PDA

View Full Version : Article: Serena, Roddick Accuse Sprem Of Unsportslmanike Conduct

lizchris
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Updated: 11:33 AM EDT
Tennis-Wimbledon-Serena, Roddick slam Sprem over umpire error
By Pritha Sarkar, Reuters

LONDON, June 25 (Reuters) - Serena Williams and Andy Roddick accused Karolina Sprem of being unsporting in accepting a point awarded to her in error during her upset victory over Venus Williams at Wimbledon.
British umpire Ted Watts made the blunder in the second set tiebreak on Thursday when he handed Sprem a point after she faulted on a first serve.

The Croatian went on to win the second-round match 7-6 7-6, condemning Venus to her earliest defeat at Wimbledon for seven years.

"As a competitor and a professional you should be able to distinguish between right and wrong," champion Serena said when she was asked about the incident in her sister's match.

"I've never been in a situation like that before but I'm an honest individual. So if I were in that situation, I know I would make the right choice."

After her victory, Sprem said she not given it any second thought while on court.

"I was confused ... I was like 100 per cent in the match," the 19-year-old Croatian said.

But men's second seed Roddick said that in similar circumstances such an incident would not have passed him by.

"Personally I'd have trouble just taking a point from someone," said the American. "I've heard no one noticed but if it's the biggest match of your life, I'm figuring you know what the score is.

"But I'd have a real issue just pretending nothing was wrong and just taking the point."

"CLASSY INDIVIDUAL"

While Sprem failed to win any admirers among the Americans for her conduct, Venus, who made little of the matter and said it had not turned the match, was praised for the way she handled the situation.

"She's always been a person that handled herself with complete aplomb and self-assurance just a very classy individual," said Serena.

Roddick concurred: "I thought she handled it with a lot of class. I don't know what I would have done in that situation. Probably wouldn't have been pretty.

"But I think she was great about it. Probably behind the scenes she wants to kick someone. But I definitely have to respect the way she handled it."

As a result of his mistake, the All England Club announced that Watts would no longer officiate at this year's tournament.

"If players make mistakes and go over the line, then they get punished," said Roddick, the U.S. Open champion.

"So maybe it should be the same for umpires. But we all make mistakes. You'd just hope it's not on Centre Court at Wimbledon. If this had happened on court 13 with a qualifier playing a qualifier, we would never have heard about it.

"It's unfortunate for him it happened on a pretty big stage when someone was on the verge of an upset."

06/25/04 11:31 ET

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Why wasn't Venus HONEST?? She didn't say shit. Maybe she wanted to lose. :rolleyes:

adayinjune
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Serena should have pulled out her "fabrication" line again

Mase
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:19 PM
If your giving Venus benefit of the doubt that she didnt KNOW what the score was, why would people not do the same for K Lina? Because she was the underdog?
She outplayed V all match long, bottom line. And being that it was the BIGGEST match of her life, Im sure her mind was racing.

Please.

Foot_Fault
Well, Venus knows SPORT. She know that one point didn't turn the match around, Could've made a difference, but I figure, SHE FIGURES, she had her chances.

As far as them Slamming Sprem, thats the Media for you....they are saying what THEY WOULD'VE DONE in those situations, not Slamming Sprem.

They are just creating noise here.(the journalist)

tennisIlove09
:hearts: Serena :hearts: Andy :hearts:

Speaking the truth

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:20 PM
If Venus didn't know the correct score, how the hell is it fair to say that K-Lina did??? Please explain that to me.

Spunky83
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:20 PM
I think itīs not fair of Roddick to say this, as long as heīs not troubled with it. I do understand Serenaīs feelings because sheīs Vīs sister...but hey, itīs pretty damn unfair to blame another player for something which is unknown. Letīs just make a police test with Sprem, if she really said the truth...thatīs BS

Foot_Fault
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Are you the one who invented that dramatic, false title?
for once we agree!

lizchris
Are you the one who invented that dramatic, false title?
The first sentence says it all.

Can you read?

bandabou
Interesting.....and I think specially Andy saying this says a lot....

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Someone answer my question.

GoDominique
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:23 PM
BOTH Venus and Karolina were silly not to contact each other.
But it was Venus' problem, so she should have done the first step.

Beat
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:24 PM
why don't serena and andy ask venus why she didn't complain?

i'm sorry, but this is just ridiculous.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:25 PM
once again....

If Venus didn't know the correct score, how the hell is it fair to say that K-Lina did??? Please explain that to me.

Randy H
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Both of them should have been more aware of the score - as dlandy22 said, if Venus wasn't aware of the score, how it is fair to assume Karolina was any more aware? It was a high pressure situation, both were trying to focus and concentrate, and people sometimes lose track. Shouldn't have happened, but it's no more one's fault over the other.

lizchris
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:26 PM
You're the one who can't read.
Serena Williams and Andy Roddick accused Karolina Sprem of being unsporting

That is similar to saying she was unsportsmanlike.

Good try, but the title of the thread won't be changed unless the administrator says to.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Both of them should have been more aware of the score - as dlandy22 said, if Venus wasn't aware of the score, how it is fair to assume Karolina was any more aware? It was a high pressure situation, both were trying to focus and concentrate, and people sometimes lose track. Shouldn't have happened, but it's no more one's fault over the other.
Thank you.

LuckyStrike
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:28 PM
The should focus on their Game instead of talking too much!!!!!!

Karolina rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Principessa
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Whatever.

vogus
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:29 PM
in my experience this particular writer (PRITHA SARKAR) has an openly pro-Williams sisters (and anti-the-rest-of-the-WTA) bias. It's not the first time i've noticed this. Every single article i've read by her has a pro-Williams slant.

WorldWar24
Sprem... poor girl

She didn't even know what was going on, and now these people who didn't see the match say "I wouldn't have taken that point, I'm fair" :rolleyes:

Whatever

bandabou
Plus.....it was KAROLINA who profited from the mistake. You think if they did it for Venus, Karolina would still be having that smirk on her face?!

lizchris
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:30 PM
I know, but like, it's just like you want to start unnecessary drama.

Journalists are always looking for controversy. If you read the article, nowhere do Roddick or Serena accused Sprem of unsportsmanlike conduct.
The whole damn incident is a DRAMA and not started by me.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Plus.....it was KAROLINA who profited from the mistake. You think if they did it for Venus, Karolina would still be having that smirk on her face?!
Karolina had no smirk on her face, you idiot. The umpire did, not Karolina.

Principessa
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Well, if ANDY says so it must be true.

bwguy
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Silly.

(And, yes, that's all that needs to be said.)

lizchris
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Karolina had no smirk on her face, you idiot. The umpire did, not Karolina.
Actually, she did. They showed her facial expressions on the news last night.

Mase
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:37 PM
People can intrept however THEY personally want to, to me she just look damn confused.

CapFan#1
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:38 PM
I love Venus, and I think the ref really fucked her over big time. Really, Venus should have known the socre and she should have said something. I understand though, when Vee says she wasnt sure of the score, she was just fighting so hard. I played a match 2 weeks ago, where I was down match point in the 3rd set, and didnt even realize it until after I had won the match when someone told me that I served a 2nd serve ace at 6-7 in the tie-breaker. This is what happens when you focus so hard. This is what happened to both Venus and K-Lina. ANYONE who saw that match, say both of them confused and just continue with play. She did not cheat...... I understand Serena is upset for her sister, but let's face it becuase it is her sister, she is not the most objective person to comment on this. As far as Andy, i like him a lot, but he she kept his duck mouth shut.

mariok
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:40 PM
once again....

Is it just me, or everybody's ignoring dlandy's question? Can't figure out why...
:rolleyes:

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Roddick :devil: Serena :devil:

cellophane
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Media twisting at its best.

From the AP article:

Serena Williams, who said she didn't watch her sister's match, questioned why Sprem didn't acknowledge the error at the time.

``As a competitor and as a professional, you should be able to distinguish between right and wrong,'' said the two-time defending champion. ``I've never been in a situation like that before. I'm an honest individual. If I were in that situation, I know I'd make the right choice.''

Nowhere, in this quote, does Serena say K-Lina knew anything about it or cheated. The media pose a question about what *she* would do *if* she knew. Serena only said what she would do, but the media twist it as if Serena had said K-Lina had done something.

venus_envy
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Honestly, I keep hearing people say that the players should be keeping track of the scores but I think its unfair to expect them to do that. I mean what in the world are the scorekeepers and the linesmen being paid for. It would be very easy for somebody who is really concentrating on winning a match to lose track of the score especially if they are concentrating on just winning every point. Venus was screwed bottom line. If they were fair they would have made them play the tie break over or at least the last point since technically Sprem really didn't win the match (she has to win the tie break by two points). Big props to Serena and Andy for speaking the truth!

ys
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:22 PM
When one is an idiot, it'll stay the same forever. Two low class loudmouthes. And they ask why so many people like Venus and dislike Serena, and why so many people dislike Roddick. But no surprise here really.

jenny161185
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Im sorry but Serena and Andy are out of line saying Karolina is dishonest for taking the point she was totally immersed in the match ,I watched the match and saw Karolina play for the first time and thought she was brilliant,I think Venus will be back next year,hungries than ever.

GoDominique
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Media twisting at its best.

From the AP article:

Serena Williams, who said she didn't watch her sister's match, questioned why Sprem didn't acknowledge the error at the time.

``As a competitor and as a professional, you should be able to distinguish between right and wrong,'' said the two-time defending champion. ``I've never been in a situation like that before. I'm an honest individual. If I were in that situation, I know I'd make the right choice.''

K. But her behaviour at MP against Jen a few weeks ago wasn't that great either.

lizchris
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:29 PM
When one is an idiot, it'll stay the same forever. Two low class loudmouthes. And they ask why so many people like Venus and dislike Serena, and why so many people dislike Roddick. But no surprise here really.
Low class loudmouths that had Slam trophies, something Karolina can only dream of because she isn't winning here.

harloo
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:33 PM
What's so controversial about Andy and Serena's comments? ROTF!!!!

I have to say that alot of today's new up and coming younger players show little sportsmanship. They want to win at all costs, and while that attitude is encouraging to the improvement of women's tennis it can also be dangerous . :)

VivalaSeles
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:36 PM
I have to say that alot of today's new up and coming younger players show little sportsmanship. They want to win at all costs, and while that attitude is encouraging to the improvement of women's tennis it can also be dangerous . :)
Agreed. But do you think Karolina shows little sportsmanship and wants to win at all costs ?

ys
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Low class loudmouths that had Slam trophies, something Karolina can only dream of because she isn't winning here.
A number of Slams won has nothing to do with intelligence, decency and good manners.

bandabou
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:41 PM
K. But her behaviour at MP against Jen a few weeks ago wasn't that great either.

How so?! She didnīt have anything to do with it....the linesmen called the ball out and the umpire overruled....she didnīt complain or do anything. Whatīs your problemo?!

DiZZiA
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:42 PM
So only "that" one point made the difference?????? Hello??? :rolleyes:
I don't understand why the media saying like because of "that" one point it cost Venus the match....... and Karolina won the match because of "that" one point!!!???

OK..... say if Venus got "that" 3-1 lead in the tiebreak.... who can actually predict what's going on next? In fact, Venus built up a 6-3 lead with 3 set points but choked away....... Is that Karolina's fault???? :rolleyes:

I think (in memory) not even Venus mentioned anything in her post-match interview to assume Karolina "knew"(???) about the mistake...... So, Serena... shows some class like your sister does ;) ..... and Andy... just shut the hell up!!! :p

ys
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:51 PM
What's so controversial about Andy and Serena's comments?
Very simple. What they say can be easily translated as "I am a better, more decent person than her, I would have shown my wonderful sportsmanship if I were to be in this kind of situation"..

Braggarts and fools. Until you get in this kind of situation, when you have to quickly make a difficult choice in a heat of a tightest match, perhaps your biggest match ever, when either of them gets in that kind of situation and makes the right choice, then hats off and they'd have every single right to say what they've said. But saying that while never being in such situation is pretty much similar to claiming being a courageous person under fire while never being under fire. It's foolishness and disrespect.

And let me somewhat question Andy's ability to keep cool, fair and composed in tight match situations. We all remember some examples when he was not.

For that matter, I am not really bitter at JHH for the hand accident itself. My reason for disliking her is that she never admitted that she made the wrong choice. In Sprem situation we don't even have an evidence that she was making any choice at all.

fammmmedspin
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Well thats an open invitation for the next young player who plays Serena to walk over To the umpire at any key point in the tiebreak and ask if the score is right because she knows the williams sisters can't count themselves and the umpiring is never perfect . We would never hear the end of that. If it was anyone's job to question it was the senior player who was disadvantaged not the rookie and no one questioned it as they didn't want to break their concentration or look a fool. Fact is Ted could have been right, wrong, over-ruling the previous line call or the service fault or anything that came into his befuddled head so its not surprising everyone feels confused. Depressing that the two top American players should say something so stupid.

lizchris
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:56 PM
A number of Slams won has nothing to do with intelligence, decency and good manners.
Maybe, but whent these two die, their obits will start with Grand Slam Champion, not the person who was part of a controversial match at a Grand Slam.

cellophane
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:56 PM
But that's another matter whether she is honest/dishonest herself. In this particular quote, she didn't even mention K-Lina. That's why I think what the article says is bs, just to create more controversy. Same with Roddick, as he wasn't asked whether K-Lina had done anything and he didn't say anything about it either.

GoDominique
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:57 PM
How so?! She didnīt have anything to do with it....the linesmen called the ball out and the umpire overruled....she didnīt complain or do anything. Whatīs your problemo?!
She walked to the deuce side before she realised that there had been an overrule, thinking that she had been given the point.
And Jen's shot was clearly on the line which Serena most likely knew.
No big deal. But for some people things like this are a big deal.

BlinX
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:00 PM
I agree with most of the posts in this thread, if that had happened to Sprem and Venus had gotten an extra point, everything would have been fine and dandy. But since it was Venus, everyone is shocked and just tries to make excuses. I think that if it was such a big deal, Sprem shouldn't be taking all the blame, especially since Venus was on the same court playing the same match, and she should have said something. As for Serena and Andy, they're two big mouth losers who are acting all classy and proper. I wonder what they would have done, especially since they are two of the biggest losers in tennis right now. Serena crying after French Open 2003, Roddick with his outbursts...so you know what, everyone should just stop talking about it because Venus could have said something about it so leave Sprem alone.:tape:

cool bird
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:01 PM
I can understand why both players have spoken up for there defence of Venus. Venus is Serena sisters. And Andy has know the Williams form the age of 10 I think. Didnt he use to play them. Anyway so he is gonna stick up for them if asked a question

Spunky83
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:04 PM
I love Venus, and I think the ref really fucked her over big time. Really, Venus should have known the socre and she should have said something. I understand though, when Vee says she wasnt sure of the score, she was just fighting so hard. I played a match 2 weeks ago, where I was down match point in the 3rd set, and didnt even realize it until after I had won the match when someone told me that I served a 2nd serve ace at 6-7 in the tie-breaker. This is what happens when you focus so hard. This is what happened to both Venus and K-Lina. ANYONE who saw that match, say both of them confused and just continue with play. She did not cheat...... I understand Serena is upset for her sister, but let's face it becuase it is her sister, she is not the most objective person to comment on this. As far as Andy, i like him a lot, but he she kept his duck mouth shut.

WOW...I completly agree with you (what happened?),lol.

Kabezya
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:06 PM
I don't mind Serena sticking up for her sister and stating her opinion as she feels it. Same with Andy. It is clearly an unfortunate incident for both Karolina and Venus. I can't speak for what was going through either player's mind - they are the only two who know. There is a lot of confusion, some resentment and surprise with the circumstances of yesterday's match. The facts are what they are and one main one being Sprem lived another day and Venus now gets to watch Serena play. On to the next tournament and hopefully nothing like this ever happens again.

Hiko
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Prove to me the Sprem knew that she was getting a bonus point, and I'll say the same.

She was confused, Venus was confused, the umpire was confused. There's no one to blame but human error. It was an extremely tight match, but Sprem definitely played well enough to win.

Serena and Andy seem to be speculating in this article about how they would react if they knew they'd been given a bonus point. They're not saying that Sprem knew.

Stop making excuses - especially when Venus doesn't make any for herself. It's petty.

tennisluver99
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:11 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Serena and Roddick talking about sportsmanship. They're two of the most unsportsmanlike people in tennis. Especially Roddick who acts like a big baby whenever he's losing.

Both Venus and Sprem didn't know what was going on, why is everyone blaming Sprem? Why didn't Venus open her mouth and say something?

Besides, Venus was up 6-3 in the tiebreak and pissed it away. She deserved to lose. I was very disappointed with Venus' performance.

Pureracket
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Why wasn't Venus HONEST?? She didn't say shit. Maybe she wanted to lose. :rolleyes::worship: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rtael
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Hmmm....thanks Roddick....I *was* looking for *another* reason to hate you.

Strange Famous
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:59 PM
It's a shame Serena couldnt conduct herself with the same dignity as her sister did.

And if Roddick is so sure that Sprem did know the score, because a player would always know, then surely Venus must have known too, by Roddick's logic? So why not criticise her?

I suspect any kind of application of basic logic might be a bit much for Andy though.

Venus had just as much reason to be aware of the mistake as Sprem, and she didnt call it either - no one is calling Venus an idiot, but they are assuming Sprem is unsporting... which is plain stupid.

bandabou
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Godominique,

If the linesmen calls the ball out....whatīs Serena supposed to do?! And I donīt think Serena could see if the ball was in or out, because she had to reach for it going to her backhand..

Ballbuster
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Both Andy and Serena are correct.

Why Cheat?

When you cheat, the tour turns against you. Now the tour will question Sprem's honesty. clearly the girl wanted to win at all cost. But to cheat is a lack of integrity.

Her credibility as a player was on the line. Sprem Failed!!!!

Its becoming in fashion to Cheat a Williams to Win.

tennisluver99
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:37 PM

Why Cheat?

When you cheat, the tour turns against you. Now the tour will question Sprem's honesty. clearly the girl wanted to win at all cost. But to cheat is a lack of integrity.

The only way someone can beat a Williams is to cheat?

So I guess Lisa Raymond cheated at the Aussie and Myskina and Capriati cheated at the French.

Okay, whatever you say, retard.

Strange Famous
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:39 PM

Why Cheat?

I'm sorry, since I am probably not as expert as you, can you please explain to me which rule Sprem broke, and you are basing calling her a "cheat" on?

Principessa
Damn :baby:. Get ova it.

bandabou
For the record: Serena didnīt say Karolina cheated..

Cariaoke
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Reading is fundamental... *sigh*

Q. If you were confronted with a situation like Karolina Sprem was yesterday where your opponent got a free point due to an umpire's error, what would you have done? What's the right thing to do?

ANDY RODDICK: Personally, I'd have trouble just taking a point from someone. You know, I've heard that no one noticed and stuff, but if it's the biggest match of your life, I'm figuring you know what the score is. That just seems like that would be the case.

But I'd have a real issue just pretending like nothing was wrong and just taking the point.

Q. What do you think should be done with regard to the umpire who made that call?

ANDY RODDICK: That's not my issue. You know, obviously, you know, if players make mistakes and go over the line, then they get punished. So maybe it should be the same for umpires. But, you know, I mean, we all make mistakes. You'd hope that it's not on Centre Court at Wimbledon. If this had happened on Court 13 with a qualifier playing qualifier, we probably would never have heard of it.

You know, it's just unfortunate for him that it happened on a pretty big stage when someone was on the verge of an upset.

Q. What were you thinking about Venus Williams when she went through this yesterday?

ANDY RODDICK: I mean, I don't...

Q. What were your thoughts for Venus Williams, to have that sort of break against her?

ANDY RODDICK: I thought she handled it with a lot of class. I mean, I don't know what I would have done in that situation. Probably wouldn't have been pretty. But I think she was great about when it did happen. I think she was great afterwards, from what I've read, just saying, "Regardless, I'm still up 6‑3."

I mean, I definitely have to respect the way she handled it. I mean, it's unfortunate. You know, probably behind the scenes she wants to kick someone. But, you know, I think it was pretty graceful the way she went about things.

Q. Were you surprised she didn't question the score? She obviously looked like, "Wait a minute, something is not right." She said later probably she did know something was wrong but she figured since no one was saying anything, she must have lost track of the score.

ANDY RODDICK: I can understand that maybe. I mean, I still think I'd like to know the score. But if everyone else is just going along with it, you know, obviously doubt creeps into your mind that, "Maybe I just spaced out." Then you have to face the question, "Am I really embarrassed if I ask if it's 3‑1 and it's 3‑2?"

I don't know. I've never been in that situation. Hopefully I won't have to be.

Q. Even more amazing was that the linesman that called the first serve out didn't get up and go to the chair and say, "I called that out, it wasn't a point."

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I don't know. There's a lot of scenarios. Something like that probably shouldn't happen at a tournament of this magnitude, but it did. You know, I guess that's that.

Q. Do you lose track of the score ever or are you pretty focused on that while you're playing?

ANDY RODDICK: I like to think in a tiebreaker I'd know what the score was. I don't recall. I'm sure we've all forgotten the score from time to time. But I don't know in a tiebreaker on Centre Court at Wimbledon if I was threatening to be on my way out, if I'd forget it. That seems to be something that would be on my mind.

Q. What was your reaction to what happened with the call in Venus' match in the tiebreaker yesterday?
SERENA WILLIAMS: To be honest with you, I didn't watch the match because I was at home and I can't watch her on TV. I get too nervous.

Q. Knowing what happened, if you were in the shoes of Venus' opponent, if you were confronted in a situation where you were given a free point, how would you have reacted? What should be the reaction?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think as a competitor and as a professional, you should be able to distinguish right and wrong. But, you know, I'm not here to talk about Venus.

Q. What is your reaction to the umpire being dismissed from any action in the rest of the tournament?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, you know, I think he ‑‑ I don't know. Like I said, I didn't see it. It's just obviously, you know, unfortunate.

Q. Have you ever been in a situation like that, where the umpire or player lost track of the score?>

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I've never been in a situation like that before. But, you know, I'm an honest individual. So if I were in that situation, I know I would make the right choice.

Q. How odd is it, if at all, to have to console Venus in a time like this while you're still competing?

SERENA WILLIAMS: " Odd." I think she has to console me more than anything. I think I'm upset more than she is.

Q. It never gets old, in other words, when either one of you lose and the other one is still in the tournament?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No. I mean, obviously we hope the other one will win, because we put all our hopes and all our spirit and energy towards whoever is left in the tournament.

Q. Can you elaborate on the statement you made a minute ago, that you're more upset than she is?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I'm not able to elaborate. I'm sorry (laughter).

Q. What was she like after the match? She handled things in a very quiet way here. What was she like beyond this room?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, you guys saw her after the match, right? So...

Q. I assume you saw her after she left the grounds.

SERENA WILLIAMS: You should never assume (laughter).

Q. A lot of people yesterday were saying Venus doesn't appear to have that spark that she had maybe in 2000, '01. Do you see it? Is it just a matter of coming back from everything you two had to come back from at the end of last year?

SERENA WILLIAMS: To be honest with you, I think Venus has had unbelievable spark and unbelievable desire. You know, I think she's playing really well. I mean, she works really hard. So I think, if anything, she's just a really strong person ‑ stronger than I am, for sure.

Q. What does it say about her, the way she handled that defeat and the circumstances yesterday?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, it just says, you know, how she's always been, I mean, from the beginning of her career, since the infamous "bump" until now.

She's always been a person that handled herself with complete aplomb and self‑assurance, you know, just high standards, very confident individual, very classy individual.

Q. You've described how you would have handled it if you were in Karolina Sprem's shoes. How would you have handled it if you were in your sister's shoes yesterday?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I never described how I would have handled it if I was in the other girl's shoes.

Q. Well, you responded sort of about that. How would you have handled it if you were in Venus' shoes?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I mean, I don't know. Hopefully I won't have the opportunity to be in her shoes because it's just not something I want to be in right now, you know. You can never really say what you're going to do unless you're actually in the situation. It's kind of weird to say.

Q. Does having her out of the draw make you want to take on a little bit extra to help make sure that a Williams gets through and maybe carry some of her hopes with you?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Of course. Of course.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Ballbuster, keep posting. :haha: I'M ON THE FLOOR HERE :haha:

Anna F'd Enrique
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:11 PM
you dont usually hear Roddick talking about the women. Interesting

bandabou
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:11 PM
See.....no words about Sprem being unsportsmanilike.....but Andy is right. How can Venus NOT know the score in such an important tiebreak?! I guess I should be more mad at her than at the umpire!!

Truthwillout
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:07 PM
See.....no words about Sprem being unsportsmanilike.....but Andy is right. How can Venus NOT know the score in such an important tiebreak?! I guess I should be more mad at her than at the umpire!!

That's the way, Bandabou, you may still be recovering your mental sanity. Keep working on it.

Havok
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:22 PM
WHy do people keep failing to realise that the Media takes things out of context. I haven't read Serena's interview, but Andy's interview they asked him if he was in the position what would have happened/what he would have done. Nowhere did he mention Sprem's name so people need to read both Serena and Andy's interviews before speaking up:o

Bright Red
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by dlandy22
once again....

Is it just me, or everybody's ignoring dlandy's question? Can't figure out why...
:rolleyes:
I refer you to what Andy Roddick said...

But men's second seed Roddick said that in similar circumstances such an incident would not have passed him by.

"Personally I'd have trouble just taking a point from someone," said the American. "I've heard no one noticed but if it's the biggest match of your life, I'm figuring you know what the score is.

DunkMachine
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Whate are Serena and Roddick supposed to say: "I would have taken the point too. It is ok to take a point when the umpire makes a mistake."

Spare me the judgemental bullshit puhlease

thelittlestelf
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:46 PM
I think most people would notice Venus' reaction and see the mistake, but I have no right to say that Sprem is most people.

LindsayRocks89
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Serena and Andy :bounce:

Kart
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:48 PM
They're wrong - Sprem did nothing palpably unsporting - but it's nice to see Andy standing up for his fellow countrywoman. Serena, of course, you'd expect it.

SJW
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:48 PM
i have come to the conclusion that a lot of this board are fucking idiots who can't read, can't comprehend and are trouble makers. "oh, Sprem is a cheater", "oh, Serena is so LOW CLASS" blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah and most of you *say* you are grown adults....

ys you are SO full of bullshit. i really would like to know your age because i think you and diya should have children and grow up bitter, unintelligent, jealous SOBs without a frickin clue. you get my award for most stupid wtaworld poster and that's saying something cuz you have a lot of competition.

Winston's Human
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:43 AM

Would you also consider the "journalist" asking this question to be a "low class loudmouth"?

It seems to me that Roddick did not gratuitously comment on the Venus-Karolina match. He was asked about it by some controversy-seeking journalist. And I wonder why so many people dislike journalists.

JLDementieva
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:48 AM
Shut the hell up Roddick!

Trent
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:52 AM
It's a real shame when an incident like this spoils a really good match.

It is no ones fault but the umpires, and I feel sorry for him too.

shnit.
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:55 AM
blah blah blah roddick..:rolleyes:

but seriously..umpire's fault..and sourta the line's people too because if they heard him and they knew it wasnt right..they should've complained..

Hiko
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:56 AM
After hearing both their interviews today, I am subjectively concluding that Serena never implied that Sprem knew. She answered the question as asked - "IF you knew, would you accept the free point?"

Roddick, however, implied that Sprem HAD to know, since it was the "Biggest Match of Her Life". Which just goes to show that, yes, Andy is as dumb as he seems.

moby
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:01 AM
i don't know about andy
but i read serena's interview, and her quote was taken out of context
also, if this had happened the other way round
(i.e. venus won the 1st set tiebreak and was given a free point in the 2nd) we wouldnt have heard anything about it
you guys would say that it didn't make a difference and venus would have won anyway

Greenout
Jun 26th, 2004, 10:57 AM
I'm shocked that CNN World Sport made a snide report about
the Chair Umpire being taken off the event today with this odd
quote..

"and if either PLAYER knew about the point error, they're not saying"

This is so unprofessional, and rather bitchy. :(

ans
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Finally some topic to replace the hand-incident.
Sprem-fans, get ready for the Williams-fans still nagging about this in about a year;)

Bright Red
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:45 PM
After hearing both their interviews today, I am subjectively concluding that Serena never implied that Sprem knew. She answered the question as asked - "IF you knew, would you accept the free point?"

Roddick, however, implied that Sprem HAD to know, since it was the "Biggest Match of Her Life". Which just goes to show that, yes, Andy is as dumb as he seems.
It boggles my mind why Andy's statement is going over so many people's head. If I were in a second set tiebreak and on the verge of upsetting one the arguably two current best players of Wimbledon, I'd sure know how many points I needed.

This, of course, doesn't mean that Sprem in fact did know. But it's absolutely reasonable to believe that she did. I personally choose to give her the benefit of the doubt. And yes, there is doubt.

It's funny that only on this tennis board are we hearing that it's absurd to think that Sprem might have known. Yet, there have been at least two professional tennis players and several journalists that have said or implied exactly the same thing--i.e. that Sprem most likely knew she was given a free point. As Arsenio Hall would say, this is something that makes you go "Hmmmm???"

Đ@ŪeLess
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Karolina is better, end of story. Williams can not win all the time. New generation is coming and they are hungry for victories-so they should be :)

bandabou
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Sprem-fans, get ready for the Williams-fans still nagging about this in about a year;)

Hand-incident?! Whose hand?! :shrug: ;)

AjdeNate!
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:51 PM
And my last point about this. Sprem lost her chance to serve. So she TOO was at a disadvantage in the tiebreak. Venus served more points than K-Lina. So, Karolina was cheated in this mess too.

Bright Red
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Karolina is better, end of story. Williams can not win all the time. New generation is coming and they are hungry for victories-so they should be :)
While I concede that Karolina was better yesterday, there's no way I see her as being better than Venus. For crying out loud, she played what was perhaps one of the best games of her life yesterday. Venus certainly didn't play at her best level. Let's pick up this discussion the next time they meet.

bandabou
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:54 PM
And my last point about this. Sprem lost her chance to serve. So she TOO was at a disadvantage in the tiebreak. Venus served more points than K-Lina. So, Karolina was cheated in this mess too.

But she didnīt LOSE a point due to it...she in fact was awarded an point without even serving for it.

Sharapova's_Boy
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:01 PM
OMG. :rolleyes:

:yeah: @ Dlandy's post. Spot on. :D

AjdeNate!
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:02 PM
The chair didn't let K-Lina serve her proper serves. I will not be rational and debate this as an adult. I'm right and you can't change my mind. I'm not open minded.

It's racist. It's nationalist.

Anger has taken over.
Rage has set in.

This injustice will not be tolerated.

*sarcasm for those who aren't awake yet.
I'm so ready to move on from this.

Peer101
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Both Serena is a Jackass and so is Andy

You know Serena would have taken that point

Bright Red
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:03 PM
*sarcasm for those who aren't awake yet.
I'm so ready to move on from this.
LOL!

vutt
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Andy should mind his own business.

Bright Red
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:16 PM
This match will be more significant for Venus than Sprem. No one will forget that Venus' formidable streak at Wimbledon (ignoring her losses to Serena) was ended in a controversial match. Going forward, i think the match will be referenced in this way without mentioning Sprem at all.

Strange Famous
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:03 PM
This match will be more significant for Venus than Sprem. No one will forget that Venus' formidable streak at Wimbledon (ignoring her losses to Serena) was ended in a controversial match. Going forward, i think the match will be referenced in this way without mentioning Sprem at all.

The controversy had nothing to do with the result, Venus lost because Sprem was the better player that day. Venus had the dignity to admit that and give respect to her opponent. It's a shame some of her fans don't have as much class as Venus showed.

Strange Famous
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Andy should mind his own business.

I agree. When Roddick stops acting like a petulant child on court, and learns not to throw his toys out of the pram when things dont go his way, THEN maybe he can talk about other people. Listening to one of the least sporting and most obnoxious professionals in tennis preach sporting behaviour to KLina Sprem is just comical.

Diesel
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:06 PM

So when a wrong is done keep quiet about it?

Diesel
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:08 PM
The controversy had nothing to do with the result, Venus lost because Sprem was the better player that day. Venus had the dignity to admit that and give respect to her opponent. It's a shame some of her fans don't have as much class as Venus showed.

It's a shame the classy Venus fans aren't getting much credit or recognition. But then again I have yet to see one classy individual ever call out someone who wasn't deemed classy.

watrat
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:29 PM
I kind of understand that Serena is upset cause her sis lost, but Andy... :rolleyes: WTF is he to accuse K-Lina of cheeting! If Venus is OK with the situation why is he making comments cause it's non of his bussiness. :mad:

Bright Red
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:56 PM
The controversy had nothing to do with the result, Venus lost because Sprem was the better player that day. Venus had the dignity to admit that and give respect to her opponent. It's a shame some of her fans don't have as much class as Venus showed.Even Venus would admit that there was controversy. It's a real shame that you won't acknowledge it. And no Sprem didn't win only because she played well. Sprem was certainly helped by the error. After all, she won with a tiebreak score of 7-6 and last time I checked you need to win by two points. People can delude themselves all they want, but there's unmistakably a lot of controversy surrounding this match and we'll never know what the outcome would have been had the match been scored correctly. 7-6, 7-6 (with 7-6 tiebreak) is too close to call.

TonyP
Jun 26th, 2004, 02:58 PM
There should be no controversy. There are bad calls in tennis all the time and the use of digital technology like shotspot proves this.

But there is not one shred of evidence that Sprem knew she had been erroneously awarded a point. Why should she have known, and Venus not known?

Why didn't any of the other officials realize it? Why didn't anyone in the crowd shout out "the score is wrong?"

Trying to brand Sprem as a poor sport is in and of itself a degree of poor sportsmanship.

Venus behaved beautifully. So did Richard Williams. He took it better than I probably would have, had I been in his place.

Don't detract from Sprem's victory. VBenus had three set points and blew every one of them. Sprem outplayed Venus, end of story.

Kabezya
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:01 PM
There are 3 pages of end of story :scratch:

Bright Red
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:10 PM
There should be no controversy. There are bad calls in tennis all the time and the use of digital technology like shotspot proves this.

But there is not one shred of evidence that Sprem knew she had been erroneously awarded a point. Why should she have known, and Venus not known?

Why didn't any of the other officials realize it? Why didn't anyone in the crowd shout out "the score is wrong?"

Trying to brand Sprem as a poor sport is in and of itself a degree of poor sportsmanship.

Venus behaved beautifully. So did Richard Williams. He took it better than I probably would have, had I been in his place.

Don't detract from Sprem's victory. VBenus had three set points and blew every one of them. Sprem outplayed Venus, end of story.
I'm not saying that Sprem is a poor sport or that she caused the controversy. I'm not saying that the umpire intentionally mis-scored the match because I personally think it was an accident. The fact of the matter is that the match was not scored properly and it was during the most critical part of the decisive set. As a fan of Venus, I feel she was robbed, and there's nothing you or anyone can say that will change that.

It has nothing to do with how I feel about Sprem.

Fantastic
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:17 PM
I didn't read anything in that article that implies Serena or Andy accused Karolina of unsportsmanlike behaviour. The writer made that up. She read way too much into their comments and came up with her own fantasy for the situation. I'll bet she'd love it if Serena or Andy had come right out and pointed the finger at Karolina, but they didn't and she shouldn't have tried to suggest that they were attacking her in any way.

Why is the onus of keeping the score on the players anyhow? The umpire was responsible for the mistake and he has already been punished in a severe way. He did not do it maliciously or with intent to hinder a specific player. Give the man a break. The match is over. The result stands. Venus has accepted the result. Karolina has accepted the result. It rains one day. It is sunny the next. Get over it!

Bright Red
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:19 PM
[QUOTE=TonyP]There should be no controversy. There are bad calls in tennis all the time and the use of digital technology like shotspot proves this....

QUOTE]

re: your first point. You might have had a point had Venus lost 6-2, 6-2 in which case I would agree that the free point probably wouldn't have mattered. But Venus lost by 6-7 in the tiebreak when the rules clearly state that a player must win by two points. The free point was critical. And regardless of how well you've convinced yourself, this doesn't happen all the time. Pam and Cliff Drysdale were shocked. I guess you've seen more tennis than they have.

re: your second point. Richard would have the umpire call even more matches during this tournament. I think that's way too generous. Fortunately, the officials agree with me and they have fired the poor umpire for the remainder of the tournament.

Experimentee
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Serena isnt accusing Sprem of anything.
The question she was asked was "what would you have done had you been in a situation where you were incorrectly awarded a point?"
And she answered that she would have done the honest thing and given the point back.
Nowhere did she accuse Sprem of anything. Its just another case of journalists baiting a player then taking the quote out of context. :rolleyes:

Bright Red
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:30 PM
The thing that really sickens me is that so many posters want to ignore the fact that Venus was robbed of a point that effectively cost her the match. That part of the story is certain. What isn't certain is whether Venus would have gone on to lose the match on her own.

I've bent over backwards praising Sprem for her impressive performance against Venus, but I'm starting to get real tired of people assuming that Venus would have lost anyway and that the free point didn't matter.

chris whiteside
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=ans]Finally some topic to replace the hand-incident.

I am not an out and out Williams sisters fan although I appreciate the tennis they play and what they have done for the game.

But the "hand-incident" which you mention is why I will never have any respect for Justine Henin-H.

Experimentee
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:35 PM

Trying to compare this to a bad call is lame. This was worse than a bad call. Sometimes when the ball is close to the line its hard to tell whether its in or out, and that is excusable. But the umpire should never lose track of the score, and pull out an extra point from nowhere. I have never seen that before, and i dont think anyone can try to say that mistake is common. Its the worst mistake by an umpire I've ever seen in all my years of watching professional tennis.

Experimentee
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:39 PM
The thing that really sickens me is that so many posters want to ignore the fact that Venus was robbed of a point that effectively cost her the match. That part of the story is certain. What isn't certain is whether Venus would have gone on to lose the match on her own.

I've bent over backwards praising Sprem for her impressive performance against Venus, but I'm starting to get real tired of people assuming that Venus would have lost anyway and that the free point didn't matter.

They are just Williams haters who cant think past the end result and focus on what went wrong during the match. Most of the people you speak of wanted Venus to lose anyway, and are happy that she did, however it happened.

sarza
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=ans]Finally some topic to replace the hand-incident.

I am not an out and out Williams sisters fan although I appreciate the tennis they play and what they have done for the game.

But the "hand-incident" which you mention is why I will never have any respect for Justine Henin-H.

wot happened with the hand excatly

Jericho
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Trying to compare this to a bad call is lame. This was worse than a bad call. Sometimes when the ball is close to the line its hard to tell whether its in or out, and that is excusable. But the umpire should never lose track of the score, and pull out an extra point from nowhere. I have never seen that before, and i dont think anyone can try to say that mistake is common. Its the worst mistake by an umpire I've ever seen in all my years of watching professional tennis.
Exactly! Its not like they called a point Venus hit out instead of in. That in itself could've changed how Venus would've played the next point. Maybe they should test the ump for drugs :tape:

Experimentee
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:43 PM
It boggles my mind why Andy's statement is going over so many people's head. If I were in a second set tiebreak and on the verge of upsetting one the arguably two current best players of Wimbledon, I'd sure know how many points I needed.

This, of course, doesn't mean that Sprem in fact did know. But it's absolutely reasonable to believe that she did. I personally choose to give her the benefit of the doubt. And yes, there is doubt.

It's funny that only on this tennis board are we hearing that it's absurd to think that Sprem might have known. Yet, there have been at least two professional tennis players and several journalists that have said or implied exactly the same thing--i.e. that Sprem most likely knew she was given a free point. As Arsenio Hall would say, this is something that makes you go "Hmmmm???"

All my commentators actually thought Sprem knew as well. I havent heard of anyone who thought Sprem didnt know, then when i come on this board, most people think she didnt! Like I said, i think they are just so happy for Sprem to beat Venus that they think she is just the greatest, and totally innocent :rolleyes:

Jericho
Jun 26th, 2004, 03:46 PM

I know exactly what you mean...i am pissed off because we'll never know what would have happened. Venus could have won that set and the third set could've been awesome. Or maybe Venus would've lost anyways.

I can't believe people don't think one point could make a difference. If Lisa Raymond's match at the French Open was suspended at 0-6 0-5 30-30, who in their right minds would've thought she would come back to win. I've seen many single points that changed the tide of a match so who knows.

ans
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Hand-incident?! Whose hand?! :shrug: ;)
:bigwave:

ans
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:04 PM
So when a wrong is done keep quiet about it?
Oh sorry, didn't know you can't read. I didn't say that.

DA FOREHAND
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:20 PM
If your giving Venus benefit of the doubt that she didnt KNOW what the score was, why would people not do the same for K Lina? Because she was the underdog?
She outplayed V all match long, bottom line. And being that it was the BIGGEST match of her life, Im sure her mind was racing.

Please.

That's all BULLSHIT! AND YOU know had it happened to Jenn, you and she would be dropping F-bombs left and right.

Like Andy said "It's the biggest match of your life...you know the score"...

justine now has company , perhaps they should form a doubles team.

DA FOREHAND
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:21 PM
She gets no benefit of the doubt because you can't win a point by hitting a fault, and she def. knew she served a fault.

bandabou
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:13 PM
:bigwave:

THAT hand?! Thatīs just a wavey no?!

samn
Jun 26th, 2004, 05:44 PM
She gets no benefit of the doubt because you can't win a point by hitting a fault, and she def. knew she served a fault.

Yes, and she hit a second serve to Venus. What I don't understand is why Venus gets to use the "I was so focussed I lost track of the score" excuse and Sprem doesn't.

jenny161185
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:14 PM
exactly samn they were both toally into the match - you can t come out and call Sprem dishonest and unsportsmanlike - anyone watching BBC1 today will have heard John Mc Enroe saying he doesn t understand how peopl are blaming Sprem and out of anyone its probably her fault the least!

ans
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:56 PM
THAT hand?! Thatīs just a wavey no?!
Really??

bandabou
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Really??

I always thought :bigwave: is a wavey....isnīt it?! :unsure: ;)

ans
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:05 PM
I always thought :bigwave: is a wavey....isnīt it?! :unsure: ;)
Yes, but if you look very closely, you might recognise Justine's face behind it.

spencercarlos
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Exactly i think it was very cheap from her saying "she was not thinking about it and that she was completly into the match"..... Come on they are professionals, not only it was an incorrect score, but also she played one point on her serve in that part of the tiebreak where she should have played 2, and also they played a 2-2 point on the AD side of the court. :rolleyes:
Although i think it was also Venusīs fault as well not being aware of the score as well.
But definetly you are serving and you know.