PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova is NOT Russian, she is American...

vogus
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Sharapova has been living in this country since she was 5 years old, she's grown up American, speaks English with a perfect suburban U.S. accent. That's why the U.S. tennis industry is marketing her so heavily, because they know Maria's "Americanized" image is going to sell far better here than those of the TRUE Russians like Myskina, Dementieva, Zvonareva, and Kuznetsova ever could.

Maria is an immigrant to the U.S. - she might not have formally changed her citizenship but for all intents and purposes she is American - just like Alex Bogomolov (USA) and Alex Kuznetsov (USA) and many other young tennis players whose parents immigrated to the U.S. from Russia. The only difference is, the marketers think it gives Maria a selling edge to retain her (RUS) label - and they are probly right.

ys
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:00 AM
who cares..

MrYonex
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Yeah, Maria still speaks Russian with her family and she gets taught all of her lessons from school in Russian, and she says she is Russian at heart, so why dont you just back off! Let her be what she wants to be!

vogus
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:24 AM
what she says and what she is are two different things. She (and the tennis press) are playing up all that "I get Russian schooling at home" stuff to the hilt for marketing reasons. It's just part of the hype machine. Whether she admits it or not, Sharapova's American.

rada
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Sharapova's American. LOL if really cared she would be playing for them...;)

Go Sharapova do the russian's proud

Experimentee
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:40 AM
She is whatever she identifies with subjectively, not what you or any others think she is.
It seems like she identifies most with Russia, as she is playing for them and hasnt expressed any intention to play for the US.
So you can keep wishing shes American, but she is Russian at heart.

hewittrok
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:02 AM
I hope she loses to Davemport, out of the topic....sorry

CooCooCachoo
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Very much off-topic :p

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Sharapova has been living in this country since she was 5 years old...
Since 7 years old actually.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:38 AM
...she gets taught all of her lessons from school in Russian

Actually Sharapova attends American high school on-line.

But Masha does try to visit her relatives in Russia twice a year.

Volcana
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:55 AM
As long as her citizenship is Russian, she's Russian. When Bush re-institutes the draft, women may have to register. If Sharapova has to register, then she's an American.

Vass22
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:13 PM
She's Russian as long as she feels Russian. That's why she doesn't want to be American. And I don't realy care why she is promoted in USA. If America can't get someone american-born to get famous...
I also lived in an arab country since 7, but I'm now 17 and I love Russia more than Russians who live there. That doesn't make me arab or the fact that I speak with pure American pronounciation doesn't make me American.

Vass22
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:15 PM
As long as her citizenship is Russian, she's Russian. When Bush re-institutes the draft, women may have to register. If Sharapova has to register, then she's an American.
I'd say that she's Russian as long as she feels Russian. There are millions of people who have one citizenship but who keep calling themselves Russian/French/Indian/Aussie/Spanish/etc.

propi
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Kuznetshova, Safina, Marat and others speak perfect Spanish and have been training here for years... does it make them Spaniards¿¿ no if they wanted to be, they'd apply for nationalization... same goes with María and others
:rolleyes:

ans
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Still she's Russian.

Daniel
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:34 PM
She is Russian and that is the end of the story.

!<blocparty>!
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:40 PM
she is still Russian.

Some of my relatives have been living in Wales for most of their lives, but still consider themselves 100% english.

vutt
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:45 PM
I remember last year Olga Morozova (now Elena D's coach) was commentating Dokic-Sharapova match and admitted openly that Russians should take the blame why she left Russia. Government had zero interest in tennis that time. She even said that if she will take US citizenship then it would be fair, because she's a product of US tennis school!

jdog3008
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Sharapova speaks English with a perfect suburban U.S. accent
She does NOT speak with an American accent!! She is very clearly foreign born. She also makes many mistakes when speaking English. She doesn't appear to have been Americanized as you think. If she wants to play for Russia, than she is Russian.

~|Naomi|~
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:12 PM
You wish she was American

azza
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:14 PM
:retard: hes having a cry bout maria not being Usa :haha:

*JR*
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Probably Lena D. has the least accent of the Russians (and is a Fluent Francophone).
Momo and Marion live around Geneve.
Peppermint Patty and Jeca wanna be Ozzies. (Kim???).
Le Placid Parisian now lives (with fiancee) in Belgium.
Petrova Polish resident (with Dutch coach, BTW).

And the infamous "Rational Danny" of GoTennis proclaimed the W/S Unamerican in '02, so this is truly "a sport without borders".

flyingmachine
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:27 PM
If Sharapova feel Russian and wants to be presented as a Russian player then that's fine for me. At the end of the day is her decision weather she wants to be Russian or not. Identity is a very personal thing just like my friend who was born in U.K. from an half Italian family but she's always feel more as a Italian then as a British. Also I feel I am an English person even through I look like an Asian and my family is Chinese and some people think I should be an English because I don't look like a typical English person.

Martian Willow
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:32 PM
...she is more American than Martina is Swiss... :)

charmedRic
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Probably Lena D. has the least accent of the Russians (and is a Fluent Francophone).
Momo and Marion live around Geneve.
Peppermint Patty and Jeca wanna be Ozzies. (Kim???).
Le Placid Parisian now lives (with fiancee) in Belgium.
Petrova Polish resident (with Dutch coach, BTW).

And the infamous "Rational Danny" of GoTennis proclaimed the W/S Unamerican in '02, so this is truly "a sport without borders".
Amen.

Vass22
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:49 PM
...she is more American than Martina is Swiss... :)
:haha: Good one. She's Russian. I'm pretty amazed why she doesn't know english properly though.

SilK
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Maria is Russian! This thread is just stupid...

I mean, I was born in Hungary, But I'm living in Holland since 18 years, I am still Hungarian. Not Dutch... :|

SerialKiller#69
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Of all the Russian girls including Anna, Maria seems to be the most Americanized. I dunno. Just my perception.:shrug:

thelittlestelf
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:57 PM
For living in America for so long, she does still have a [very small] Russian accent... that puzzles me.

Strange Famous
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Sharapova sounds like a Russian name to me?

the cat
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:33 PM
If Maria was already an American citizen she would have much bigger endorsement contracts than she does.

As far as her citizenship goes I don't mind her staying a Russian citizen if that's what she wants to do. Masha has said publicly she couldn't see herslf living in Russia so I am surprised the USTA hasn't put the full court press on Mashara to become an American citizen and reap the financial rewards of being an American female tennis star.

Martian Jeza
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Respect for that girl. At least, she does show love for her origines. She also doesn't renounce her origines... Keep on going like that Maria.

Fantastic
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Maria is an expatriate. She is from Russia but lives overseas and works internationally. She is still Russian as long as all her official documents and her heart says so.

CJ07
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:11 PM
I completely disagree. Where you live doesn't make you a part of that country. I know a girl from France that has lived here since she was 6, and she is very much considered French. Heck, some people whose parents are both from one country but they were born in the us still consider themselves a part of their mother nation.

It depends on the individual, but I really think Sharapova is Russian. It really pisses me off how the American media always says "well she's not really Russian". That's just retarted.

Tatiana Golovin, however, I could see how she can say she's French.

GoDominique
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Doesn't matter, I hate her anyway. :)

vogus
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:24 PM
She is not an expatriate. When you're an expatriate you don't get fully assimilated into the culture of the country you're living in. Maria is a Russian immigrant to the United States. It's funny because a lot of Russians (actually, they are first-generation Russian-Americans) say the same thing about the U.S. - they say don't like the country and don't have it in their heart, but on the other hand they want all the benefits of living here and having citizenship. But at some point, when they've stayed here long enough, they can't have it both ways anymore. Like many of the Russian-born juniors who are now playing for the U.S., Maria is past that point. As somebody said, she is a lot more American than Martina Hingis is Swiss.

And there always is a big demand in the U.S. media for a glamorous, white female tennis star - a position that has been vacant for the past few years since Kournikova went Hollywood. The hype machine is already in place, all they need is someone to hype. Sharapova is the obvious candidate for the job.

the cat
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Interesting points vogus. But unless Maria really wants to become an American citizen it won't happen. And as Russian born men's tennis player Dmitri Tursunov said the other day having an American passport is in part keeping him from beocoming an American citizen. I'm sure there are people telling Maria and her parents that having an American passport at this time in our worlds history is more dangerous than having a Russian passport at this time. But none of really know what Masha is really thinking about all of this. If she's happy as a Russian citizen then she should stay a Russian citizen no matter where she lives.

©@®eLess
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:42 PM
yes so Venusia Williamsova, Jeni Capriatieva and Chanda Rubinova are Russians :)

the cat
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:09 PM
LOL @ Dulemi! :lol: Good one! ;)

SilK
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:25 PM
though, it's an interesting point about Golovin...

she's born in Russia, but she is French... a well, Pierce plays for France as well.

starr
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:47 PM
She does NOT speak with an American accent!! She is very clearly foreign born. She also makes many mistakes when speaking English. She doesn't appear to have been Americanized as you think. If she wants to play for Russia, than she is Russian.
Yeah. It's kind of odd that she has lived here since she was 7 and her English isn't any better than it is.

I've known people who have come to live in this country when they were 12 or 13 and speak much better than Maria.

I'd say that she must have been speaking Russian more than English to have managed to keep so heavy an accent after all these years.

AleOrtu
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Sharapova has been living in this country since she was 5 years old, she's grown up American, speaks English with (...)

Which country??
Because America is not a country :(
It is a continent.

Anyway, Gisela Dulko moved to Miami (United States) for more than 2 years, to rise her ranking playing the challengers and other tournaments in this country, she speaks perfect english but she never changed her nationality, in fact she was our hero in Fed Cup vs Japan, last round.

fammmmedspin
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Oh dear. What happened to the idea of finding an American player to replace, Jen. Monica. lindsay. Chanda, Amy and anyone else who might retire in the next few years? As an awful lot of tennis players live in Florida someone will be claiming anyone with a house in the USA next. Before we know it it will be like shipping where Liberia has the biggest fleet except with tennis players it will be Monaco or somewhere.

propi
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Which country??
Because America is not a country :(
It is a continent.

Anyway, Gisela Dulko moved to Miami (United States) for more than 2 years, to rise her ranking playing the challengers and other tournaments in this country, she speaks perfect english but she never changed her nationality, in fact she was our hero in Fed Cup vs Japan, last round.
Ni te molestes sobre eso, chico, no hay manera de hacerles entender :mad:

Gisela :bounce:
Currently most of the junior players go USA to look for better chances but that doesn't mean they want to become citizens ;)

Volcana
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:22 PM
speaks English with a perfect suburban U.S. accent.
If Siberia is a suburban region of the USA.

harloo
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:25 PM
thin, tiny breast, lanky, tall, hits flat shots, flat serve, not much variety yet.

sounds like a Russian female player to me.:lol: :tape: :)

sartrista7
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:28 PM
This debate is so last year. I know the Yanks are desperate because, post-Williams, they don't have a single elite prospect... but try not to get bitter that it'll be all about Eastern Europe in ten years' time :kiss:

http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2003wimbledon/062403MS.html

Q. You've been in the United States for quite some time now. Do you ever see yourself becoming an American citizen?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I've never really thought about that. I'm really Russian inside of me. I have Russian blood all the way. I have family back there. I mean, of course, I've lived in the United States half of my life. But that's something that, you know, is because of my tennis. But, I mean, I'm happy playing for Russia right now. I have no regrets, just doing my job on the court.

http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2003wimbledon/062603MS.html

Q. Outside the passport saying you're Russian, do you mostly feel like an American kid?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Growing up, definitely. I mean, I've lived there half of my life. It's definitely a big influence in me, of course, when you live there so long. But I still keep, you know, my feet on the ground and know that I'm Russian inside of me. But I feel different like when I'm with a bunch of kids that have been living in America, and you sort of explain them the story that you were born in Russia, it's really different to them. It's really hard, because they don't really understand. I mean, they know that they've been in the US, but they don't know the world outside, though. So it is a little bit different, but I'm still a Russian inside of me.

http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2003wimbledon/062803MS.html

Q. You consider yourself to be American or Russian?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: No, I'm Russian, I have Russian citizenship. When the Olympics are on and when I see the Russian flag go down and the American flag go down, I'm like, "I want Russia to win so bad." It's just that feeling. I don't know why. I mean, I've lived in the US half of my life. It's definitely a big part of my life, developing my tennis career there. But I'm just -- my blood is totally Russian.

mboyle
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:13 PM
On a side note, I have a little grammar lesson for all of you:

When we English speakers use subjunctive or conditional subordinate clauses (if this, then this would be or I wish x) we always must employ the form "were" to distinguish our meaning from the past possible subordinate clause.

Therefore, we ought to say "If Maria Sharapova were an american by now" or "He wishes Maria were American."

It has been irking me since I began to read this thread, sorry.

mboyle
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:17 PM
though, it's an interesting point about Golovin...

she's born in Russia, but she is French... a well, Pierce plays for France as well.

Mary Pierce doesn't really condiser herself French, though. She is much more American than Maria is.

rue
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:22 PM
This thread is just too funny. It really does not matter because she considers herself Russian and she is a Russian despite the fact that she has lived in the states most of her life.

hollywood7172
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:40 PM
god almighty, so she is russian-american!!! happy now? why the fuck does it make a difference to you? it matters to her much more. and i think she knows what she is more than you do? just maybe?? have you even met her???

the nationality you identify with is, as someone mentioned, deeply personal, and is SO MUCH MORE than a passport, how many years you've lived somewhere, what kind of habits you have, and least of all if you speak the language with or without an accent. anyone who thinks otherwise is just plain ignorant or 8 years old.

with the world becoming more and more global these days, people move to different countries all the time. some like to be called the member of that new country immediately, while others like to be called as just a citizen of the new country, but always a member of their native country. this is as much their choice as what color shirt they want to wear.

while people have different standards, usually where a person was born and where his/her parents are from makes the biggest impact. i can see why sharapova sees herself as more russian than american. if she moved to the US at age 7 then she has very vivid memories of russia. i dont think she is being ungracious or unthankful for her life in the US. it's just a personal choice that she wants to be russian first, american second.

and someone thought she is hyping her russian heritage to appeal to the market more???? that is just insane. why would her being from russia be more of a plus than if she's all american??? ( especially in the US, where there might be people who insist she is american and not russian???) do you seriously think sharapova is marketed for what homeland stories she can tell, and not her tennis, face, and nice nice body?? the type of market she appeals to couldn't give a rat's ass if she was from russia or prussia or mars-sia. wake up and smell the coffee.

SilK
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Mary Pierce doesn't really condiser herself French, though. She is much more American than Maria is.

:confused: Huh? Mary Pierce isn't American at all! She's Canadian!

vogus
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:09 PM
good point about Pierce - i can't think of too many players who are less French than her, and yet Pierce plays for France. It just goes to show that the official nationality of a tennis player doesn't always reflect their true nationality.

And BTW, Kournikova's Russian nationality was a big part of the marketing package that got sold to the U.S. public. Her Russian-ness was perceived as sexy, and was a major selling point. They're using the Russian shtick with Sharapova again, bcuz it's a sucess-tested formula. Fully and conveniently Americanized, yet still "Russian in her heart." What could be more appealing than that?

fried_beans
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Contrary to the popular belief of some arrogant Americans, not everyone wants to be American. In fact I don't know anyone who isn't American that would want to be. :rolleyes:

PointBlank
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:01 PM
BTW,Alex Kuznetsov was born in Ukraine ;) and Bolgomov still plays for Russia

Truthwillout
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Yeah, Maria still speaks Russian with her family and she gets taught all of her lessons from school in Russian, and she says she is Russian at heart, so why dont you just back off! Let her be what she wants to be!

This is because US fans are beginning to think she might get the title and they want to make it American by hook or by crook :lol: :lol:

SilK
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:44 PM
BTW,Alex Kuznetsov was born in Ukraine ;) and Bolgomov still plays for Russia

:topic:

but I am wondering about something for awhile now... can somebody please help me out!

Kuznetsov? Is he, or is he not, family of Svetlana?

PointBlank
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:01 PM

but I am wondering about something for awhile now... can somebody please help me out!

Kuznetsov? Is he, or is he not, family of Svetlana?
Nope :p .. Kuznetsov(a) is VERY popular in Russia/Ukraine/Belarus .. many people have it .. My last name is Kuznetsov also :p

SilK
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Nope :p .. Kuznetsov(a) is VERY popular in Russia/Ukraine/Belarus .. many people have it .. My last name is Kuznetsov also :p

OK... thanks for answering so. My family last name used to be Kapelov, but my Grandfather changed it into Kapel when he moved to The Netherlands. So, hehe... but never knew Kuznetsov(a) was a popular name!

DiZZiA
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Hmmm..... I believe nowadays is safer not to call urself an "American".... to stop urself being a target for :tape:

tennisrulz8
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:52 AM
:confused: Huh? Mary Pierce isn't American at all! She's Canadian!

Actually Mary Pierce's father is from the United States and she was born in Canada. So she's all american except that her mum is French

ninedays
Jun 28th, 2004, 09:15 AM

yeah back off !!

JLDementieva
Jun 28th, 2004, 09:31 AM
I have been living in the U.S. since I was 8 yrs old. I, like Sharapova speaks with hardly any accent, BUT I also don't consider myself American! I am a Taiwanese at heart, and I will always be. Even if I have lived in the US longer, it doesn't change anything. So I think the same applies to Sharapova.

jan.
Jun 28th, 2004, 09:53 AM
shes russian so just back off.

ninedays
Jun 28th, 2004, 12:04 PM
shes russian so just back off.
yeah!!!

wipeout
Jun 28th, 2004, 01:14 PM
I just realized! Maria Sharapova speaks exactly like Willow from Buffy the Vampire Slayer... :D

Just watched a BBC interview and they speak the same. Have a listen next time you hear Maria.

I don't mean anything bad or anything to do with nationalities by pointing this out, just simply that noticing the similarity made me smile. :)