View Full Version : Ump fired from Wimby

Tennis Fool
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Umpire Out After Williams Gaffe

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/misc/spacer.gif
Published: June 25, 2004

Filed at 4:58 p.m. ET

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) -- The chair umpire who awarded an extra point to Venus Williams' opponent during her second-round loss at Wimbledon won't work another match during the tournament.

``I have now discussed the incident with the chair umpire concerned, and we have agreed it will be in the best interests of both parties if he takes no further part in the event,'' tournament referee Alan Mills said Friday.

The umpires' office wouldn't comment.

Strange Famous
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:25 AM
he had to go

OUT!
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Good riddance!

Martian Willow
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:35 AM
...he obviously needs a holiday... :)

Bright Red
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:36 AM
I'm glad Wimbledon took action and fired him, but I still of feel sorry for the fellow. Imagine the slack he'll get for it. What a costly mistake.

ys
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Funny, when I saw the title of this article from CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/06/24/odd.judge.reut/index.html

I first thought its about Wimbledon umpire. "In court", "on court".. I didn't catch the difference right away..

Knizzle
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Funny, when I saw the title of this article from CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/06/24/odd.judge.reut/index.html

I first thought its about Wimbledon umpire. "In court", "on court".. I didn't catch the difference right away..

Someone showed me this article earlier. What is the world coming to ys?? (no pun intended)

Yaanei
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:39 AM
The players did not seem to notice and the man is human!!! Geeeeeesh!!!!!!!!!!! This action is a bit harsh in my opinion. All the damn pc business.

Chunchun
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:41 AM
:haha: :haha: :yeah:

Experimentee
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Good riddance. I've never seen a mistake like that before by an umpire. That was just disgraceful. I think most fans would even know how to keep score properly, and we arent even umpires. Mark Woodforde said he has a reputation for making mistakes too. I dont think he should be allowed to umpire another important match again.

hewittrok
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:58 AM
gone

slice
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:52 AM
next the lines judges will get fired for making an incorrect call :rolleyes:

tennis players should really more appreciate all those people involved on the tennis court in their matches and be lenient if they make a mistake... after all they always cop shit from the players :rolleyes: it is only one match and we will never know what would have happened if the correct call had been made as sprem could have played the shots differently and won the TB knowing she was 1-3 down

watrat
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:15 AM
In my opinion it is best for the umpire not to judge any important match at Wimby. The crowd would give him hard time. But to fire him... Come on, he is human.

sartrista7
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Good riddance. I've never seen a mistake like that before by an umpire. That was just disgraceful. I think most fans would even know how to keep score properly, and we arent even umpires. Mark Woodforde said he has a reputation for making mistakes too. I dont think he should be allowed to umpire another important match again.

Apparently he also umpired the Hopkins v Kremer match at Amelia Island a few years back... the one on the court with the incorrectly painted lines :tape:

Veritas
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Umpire Out After Williams Gaffe

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/misc/spacer.gif
Published: June 25, 2004

Filed at 4:58 p.m. ET

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) -- The chair umpire who awarded an extra point to Venus Williams' opponent during her second-round loss at Wimbledon won't work another match during the tournament.

``I have now discussed the incident with the chair umpire concerned, and we have agreed it will be in the best interests of both parties if he takes no further part in the event,'' tournament referee Alan Mills said Friday.

The umpires' office wouldn't comment.

Still, I reckon it's a bit too much to fire the poor bloke. Other umpires have made mistakes before, why should his be any different? And besides, it's not as if Venus would've definately won the match had she been awarded that point instead.

Kart
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Still, I reckon it's a bit too much to fire the poor bloke. Other umpires have made mistakes before, why should his be any different? And besides, it's not as if Venus would've definately won the match had she been awarded that point instead.
I agree but I don't think he could umpire another match here this year.

If they've cut him off forever then I think that's a bit extreme.

Trent
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Perhaps every umpire who has made a mistake before should be fired.

Damn.. I don't think we'd have any umpires left.

Tompier
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:00 AM
poor guy :sad:

Pamela Shriver
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Sheesh I'm glad they don't fire pammentators every time they get a prediction wrong...