View Full Version : Sharapova easily advances 6-3 6-1 over Hantuchova

tennisIlove09
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:38 PM
I was hoping for a closer match.

Maria :bounce:
Dani :sad:

apoet29
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Man, that was more one-sided than I expected! How did Maria play? Did Dani make many UE's? What is the storyline?

treufreund
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:39 PM
I was expecting this to be easy and it sure was. :eek:

Truthwillout
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:40 PM
I've seen the match. Maria impressed me. Poor Daniela was obviously overpowered. But she looked good. She's not skin and bones anymore. She'll work her way back to the top.

KV
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Masha hit lots of winners. Daniela hit a little too many UE's. But it was mainly Masha's winners which made the match so one-sided. If Masha continues like that, she'll be tough to beat at this years Wimbledon.

justine&coria
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Sharapova had 25 winners to 5 UE ! WOW !!
Hantuchova had 12 winners to only 8 UEs but still lost !!

Sharapova must have been on fire ! Go for the title now that my faves (Justine and Venus) are out !!

Mercury Rising
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Maria seems alot more determined to win and Daniela couldn't follow her tempo, she just was too good.

wongqks
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:44 PM
I saw the match. Daniela did not played bad at all, but I don't think I have seen someone played so well consistently for a long time. If Maria can keep this level up, watch out for her as a darkhorse to the final

SilK
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Maria impressed me, and I think everybody that saw the match. And people that say they weren't impressed, are lying. Really, Maria wants to win, and she wants to win BAD. Did you guys see her reaction after she won? I never see anybody as happy with every win as Maria! Amazing...

Joana
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:46 PM
This match just proved Sharapova is all hype... NOT!
She was great, very focused, served really well, moved well and made very few errors. Great match for her! :yeah:

faboozadoo15
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:46 PM
she's played better tennis than any women in the tournament so far! she not only could, but SHOULD make the semifinals and maybe the final. she's faster than davenport if they play, so that could mean real trouble for lindsay.
but not looking too far ahead, he match against frazier is important. we'll have to see how amy rebounds after her big win, but it seems like it's sharapova's time now.

DiZZiA
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Daniela still searching back for her A game......
She didn't play that badly at all.... but not enough 1st serves in, and just making the errors at those crucial points :mad:

Maria was playing great today.... simply outplayed Daniela in most of the rallies.... and served very well......

Congrats, Maria!!! :D
& for Daniela.... Really looking foward for your top form coming back soon!!!! ;)

Jarrett
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:51 PM
That was pretty amazing. No, Dani did not play badly. Maria was just not going to lose today. Not to anyone IMO. She was completely focus but did let loose after she won the match. Thank goodness or she might have sacred a few people. :unsure: :lol:

Cariaoke
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:52 PM
that was a breeze.

awesome stats, Sharky. :hearts:

Spunky83
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Wow...this was an awesome game of Maria. She´s the "it"-girl of the moment and I´m pretty sure she can reach the semis.

ys
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:54 PM
I must say, that is the first time that I was impressed by what I've seen from Masha. JIf she plays like that, no one touches her at this tournament.

Left-handed forehand is something extraordinary, and actually, to think about that, something very handy on grass where there is so little for every shot.

shnit.
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:55 PM
daniela did not play badly..sharapova overpowered her..it sucks when all the shots are just there..

lets just hope this lost wouldnt affect something that daniela gained the lastweek..:hug:

i cant believe im saying this but sharapova will go far if she continues to play like this...

Hiko
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Man, that was more one-sided than I expected! How did Maria play? Did Dani make many UE's? What is the storyline?
Had to go to a sports bar to watch. I was really amazed. Dani did not play bad, not at all. It's just that she ran into a Sharapova on a day that she could do no wrong.

Sharapova's serve was untouchable. She hit some incredible winners as well. She had Mary Jo gagging on her superlatives.

I felt a little bad for Dani - wanted to tell her to keep her chin up, that she just ran into the wrong girl on the wrong day (kind of like what I want to say to Venus). But it's probably pretty disheartening to play well and still get owned the way that Hantuchova was.

If Maria can keep that level of tennis up (not a sure thing by any stretch), no one this side of Serena will beat her.

vutt
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:58 PM
I did not see that match, but score suggests it was good old one sided spanking indeed.

SilK
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:00 PM
It Was A Big Power Display... Yeah, It Was One Sided... Both GIRLS Played Really Well Though!

Beat
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:04 PM
i am truly impressed. would have loved to see a closer match, though.

TatiAnnahølic
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:05 PM
too much hype, this match was really boring... :o

SilK
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:07 PM
too much hype, this match was really boring... :o

HELLO, can you read? We ALL Admit the match was boring as HELL. We are just impressed by Maria's game... At least, I am!

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:04 PM
http://www.mariaworld.net/wimbledon0433.jpg

Keep It Up!!

Great job, Masha!!

the cat
Jun 25th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Well done Maria. :) Her play was very impressive.

apoet, Dani only made 8 unforced erros and had 12 winners. She played pretty well. But Masha just dominated her. :D

bandabou
Jun 25th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Maria was en fuego today....wow. with the way the bottom-side of the draw has opened up, she really should reach the SF. Don´t know about winning, because there are still some people who can overpower her in the upper-side of the draw.

SelesFan70
Jun 25th, 2004, 09:32 PM
I saw the match at the gym on my lunch :D Sharapova looked really good...looked like a contender. Too bad Lindsay's in her way. ;)

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jun 25th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Daniela :sad:

Edward.
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Maria was astounding. If she continues like this, no one in the tournament stops her. Simple as that.

Daniela had a fine game, but no one would have stopped Maria today.

Crazy_Fool
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Sharapova is looking good. I think she is a major darkhorse for this competion. I don't see any of the top players playing that well, so it could be a surprise.

Julian
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Agreed..Masha gave a grand slam winning performance and I mean it!

Dani just didnt know what to do..but she should be proud of how she's playing..now she knows she just needs to work more.

BTW I was laughin at the end when Dani was waitin for Maria so they could leave together..then Dani just walked off coz Maria took too long lol

Julian
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:49 PM
http://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/b_05_sharapova30_sun.jpg

Wonderful reaction!

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:30 AM
...lets just hope this lost wouldnt affect something that daniela gained the lastweek..:hug:...
When some posters wrote a while ago that Sharapova might ends up like Dani or Jelena, my response to them was that I still have a great deal of respect for Dani because after all Masha lost to her at Tokyo in February. And since last week I was really glad to see that Dani has come back strongly to the tour (and I believe this time she's come back strongly for good).

So I just want to wish Dani better luck at the next tournament.

And although Masha beat Dani yesterday, Masha still has a long way to catch up with Dani's record of career best #5 ranking.

Greenout
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Just watched the delayed telecast version a bit ago. Dani was too
slow, she's not match tough enough. Maria played her usual style
of tennis minus any errors. Really solid serving, and good passing
shots. Dani was too passive, and seemed just average. It was all
Maria pumped up. Nothing really incredible or mind blowing just yet.

Solid, but nothing to say she'll beat LD or even Sprem.

Chunchun
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:35 AM
http://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/b_05_sharapova30_sun.jpg

:eek: :eek: :haha:

MaSha :yeah:
Dani :sobbbing:

Experimentee
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:37 AM
I saw the match and was really impressed by Masha's play. She seems to go on fire every year on grass, its her surface. She was just attacking the ball non stop, hitting very hard and deep, putting Dani under lots of pressure. Dani didnt play bad, in particular she served very well. If not for her serve she would have lost more easily. With this form i think Masha can reach the final if she keeps it up.

Sadka
Jun 26th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Dani :( :(

wipeout
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Sharapova played amazing yesterday... but her stats for the previous two matches were nowhere near that. This was just the day all the balls landed just in, but another day they could have all landed just out, and this makes me cautious about taking yesterday's match to mean too much yet other than she was in the zone that day.