PDA

View Full Version : For god's sake, Serena NEVER accused K-Lina of being unsportsmanlike

DelMonte
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Please read the relevant parts of her interview instead of buying into what journalists who want to create controversy write:

Q. What was your reaction to what happened with the call in Venus' match in the tiebreaker yesterday?

SERENA WILLIAMS: To be honest with you, I didn't watch the match because I was at home and I can't watch her on TV. I get too nervous.

Q. Knowing what happened, if you were in the shoes of Venus' opponent, if you were confronted in a situation where you were given a free point, how would you have reacted? What should be the reaction?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think as a competitor and as a professional, you should be able to distinguish right and wrong. But, you know, I'm not here to talk about Venus.

Q. What is your reaction to the umpire being dismissed from any action in the rest of the tournament?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, you know, I think he ‑‑ I don't know. Like I said, I didn't see it. It's just obviously, you know, unfortunate.

Q. Have you ever been in a situation like that, where the umpire or player lost track of the score?>

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I've never been in a situation like that before. But, you know, I'm an honest individual. So if I were in that situation, I know I would make the right choice.

Q. You've described how you would have handled it if you were in Karolina Sprem's shoes. How would you have handled it if you were in your sister's shoes yesterday?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I never described how I would have handled it if I was in the other girl's shoes.

Q. Well, you responded sort of about that. How would you have handled it if you were in Venus' shoes?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I mean, I don't know. Hopefully I won't have the opportunity to be in her shoes because it's just not something I want to be in right now, you know. You can never really say what you're going to do unless you're actually in the situation. It's kind of weird to say.

DelMonte
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:07 PM
It seems a lot of players were asked about the case of the phantom point. Here's what Jen had to say:

Q. If you were confronted with a situation where your opponent got a free point due to an umpire's mistake, how do you think you'd handle it? What goes through your mind in such a situation?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: You know, it's hard for me to comment because I just couldn't imagine being in that situation. You know, I don't think ‑‑ I don't know. To let that happen. I know nobody in my box would have let that happen. They would have been like, "Wrong score!" :lol: :lol:

But, you know, afterwards, I mean, I just can't comment on it because I don't know how I would feel in that situation. It's never happened. But it would just kind of be bizarre. I don't know.

Q. Were you watching yesterday? What went through your mind at the time if you were?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Yeah, I was watching it live. I was just like, you know, listening to the commentators on BBC. They were like, you know, "What is going on?" I was just like, "Oh, my gosh, this is really weird. I can't believe this is happening."

Then, you know, just kept going. And it just ended that way. I was just like, "Wow." You know, couldn't believe it.

Q. What were your observations of how Venus handled that?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I think she handled it well. You know, obviously it was ‑‑ they obviously were confused and probably just so intense on the match. You know, that can happen. Definitely you're just so into the playing that you're not paying attention to the score. So I don't know. I don't think the players can be really blamed for that, but...

Tompier
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Thanks for that :wavey: