE]

Thanks for looking in your cristal ball.

lizchris
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:25 PM

At leat the sisters were intimidating; she never was.

nikerulz, you are so right and have the best post in this thread.

donna
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Calm down people,don't get your knickers in a twist!!!
Amelie stated a fact again,and people go balistic.
Venus and Serena ARE losing more, because they are playing LESS.They are developing other interests outside tennis,and it's showing.They are getting bored,as well as some of us are getting bored with them.To be honest,they don't make an effort to be gracious about players when they lose,they just show arrogance.
V and S may imrove if they show more dedication,but i'm looking forward to someone else winning Grand Slams!

Freewoman33
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Donna, you must have just come from under a rock or something.

Crazy_Fool
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Momo is just stating what everyone knows, stop hating on her and accept its the truth.

Joana
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Outrageous. How dare she? :fiery:

Black Mamba.
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:47 PM
As soon as Momo stops choking then we will talk, as soon as Dokic starts winning again then will talk, as soon as every other player talking wins a grandslam recently or has beat the sisters recently then we will talk. Vee and Serena have nothing to prove all these people saying they aren't as intimidating are the same players who can't capitalize when they falter. When Martina Nav was talking about false swagger and false confidence she should've been talking about Momo who talks about other players and their circumstances while saying she's not afraid then she goes out and chokes in matches she should win. I wonder if Sprem had of beat any other player would we start talking about that player and how they are losing it or how they will never win a big tournement again. Last time I checked not only is Sprem a good player, but Vee and Serena are human, they lose too. This sounds like the Tiger Woods Syndrome all over again in which a player or players is so dominating in their sport that when they don't perform up to the unbelievable standards they set an above average year for most players is looked as a sign they need to retire for them.

Leo_DFP
Listen, If Amelie had won the French Open like she should have, because she had the best record going in, I would not have said anything. But, she choked away that match against Elena. Why is it that Myskina, who beat Venus fair and square can recognize that the sisters may one day return to championship form, but Amelie cannot bring herself to recognize that also? Because she’s a headcase who has no confidence in her abilities, as talented as she is. What audacity she has to talk about other people’s careers. If I were her, I’d be too embarrassed to talk about other people's situations.
Wrong! Mauresmo wasn't asked to comment on the future of the Williams and whether or not they could return to "championship form," but she was quite simply asked to explain their CURRENT situation. As in, the present. And what she said is the absolute truth - the other players are less intimidated by Serena and Venus. She never denied that they might one day reach #1 and #2 again - not even close, actually.

Secondly, Mauresmo didn't choke the French Open quarterfinal match against Dementieva. I'm so sick of hearing shit like this. Mauresmo did NOT play any worse than she had earlier in the tournament or earlier in the clay court season. But Dementieva, like Davenport in Amelia Island, was able to take advantage of Amelie's lack of aggression by being aggressive herself and attacking Momo's weak serves and short groundies. The Russian played beautifully in that match and should be be given credit for that.

Bероника
What SCANDAL :eek: :eek: :eek:

Amelie :smash:
hahahaha :lol: lol Kart :wavey:

CC
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:48 PM
When you give your opinion you open yourself up to criticism. :smash:

Joana
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:49 PM
As soon as Momo stops choking then we will talk, as soon as Dokic starts winning again then will talk, as soon as every other player talking wins a grandslam recently or has beat the sisters recently then we will talk.
As soon as you win a Slam we can talk.

thedarkone
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:54 PM
As soon as Momo stops choking then we will talk, as soon as Dokic starts winning again then will talk, as soon as every other player talking wins a grandslam recently or has beat the sisters recently then we will talk. Vee and Serena have nothing to prove all these people saying they aren't as intimidating are the same players who can't capitalize when they falter. When Martina Nav was talking about false swagger and false confidence she should've been talking about Momo who talks about other players and their circumstances while saying she's not afraid then she goes out and chokes in matches she should win. I wonder if Sprem had of beat any other player would we start talking about that player and how they are losing it or how they will never win a big tournement again. Last time I checked not only is Sprem a good player, but Vee and Serena are human, they lose too. This sounds like the Tiger Woods Syndrome all over again in which a player or players is so dominating in their sport that when they don't perform up to the unbelievable standards they set an above average year for most players is looked as a sign they need to retire for them.

:worship:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:55 PM
She's totally wrong.

They still dominate the tour. Go Vee and Rena! What tour ? There PRESS tours ? :rolleyes:

Mariangelina
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Why did this thread get 55 responses?

Amélie's slam record is totally irrelevant. I wonder how many slams some of you guys have won. It must be an awful lot, considering all the criticism you distribute from on high.

She was asked a question. She gave a simple, honest answer. Let's face it, it's true. Why the noisemaking?

lizchris
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:36 AM
Why did this thread get 55 responses?

Amélie's slam record is totally irrelevant. I wonder how many slams some of you guys have won. It must be an awful lot, considering all the criticism you distribute from on high.

She was asked a question. She gave a simple, honest answer. Let's face it, it's true. Why the noisemaking?
Because the other players should have never been intimidated of the sisters in the first place. Do you think the sisters were ever imtimidated of Graf, Seles or anyone else?

ys
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:41 AM
I think what Mauresmo says makes sense. That the sisters are physically nowhere near the best that is obvious. And half of year past their return, they are not any closer. And that is while given a green light to all possible titles by the absence of their only real opponents of last year. The conditions will never be as favourable as they were past three months. Honestly, after Venus started winningon clay I thought she is back on track. But when she decided to play Berlin I thought - this girl is no longer thinking - she can't play that much. Losing to Myskina at RG could be considered as just a glitch. Losing to Sprem at W can not.

griffin
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:57 AM
Because the other players should have never been intimidated of the sisters in the first place. Do you think the sisters were ever imtimidated of Graf, Seles or anyone else?

Probably not, so why slam Mauresmo (or any one of a dozen players who've said the same thing) for saying they're not intimidated NOW?

lizchris
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:05 AM
Probably not, so why slam Mauresmo (or any one of a dozen players who've said the same thing) for saying they're not intimidated NOW?
Because they never should have been intimidated in the first place.

cheo23
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Well Everyone KNows When U come BAck from injury or Surgery U won't Be the Same Player when U immediately come Back on the tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So Anyways..its obvious they will struggle as they are right now....I think AMelie is just pissed off she Blew Once again Her Chance at the French Open..the REal Question a journalist should have asked is When will U stop chokin at Grand Slams or especially at the French OPen!!!!!!!!!! Okay!!!!!!!!!!! GET it Together AmeliE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

griffin
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:17 AM
Because they never should have been intimidated in the first place.

Do you want me to repeat my post, too? Or are you going to a) answer the question or b) at least start jumping up an down on every other player who's said the same thing?

Please, whether or not people should have been intimidated in the first place (and is there another lizchris or have you not slammed people for daring to think they might be able to beat Venus and/or Serena?), they're not now. How is it heresy to acknowledge that fact WHEN ASKED?

Other than your own bias, that is?

lizchris
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Well Everyone KNows When U come BAck from injury or Surgery U won't Be the Same Player when U immediately come Back on the tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So Anyways..its obvious they will struggle as they are right now....I think AMelie is just pissed off she Blew Once again Her Chance at the French Open..the REal Question a journalist should have asked is When will U stop chokin at Grand Slams or especially at the French OPen!!!!!!!!!! Okay!!!!!!!!!!! GET it Together AmeliE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well said.

She also could have reached the Wimbledon final in 2002 if she had beat Serena but all she could do was manage to win 3 games.

ys
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Well said.

She also could have reached the Wimbledon final in 2002 if she had beat Serena but all she could do was manage to win 3 games.
She could also do well at Roland Garros in 1998 if she had beaten Kournikova, but all she could do was managing to win 6 games.

lizchris
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:23 AM
Do you want me to repeat my post, too? Or are you going to a) answer the question or b) at least start jumping up an down on every other player who's said the same thing?

Please, whether or not people should have been intimidated in the first place (and is there another lizchris or have you not slammed people for daring to think they might be able to beat Venus and/or Serena?), they're not now. How is it heresy to acknowledge that fact WHEN ASKED?

Other than your own bias, that is?Amelie should not be slammed for expressing her opinion, but we have every right to disagree with what she has to say or point out some facts about how intimidating she isn't (and she isn't). I said before at least the sisters were imtimidating and that she never was and that is the truth. Another fact about Amelie re the sisters. She has only beaten Serena once and the only victory she has against Venus was the result of a retirement and she was given a walkover victory which doens't count as a vcitory for her. I'd be interested in seeing if she can at least beat Venus without Venus being hurt or beating either sister or a surface ofther than clay.

lizchris
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:24 AM
She could also do well at Roland Garros in 1998 if she had beaten Kournikova, but all she could do was managing to win 6 games.
I wasn't aware Anna was a semifinaist at the French Open in 1998 or a faovorite to win it.:rolleyes:

ys
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:26 AM
I wasn't aware Anna was a semifinaist at the French Open in 1998 or a faovorite to win it.:rolleyes:
Anna has always been a favourite.

lizchris
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:27 AM
Anna has always been a favourite.
Well, she isn't now. In fact, she isn't even ranked.

Philbo
Jun 27th, 2004, 05:59 AM
LMAO @ this thread..

Navratilova saying the smae thing before Wimbeldon was enough to get a roasting...seems some people just cant handle simple truths.

Sadka
Jun 27th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Well said Momo :kiss: :hearts:

Jakeev
Jun 27th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Serena is just gonna have to win Wimbledon I guess. And kick everyones ass to prove it.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jun 27th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Is it just me or does Amelie Mauresmo want to be a honorary William Sister or what......I mean DAYUM...this poor child has the William sisters in her mouth ALL THE TIME! What she says MIGHT be true if she had beaten them recently......come to think about when was the last time she's beaten a Williams sister..???? exactly....

Mariangelina
Jun 27th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Why is it that every time a player makes more than one comment about the Williamses, they are accused of being obsessed? The media may be obsessed, but the players aren't. They get Williams questions constantly, and I don't see why those questions should be answered any less honestly than others. As someone illustrated with the "I like pie" quote ( :lol: ) what are they supposed to say? No comment? Then they'll be accused of harbouring some sort of deep-seated resentment.

And it may be my faulty little brain, but I really don't see what Amélie's record against the Williamses has to do with anything. Are you suggesting every player who often loses to them must say only glowingly positive and reverent things? Yet we're also hearing that no one should have been "intimidated" in the first place.

What do you think Amélie should have said?

lizchris
Jun 27th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Why is it that every time a player makes more than one comment about the Williamses, they are accused of being obsessed? The media may be obsessed, but the players aren't. They get Williams questions constantly, and I don't see why those questions should be answered any less honestly than others. As someone illustrated with the "I like pie" quote ( :lol: ) what are they supposed to say? No comment? Then they'll be accused of harbouring some sort of deep-seated resentment.

And it may be my faulty little brain, but I really don't see what Amélie's record against the Williamses has to do with anything. Are you suggesting every player who often loses to them must say only glowingly positive and reverent things? Yet we're also hearing that no one should have been "intimidated" in the first place.

What do you think Amélie should have said?
Because the Williams sisters don't make comments about other players. My guess is that because they aren't concerned about or don't care about them.

She should have said what the Williams sisters have said about her recenty; nothing.

bee
Jun 27th, 2004, 11:56 AM
I think she is right!!! Its like Tiger woods.. He is also in a slump like the Williams sisters .. :) Everybody now thinks they have a chance to win against him. :) :)

griffin
Jun 27th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Amelie should not be slammed for expressing her opinion, but we have every right to disagree with what she has to say or point out some facts about how intimidating she isn't (and she isn't). I said before at least the sisters were imtimidating and that she never was and that is the truth. Another fact about Amelie re the sisters. She has only beaten Serena once and the only victory she has against Venus was the result of a retirement and she was given a walkover victory which doens't count as a vcitory for her. I'd be interested in seeing if she can at least beat Venus without Venus being hurt or beating either sister or a surface ofther than clay.

Again, should I just repeat my post (or someone else's) that pointed out she wasn't talking about their ability to win, just how other players see them now? And can you show me where Momo ever claimed to be intimidating? She's always been pretty candid about her own limitations. she may talk about what she wants to do, but she's the first to admit how much work she needs to do to get there.

She was asked a question and she answered. Lets face it, even if she had said "no comment" you'd find fault with that too.

lizchris
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Again, should I just repeat my post (or someone else's) that pointed out she wasn't talking about their ability to win, just how other players see them now? And can you show me where Momo ever claimed to be intimidating? She's always been pretty candid about her own limitations. she may talk about what she wants to do, but she's the first to admit how much work she needs to do to get there.

She was asked a question and she answered. Lets face it, even if she had said "no comment" you'd find fault with that too.
No, I woudn't. Acutally, it would be refreshing.

Mariangelina
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Seriously, lizchris, you think the Williamses get asked about Amélie Mauresmo in almost every press conference?

Amélie's opinion may be different from yours. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with expressing it.

The Williamses are the most successful active players, not counting Monica Seles, who hasn't been playing for some time now. :sad: They are also very highly visible in the media. Therefore, reporters are going to ask a lot of stupid and repetitive questions about them. Other players answer these questions. Their answers are then often taken out of context and stuck in articles that try their very hardest to make it sound like some player dares to dis the Williamses and make it look like a catfight.

What you're saying doesn't make any sense to me. Players do not make some sort of little speech at their press conference about whatever they feel like. They respond to questions. They don't control what these questions are. They answer them. If they give their opinion on something the reporters love to recycle a few different times, they are accused of being obsessed.

Do you want Amélie to say "No comment" to every Williams question?

lizchris
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Seriously, lizchris, you think the Williamses get asked about Amélie Mauresmo in almost every press conference?

Amélie's opinion may be different from yours. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with expressing it.

The Williamses are the most successful active players, not counting Monica Seles, who hasn't been playing for some time now. :sad: They are also very highly visible in the media. Therefore, reporters are going to ask a lot of stupid and repetitive questions about them. Other players answer these questions. Their answers are then often taken out of context and stuck in articles that try their very hardest to make it sound like some player dares to dis the Williamses and make it look like a catfight.

What you're saying doesn't make any sense to me. Players do not make some sort of little speech at their press conference about whatever they feel like. They respond to questions. They don't control what these questions are. They answer them. If they give their opinion on something the reporters love to recycle a few different times, they are accused of being obsessed.

Do you want Amélie to say "No comment" to every Williams question?
They don't get asked about Amelie because she is not sucessful as they are (that 's a no brainer).

If the players are stupid enough to get caught up in the reporter's game, then they only have themselves to blame when they are accused of being obesessed.

As I stated before, a no comment from her would be refressing since she is the one two year ago who said their father would rig the final so Venus could win and hasn't really had anything positive to say about them since.

Joana
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Yeah, right. And if she said "No comment" as a response to all those questions about Venus and Serena the same people would complain and bitch about it.

Mariangelina
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:25 PM
I don't see why the Williamses should be given some sort of elite status when it comes to question-answering. People shouldn't have to tiptoe around something Williams-related because it is Williams-related. Weren't you saying that no one should have been intimidated in the first place?

As "refressing" as you think a no comment would be, it would spark an even longer thread than this, and Amélie would get accused of being intimidated, Williams-obsessed, insecure/bitter/mentally ill/whatever people felt like saying at the moment.

The Williamses are wonderful, great players who have achieved more than basically all their opponents. This does not mean their opponents cannot say how they feel.

Let's face it, around 2002 the Williamses had quite an "aura of invincibility" going on. It's gradually dissipated. I think everyone has noticed this, and I think Amélie stated the obvious quite inoffensively.

lizchris
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Yeah, right. And if she said "No comment" as a response to all those questions about Venus and Serena the same people would complain and bitch about it.
No me, because as I stated before, a no comment from her would be welcome.

lizchris
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:30 PM
I don't see why the Williamses should be given some sort of elite status when it comes to question-answering. People shouldn't have to tiptoe around something Williams-related because it is Williams-related. Weren't you saying that no one should have been intimidated in the first place?

As "refressing" as you think a no comment would be, it would spark an even longer thread than this, and Amélie would get accused of being intimidated, Williams-obsessed, insecure/bitter/mentally ill/whatever people felt like saying at the moment.

The Williamses are wonderful, great players who have achieved more than basically all their opponents. This does not mean their opponents cannot say how they feel.

Let's face it, around 2002 the Williamses had quite an "aura of invincibility" going on. It's gradually dissipated. I think everyone has noticed this, and I think Amélie stated the obvious quite inoffensively.
I said that no one should be intimidated by their play and never should have been. Lindsay and Martina Hignis weren't at one time in the case of Serena, Jennifer wasn't at one time.

I said a no comment would be welcome since she is the bigmouth that stated what she said two year ago at Wimbleon about the sisters after she couldn't beat Serena to reach the final.

If the Williams sisters aren't the players they once were, then if I were her, I'd let me racquet do the talking when playing them instead of my mouth.

flyingmachine
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Yeah, her comments are true that both Serena and Venus have gotten beaten more. People why try to turn something into nothing. She answered a question from the press.
She is saying what is happening now but the William fans will feel :mad: who ever saying that.

Mariangelina
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Maybe you would think it welcome. A lot of other people wouldn't.

I just don't see why people are "supposed" to tiptoe around these Williams questions because the Williamses have won more titles. Do you really expect Amélie to answer every non-Williams question normally, then refuse to answer everything about them.

Lots of people are obsessed with the Williamses. Just read the thread. In no way does Amélie's answer indicate she is.

griffin
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:36 PM
I said that no one should be intimidated by their play and never should have been. Lindsay and Martina Hignis weren't at one time in the case of Serena, Jennifer wasn't at one time.

Right, except when players - Amelie in particular - have said they were capable of beating either sister (not that they would, simply that they believed it was possible), that they weren't "intimidated" they were also ripped left and right.

Which is why I don't believe you when you say you would welcome a "no comment." I think YOU believe it now, but I know as soon as it happens we'll be seeing a very different response.

I will agree with you that someone is obsessed here, though. ;)

lizchris
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Maybe you would think it welcome. A lot of other people wouldn't.

I just don't see why people are "supposed" to tiptoe around these Williams questions because the Williamses have won more titles. Do you really expect Amélie to answer every non-Williams question normally, then refuse to answer everything about them.

Lots of people are obsessed with the Williamses. Just read the thread. In no way does Amélie's answer indicate she is.
I didn't say that anyone should tiptoe around the Williams sisters. In fact, with some players, all you have to do is mention their names and they get diarrhea of the mouth and that is what the press wants to start something. The Williams sisters know this and don't get sucked into this. Good education and PR is the reason why.

As far as winning a lot of titles, Lindsay has won more titles than either sister (40, I think), but I don't see many plalyers concerned about her.

Freewoman33
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Amlie Mauresmo has not earned the right to talk about anybody's situation. It's not about whether what she's saying is right or wrong, it's the fact that she's not embarrased to talk about other players taking advantage when she's the mean person who should be taking advantage but isn't. That just makes her sound so stupid.

Sonja
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Funny nobody has a problem with the journalists asking these questions, just the players responding to them. I think when you're a Top 10 player, you've earned the right to answer the reporters' questions.

donna
Jun 27th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Freewoman33,i think you need a strong drink and calm down!!
The fact is, Serena and Venus are not as strong as they were,just look at their combined results at the slams so far.
As for my rock,i don't have one!

pcrtennis
Jun 27th, 2004, 06:38 PM
She should worry about the fact that she can't beat the Williams Sisters! And that she chokes everytime she is in a big match!!! She is so obnoxious...

Veritas
Jun 27th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Funny nobody has a problem with the journalists asking these questions, just the players responding to them. I think when you're a Top 10 player, you've earned the right to answer the reporters' questions.

And a player has the right to say "no comment" or simply not respond to the question. I just think that both journalist and player are responsible for whatever's been reported - maybe more so the journalists.

Freewoman33
Jun 27th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Donna, I think you need to take your head out of the bottle and stay sober
long enough to read and understand/comprehend my posts.

lizchris
Jun 27th, 2004, 06:52 PM
She should worry about the fact that she can't beat the Williams Sisters! And that she chokes everytime she is in a big match!!! She is so obnoxious...
:worship::worship: :worship: on all points except being obnoxious. I really don't think she is.

Meteor Shower
Jun 27th, 2004, 07:00 PM
i don't think that saying "no comment" was something you would say if you were her
it's easy to say after the question already been told

Mariangelina
Jun 27th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Okay, Amélie has problems with big matches, so she's not allowed to say anything remotely critical about anyone else until she fixes her problems? If this was logical, it would follow that a few people here should not be trying to post until they learn to spell three-syllable words. I don't see that stopping anyone.

The Lindsay comparison doesn't make a lot of sense. She won her titles over a longer period of time and never dominated in the same way, and she was never a big media star.

And as griffin said, when Amélie says she can be Number 1/win a slam/beat the Williamses, there's always some long, ridiculous thread calling her arrogant.

Lizchris, I really don't understand what offends you about the couple sentences Amélie said. She was right and didn't say anything bad about them. They are not as invincible as they used to be. Do you agree?

DeDe4925
Jun 27th, 2004, 09:45 PM

:worship: :worship: :clap2: :clap2: :worship: :worship:

lizchris
Jun 27th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Okay, Amélie has problems with big matches, so she's not allowed to say anything remotely critical about anyone else until she fixes her problems? If this was logical, it would follow that a few people here should not be trying to post until they learn to spell three-syllable words. I don't see that stopping anyone.

The Lindsay comparison doesn't make a lot of sense. She won her titles over a longer period of time and never dominated in the same way, and she was never a big media star.

And as griffin said, when Amélie says she can be Number 1/win a slam/beat the Williamses, there's always some long, ridiculous thread calling her arrogant.

Lizchris, I really don't understand what offends you about the couple sentences Amélie said. She was right and didn't say anything bad about them. They are not as invincible as they used to be. Do you agree?
They were never invincible to begin with. The problem the other players had with the Williams was mental. They felt that when they stepped out on the court wiht the sisters, they were so good that they couldn't win. Thankfully, Richard and Oracene kept telling their daughters to believe they were the best even when they were not and that in part propelled them to play very well.

What bothers me about Amelie is that for some reason ever since that beating Serena gave her at the Wimbledo semifinal two years ago, she seems to have something against them.

gentenaire
Jun 28th, 2004, 06:03 AM
So let me get this straight, she's not supposed to answer any questions, she's not supposed to think of anything else but how to beat the Williams sisters. And when she does just that, concentrates only on beating them, you won't call her obsessed with the sisters?

Sam L
Jun 28th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Go Amelie! :clap2: Very well said.

Couver
Jun 28th, 2004, 06:43 AM
First things first. She can say whatever she wants. I mean that shouldn't even be a discussion.

I would just hope that all the people here defending Amelie would do the same for Venus and Serena. I don't see that many of you popping up everytime a thread analyzing everything Serena's says in a match is created. Isn't that the same thing?

Cause if Venus had said this about Hingis or Lindsay back in 1999 this place would have lit up like a wildfire.

The fact remains that people don't like other players to say things about their fave. And people will defend what another play says especially if it's some critique of a player posters tend to dislike. Look at many of the bravo Amelie's, I don't think they give a rats ass what Amelie normally says. But hey now she's talking about V&S

For the record I believe Amelie's comments are true in Venus's case. Serena has only played 5 events not counting Wimbledon, she hasn't lost before the quarters except when she withdrew. So if Serena's lost her aura half the tour doesn't have one either. In fact as we speak Kim and Justine are losing theirs.

Experimentee
Jun 28th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Everyone agrees that they aren't intimidating anymore. They are not unbeatable and everyone knows it.

They were never unbeatable. Even two years ago they still lost matches. So why make a big deal of it now?

Knizzle
Jun 28th, 2004, 07:06 AM
It's very easy to say "No Comment" or "I can only talk about my game", but it's Momo's choice to comment. She is not forced too. When the press tries to get these types of quotes from the WS then sisters usually answer with one of the above 2 responses or they say something nice about their peers. That's all I'm saying. And it's not like she hasn't said negative things about the sisters in the press before.

Junex
Jun 28th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Got one freewoman....I think Momo should be worrying more about how with a WIDE open draw at this year´s French she still couldn´t manage to better than all the other years.

of course the sisters aren´t as good as they were, but they already are greats. You otoh, time´s running for you..because the next generation is already making noise.

This thread is about an answer of Momo to a question from a press which happen to talk about Rena and Venus 's intimimidating factor and how it has chance for the past year. It is not something Williams fan should be mad about and bashed Momo for giving her opinion on the matter.

Yeah, she had nothing good to say about the WS, but cmon we all know what she is right this time.

Perhaps you could attend some post match press conference on Momo and ask her why she is a big choker, but please dnt put her in a bad note this time. What she said is a fair opinion.

Junex
Jun 28th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Amlie Mauresmo has not earned the right to talk about anybody's situation. It's not about whether what she's saying is right or wrong, it's the fact that she's not embarrased to talk about other players taking advantage when she's the mean person who should be taking advantage but isn't. That just makes her sound so stupid.

what earned you the right to talk about Amelie by the way?

the problem with you is that ur so closeminded. Anybody has any right to talk about anything regarding a particular person. Thats FREEDOM of EXPRESSION for you, otherwise you can always file a libel suit.

The more she has the right because she was asked to response and she did fairly. I think a "no comment" response is a big hypocrisy.

Junex
Jun 28th, 2004, 08:58 AM
It's very easy to say "No Comment" or "I can only talk about my game", but it's Momo's choice to comment. She is not forced too. When the press tries to get these types of quotes from the WS then sisters usually answer with one of the above 2 responses or they say something nice about their peers. That's all I'm saying. And it's not like she hasn't said negative things about the sisters in the press before.

C'mon lets not be hypocrite her now.

I am a Venus fan but I respect that she has her views about other players, she is not dumb to answer "no-comment" or scared as playing safe "I can only talk about my game".

Could you just do that, respect Momo's views. Sometimes it hurts too much when you hear the truth from a person from the other side of the fence. Momo may have said so many rubbish in the past against the WS but this time I still say she is right. Anyone on tour has the same views regarding WS dominance.

bandabou
Jun 28th, 2004, 10:24 AM
well, I guess that because Momo has such a baaaaaaddddd history of talking trash about the Williamses: they are boring, they´re bad for the game, etc...that after a time it gets annoying when you hear her AGAIN giving comments about the Williamses.

But this time she is right....their results don´t warrant any talk about aura. Although at least Serena has been more consistent in her results than Venus.

Knizzle
Jun 28th, 2004, 05:42 PM
C'mon lets not be hypocrite her now.

I am a Venus fan but I respect that she has her views about other players, she is not dumb to answer "no-comment" or scared as playing safe "I can only talk about my game".

You don't know Venus Williams then.

Could you just do that, respect Momo's views. Sometimes it hurts too much when you hear the truth from a person from the other side of the fence. Momo may have said so many rubbish in the past against the WS but this time I still say she is right. Anyone on tour has the same views regarding WS dominance.
We respect her views, just like Nav's, but she constantly has the name of the WS in her mouth. Momo has to be smarter than to be baited into making these comments because all the press is going to do is run back to Serena and Venus and ask them what they think about what Momo said about them and the sisters will have to diffuse the press by saying something like. "That's her opinion, I can't really talk about that"

harloo
Jun 28th, 2004, 05:50 PM
First things first. She can say whatever she wants. I mean that shouldn't even be a discussion.

I would just hope that all the people here defending Amelie would do the same for Venus and Serena. I don't see that many of you popping up everytime a thread analyzing everything Serena's says in a match is created. Isn't that the same thing?

Cause if Venus had said this about Hingis or Lindsay back in 1999 this place would have lit up like a wildfire.

The fact remains that people don't like other players to say things about their fave. And people will defend what another play says especially if it's some critique of a player posters tend to dislike. Look at many of the bravo Amelie's, I don't think they give a rats ass what Amelie normally says. But hey now she's talking about V&S

For the record I believe Amelie's comments are true in Venus's case. Serena has only played 5 events not counting Wimbledon, she hasn't lost before the quarters except when she withdrew. So if Serena's lost her aura half the tour doesn't have one either. In fact as we speak Kim and Justine are losing theirs.
:D :worship: :worship:

DeDe4925
Jun 28th, 2004, 06:16 PM

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

griffin
Jun 28th, 2004, 06:24 PM
“these comments”? Oh give me a break. The only thing I can see that is wrong with “these comments” is that they came out of Amelie’s mouth. Which is pretty much what it always boils down to when people start complaining about Amelie “talking trash” about the Williams or “always having their names in her mouth”

Mauresmo did make one set of dumb-ass comments around Wimby 2002 – which even she later admitted were born of her own frustration AT HERSELF for blowing chances and/or losing to them. I wish she’d just flat-out apologized, but I can’t put words in her mouth.

On the other hand, she did back off of them, and if you actually read her interviews without looking for insults, you’d realize that those 2002 comments were and still are very much out of character for her. The rest of “having their names in her mouth” amounts to – God forbid – believing in herself enough to think she has a CHANCE of beating them.

You want to judge her and everything she says here everafter based on one lapse in judgement, I can’t stop you. But please keep in mind if we hold those of you who are ripping her to the same standards, then we all get to assume the worst about all of your posts, too – because every last one of you has posted something over-the-line obnoxious at least once, too.

(and yes, many of the same harmless comments made by Venus or Serena would be/are greeted by howls of outrage from some quarters. That would be/is stupid and unfair. It just doesn’t then become less stupid or more fair to subject other players to that same kind of treatment. And if you understand that journo’s sometimes take Venus and Serena’s comments out of context and try to put them in the worst possible light, why is it you don’t understand that this happens to others as well?)

luna, I hope I don't need to remind you or anyone else that I have spent a fair amount of time defending V & S - and I'm not talking about as an admin, either.

I’m done, really.

bandabou
Jun 28th, 2004, 06:35 PM
“these comments”? Oh give me a break. The only thing I can see that is wrong with “these comments” is that they came out of Amelie’s mouth. Which is pretty much what it always boils down to when people start complaining about Amelie “talking trash” about the Williams or “always having their names in her mouth”

Mauresmo did make one set of dumb-ass comments around Wimby 2002 – which even she later admitted were born of her own frustration AT HERSELF for blowing chances and/or losing to them. I wish she’d just flat-out apologized, but I can’t put words in her mouth.

On the other hand, she did back off of them, and if you actually read her interviews without looking for insults, you’d realize that those 2002 comments were and still are very much out of character for her. The rest of “having their names in her mouth” amounts to – God forbid – believing in herself enough to think she has a CHANCE of beating them.

You want to judge her and everything she says here everafter based on one lapse in judgement, I can’t stop you. But please keep in mind if we hold those of you who are ripping her to the same standards, then we all get to assume the worst about all of your posts, too – because every last one of you has posted something over-the-line obnoxious at least once, too.

(and yes, many of the same harmless comments made by Venus or Serena would be/are greeted by howls of outrage from some quarters. That would be/is stupid and unfair. It just doesn’t then become less stupid or more fair to subject other players to that same kind of treatment. And if you understand that journo’s sometimes take Venus and Serena’s comments out of context and try to put them in the worst possible light, why is it you don’t understand that this happens to others as well?)

luna, I hope I don't need to remind you or anyone else that I have spent a fair amount of time defending V & S - and I'm not talking about as an admin, either.

I’m done, really.

Well, if you say someone winning is boring and bad for the game....then there isn´t much left to be taken out of context....her own words, she was the one who said them.

And when did she back off them'?! When they got injured?! It´s too easy then, no?!

lizchris
Jun 28th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Well, if you say someone winning is boring and bad for the game....then there isn´t much left to be taken out of context....her own words, she was the one who said them.

And when did she back off them'?! When they got injured?! It´s too easy then, no?!
I was wondering the same thing. I don't remember her ever backing off those comments either.

griffin
Jun 28th, 2004, 06:40 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I don't remember her ever backing off those comments either.

It was the following fall (they weren't injured, I don't think, but she was by the end of the season). Needless to say, those comments didn't get much (any) coverage in the US press - or in general. As some of you have pointed out before, the press prefers to write about things that sound controvertial.

bandabou
Jun 28th, 2004, 06:43 PM
It was the following fall. Needless to say, those comments didn't get much (any) coverage in the US press - or in general. As some of you have pointed out before, the press prefers to write about things that sound controvertial.

well, if you say those comments when you just got beaten by one of them at WIMBLEDON!!, I think that IS asking for trouble.

And show me an article, a thing about her backing off...

lizchris
Jun 28th, 2004, 06:47 PM
It was the following fall (they weren't injured, I don't think, but she was by the end of the season). Needless to say, those comments didn't get much (any) coverage in the US press - or in general. As some of you have pointed out before, the press prefers to write about things that sound controvertial.
I will take your word for it, but I think you can understand why some of us Williams fan feel the way we do aobut Amelie.

griffin
Jun 28th, 2004, 06:54 PM
well, if you say those comments when you just got beaten by one of them at WIMBLEDON!!, I think that IS asking for trouble.

And show me an article, a thing about her backing off...

bandabou, I don't archive things, and I'm not about to go scouring the web. You can a) try doing it yourself b) take my word for it (I've already said her comments were wrong, and that she should have appologized but never fully did so - why would I lie about the backing off bit?) c) or not.

I don't expect people to like her, or what she has to say. I do think some of you'd be pretty unhappy if people judged you with the same standards and inflexibility you're using to judge her.

:wavey:

bandabou
Jun 28th, 2004, 07:23 PM
bandabou, I don't archive things, and I'm not about to go scouring the web. You can a) try doing it yourself b) take my word for it (I've already said her comments were wrong, and that she should have appologized but never fully did so - why would I lie about the backing off bit?) c) or not.

I don't expect people to like her, or what she has to say. I do think some of you'd be pretty unhappy if people judged you with the same standards and inflexibility you're using to judge her.

:wavey:

I´ll take your word...but the difference between me and Momo is that when I say something wrong I´man enough to apologize....not the same can be said about Momo...all she could do was some meakly backing off, never had the guts to apologize to the williamses for saying they were bad for the game.

Truthwillout
Jun 28th, 2004, 08:36 PM
I´ll take your word...but the difference between me and Momo is that when I say something wrong I´man enough to apologize....

Not true. If it were true you would be apologising for every post you make :tape: :tape:

bandabou
Jun 28th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Not true. If it were true you would be apologising for every post you make :tape: :tape:

If I said something stupid in every one of my posts, I´d...