PDA

View Full Version : Do you regard Wimbledon as the most important and best tournament of the world?

saphir1
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:00 PM
The German TV commentators often emphasize the importance of this tournament, but to me it is "just" one grand slam like the others, plus I do not like these senseless old-fashoned traditions. How about you, do you think Wimbledon is the most important tournament?

fifiricci
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Of course it is. It's simply "The Championships". If it was at the same (ie lower) level as the other three, it would be called something like "The British Open". Think about it .............

Hmm, well?

:p

Ballbuster
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:03 PM
yes,

and for Venus to lose so early is unprecedented. Fortunately for me I have two faves, so, I'm still abuzzed.

Truthwillout
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:04 PM
In terms of being very different from the other three (traditions, crowds, regalia). Yes no doubt about it. Old England will always be different, a world of its own.

Spunky83
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:07 PM
If I were a pro, Wimby would be the tourney Iīd love the most to win, definetly. Itīs so traditional, classy and itīs on grass and I love London and strawberrys (???) and the best looking trophae. Itīs just the most prestigious I guess, unless you are from that country the grand slam is taken place.

Most importantly, play is in progress even at 11īo clock in the evening...look:
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/scores/weather/index.html

How cool is that? To avoid the rain tomorrow they already started play a "few" hours in advance...

Calimero377
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:08 PM
The German TV commentators often emphasize the importance of this tournament, but to me it is "just" one grand slam like the others, plus I do not like these senseless old-fashoned traditions. How about you, do you think Wimbledon is the most important tournament?

Yes.
Wimbledon > FO > USO >AO.

Truthwillout
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:11 PM
I think this thing about Wimbledon being Old England is now outdated. There are traditions like wearing white but if you go to Wimbledon a lot of the people who go there are just 'working class' people. It is not as stuffy and regal nowadays as people think.

It may be so, but where else do you see people like Agassi or Serena wearing traditional outfits? :lol:
I've been to Wimbledon once. I found it very different from other places. But to me England is like no other place I know. :) :)

Truthwillout
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Oh yes. And I agree with Spunky83, if I were a professional player this would be my number one priority. Hell, a guy like Lendl once said if would give several of his other grand slam titles just for one win at the Championships.

Spunky83
Yes.
Wimbledon > FO > USO >AO.

Yupp! Right order I guess, though somehow the AO are the most entertaining one (that I canīt explain). I donīt know, Wimbledon is just the tourney I remember watching with my dad the most, during the matches he used to tell me everything about Steffi (which was awful lot). I was forced to watch that tourney, but I canīt remember watching the other ones as a kid, so I guess itīs also a personal thing.

@Calimero: Havenīt you been the guy who asked me whatīs on DSF during the night? Well then, tune in and have fun :eek:

fifiricci
It may be so, but where else do you see people like Agassi or Serena wearing traditional outfits? :lol:
I've been to Wimbledon once. I found it very different from other places. But to me England is like no other place I know. :) :)
Oh sure, Serena is really confirming :lol: She's already an England fan (allegedly) so is she going for the Boadicea look? Please dont ask me to explain who Boadicea is - if you dont know, dont reply.

Ta me luverlies!

Truthwillout
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Oh sure, Serena is really confirming :lol: She's already an England fan (allegedly) so is she going for the Boadicea look? Please dont ask me to explain who Boadicea is - if you dont know, dont reply.

Ta me luverlies!

I've heard about Queen Bodicea :) :devil:
Who's telling you I don't have British ancestry, anyway? :lol: :lol:

JoeB_UK
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:33 PM
wimbledon is my least favourite slam!
french is my favourite, wimbledon doesnt appeal as much because im not a fan of its traditions, atmosphere and dont like grass court tennis as much

Crazy_Fool
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:56 PM
NO

I don't like the tournament, the seeding, the fact that you have to wear white clothes. Not to mention the fact that it is so damn boring to watch, how can you enjoy a match where a player like Federer or Roddick just serve big and hardly ever are tested on this because of it.

This is why RG is the best slam for me, its interesting to watch.

joaco
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Definetely

Sally Struthers
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:03 PM
I think it's

Wimbledon = US Open >FO > Australian

but not by much. they're all pretty much equal now

jrm
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:04 PM
No

VivalaSeles
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:05 PM
No.

Strange Famous
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:05 PM
to me its no 2, French Open is 1

Calimero377
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Yupp! Right order I guess, though somehow the AO are the most entertaining one (that I canīt explain). I donīt know, Wimbledon is just the tourney I remember watching with my dad the most, during the matches he used to tell me everything about Steffi (which was awful lot). I was forced to watch that tourney, but I canīt remember watching the other ones as a kid, so I guess itīs also a personal thing.

@Calimero: Havenīt you been the guy who asked me whatīs on DSF during the night? Well then, tune in and have fun :eek:

Know them all.
Have all the "Clips" on tape already .... :yawn:

saphir1
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:48 AM
NO

I don't like the tournament, the seeding, the fact that you have to wear white clothes. Not to mention the fact that it is so damn boring to watch, how can you enjoy a match where a player like Federer or Roddick just serve big and hardly ever are tested on this because of it.

This is why RG is the best slam for me, its interesting to watch.
I'm glad there are persons with the same opinion as me :wavey:

Stamp Paid
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:55 AM
Hell no! Pilot Pen!!!http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif

chris whiteside
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Yes.

And didn't Lindsay Davenport say that although she had won the US Open she never fully realised just how big Wimbledon Champion was until after she had triumphed.

Crazy Canuck
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Of course it is. It's simply "The Championships". If it was at the same (ie lower) level as the other three, it would be called something like "The British Open". Think about it .............

Hmm, well?

:p
It's called the "Championships" because that is what they named their own tournament. That has nothing to do with actual importance, and everything to do with self perceived importance.

It's one of the biggest tournaments in the world, but not the tournament to end all tournaments. Sorry, but the tournament to end all tournament can not be played on a surface that is almost completely irrelevant to the modern game.

chris whiteside
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:24 AM
It's called the "Championships" because that is what they named their own tournament. That has nothing to do with actual importance, and everything to do with self perceived importance.

It's one of the biggest tournaments in the world, but not the tournament to end all tournaments. Sorry, but the tournament to end all tournament can not be played on a surface that is almost completely irrelevant to the modern game.

Why should grass be irrelevant? Great players should be able to prove themselves on any surface. If you include Newport the Grass season lasts five weeks of the year which is about right.

It's great the four Slams are all played on different surfaces. I think it's a case of many players decrying it because they can't master the surface.

But I don't think Wimbledon should have compromised by slowing the courts down. I don't think there's any question the length of the grass has been altered to suit base-liners in the past few years.

peanuts
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:41 AM
in terms of tradition and class...wimbledon is certainly on the top among the other slams...but in terms of competition, i'd prefer the slams played on a hard court coz at least everyone especially the clay courters have a chance of winning...grass just favors too much of a certain type of player...i know its the same with the french..but there's just something abt playing on grass that makes a lot of players soo frustrated...

i must say though i love the look of the grass and the players looks so clean with their white outfits ;)

Kart
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:32 AM
It's one of the most important but not the most important.

Wimbledon has far too high an opinion of itself IMHO - the seeding process, the prize money etc - all have taken too a long time to catch up with the rest of the world.

Plus my fave has never won it which doesn't help :(.

Pamela Shriver
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Yes, particularly the DOUBLES...

azza
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:45 AM
No

Brαm
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:46 AM
NO

My favourite slams are Australian Open & Roland Garros.
Wimbledon doesn't produce the most creative tennis & I'm kind of annoyed by all those silly things people like to call Tradition :yawn:

Tompier
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:09 AM
FRENCH OPEN :rocker: AUSTRALIAN OPEN :rocker: US OPEN :rocker:

errrr WIMBLEDON is my worst :scratch:

JoeB_UK
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:39 AM
thats similar to me tompier, french is my favourite!

Greenout
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:44 AM
It use to be good in the 1990's. I prefer the RG, AO and
the US Open now. WIMBLEDON has become like a grouchy, fussy,
stubborn old uncle that refuses to shut about the old days every
time there's a family function. The poor guy just bought a Beta
video machine last month, and has just found out about STAR
WARS.

I think the French has the most drama, and the best matches.

The Australian has the best crowds, and they focus on the players.
It's not as smug and back patting as WIMBLEDON. Besides
they have night matches, and a roof on center court.

The US OPEN is a big event, and feels like a big event. There's
money, stars, drama and no one is ashamed to admit it.
It's huge, and the matches tend to be highly entertaining, not
always in a good tennis quality way; but
fun.

sarza
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:48 AM
no its full of snobby brits thinking they are more important than they really are :lol:

Pamela Shriver
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:52 AM
no its full of snobby brits thinking they are more important than they really are :lol:
Like Ginny. She's jealous of my vowels y'know.

Vass22
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:57 AM
NO. Too many players hate it for it to be the most important.

propi
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Roland Garros, Wimbledon= Aus Open, USO :)

Nastyafan
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:10 AM
NOOO
It's the most disgusting, stupid, damn slam
I hope it'll rain 2 weeks uninterruptedly, all damn courts will be flooded, this tourney will never end and Wimby will be canceled forever!:devil: :devil: :fiery::fiery:

Belgium = Best
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:40 PM
No :wavey:

peanuts
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:02 AM
NOOO
It's the most disgusting, stupid, damn slam
I hope it'll rain 2 weeks uninterruptedly, all damn courts will be flooded, this tourney will never end and Wimby will be canceled forever!:devil: :devil: :fiery::fiery:
:lol: :lol: the way things are going on, it might be possible :devil: :lol: :lol:

davenport_1
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:37 AM
You know, I don't think it really matters because unfortunatly, To be recognized in America by the general public a tennis player is probably going to have to win the US Open

Mr_Molik
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Yes!!!!!