PDA

View Full Version : Will Venus' Early Exit Cause Her To Lose Olympic Spot?

VW#1
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:05 AM
It was obvious, at least to me, that the decision not to go by the WTA ranking was a way for Zina to justifiably pick the Williams Sisters in the singles competition if their rankings were not up to par by the time selections had to be made. Well now we know they will not be the top two Americans in the rankings when it's time for selections. Do you think Venus and Serena for that matter will be selected to play singles? I think they will for 3 reasons.

1. Venus is the defeneding champion

2. They are the best bet to win the doubles, even not having played in over a year

3. Serena will apply the same pressure that Venus did back in 2000, if it looks like they will pick one sister and not the other

Volcana
Jun 25th, 2004, 07:26 AM
1) Who's eligible?

2) Who's willing?

3) How are things in Iraq?

VENUS may decide not to go, depending on how she assesses things post-Wimbledon. Chanda's health is always an issue. Lindsay just got married. If her husband is truly concerned, what will she do? Is Jenn eligible? I expect Nav and Lisa will agree no matter what. But who the other for are has a lot of varaibles to it.

Four out of Venus, Serena, Chanda, Lindsay, Jenn, Meghann. One of which is a doubles team. Who's to say four of them wat to risk it. Ashley Harkelroad, Amy Frazier or Laura Granville may wind up going. The year of all years, how can you tell?

One car bomb in a food delivery truck could kill half the top twenty. This isn't a difficult security problem, it's an IMPOSSIBLE security problem.

I think that's bigger deal than the criteria for picking the team.

mn73
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:07 AM
They ought to go by the rankings including the Williams injury rankings, and on June 14 Venus still had an injury ranking of 3. She certainly hasn't got as much form as Lindsay or Jen, but Chanda is struggling with injuries too. I don't think Lindsay or Jen are that bothered, having won the Gold Medal before. I really think Venus ought to concentrate on the US Open as a previous winner of Gold as well and let others go.