PDA

View Full Version : Umpire In Venus/Sprem Match OUT of Wimbledon

lizchris
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Updated: 08:51 AM EDT

Umpire who gave Williams' foe extra point done for tournament

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) - The chair umpire who awarded an extra point to Venus Williams' opponent during her second-round loss at Wimbledon won't work another match during the tournament.
"I have now discussed the incident with the chair umpire concerned, and we have agreed it will be in the best interests of both parties if he takes no further part in the event," tournament referee Alan Mills said Friday.

The umpire's office wouldn't comment.

Ted Watts of Britain mistakenly gave Karolina Sprem a point she didn't earn in the final tiebreaker of Thursday night's 7-6 (5), 7-6 (6) upset of Williams, the 2000-01 Wimbledon champion.

The error made it 2-2 in the tiebreaker. Williams then built a 6-3 edge, but she lost the next five points for her earliest loss at the All England Club since her 1997 debut.

"I'd like to think he didn't do it on purpose," Williams said. "I don't think one call makes a match."

She led the tiebreaker 2-1 when Sprem hit a first serve ruled wide by the line judge, who put her arm out and shouted, "Fault!" Williams casually hit the ball over the net, and Sprem smacked a backhand into the open court. Williams stood still at the baseline, figuring it was time for a second serve.

But Watts announced the score as 2-2, the sort of mistake that occurs every so often but generally is noticed right away by one of the players or another on-court official.

With the players apparently unaware Sprem received a point she shouldn't have, they lined up again in the same positions for what both thought was a second serve. Indeed, Sprem put a safe 86 mph offering in, and Williams laced a backhand return winner. That should have made it 3-1 for Williams, but Watts called it 3-2.

"Unfortunately, the way it happened, Venus didn't query it at the time," Mills said. "They played point after point afterward, and the result, I'm afraid, stands as is."

06/25/04 08:50 EDT

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press

bandabou
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Only logical conclution......and he shouldn´t come back next year either.

DelMonte
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:08 PM
i think that's a fair consequence. i am sure he will be back next year.

sartrista7
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:09 PM
With the players apparently unaware Sprem received a point she shouldn't have, they lined up again in the same positions for what both thought was a second serve.

I think this is key - the reason neither Venus nor Karolina noticed it. The umpire called 2-2 as Karolina was already in her service motion - it's likely neither player even heard him. Even the BBC commentators only noticed the mistake when he called 3-2 instead of 3-1, and by that time the error had been made - that's when both players started to look confused as well.

bandabou
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:11 PM
what a morron!!

*JR*
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Attention WTA, ATP, and ITF: let a replay booth check line challenges, stuff like the hand controversy, AND keep score, you Stone Age morons! :rolleyes:

charmedRic
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Attention WTA, ATP, and ITF: let a replay booth check line challenges, stuff like the hand controversy, AND keep score, you Stone Age morons! :rolleyes:
Amen Brother! :cool:

crazillo
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Good decision.

bandabou
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:18 PM
You pay these guys soooooooo much money and they can´t even get the score right?!

lizchris
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Mistakes by umpire are not that uncommon... They are humans.

It's just that 95% of the time, players notice it so the mistake is corrected right away.
True, but this one was made at a crucial point in the match and because it was Wimbledon made it even worse.

Cariaoke
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:24 PM
I'm with JR.

:banana: I know he's human but that's a big mistake. It's like working at a bank and leaving the vault open. Some things can't be overlooked.

GoDominique
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:26 PM
I think this is key - the reason neither Venus nor Karolina noticed it. The umpire called 2-2 as Karolina was already in her service motion - it's likely neither player even heard him. Even the BBC commentators only noticed the mistake when he called 3-2 instead of 3-1, and by that time the error had been made - that's when both players started to look confused as well.
Yeah, but I don't see how the umpire could call it that way.

I mean, there were about 3 seconds between the first "point" at 2-1 (which he called for Karolina) and the next one, and it was played from the same side.

What a moron. And who is he? I have never seen him before. And I guess I will never see him again LOL. :o

lizchris
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:27 PM
I had to post this article because the title is so funny :haha:

Updated: 09:14 AM EDT
Tennis-Wimbledon-Venus umpire out of championships
By Ossian Shine, Reuters

LONDON, June 25 (Reuters) - The umpire who made a mistake in the decisive tiebreak that ended with Venus Williams's shock exit from Wimbledon on Thursday will officiate no further at this year's tournament.
"I have now discussed the incident with the chair umpire concerned and we have agreed it will be in the best interests of both parties if he takes no further part in the event," Wimbledon referee Alan Mills said on Friday.

British umpire Ted Watts made an error in the second set tiebreak when he awarded Karolina Sprem a point when she faulted on a first serve.

The Croatian went on to win 7-6 7-6 and inflict on Venus her earliest Wimbledon defeat in seven years.

Despite the furore surrounding the official's gaffe, twice Wimbledon champion Williams refused to blame the confusion for her second-round defeat.

"I'd like to think that one point doesn't make a difference," she said. "But obviously it was a wrong call, yes."

Sprem said: "I was confused .. I was like 100 per cent in the match."

Mills acknowledged the mistake soon after the end of the match.

NEITHER QUERIED

"Regrettably the chair umpire made a mistake which ended up with the score being called wrongly," he said.

"Although both players seemed perplexed, neither queried the decision and play continued, resulting in Miss Sprem winning the tiebreak and the match.

"As neither player queried the score with the chair umpire at the time, the result stands as the mistake should have been rectified immediately."

The problem arose when Sprem faulted on her first serve at 2-1 down in the second set tiebreak. Rather than announce a second serve, Watts mistakenly gave the Croatian a point and called the score at 2-2, leaving both players looking perplexed.

After that Williams moved to a 6-3 lead and had three set points to get back into the match. Sprem saved all three and converted her first match point.

Williams said she had not contested the point because she often lost track of the score during matches.

Watts, an experienced umpire, had not been scheduled to officiate on Friday.

06/25/04 09:12 ET

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited.

lizchris
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:28 PM
I'm with JR.

:banana: I know he's human but that's a big mistake. It's like working at a bank and leaving the vault open. Some things can't be overlooked.
It's also like operating on the left leg whne you shoud have operated on the right.

Cariaoke
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:32 PM
It's also like operating on the left leg whne you shoud have operated on the right.
Or giving the wrong baby to a new mother. :(

Ballbuster
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Give him the boot. Why was Venus so unlike herself to take this to a third set?

lizchris
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Or giving the wrong baby to a new mother. :(
Right!

CapFan#1
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Ya, this guy fucked up royally!! I have never seen anything like it. It is very unfortunate.. Sprem did play awesome though, and deserved the win!

bandabou
Jun 25th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Doubt this guy well EVER get another umpiring job....

ghosts
Jun 25th, 2004, 02:59 PM
That was a shocking call :eek:

justine&coria
Jun 25th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Can we have a picture of the Umpire ?? :devil:

Fantastic
Jun 25th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Oh my fucking Christ! You'd think the guy had committed murder or something. Stop overreacting! The fact of the matter is, neither player noticed the error and Venus had a 6-3 lead in the tiebreak anyway. The chair umpire is not working the rest of the tournament and that's an adequate punishment for his mistake.

rada
Jun 25th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Sprem should have said something..........

gweeny
Jun 25th, 2004, 03:16 PM
I am glad that he is out.

I agree that people are humans and we have faults. But I also think, you should be reprimanded if you make a mistake.

Now, I feel sorry for the umpire. :devil:

bbypk
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:06 PM
That umpire is over.. his carrer finished yesterday. His silver "chap" went over.

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Oh my fucking Christ! You'd think the guy had committed murder or something. Stop overreacting! The fact of the matter is, neither player noticed the error and Venus had a 6-3 lead in the tiebreak anyway. The chair umpire is not working the rest of the tournament and that's an adequate punishment for his mistake.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

I guess nobody has EVER made a mistake in their life ??? Why do a lot of people assume Sprem knew about it ? If she knew "for sure"...well...Venus probably knew as well....but she didn't say a word.....

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Sprem should have said something..........

How can *you* assume she knew it ?

So, I'll be *assuming* Venus knew as well...and that she is dumb NOT to have said anything.....:rolleyes:

rhz
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:12 PM
That umpire looks like Damir Dokic

Peer101
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:12 PM
People should just forget about it

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:15 PM
People should just forget about it

:worship: :worship: :worship:

tennisIlove09
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Two things:

1-People won't forget about it because after he gave Karolina the point, he looked over at her and smiled at her. No one knows the for sure, but he sure came across that he wanted her to win.

2-This is a good move by Wimbledon. I still think that had Venus been British, or Tim Henman, the entire tiebreak would have been replayed.

lizchris
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Two things:

1-People won't forget about it because after he gave Karolina the point, he looked over at her and smiled at her. No one knows the for sure, but he sure came across that he wanted her to win.

2-This is a good move by Wimbledon. I still think that had Venus been British, or Tim Henman, the entire tiebreak would have been replayed.
I saw that on last night's news and that bothered me.

I hope he doesn''t umpire any more of Venus' matches at Wimbledon.

miranda_lou
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:32 PM
The chair umpire is not working the rest of the tournament and that's an adequate punishment for his mistake.
Plus, he has been royally embarrassed.:mad: And the world saw how stupid he looked, sitting there smiling like a fool. I really think he realized his mistake and was waiting for one of the women to say something.:rolleyes:

I'm a little annoyed at the many people who think Karolina "should have said something" as if it was all HER fault.:rolleyes: Not just on this board but last night during ESPN's wrap up of the days matches, that stupid Jensen person said "I'm sure Sprem knew because she looked over at her box but decided to not say anything." Well, she looked to her box because she was confused.:confused: Plus, as someone pointed out, if Sprem knew then Venus knew and not saying anything makes Venus a pretty stupid person.:tape:

I just think both girls were so wrapped up in the tiebreak that neither realized what was going on. It's difficult to have a clear head about anything but holding your serve while you're fighting for your life in a tiebreak.

It's really too bad but, to me, the bottom line is, Venus had 3 set points and let them slip away.:rolleyes: (She also had 2 set points in the first set.)

Vincent
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Let's send a Recuit or Job Market to the fired umpire. ;)

nander
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:52 PM
I think that Sprem realised what had happened. I could not help but notice her smirk and that the umpire smile at her after the incident. Were the two things connected?..I don't know. I don't know how one can compare Venus' saying she lost track and Sprem's claim of being unaware..she stood to gain and did while Venus was the loser.
I still say that the match should not have been given to her. She has yet to gain 8 points in the tie-break.
In the long run she may find that this was a very short term victory because this will not be forgotten by the other players and the tennis - watching public.

Knizzle
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:58 PM
About him smiling at Karolina, I think he smiled at both the players. He kinda gave the look like, "Oh no I just fucked up, I hope they don't notice", then he nodded his head to tell them to keep playing. I don't think he meant to give her the point. At least I hope not. That would be triflin. The thought never crossed my mind.

esquímaux
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Sweet! Get that twat outta there! :yeah:

tennisIlove09
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:08 PM
About him smiling at Karolina, I think he smiled at both the players. He kinda gave the look like, "Oh no I just fucked up, I hope they don't notice", then he nodded his head to tell them to keep playing. I don't think he meant to give her the point. At least I hope not. That would be triflin. The thought never crossed my mind.
I didn't see that. I haven't seen the match, because my coverage ended, so I was just viewing it off Sportscenter highlights.

Knizzle
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Also, some on this board are quick to point out that K-Lina's shot on the first point of the tiebreak was on the line and called out, but at 5-2 in the TB Venus hit a shot that appeared to hit the baseline and it was called good by the linesman and then overruled by the chair umpire.

Knizzle
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:21 PM
I just watched the TB again. At the time it happened I was like whatever, but now it's really painful to watch. To see a mistake like that happen is just excruciating.