PDA

View Full Version : Do u think HIGHER of Amy Frazier as a Tennis Player after her stunning upset today ?

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Allot of people on this board are to young to remember when Amy was at her best ( finishing 6 years in the top 20 ). Do you have new found respect for her ?
This was also her 25th lifetime win over a top 10 player and 62nd grand slam overall. :D :eek: :bounce:

alwayshingis
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:10 PM
yes.

Joana
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:14 PM
No.
I've respected her since she beat Ana Ivanovic.

OK, just kidding. Amy has had a marvelous career and she really deserved this. :yeah:

jrm
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Remember when she beat Hingis on hardcourt after Wimbledon few years back?

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Remember when she beat Hingis on hardcourt after Wimbledon few years back? Yes i do... ;-) Then she took Venus to 3 tie breaks the next week. I remember Venus saying "she had a really good day " :lol: :eek:

Berlin_Calling
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:22 PM
I've always loved and respected Amy so no :p

Just_lindsay
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Allot of people on this board are to young to remember when Amy was at her best ( finishing 6 years in the top 20 ). Do you have new found respect for her ?
This was also her 25th lifetime win over a top 10 player and 62nd grand slam overall. :D :eek: :bounce:

I've always respected Amy...

Anastasia, on the other hand... way too inconsistent for a #3 player! :o

martirogi
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:35 PM
This bitch beat Hingis and now Myskina. Damn her I say. She's good at WImbledon tho. The all white dress, she's camoflauged.

Randy H
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:41 PM
No, I have been a big fan of Amy for years, and she has always had the potential to beat just about anyone on her day - If she had more of a consistent serve, I think she could have done even more with her career, but it's great to see her still causing the top players plenty of trouble :devil:

tterb
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:25 AM
Amy :kiss:

When she's set up to hit the ball, she can dictate points against most players. Her backhand especially in the 90's was :worship: Serve's iffy, but it's amazing to see her still playing so well after all these years on tour! Go Amy! :D

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:26 AM
This bitch beat Hingis and now Myskina. Damn her I say. She's good at WImbledon tho. The all white dress, she's camoflauged.
Now if you would say somthing about a WILLIAMS skin color you would be torn to shreds :rolleyes:

Fingon
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:42 AM
Amy has always been a dangerous player, very up and down but dangerous, especially on fast surfaces, so I am not surprised by her game but more by the fact she is still playing well at her age.

Now, I don't really consider beating Myskina as a huge upset, especially on grass.

fammmmedspin
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:01 AM
Very brave very accurate when she had to be. myskina was at 75% except on the first 5 match points but Amy hung in there and rose to the opportunity with some flashy stuff I didn't associate with her.. is this going to encourage her to stay around?

Not sure I would want her reward though - Sharapova looks like a sister with consistency and no obvious holes in her game but Amy earned the honour to fight her.

Kart
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:03 AM
My opinion of her hasn't changed.

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Very brave very accurate when she had to be. myskina was at 75% except on the first 5 match points but Amy hung in there and rose to the opportunity with some flashy stuff I didn't associate with her.. is this going to encourage her to stay around?

Not sure I would want her reward though - Sharapova looks like a sister with consistency and no obvious holes in her game but Amy earned the honour to fight her.
Well i DEFINETLY think she will play next year..she has a title to defend in January and with these well erned points she will be able to play in ANY tournament over the next year..her ranking will rise atleast 10 spots after wimbledon! :D :worship:

Sam L
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:27 AM
I love Amy ever since the early 90's. I remember one of my best memories of her was the 92 Australian Open where she went all the way to the semis. I think believe it's been 12 years! She'll be gone soon, so she'll be missed. They were saying during last night's match that aside from Martina N, there's probably no other active players with such GS played records. She's been apart of the game for so long. :D

Rafe306
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:44 AM
what was her highest rank ever?

SpikeyAidanm
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:48 AM
I've come to appreciate her more and more as I've seen her a bit more recently, funnily enough at first I never really was impressed by her game, but after maturing as a person and enjoying her matches, i come to admire how much effort she puts into her groundstrokes, and I really do enjoy watching her play.

Randy H
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:56 AM
13 :)

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:57 AM
Honestly... I was a bit impressed. :)

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:16 AM

#13...and that was during the Graff/capriati/ seles/ sabatini era...but she has SIX years in the top 20 :D

Experimentee
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:05 AM
I hadnt seen Amy play for years and I'd forgotten about how she plays. I dont think i've seen a match where she played well, and I didnt know why she was still in the top 50 after having done nothing outstanding in the last 12 months, but i was really impressed when i saw her beat Myskina. She has a really good game and wasnt afraid to go for her shots till the last moment, so i can definitely see why shes been doing well for so long on the tour. So yeah i do think higher of her.

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:16 AM
I hadnt seen Amy play for years and I'd forgotten about how she plays. I dont think i've seen a match where she played well, and I didnt know why she was still in the top 50 after having done nothing outstanding in the last 12 months, but i was really impressed when i saw her beat Myskina. She has a really good game and wasnt afraid to go for her shots till the last moment, so i can definitely see why shes been doing well for so long on the tour. So yeah i do think higher of her. Thanks! :D But she did win an Australian WTA warm up tourney this year and reached the semis a few ago at a French Open warm up ;)

bionic71
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Always been a fan....we are of a similar age.

I am a baseliner player myself, with flat groundies, an average serve at best and prone to fits of doubles faults....as a result I really sympathize and appreciate her game.

As a fan...she is a nightmare to watch...I can barely stand it sometimes...

I hit with Amy in 1987 (or maybe 88?) during a trip when she played in a McDonalds Junior Team Event event here in Sydney...she was really sweet. I remember knocking off a volley during a mixed set which hit her in the hip....I felt so horrible!

It was evident then how superior she was from the baseline compared to our girls at the time...she never lost a set to any of them...wasn't really challenged at all.

I hope she gives Maria a scare.....if she serves o.k then it could be dogfight.....

Veritas
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:25 AM
I've been a fan of Amy ever since seeing her on telly beating Kimiko at the Japan Open back in 1993.

I'm surprised she hasn't got a sponsor now. She's still ranked squarely in the top 30, plus she's had some great wins over top players before! And over 60 GS maindraw appearances...that's gotta count :)

btw, I never knew how much Amy's shot-making resembled Kimiko Date's until I saw the last set of her match against Myskina. Both hold their backhand positions with both hands down, and both hit the ball pretty low and flat.

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:32 AM
I've been a fan of Amy ever since seeing her on telly beating Kimiko at the Japan Open back in 1993.

I'm surprised she hasn't got a sponsor now. She's still ranked squarely in the top 30, plus she's had some great wins over top players before! And over 60 GS maindraw appearances...that's gotta count :)

btw, I never knew how much Amy's shot-making resembled Kimiko Date's until I saw the last set of her match against Myskina. Both hold their backhand positions with both hands down, and both hit the ball pretty low and flat.
Yeah..i was also impressed with the 3rd set..its just that her last 2 service games almost gave me a heart attack! :eek: :lol: :p :worship:

esquímaux
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Allez Amy! We knew you had it in ya babe :kiss:

Stamp Paid
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Amy Frazier is 32 right? And beat the 21 year old #3 ranked player in the world at a Grand Slam?!

AMY FRAZIER IS THE SHIZNIT! (I hope you know what that means......its a compliment!)

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Amy Frazier is 32 right? And beat the 21 year old #3 ranked player in the world at a Grand Slam?!

AMY FRAZIER IS THE SHIZNIT! (I hope you know what that means......its a compliment!) :lol: Yes i am verse in SNOOP dawg lingo ;) Amy is 31 and ranked #36 and she beat the 22 year old Myskina ranked #3 :D Amys ranking will now ZOOM into the top 30 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :D

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Always been a fan....we are of a similar age.

I am a baseliner player myself, with flat groundies, an average serve at best and prone to fits of doubles faults....as a result I really sympathize and appreciate her game.

As a fan...she is a nightmare to watch...I can barely stand it sometimes...

I hit with Amy in 1987 (or maybe 88?) during a trip when she played in a McDonalds Junior Team Event event here in Sydney...she was really sweet. I remember knocking off a volley during a mixed set which hit her in the hip....I felt so horrible!

It was evident then how superior she was from the baseline compared to our girls at the time...she never lost a set to any of them...wasn't really challenged at all.

I have always struggled with my serve during matches so I really.

I hope she gives Maria a scare.....if she serves o.k then it could be dogfight.....
Wow..that soo cool! I hope to see her at this years US open and the ADVANTA championships.
I tried to see her last year in philly but she got stung by a red hot pertova in the 1st rd :mad: ;)

Pamela Shriver
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:46 AM
I always think higher, no one is taller than me...

azza
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:58 AM
No.

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:43 PM
I always think higher, no one is taller than me... :retard: :scared: :nerner:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:01 AM
I've always respected Amy...

Anastasia, on the other hand... way too inconsistent for a #3 player! :o :tape: ;)

RedFilaJ-Cap#1
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:33 AM
That is so stupid that she was #2 here. She is not good enough for that and I knew she would not go far here!!!

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:53 AM
That is so stupid that she was #2 here. She is not good enough for that and I knew she would not go far here!!! :nerner:

Jakeev
Jun 27th, 2004, 02:54 AM
The only thing I regret about Amy is that she didn't have a bigger career that I thought she should have had. She was and is a tremendous talent and I will always believe she should have been a major contender.

But it's wonderful to see her still playing well and in the round of 16 at Wimbledon. Maria pretty much handled Amy easily in Memphis on their least favorite surface clay, but with it being grass, expect Frazier to go toe to toe with her younger opponent.

GoGoMaggie
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:06 AM

That's exactly when I started liking Amy as well, even though I think the final you are talking about took place in '94 I believe. Actually they faced in the final of Japan Open for three years in a row with the first and third won by Kimiko and the second one ('95) won by Amy, who played flawless tennis then. Amy actually made the final of Japan Open the following two years losing one to Ai and winning one over again, Ai. Even though she has beaten so many of my country's girls, since she has always done so well in Japan, I have never had a problem with it. Amy was great not only in Japan Open but in the torunament formely known as Nichirei Ladies and Toyota Princess Cup.
And, you're exactly right about Amy's game resembling Kmiko's. They both hit the ball so flat and low and prefer hitting backhands plus their serves have let them down on many occasions, and more so for Amy.
I think Amy has a chance against Maria even though my brain says Maria will come through. Amy has proven us wrong so many times in her career, it's not wise to presume anything about her until that actually happens.
Regardless, go Amy. Show your experience and beat the Russian teen!

Yonexforever
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:08 AM
Amy needs some SUN!!!!

Mr_Molik
Jun 27th, 2004, 05:05 AM
no ive always known she is a dangerous player

geegables
Jun 27th, 2004, 05:06 AM
i didnt have respect for her after the win over myskina. Myskina doesn't really have a impressive game. its more of a see how hard you can hit the ball and then see if it can land in type. its not one of those styles you see and are impressed by. however, im i suppose what im impressed my amy frazier is that she is a good fighter and looks like a nice player so good luck :)

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jun 27th, 2004, 05:15 AM
Thanks for all the kind comments guys!! I really hope she gives Masha a run for her money on monday!
I have to work but i will be getting updates VIA text message !! :lol: ;) :bounce:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jun 27th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Thanks to all who voted!! Good luck tomorow Amy!! :D :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :woohoo: