PDA

View Full Version : Capriati almost sets new record during interview

controlfreak
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:29 AM
From GoTennis.com:

The transcripts of the post-match player interviews at Wimbledon expose the verbal tics of even the most loquacious player.

Every "Um" and every "Er" is faithfully recorded verbatim by stenographers.

Even so, Jennifer Capriati must have set some king of record in her interview after her first-round win on Thursday.

The transcript showed that the American player used the phrase "you know" 38 times in an interview that lasted barely 10 minutes.

This puts Capriati second only to David Beckham, who once managed to say "you know" 62 times in a one-minute post-match interview. :tape:

Glenn
Jun 25th, 2004, 12:00 PM
From GoTennis.com:

This puts Capriati second only to David Beckham, who once managed to say "you know" 62 times in a one-minute post-match interview. :tape:
OK that's not possible.
Beckham would have to say more than 1 "you know" every second.

fifiricci
Jun 25th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Well, um, you know Kim Clijisters? She's, um you know, that ace player from Belgium. You know, I'm really amazed that Capriati, you know, managed to use more, um "you knows" per sentence than, um you know Kimmy.

samn
Jun 25th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Well, um, you know Kim Clijisters? She's, um you know, that ace player from Belgium. You know, I'm really amazed that Capriati, you know, managed to use more, um "you knows" per sentence than, um you know Kimmy.

Well, at least Clijsters has the excuse that she isn't a native speaker of English.

JennyS
Jun 25th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Well, at least Clijsters has the excuse that she isn't a native speaker of English.

Have you, ever, like, you know, listened to NBA, NFL, MLB or NHL players' press conferences. I've heard, some of those, you know, players, um, like you know, say you know, more often than, you know, Jen.

I think that players tend to say you know because they're trying to, you know, come up with something to say, and, they need some filler while they are trying to come with, you know, what they want to, you know, say.

Does anyone else remember the show called "It's Like, You Know," starring Jennifer Grey. Too bad Jen Cap never appeared on it.

Chunchun
Jun 25th, 2004, 12:48 PM
also LenaD say a lot "you know" while she speaks english :)

samn
Jun 25th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Have you, ever, like, you know, listened to NBA, NFL, MLB or NHL players' press conferences. I've heard, some of those, you know, players, um, like you know, say you know, more often than, you know, Jen.

I think that players tend to say you know because they're trying to, you know, come up with something to say, and, they need some filler while they are trying to come with, you know, what they want to, you know, say.

Does anyone else remember the show called "It's Like, You Know," starring Jennifer Grey. Too bad Jen Cap never appeared on it.

If it makes Jen feel any better, Lleyton Hewitt and Mark Philippoussis are just as bad when it comes to gratuitous usage of "you know", "like", and "I mean".

Leo_DFP
Jun 25th, 2004, 12:53 PM
No. We deciphered on MTF that Federer said over 90 "you know's" in his interview after winning Wimbledon last year. It was ridiculous. How can anyone speak like that? Anyway, I encourage you all to look up the fabulous interview on wimbledon.org.

pav
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Cappy! :help: Bring back the Biff!

mn73
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:39 PM
I think it is probably complete boredom at doing the one-millionth post match interview of your career and wanting to get home and have some lunch!

faboozadoo15
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:51 PM
No. We deciphered on MTF that Federer said over 90 "you know's" in his interview after winning Wimbledon last year. It was ridiculous. How can anyone speak like that? Anyway, I encourage you all to look up the fabulous interview on wimbledon.org.
aren't you a ferrero fan :tape:
anyway, he does say "you know" a lot, but comparing the interview you give after winning your first grandslam (which is a significantly longer interview-- tell me if i'm wrong) to just any other interview is a little unfair. players know that so much of what the say will be written about and their minds are all over the place.
but yea, he should tone down the "you know's" and monica needs to stop saying "oh, definitely"