PDA

View Full Version : Is too big a deal being made about the incorrect score?

jenglisbe
Jun 25th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Yes it was a bad mistake and Sprem got a point she shouldn't have. That's all fact. Still, is that ultimately any different than the bad call that was made in the 1st set that would have given Sprem 2 set points? Is it any different than Serena not getting another 1st serve in the SF of Roland Garros last year?

Umpires and lines people make mistakes all the time because, guess what, they're human!! Most matches have an incorrect call, an incorrect decision, etc. Why is this really any different?

cheesestix
Jun 25th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Yes it was a bad mistake and Sprem got a point she shouldn't have. That's all fact. Still, is that ultimately any different than the bad call that was made in the 1st set that would have given Sprem 2 set points? Is it any different than Serena not getting another 1st serve in the SF of Roland Garros last year?

Umpires and lines people make mistakes all the time because, guess what, they're human!! Most matches have an incorrect call, an incorrect decision, etc. Why is this really any different?

It's not really any different, IMHO. It just diverts attention away from the fact that the heavy favorite was outplayed. The "umpire" was the focus. Had that not happened, we'd be hearing about how badly Venus played. In fact, we're starting to hear that too.

lizchris
Jun 25th, 2004, 03:50 PM
If the umpire was fired from the tournament, then it is a big deal.

bandabou
Jun 25th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, here with you the new Williams-expert: cheesetrix.

bandabou
Jun 25th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Who is making a big deal of it?! It is wimbledon itself who fired the guy. Venus didnīt complain, no one else complained... sho why is mr cheesetrix trying to act funny?!

"Sluggy"
Jun 25th, 2004, 03:59 PM
yes and no. it is a hugely embarrassing error. so it is a big deal in that respect. But one error does not make a tennis match. so to blame the loss on one error is silly.

cheesestix
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Who is making a big deal of it?! It is wimbledon itself who fired the guy. Venus didnīt complain, no one else complained... sho why is mr cheesetrix trying to act funny?!

Who is making about big deal out of it? Gee, I don't know, must've been the 1000+ threads about how Venus got robbed by the umpire?

lizchris
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Who is making about big deal out of it? Gee, I don't know, must've been the 1000+ threads about how Venus got robbed by the umpire?
The tournament did by telling the press they goofed, not this board.:rolleyes:

Princess Fiona
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:08 PM
I really like Venus - I'm sorry she didn't win. It was the first time that I'd really seen Karolina - wow!! I am certainly going to follow her in the future... Anyway... *back on topic*

I feel sorry for Venus (for what happened in the tie-break) and this has also cast a shadow over the biggest win of Karolina's career. People do of course make mistakes though (I know all about mistake making... *blush* ;) ) - I imagine the umpire is feeling awful and embarrassed about what has happened. And Karolina did have the bad call in the first set as has been stated...

<finish post> :)

tennnisfannn
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:41 PM

Umpires and lines people make mistakes all the time because, guess what, they're human!! Most matches have an incorrect call, an incorrect decision, etc. Why is this really any different?That was indeed a tough mistake to make esp in a tie break where every point counts. This wasn't a line call but a point freely given. which means at 7/7 Venus already had the set won. Anything was possible after that. But we will never know but that isn't the point.
And no this isn't similar to the SF at RG last year. This time it was the umpire at fault, at RG the umpire didn't see the hand and justine wasn't honest.

Foot_Fault
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:43 PM
yes and no. it is a hugely embarrassing error. so it is a big deal in that respect. But one error does not make a tennis match. so to blame the loss on one error is silly.
I don't think ANYONE blamed the loss on that error, including Venus, Richard and myself.

Venus had set points in Both sets...It's sport, it happens, just wasn't her year.

Peer101
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:45 PM
The ESPEN people seem like they are going to kill themselves

Foot_Fault
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:46 PM
I really like Venus - I'm sorry she didn't win. It was the first time that I'd really seen Karolina - wow!! I am certainly going to follow her in the future... Anyway... *back on topic*

I feel sorry for Venus (for what happened in the tie-break) and this has also cast a shadow over the biggest win of Karolina's career. People do of course make mistakes though (I know all about mistake making... *blush* ;) ) - I imagine the umpire is feeling awful and embarrassed about what has happened. And Karolina did have the bad call in the first set as has been stated...

<finish post> :)
I respect what you have said. But a Point in a game vs. a point in a Tie-break are totally different and the significance is much greater, thats the big deal.

I feel Venus played as well as she could've, but was to defensive yesterday. and got pretty tight on her opportunities. She was the one with everything to lose yesterday, so she played tighter...but in retrospect, they both played pretty well.

adayinjune
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:14 PM
It is almost like a bad call. Truth is that had it been 3-1 (or whatever) you never know how each player would react psychologically. Truth is that Venus had set points which she lost, If anything she would have had to face a match point anyways

Jericho
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:16 PM

Of course it is different...it was a tiebreaker in which every point is crucial...this wasnt some bad line call...Karolina didnt even have to strike a single ball to earn that point. After a bad line call, players either are mentally bothered or build from it...

Completely different.

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:17 PM

:worship: :worship: :worship:

rwb196
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:26 PM
This wasn't a line call but a point freely given. which means at 7/7 Venus already had the set won. Anything was possible after that.

100% wrong!

The "official" score was 8-6 to Sprem, Williams never made 7 points in the
breaker,the umps earlier mistake did not take a point away from her.

The only honest "what if the ump hadn't screwed up" scenario would have
Sprem leading 7-6 with her serve to come. In other words Williams is 3 points
away from winning the tie-break with Sprem serving at match point.

Who do you make favourite in that scenario?

Seems to me you are as confused as the ump adding non-existent points to
someones score ;)

chris whiteside
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:30 PM
100% wrong!

The "official" score was 8-6 to Sprem, Williams never made 7 points in the
breaker,the umps earlier mistake did not take a point away from her.

The only honest "what if the ump hadn't screwed up" scenario would have
Sprem leading 7-6 with her serve to come. In other words Williams is 3 points
away from winning the tie-break with Sprem serving at match point.

Who do you make favourite in that scenario?

Seems to me you are as confused as the ump adding non-existent points to
someones score ;)

It's all totally hypothetical because the whole course of the tie break would have been different. Another point would have been played before they changed ends as the correct score was 4-1 not 4-2.

Helen Lawson
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:31 PM
You gotta learn how to roll with the punches. I know that Anna Magnani stuffed the Oscar ballots in her favor, I KNOW she did, but a classy dame like me just lets it go. Shit like that happens at the Oscars all the time, and recently also. The world's unfair, and that includes line calls in tennis matches.