PDA

View Full Version : did karolina sprems match against venus make you a fan?

JoeB_UK
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:58 PM
i first became a fan of her, when i saw her against venus in berlin! so how many new fans are there?

AnDyDog621
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:03 PM
no it kind of made me the opposite...i always hear people on this board talk about sprem and i was all for it and may have liked her, but after watching her match against Venus, i reallie don't like her that much anymore just cause i want Venus to beat everyone and i didn't like how she was dictating the pts. She is good don't get me wrong and also i usually cheer against the crowd since they were more pro-sprem than pro-venus.

Strange Famous
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Yeah, it did. I wasnt really aware of her before the match but I was cheering for because she deserved the win, and all the criticism aimed at her after the match is so unfair.

It is the umpire's job to score, not the players!

Fran16
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:05 PM
me ;)

MarkyMark
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:06 PM
no it kind of made me the opposite...i always hear people on this board talk about sprem and i was all for it and may have liked her, but after watching her match against Venus, i reallie don't like her that much anymore just cause i want Venus to beat everyone and i didn't like how she was dictating the pts. She is good don't get me wrong and also i usually cheer against the crowd since they were more pro-sprem than pro-venus.

just cause u want venus to beat everyone should not take anything away from the play of sprem, you will end up hating most players on tours if you expect Venus to beat every one.

AnDyDog621
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:11 PM
just cause u want venus to beat everyone should not take anything away from the play of sprem, you will end up hating most players on tours if you expect Venus to beat every one.
i never said i hate her...she just didn't make a fan out of me, and if i watch tennis all day, ill probably see a lot of good talented players and i can't be a fan to all of them so im sticking with my choices cause i liked them more

Yasmine
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:15 PM

:worship: :worship: :worship:

whorehand
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:43 PM
It did actually. The way she hit so hard and accurately was simply amazing, especially on the return of serve, giving everything she had out there. She showed a lot of guts to hold it all together. I just think its such a shame the match had to end like that. It will always be remembered as that match where the umpire was a brainless twat, not as the one where Karolina Sprem played amazing tennis to beat number 3 seed and former champion Venus Williams. Tis a shame for everyone concerned.

*roddicksinme*
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:45 PM
i saw her in amelia island in april and fell in love with her game

Tratree
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:48 PM
I actually thought she was pretty overrated before yesterday's match, but I was very impressed with her play against Venus.

SilviaFan
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:49 PM
K-Lina is great tennisplayer !!!

Rtael
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:50 PM
I've been a fan since her challenger run in early last year. Ath just copied me when he became her fan! :angel:

AnDyDog621
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:51 PM
It did actually. The way she hit so hard and accurately was simply amazing, especially on the return of serve, giving everything she had out there. She showed a lot of guts to hold it all together. I just think its such a shame the match had to end like that. It will always be remembered as that match where the umpire was a brainless twat, not as the one where Karolina Sprem played amazing tennis to beat number 3 seed and former champion Venus Williams. Tis a shame for everyone concerned.Karolina Sprem, don't u guys think she could have played better though?? like she missed some easy shots that always hit right under the net cord and sometimes when she attacked with her forehand, she kind of missed and hit into the net. she played good/great tennis but i don't think it was that amazing

Some rallies were reallie cool but then some weren't

tennisluver99
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:55 PM
No,the match didn't make me a fan. It's the constant whining of some Williams' fans that have made me a Sprem fan.

cool bird
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Yes it did. But I would love to see her play some eles. I do get the feeling she is a very flashy player.

I was watching her and thinking she could be so much better. I mean the girl has no net game at all. She hit such a ungly volley to win a point. If She can tap in to that she could def be in the running over the next few years for number 1 in the world.
I think as a player she is better that sharapova

Anna F'd Enrique
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:12 PM
no, not really! But i would like to see her get far anyways. So i guess i am ok with her doing well...

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Was already a fan. :)

K-LINA :hearts:

martirogi
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:15 PM
No it made me hate the fucking bitch just like ive hated Capriati ever since she beat Hingis at A0 02.

cool bird
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:16 PM
:lol: :lol:

Cam'ron Giles
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Not one bit...I will scream and rejoice everytime she lose...:p

bandabou
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Still can´t understand how this girl plays so well against Venus, but gets beaten like a lamppost when she plays Kim....but she got game for sure!!!

Kabezya
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:28 PM
It made me a bigger fan of Venus.

JoeB_UK
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:30 PM
lol yeah, just got that clijsters match on dvd and saw a couple of games. cant believe karolina can lose this badly, against a kim with a sprung wrist! i mean, i had one of those wrist supports and you cant even grip a racket well

Jericho
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:34 PM
most posters become "fans" of opponents who beat the williams sisters

davenport_1
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:36 PM
I'm a fan of anybody who can knock out a Williams in strait sets.

Spunky83
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:37 PM
i first became a fan of her, when i saw her against venus in berlin! so how many new fans are there?

I was there and that girl really amazed me, that match up between Venus and Sprem was the match I was looking for in this Wimby, I knew it would be good, cause somehow Venus seems to have problems against her. That Berlin match was unbelievably great and the one from yesterday was great as well...just like I said, when those two play each other it´s better than any popcorn movie!

I like her style, she´s really a fabulous player, but still I am not a fan.

Farina Elia Fan
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:38 PM
I was at the centre court and yes it did make me a bit of a fan of her!

JoeB_UK
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:39 PM
yeah definately, atmosphere was shit all day. but during this match, it got a nice atmosphere
i had been looking forward to this match as soon as i saw the draw
and it didnt disapoint me, my favourite match of the year

Vass22
Jun 25th, 2004, 09:03 PM
I had nothing against her before and it was the first time I saw her. But I love her now. It was a pity that she had to wait for the tie break to complete the match.

Frooty_Bazooty
Jun 25th, 2004, 09:31 PM
I never really gave Sprem much thought but now i really like her. She didnt get intimidated by Venus at all and for a girl of only 19 she showed great nerves. Im extremely impressed by her and i hope she goes on to at least the quarters and even the semis. Sharapova v Sprem would be SUCH a good semi :drool:

Ballbuster
Jun 25th, 2004, 09:37 PM
No!

She had an opportunity to be honest and sportwomanlike. She failed. Now I regard her as a Cheat.

Not a good category to be in.

JoeB_UK
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:35 PM
bit upset ball buster, that you were 100% sure williams would win?

Ballbuster
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:38 PM
bit upset ball buster, that you were 100% sure williams would win?

I'm really ambivilent. Karolina took it to Venus. I'm just upset Venus lost. Although Karolina deserved to win.

Whatever.

Hell, I'm just keeping up shit.

WtaTour4Ever
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:44 PM
I'm a huge WS fan...but I must say I was def. impressed by her. I had never seen her play before, although I know many of you mentioned her on this board. I think a fan of tennis can't help but be a fan of her game if not her. It was a good good match although Vee lost.

AjdeNate!
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:47 PM
From my site yesterday/today I got 12,000+ hits and over 400 emails. People must really be intrigued by her.

Random thought - how could yesterdays win be "the match of her life"... when she did the same thing for most of the match just 3 weeks ago? Isn't the match of your life a singular incident?

Just_lindsay
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:50 PM

Actually, the Venus-Karolina match made me even less of a fan of Sprem than I was before. It doesn't take too long to get sick of all of the gushy posts that people put up about her. She seems like a desperate, "win at all costs" type of player, and I personally am repelled by that. Nonetheless, if people see some redeeming qualities in her, they can keep rooting her to victory.

MEGHANN SHAUGHNESSY ROCKS... GOOD LUCK MEGHANN... YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE THE FINAL 16, FOR SURE :worship:

WtaTour4Ever
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:52 PM
She goes for her shots....whats wrong with that. I'd rather see that than someone who pushes the ball back or plays defense all the time

AjdeNate!
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Actually, the Venus-Karolina match made me even less of a fan of Sprem than I was before. It doesn't take too long to get sick of all of the gushy posts that people put up about her. She seems like a desperate, "win at all costs" type of player, and I personally am repelled by that. Nonetheless, if people see some redeeming qualities in her, they can keep rooting her to victory.

MEGHANN SHAUGHNESSY ROCKS... GOOD LUCK MEGHANN... YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE THE FINAL 16, FOR SURE :worship:
Win at all costs? What??
She served the 2nd serve, Venus hit the winner. She TRIED to get a ball to serve on the deuce side, but they were being rolled to the other side of the court. She looked at the chair for confirmation. How is that winning at all costs?

Winning at all costs, was throwing herself on the court to hit winners, going after her serves, and breaking Venus' serve 4 times.

Just_lindsay
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Win at all costs? What??
She served the 2nd serve, Venus hit the winner. She TRIED to get a ball to serve on the deuce side, but they were being rolled to the other side of the court. She looked at the chair for confirmation. How is that winning at all costs?

Winning at all costs, was throwing herself on the court to hit winners, going after her serves, and breaking Venus' serve 4 times.

I wasn't referring specifically to her match with Venus in the above post. Just an overall feeling I've gotten from watching previous matches she's played in and reading her interviews.

Sprem is a good player. That is obvious... but she is also over-hyped, especially by certain individuals on this board.

I never saw reason to be a Sprem fanatic before the match, and my opinion has not changed. My opinion of Venus has gone up a lot, because of the classy and mature manner in which she handled a most unfortunate situation.

Karolina Sprem Hype: :rolleyes:
Venus Williams: :worship:

Crazy_Fool
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:18 PM
No, I don't like her. And why the hell does she play like that against Venus and then do nothing else. My prediction is she'll get dumped out in the next round.

franny
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:28 AM
I don't think I became a fan of hers, but I was really really impressed by her. I've bee hearing about her for some time but had never seen her play. After seeing her play against Venus, and then seeing Sharapova play today against Hantuchova, I'm confident in saying that she and Sharapova are the two players I'm most excited about watch develop as players. Best of luck to both of them.

Greenout
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:01 AM
I agree with Franny. I can appreciate K-lina; but I'm not a fan.

Well...heard alot of her on this web site, and willing to give her a chance.
Was impressed of her win over Sveta at Miami, but she lost so badly
against Eleni. The balls were sprayed all over the place; but you could
tell she's got game, and a nice on court attitude.

Seen the Fed Cup highlight show and Kimmy just smacked her like
her typical lower ranked victims.

I'm impressed with K-Lina because like Maria no matter how ugly or
whipped they were in a previous match, they carry on and keep
fighting back with attitude and spirit. You can tell they're serious for
big time, it's not like your average journeymen players, they have
a huge hunger for success.

I think it's great for women's tennis to have these new ambitious players
that won't settle for a loss or be intimidated by the status quo.

The Venus win was huge, and she played it like the big moment
it was. Shame about the crackpot umpire; but hey look how
Karolina has gotten more press in a couple of days than Orginal
Martina's losing in her match against Dulko.

JenCpLvr
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:43 AM
I was already a fan and wasn't surprised by this result. I am glad Venus took it so graciously.. she is great as well!!:bounce: :bounce:

Kart
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:04 AM
No.

The only thing she has in her favour for me is that Athenaeum likes her ;).

JLDementieva
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:21 AM
her match was Venus was the first time I've ever seen her play, and I was really really impressed with her. I'm definitely a fan now! :D

SpikeyAidanm
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:23 AM
First time I've seen her, and I was impressed.

I'm a fan of her tennis for sure.

rada
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:30 AM
i did like her before this match...but now i dont i think she should have said something about the points she did know thats for sure;)

Experimentee
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:36 AM
I dont think anyone should suddenly turn into a fan of someone just because of one match :rolleyes:
Either you like her or you dont, you dont just like her because she beat someone you dont like!
I liked her before, but it wasnt like she was one of my faves, mainly because of certain posters hyping her up. This match doesnt make me like her anymore or any less.

MrYonex
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:39 AM
No, she is dishonest and she didn't do the right thing during the match. But I will always be a bigger Venus fan!

Jericho
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:41 AM
gosh and then we williams fans will be blamed for people calling sprem a cheater or dishonest, even though a lot of dont think that including me

watrat
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:30 AM
I was already her fan cause I like her aggresive shots. She simply just goes for them. Wonder why she plays so good against Venus? I think they have similar game tactics and K-Lina is in that view better.

Thougt in next round I'll cheer for MEGHANN !!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

gokimmie
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:57 AM
I like the way she plays,i don't know anything about her as a person.
There's just something about her ,i dunno,her spunk ,her ambition,her agressive play that makes her fun to watch :)

peanuts
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:09 AM
can't say i was turned into a fan but i was quite impressed with the way she played ;)

Veritas
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:12 AM

She'll have to change her racquet to a Yonex if I'm going to be a fan of hers. But I'm v.impressed with how she's playing so far though.

justine&coria
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:14 AM
it made me become a little more fan of Venus, because of the class she showed after the match !
I didn't watch the match, but I know how Sprem can play and she's impressive: I hope for a Sharapova-Sprem semis !!

Stamp Paid
Jun 26th, 2004, 08:15 AM
I am definitely a Sprem fan! She fucking rocks!!!!! My new second favorite player!

sarza
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:55 AM
NO i dont care that she beats venus ;) She beat my lovely laura :mad:

bandabou
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:06 PM
No, I don't like her. And why the hell does she play like that against Venus and then do nothing else. My prediction is she'll get dumped out in the next round.

Very likely....

jenny161185
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:13 PM
it definately made me a fan,she is a great player with a great aggressive game - the commentators were liking her to Seles nd its also nice to see someone matching one of the big hitters off the ground(increasing the depth of the womens tennis!)

flyingmachine
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Well I'm a Sprem fan since Berlin when I watched her for the first time. :worship: I was surprise :eek: that she won against Venus. I thought her game is more suited for clay rather for grass. However I'm please that she's doing well at grass as well :D but the stupid ref makes the win well :( .

BoucharDRules
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely a fan of Karolina Sprem now. I'm going to have to demote Jelena Dokic and keep K-lina as my second favorite.

It's not just the fact that she played so well and upset Venus...it's also that bangin body she's got in that sexy outfit. :hearts:

Vass22
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Your prediction will be so wrong.

Ryan
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:17 PM
She's got GAME. I have never seen someone make Venus hit such defensive shots on grass besides Serena. She really played awesome tennis for the most part, but she could have definately played better (she missed so many returns). I cant say I liked her attitude very much, it seemed to me like she was arrogant. It was probably just because she was focused and intense about the match, so I dont hold that against her.;)

GoSandrine
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Very aggressive style. I like her spunk. :yeah:

Linnie
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:49 PM
i saw her in amelia island in april and fell in love with her gameSame here! :)