PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon's over before it began

tennisIlove09
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:21 AM
I know it started on Monday, but I haven't been watching/couldn't watch because it was my last week of school and I was swamped. Now that Vee is out, I have no interest in watching. For the first time ever, I'll go a year without seeing a single match at Wimbledon :lol: (hmmm...although I did see Roddick get up 4-2 before the rain...does that count?)

Vass22
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:51 AM
What has been crazier: RG or this? Many favourites are already out. I mean those who were tipped to win or atleast reach the semis.

ans
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:43 PM
You should change your thread-title into: "Wimbledon is over before it began, for me." We're not all venus-fans, you know.

sartrista7
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Why do you think anyone would remotely care that you're too dumb to appreciate the great tennis still on offer?

Player fans suck.

bee
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:42 PM
this year's wimbledon seems to lack the excitement.. that previous wimby had...
It might be because the belgian players are not there... and the williams sisters not playing that well...
The elimination of Myskina and Dementieve didn't help either... :) :)

Bright Red
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:58 PM
It's still going on for me because I'm a huge fan of Serena. I also am curious to see how well Sprem does. She was obviously impressive during her match against Venus, and if she can hopefully maintain that level I expect her to go deep into the draw.

Also, I'm a fan of Roddick and Federer so I should be OK for a while.

wongqks
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:09 PM
If anything this year Wimbledon is more exciting for me.

It will be intereesting to see who will step up and take the opportunity in the bottom half of the draw.

We are also treated with some great tennis this week on both men and women side. Nothing to complain about. Too bad Belgians are not here, or it will be even better

SJW
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:42 PM
i like more players than just Venus and i had a blast while i was there so i'ma keep watching :)

Strange Famous
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:57 PM
I guess you just arent that much of a tennis fan, I mean, thats cool - but why register on a board dedicated to tennis, just to tell people you dont much like tennis?

I suppose all 14,000 posts you have created here have been about Venus Williams too?

tennisIlove09
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:53 PM
I do like tennis, but I'm not into Wimbledon this year. Venus going out just makes that more clear. I made a post before Wimbledon began saying I wasn't exicited. :rolleyes:

esquímaux
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Player fans suck.:hug: Not true babe :kiss: My Chanda was out before she even stepped on court, but I'm still ecstatic about the playing field. I understand where' you're coming from though :tape::Player fans::retard:

WorldWar24
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:58 PM
:hug: Not true babe :kiss: My Chanda was out before she even stepped on court, but I'm still ecstatic about the playing field. I understand where' you're coming from though :tape::Player fans::retard:

You're obviously not a player fan. You must love tennis otherwise you wouldn't watch much tennis coz Rubin doesn't usually make it that deep into tournaments, and she's been injured too;)

esquímaux
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:58 PM
I do like tennis, but I'm not into Wimbledon this year. Venus going out just makes that more clear. I made a post before Wimbledon began saying I wasn't exicited. :rolleyes:
No offense D, although it'll be hard not to, but nobody gives a flying moonball :p

fammmmedspin
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:00 PM
With Sprem. Sharapova and Golovin showing why they are likely to be in the top 10 in the very near future and Hantuchova on the way back this is potentially one of the great changeover Wimbledons in tennis history. Its also may be the last outing for a few other players who will be missed. Seems pretty odd to claim it is a poor competition - ut may be the scene setter for the rest of the decade.

esquímaux
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:01 PM
You're obviously not a player fan. You must love tennis otherwise you wouldn't watch much tennis coz Rubin doesn't usually make it that deep into tournaments, and she's been injured too;)
I'm a player fan, just not an over-obsessive-neurotic-egghead-Chanda-will-crush-and-dominate-all-bowdown-to-the-Rubinator- fan :lol:;)

Ballbuster
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:02 PM

Not get lost! Life goes on. some of us still got faves to root for.

Venus Forever
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:03 PM
this year's wimbledon seems to lack the excitement.. that previous wimby had...
It might be because the belgian players are not there... and the williams sisters not playing that well...
The elimination of Myskina and Dementieve didn't help either... :) :)
Women's tennis has sucked in general for the past two years. Not because Venus or Serena were injured, or because the Belgians were dominating or whatever. There's just no excitement. Either the players are injured, or they are not playing good tennis.

Yes, it's great for those who are not considered to be one of the elite's as they have a chance now, but the quality in general has gone down.

I want those Venus vs. Hingis matches, I want those Hingis vs. Davenport matches, or those Venus vs. Davenport and Serena vs. Henin-Hardenne matches. The match-ups now are just very boring.

SJW
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:04 PM
With Sprem. Sharapova and Golovin showing why they are likely to be in the top 10 in the very near future and Hantuchova on the way back this is potentially one of the great changeover Wimbledons in tennis history. Its also may be the last outing for a few other players who will be missed. Seems pretty odd to claim it is a poor competition - ut may be the scene setter for the rest of the decade.
:haha: at the Hantuchova hype...YET AGAIN.

i suppose the second round at Wimbledon means she's the next women's #1 huh? :o

mboyle
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:04 PM
This year is so exciting! Three up and comers all playing so well (Golovin, Sharapova, Sprem,) Capriati and Serena both playing amazingly and rushing towards what ought to be a spectacular Quarter-Final, Amy Frazier having one last hurrah in beating the world no. 3 after Amy has been playing tennis for almost 15 years, and Lindsay Davenport with her best chance in several years to take her much desired fourth major. This isn't exciting to you???

Then the men: Roddick and Federer seem poised to produce spectacular tennis all the way to the finals, though Tim Henman's incredible play of late should see him push Roddick in the semis, if Taylor Dent does not upset A-Rod first (in what should be another marquee match.) Robby Ginepri has delighted me and others with his first good Wimby showing, and has a real shot to make the semis. For the first time in years, I am legitimately excited about the men's draw.

esquímaux
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:07 PM
This year is so exciting! Three up and comers all playing so well (Golovin, Sharapova, Sprem,)

..and Kuzzie too! :kiss:

sartrista7
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:10 PM
I'm a player fan, just not an over-obsessive-neurotic-egghead-Chanda-will-crush-and-dominate-all-bowdown-to-the-Rubinator- fan :lol:;)

Oh, everyone has their favourite player... but only stupid people stop being interested in a tournament when he/she/they go out. And only deeply weird people tell posters on an internet message board, as if anyone cares.

ys
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:11 PM
It is OK. Men's draw is still excellent. Women's draw.. I will watch it till the last match, as long as does not end up being a Serena-Lindsay final. That one I'll have no interest of watching.. But it won't happen I am sure.

esquímaux
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Oh, everyone has their favourite player... but only stupid people stop being interested in a tournament when he/she/they go out. And only deeply weird people tell posters on an internet message board, as if anyone cares.
:lol: Couldn't have said it better myself :kiss: http://www.wtaworld.com/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif Remind me to rep you latta http://www.wtaworld.com/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif (my repwhoring has maxed out for today :p)

fammmmedspin
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:18 PM
:haha: at the Hantuchova hype...YET AGAIN.

i suppose the second round at Wimbledon means she's the next women's #1 huh? :o
She's playing like a top ten player again and getting better - the top 10 is opening up. She lost to the player who is playing best so far. Quite a few top tenners would like those prospects.

gentenaire
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:29 PM
I thought Wimbledon was over for me as well when I thought I wouldn't be able to see a single match live (can't watch during the week, today it rained and they never play on middle Sunday) but now that they've decided that they will play tomorrow after all, Wimbledon is not quite over yet :bounce:

tennisIlove09
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:53 PM
So why start another thread just to say you haven't seen a match?? :confused: :confused:

cause I can ;) It's the beauty of the "post" button

tennisIlove09
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Women's tennis has sucked in general for the past two years. Not because Venus or Serena were injured, or because the Belgians were dominating or whatever. There's just no excitement. Either the players are injured, or they are not playing good tennis.

Yes, it's great for those who are not considered to be one of the elite's as they have a chance now, but the quality in general has gone down.

I want those Venus vs. Hingis matches, I want those Hingis vs. Davenport matches, or those Venus vs. Davenport and Serena vs. Henin-Hardenne matches. The match-ups now are just very boring.

:worship: :worship: :worship: Amen! Men's tennis use to be boring, and I find it more exiciting. The women's game sucks right now.

wongqks
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Everytime when we see a change of guards, we see people complaining about the level going down. A prime example is towards the start of 2000 when people complain that the new generation in men tennis is not producing the level which Sampras and Agassi once set. We had a lot of debate over that, and look at it now, can we honestly say that the quality of tennis in agassi Sampras era is superior to right now with Federer and Roddick etc?

This goes to the same debate in women tennis, we are seeing a potential change of guards now and the Williams sisters has looked like their level has dipped. But are they really? Or has the the other women catch up? I remmeber two years ago, people are complaining the other women are not dedicate enough to challeneg the Williams sisters. Now that they did we are complaining Williams sisters level dipped and the tennis is no longer compelling?

Whatever happen, it is true that Russians and Belgians has improved their level to challenge the dominant Americans we see in the early 2000. Is it fair to discredit them and purely say that the MAerican women are no longer playing as wel as they did? or it is that the other players has catch up and make it looks like the american women level has dipped?

It may be true right now that women tennis may not be as compelling before becuase the current crop are not yet household name yet? But as long as they continue and reach the top flight of tennis, we will soon relishing at the same rivalry we once saw in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Until then just enjopy the new crop of tennis players and appreciate their talents.

wongqks
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Anotehr point I want to make is that williams sisters has been with a lot of injuries before and come back and dominate the tour again pretty quickly. Is it a conincidence that this time when both came back, they ahve been struggling to return to top flight whereas it didn't happen before when they return from injury? Does it say something about the quality of tennis from the other top women tennis player?

tennisIlove09
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Everytime when we see a change of guards, we see people complaining about the level going down. A prime example is towards the start of 2000 when people complain that the new generation in men tennis is not producing the level which Sampras and Agassi once set. We had a lot of debate over that, and look at it now, can we honestly say that the quality of tennis in agassi Sampras era is superior to right now with Federer and Roddick etc?

This goes to the same debate in women tennis, we are seeing a potential change of guards now and the Williams sisters has looked like their level has dipped. But are they really? Or has the the other women catch up? I remmeber two years ago, people are complaining the other women are not dedicate enough to challeneg the Williams sisters. Now that they did we are complaining Williams sisters level dipped and the tennis is no longer compelling?

Whatever happen, it is true that Russians and Belgians has improved their level to challenge the dominant Americans we see in the early 2000. Is it fair to discredit them and purely say that the MAerican women are no longer playing as wel as they did? or it is that the other players has catch up and make it looks like the american women level has dipped?

It may be true right now that women tennis may not be as compelling before becuase the current crop are not yet household name yet? But as long as they continue and reach the top flight of tennis, we will soon relishing at the same rivalry we once saw in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Until then just enjopy the new crop of tennis players and appreciate their talents.

Very interesting post

wongqks
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Very interesting post

I wrote this post becuase I was in your position 2 months ago, I lost interest in women tennis, and I hardly even care who won those tournaments between Feb till French Open. My fav Monica had been out for so long, and we no longer see those personalities so to speak, but then in the end, I appreciate this may well be a transition period and maybe people will find it interesting again

ys
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:44 PM
She's playing like a top ten player again and getting better - the top 10 is opening up. She lost to the player who is playing best so far. Quite a few top tenners would like those prospects.
You gotta be kidding. She played one decent tournament and was next to useless yesterday. One decent tournament says nothing. Dokic played an excellent tournament in Zurich. As it turned out, it meant nothing. And with her being as slow and inertious as she was yesterday, she will be beaten like a drum by powerful and quick players of Top 10.

esquímaux
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Gosh! I never "lose interest" in tennis. There's just too much to love even when my favourtie isn't playing :inlove:

faste5683
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:35 PM
..and Kuzzie too! :kiss:

How could ANYONE forget the KUZZIE?!

:eek:

:wavey: