PDA

View Full Version : Venus deserves an apology.

chris whiteside
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:45 PM
What might have happened we'll never know. But the result is history now.

I am humiliated and embarrassed that such a mistake (and no matter what anyone says the course of the tie break would have been different) could have been made in my own country by a professional umpire at one of the world's premier tournaments.

But I am hopping mad that with typical arrogance neither Wimbledon nor the umpire in question has said sorry to Venus for what was an elementary mistake.

Could an apology not be issued and then a line drawn under the whole affair?

tennisIlove09
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:46 PM
It'd be nice, but I think this will be *the* story of 2004 Wimbledon, much like JHH/Serena is of the 2003 French.

pav
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Nobody seems to give a fat rats backside about a bad line call Sprem recieved not long before,I think it evens out in the end , I know a TB makes each point stand out more, but they all count!

SelesFan70
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:22 PM
An apology from whom? England? Wimbledon? Alan Mills? The umpire? Karolina? :shrug:

Venus had every chance to win BOTH sets, but she didn't. She had every right to question, but she didn't. I wanted her to win, but she didn't. :sad:

"Sluggy"
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:25 PM
I agree. It is really unfortunate for any player to lose a point like that, and it could happen in any country. In any sport with officiating mistakes like this happen.

Trent
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:08 PM
I am humiliated and embarrassed that such a mistake (and no matter what anyone says the course of the tie break would have been different) could have been made in my own country by a professional umpire at one of the world's premier tournaments.

I assure you that alot of mistakes have been made before at major tournments such as Wimbledon, so with that attidute, you've got alot to be humiliated and embarrassed about.

thelittlestelf
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:39 PM
I completely agree. An apology is the least that umpire could do.

Bright Red
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:41 PM
If it's any consolation to you, the umpire was fired from this year's Wimbledon.

Just_lindsay
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:44 PM
An apology from whom? England? Wimbledon? Alan Mills? The umpire? Karolina? :shrug:

Venus had every chance to win BOTH sets, but she didn't. She had every right to question, but she didn't. I wanted her to win, but she didn't. :sad:

She didn't win, but she didn't lose either. By the rules of the game, that match isn't complete until "K-Lina" wins her match point :fiery:

thelittlestelf
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:49 PM
She didn't win, but she didn't lose either. By the rules of the game, that match isn't complete until "K-Lina" wins her match point :fiery:

For some sick reason, that is a consolation for me :-P.

mykarma
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:02 AM
If it's any consolation to you, the umpire was fired from this year's Wimbledon.Do you think he was treated unfairly? Excuse me, but this is Wimbledon, on center court, during a tie break. He allowed something to happen that's never happened in the history of Wimbledon, or any other grandslam for that matter. It's not as though he has 20 things to think about during a match. Just keep the frigging score. If he's not capable of doing, that for what ever reason, he doesn't need to be up there.

This incident, along with his picture, has been played all over the world. I'm sure he's quite embrassed by it all. Maybe he decided not to umpire until this dies down.

I'd say he got off easily. If this happened during a match with Tim Henman, he'd never work at Wimbledon again. As a matter of fact, he'd probably have to leave England.

jrm
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Partially it was her fault as well not noticing the mistake!

Bright Red
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:11 AM
Do you think he was treated unfairly? Excuse me, but this is Wimbledon, on center court, during a tie break. He allowed something to happen that's never happened in the history of Wimbledon, or any other grandslam for that matter. It's not as though he has 20 things to think about during a match. Just keep the frigging score. If he's not capable of doing, that for what ever reason, he doesn't need to be up there.

This incident, along with his picture, has been played all over the world. I'm sure he's quite embrassed by it all. Maybe he decided not to umpire until this dies down.

I'd say he got off easily. If this happened during a match with Tim Henman, he'd never work at Wimbledon again. As a matter of fact, he'd probably have to leave England.
Please read my signature. I'm ecstatic that he was fired.

cheesestix
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:57 AM
and no matter what anyone says the course of the tie break would have been different

Are you psychic or something?

Venus couldn't get it done at 6-3. So what makes you think she would have gotten it done at 6-2?

Venus couldn't convert on any of the 3 set points that she had, but you KNOW that she would have gotten the fourth one? Do tell.

BlinX
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:01 AM
What might have happened we'll never know. But the result is history now.

But I am hopping mad that with typical arrogance neither Wimbledon nor the umpire in question has said sorry to Venus for what was an elementary mistake.

Could an apology not be issued and then a line drawn under the whole affair?

even though i do think that she deserves an apology, she still could have stepped up and asked about the call. She could have questioned and then everything would have been fine, but she didn't :rolleyes:

Mrs. Peel
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:03 AM
even though i do think that she deserves an apology, she still could have stepped up and asked about the call. She could have questioned and then everything would have been fine, but she didn't :rolleyes:

If it isn't K-Lina's job to keep score, then it isn't Venus' either! :rolleyes:

BlinX
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:07 AM
If it isn't K-Lina's job to keep score, then it isn't Venus' either! :rolleyes:

ya so then what are we all talking about???????? questioning calls always happens :rolleyes:

Just_lindsay
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:15 AM

Venus couldn't get it done at 6-3. So what makes you think she would have gotten it done at 6-2?

Venus couldn't convert on any of the 3 set points that she had, but you KNOW that she would have gotten the fourth one? Do tell.
^
|
|
:retard:

The point is clear: NO ONE knows whether she would have gotten the fourth one, but EVERYONE should know that she deserved the opportunity to!

cheesestix
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:25 AM
^
|
|
:retard:

The point is clear: NO ONE knows whether she would have gotten the fourth one, but EVERYONE should know that she deserved the opportunity to!

First of all, nobody's denying that there was a mistake.

Second, had the score been 3-1 instead of 3-2, nobody really knows for sure that it would have gotten to 6-2.

Third, had it gotten to 6-2, nobody knows that Venus would have won the set. Yet, chris whitehead seems to imply that the outcome would have been different. How does he know? Why do you seem to take issue with my asking him how he knows?

In other words, what are YOU babbling about???

Kabezya
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:27 AM
Yes she does deserve an apology.

Just_lindsay
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:28 AM
First of all, nobody's denying that there was a mistake.

Second, had the score been 3-1 instead of 3-2, nobody really knows for sure that it would have gotten to 6-2.

Third, had it gotten to 6-2, nobody knows that Venus would have won the set. Yet, chris whitehead seems to imply that the outcome would have been different. How does he know? Why do you seem to take issue with my asking him how he knows?

In other words, what are YOU babbling about???

What I am babbling about: Wimbledon let a player advance to the third round without winning a second round match... and I'm not talking about Hantuchova :rolleyes: :fiery: :devil:

GO MEGHANN... YOU'RE GOING TO :smash: SOME SPERM

cheesestix
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:30 AM
What I am babbling about: Wimbledon let a player advance to the third round without winning their second round match... and I'm not talking about Hantuchova :rolleyes: :fiery: :devil:

What's that got to do with ME? I've always agreed that there was a mistake, so why are you getting in MY face?

Venus lost! Get over it!

darrinbaker00
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:32 AM
Yes she does deserve an apology.
Unless Alan Mills plans to call both players back on court and resume the match at the point the mistake was made, any apology would be worthless.

Just_lindsay
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:32 AM
What's that got to do with ME? I've always agreed that there was a mistake, so why are you getting in MY face?

Venus lost! Get over it!

I'm not getting into your face... but you're getting on my nerves. Pshaw... talk to the hand (and I'm not talking about Justine's hand... :rolleyes: )

mykarma
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Please read my signature. I'm ecstatic that he was fired.I'm happy and :o . There's so much sarcasm on this board, I got carried away.

vettipooh
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Venus deserves one hell of an apology,otherwise it hangs in the balance as to whether it was really a "mistake". I'm having trouble believing that such a mistake could be made,and no linesman,referee....just nobody....corrected it before it was too late.Now all they can say is that the score stands?That Watts will no longer umpire for the rest of the tournament?Why should he?His job has been done!!!!! :rolleyes:

Cariaoke
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:30 AM
at the very least an apology... from the entire officiating crew. Alan Mills seems like the type to step up to the plate.

Jericho
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Not only does he not apologize, they blame her for it :rolleyes:

TonyP
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:12 AM
The match is over.Venus as rooked out a point, not the match. She had set points. She couldn't convert/ Sprem out played her, pure and simple. Sprem did absolutely nothing wrong. There is not the slightest evidence either of them realized the mistake. You notice neither of them walked to the other side of the court. Neither of them looked toward the umpire. They went on playing.

The match was NOT decided by one point. Sprem deserved her victory.

Venus and Richard behaved well. The rest of you should follow their example.

LeonHart
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Its a SIMPLE mistake. Just like wrong line calls are MISTAKES. get over it!!!

chris whiteside
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:58 AM

Please re-read my post. I have NOT said that Venus would win the tie-break but that the course of it would have been different. Sprem could have won it 7-4, Venus might never have reached 6-2.

It would have been the same up to where Venus led 4-1 but at that stage there would have been another point to be played before the players changed ends. (The umpire mistakenly thought the score was 4-2). Therefore the whole course of the tie-break from where the correct score was 4-1 would have been completely different.

I certainly wouldn't have a clue what would have happened but I NEVER said I did.

hewittrok
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:00 AM
I completely agree. An apology is the least that umpire could do.too late....this is now history.

Rothes
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:07 AM

It was an extra break point, anything could of happened, but thats not the point, The Umpire made the mistake, not Venus or Sprem, and as giving the extra break point, well who knows what could of happen.

He has been disciplined for his careless error.

Experimentee
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Yes they definitely should apologise. This mistake is different from a bad line call, its much worse. K-Lina got a point just out of nowhere, and didnt do anything to earn it. Sometimes its hard to tell whether a ball is out or in when its very close, but its very simple to keep track of the score! This should never have happened and Venus deserves an apology. I think she would have stood a much better chance at winning the set and the match, if she had 4 set points instead of 3.

chris whiteside
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Its a SIMPLE mistake. Just like wrong line calls are MISTAKES. get over it!!!

This is not a simple mistake. It is a very serious lapse by an experienced umpire at the highest level. Line calls are judgement, this was anything but. Perhaps the umpire did not hear the linesperson call out but how could he have missed the clear indication when they extended their arm fully horizontally to emphasize it? He calls 2-2. I can just about accept this as a "mistake" up to this point. But then he allows Sprem to serve a second serve from the same side of the court. Another "mistake" within a few seconds? He could not possibly have been concentrating on his job. I wouldn't allow him to officiate at this level again.

Alan Mills attitude was also not very commendable saying the responsibility was with the player. Maybe so, but I can understand how Venus would not think a point had been awarded in all the confusion when Sprem took a second serve from the same side of the court. Sprem was probably confused too. And I cannot believe that not one of the other officials on the court did not know what was happening and approach the umpire. It reflects very badly on Wimbledon.

Fact It is now history that in the second round of Wimbledon 2004 K.Sprem d. V.Williams 7-6 7-6.

Sure we all make mistakes but you have to pay for them.

I can make a mistake the same as anyone but I would like to think that I would be a big enough human being to come out and say - "I realise that I made a bad mistake and I would like to apologise to everyone concerned".

Something the umpire (nor Wimbledon) had the grace to do.

chris whiteside
Jun 27th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Please re-read my post. I have NOT said that Venus would win the tie-break but that the course of it would have been different. Sprem could have won it 7-4, Venus might never have reached 6-2.

It would have been the same up to where Venus led 4-1 but at that stage there would have been another point to be played before the players changed ends. (The umpire mistakenly thought the score was 4-2). Therefore the whole course of the tie-break from where the correct score was 4-1 would have been completely different.

I certainly wouldn't have a clue what would have happened but I NEVER said I did.

NO RESPONSE, CHEESESTIX?