PDA

View Full Version : I have to wonder...

Hots4Safin
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:29 AM
If the chair umpire awarded Serena's opponent an extra point, would SHE have noticed? The answer is an obvious yes. I'm sorry, I love Venus and wanted her to win so badly, but come on...a champion knows the score in the second set tiebreak after losing the first set. This is definitely what has separated the two in the last 2 years, Venus has become complacent. I understand that she's matured alot since her days of arguing line calls, but COME ON - you're facing elimination in the second round of Wimbledon (your favorite slam, the chair awards your opponent a COMPLIMENTARY POINT, and you say NOTHING? NO EXCUSE - get your head in the game girl!

VW#1
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Like Venus said it's so easy from the stands.

Jericho
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Please...Serena switched sides too early against Dokic during a tiebreak b/c she was so focused...and thats not a diss, but it was pretty funny :lol: even Serena laughed.

When Venus is focused, she is really focused...example: Venus missing her chair and fallin on her butt during a changeover against i forgot :lol:

Kabezya
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:15 AM
If it hasn't been mentioned before or if it's a fact that is forgotten, Venus and Serena are two individuals. Comparing the two, their temperment and or trying to guess what either would do is useless and unfair to both players.

Every mistake, whether it be great or minor, has a halfway moment, a split second when it can be recalled and perhaps remedied. It was not remedied here by either of the two players or the umpire. Only in your imagination can you revise, and I'm rather impressed that Venus has decided to leave that realm of regret and move on to the next tournament which is the only thing she has control over.

chris whiteside
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:23 AM
I'm rather impressed that Venus has decided to leave that realm of regret and move on to the next tournament which is the only thing she has control over.

Yes, her tennis is not as good as it used to be but she will have won many new fans for her gracious and realistic post match attitude to this horrible incident.

samn
Jun 25th, 2004, 09:41 AM
If the chair umpire awarded Serena's opponent an extra point, would SHE have noticed? The answer is an obvious yes. I'm sorry, I love Venus and wanted her to win so badly, but come on...a champion knows the score in the second set tiebreak after losing the first set. This is definitely what has separated the two in the last 2 years, Venus has become complacent. I understand that she's matured alot since her days of arguing line calls, but COME ON - you're facing elimination in the second round of Wimbledon (your favorite slam, the chair awards your opponent a COMPLIMENTARY POINT, and you say NOTHING? NO EXCUSE - get your head in the game girl!

Actually, I understand what Venus said about being so focussed on the next point that she kind of lost track of the score. It happens to everyone. Case in point: 1993 Virginia Slims Championship final, Graf v. Sanchez-Vicario. There was one game where the score was 30-30 (I think), and Graf lost the next point to go down 40-30. I don't know what was going through her mind at the time, but she forgot what the score had been, and walked back to her chair assuming that she had lost the game. The umpire had to then remind her that the game wasn't over, and with the spectators all laughing, and Arantxa looking very amused, Graf walked back on court with a sheepish grin on her face. And mind you, this was in 1993, when Graf had already been a professional for more than 10 years!

lilly
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Isn't one of the reasons the umpire is there so the players don't have to focus on the score but instead on their game?

Truthwillout
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Isn't one of the reasons the umpire is there so the players don't have to focus on the score but instead on their game?

:) :)

cool bird
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:21 AM
I do think that it is all said and done now. But the umpire should not been seen at this champ agin

Hots4Safin
Jun 26th, 2004, 01:24 AM
I dunno....I guess people focus differently, but I ALWAYS know the score.

And i'm quite aware that Serena and Venus are two different people...it just pisses me off when I see Venus being complacent about loses. I know they have different minds and different attitudes and BLAH BLAH BLAH, but what it comes down to is, venus is NOT the same "I'LL CRUSH ANYONE IN MY WAY" player that she once was. B/c when Serena loses, you KNOW she's pissed and i want them BOTH to have that desire, not just Serena.