PDA

View Full Version : Mary did not win 2-6 5-7

Mark Spruce
Jun 24th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Mary I think had trouble with her hand. As it was strapped up a few times, this happened right at the beginning of the match.

it was the right had (not good for serve)

The pics up on my site show the hand :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

But Mary showed guts not to give up at the end of the first set. She fought all of the way.

Best luck next time Mary. Let's go and win the doubles !!

regards

Mark

Tompier
Jun 24th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Mary :sad: I can't believe

sebbe
Jun 24th, 2004, 04:36 PM
I am quite irritated about this. I wonder what the hell she did
out there on the court today. I saw the match and she moved
slower then ever. It didn't even seams like she wanted to
be out there. I thought after that win last week that she really
had a great spot this week.
But it is sad to see. I really wonder what went through her
mind during that match.
It looked like she didn't try to move faster and hit some good shots,
she didn't have to play good to win, just a little bit better cuz Virginia
should not be a threat to Mary's power.
I'm curious in what is going to
happend after this tournament.

ali
Jun 24th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Mark - like I said elsewhere, I'm sorry to say Mary didn't really fight for the match at all. She was in a foul mood, grumbling to herself and shaking her head constantly. She wasn't moving at all and whenever it looked like she was getting back into the match, she would just hit unforced errors.

It was really disappointing to see - the commentators couldn't believe her attitude either. I just can't understand it :confused: As for the injury, it was a big blister on her right hand and although it must have hindered her, it was the mood she was in that brought the defeat. I can honestly say, I've never seen Mary play as badly and I agree Sebbe, it looked like she just didn't want to be there at all.

She did seem to be coughing quite a bit so maybe she has a slight cold, guess we'll have to wait for the interview.

Sebbe - what do you think will happen after this tournament? I hope you're not thinking the "R" word :eek:

remyremy
Jun 24th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Mary's behaviour was :sad: :eek: :sad: :eek: :sad: :eek:
Just before the interruption, Mary was on her chair, looking at her coach and saying some bad things like "stupid" etc... I know sometimes Mary is furious about her game, but this time, I'm not sure it was her game she was talking about. :confused: :confused: :confused: I hope there will be a press conference to understand what happened.

sebbe
Jun 24th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Mark
Sebbe - what do you think will happen after this tournament? I hope you're not thinking the "R" word :eek:

No i don't think about the R word at all, just wondering if she
takes some time of or if she play any of the next tournaments.
I think that she should try and loose some weight again, she has gained
some weight during the spring. She was very athletic in Paris in february.
And now she is moving that bad again like she did last year at this time.
As I said, very interesting to fallow Mary this summer.

MissTennisFan
Jun 24th, 2004, 06:26 PM
An umbrella rib caused Mary's hand inury. No wonder she was so dejected.

Scotso
Jun 24th, 2004, 07:00 PM
:rolleyes:

Mark Spruce
Jun 24th, 2004, 07:01 PM
An umbrella rib caused Mary's hand inury. No wonder she was so dejected.
When did this happen ???? Oh that was such a shame Mary was not in the right mood.

regards

Mark

MissTennisFan
Jun 24th, 2004, 07:06 PM
When did this happen ????
Yesterday according to the FFT site; Mary was trying to put down her umbrella, and I guess she must have cut her thumb or something... It's just really unfortunate. Poor Mary!

ali
Jun 24th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the info MissTennisFan.

Mary really has some silly injuries doesn't she? Didn't she hit herself on the leg this year too? Poor Mary, maybe that's why she was in such a bad mood :(

remyremy - I saw her grumbling at the change overs quite a bit too. She was looking at her coach but I don't know whether she was calling herself stupid or him! :eek: She also kept saying "this is ridiculous" - probably talking about her fight with the brolly earlier! ;)

Sorry, had to make a joke otherwise I might cry!

Has anyone heard/read an interview from Mary yet about this match?

remyremy
Jun 24th, 2004, 08:32 PM
I hope that after her wonderful title in s'hertogenbosch, Mary won't feel again the "post RG 2000 syndrome". You know what I mean :tape: :tape: :tape: (kind of : "now that I've prooved that I can be back, what else could I do...) :sad:

Mark Spruce
Jun 24th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Yesterday according to the FFT site; Mary was trying to put down her umbrella, and I guess she must have cut her thumb or something... It's just really unfortunate. Poor Mary!
Thanks for that.

Mary is so unlucky !

I hope that she will be OK soon again.

GET BETTER SOON !!!!!!!!!!!

regards

Mark

MissTennisFan
Jun 24th, 2004, 08:55 PM
I hope that after her wonderful title in s'hertogenbosch, Mary won't feel again the "post RG 2000 syndrome". You know what I mean :tape: :tape: :tape: (kind of : "now that I've prooved that I can be back, what else could I do...) :sad:
I really doubt it, sure last week's title was an awesome achievement, but it's hardly the first time Mary wins a tier III event, I really don't see it having that kind of effect on her. There is very little doubt in my mind that Mary's ultimate objective is the majors, that's where she really wants to do well... it just didn't happen today because of an unfortunate -- and highly unusual -- set of circumstances.

ashwu
Jun 24th, 2004, 08:55 PM
:crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2:
when the other three winners of last week all lost their game on tuesday, i was really worried about mary... i can't believe she lost her game like that
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Mark Spruce
Jun 24th, 2004, 09:14 PM
I know that it is so hard to play with blisters on your hand. I have done it and it is very irratating and painful.

Well especially when you are trying to serve.

I hope that Mary will still be playing doubles.

Mark

Declan
Jun 24th, 2004, 10:03 PM
I had to leave for work as the match started, and I could have seen it on the television otherwise. The weather was absolutely foul, and I actually drove through the outskirts of Wimbledon while Mary was on court and wonderd how she was coping, as it was unbelievably windy and we know how precise and disgruntled she can get when things aren't going her way. Which they presumably didn't, with the niggling injury to contend with as well. I'm not too disappointed, for once. As someone pointed out the other day, Mary made up most of her Wimbledon points from last year in Holland, so won't slip down too many places in the rankings, and if you'd given me the choice two weeks ago of average placings in both grass court tournaments for Mary this year or a win in Holland and a first round loss here, that is what I would have chosen. Mary winning her first-ever tournament on grass, and her first title for 4 years is going to be a better spring-board for the rest of her career than another round of 16 spot here.

ali
Jun 24th, 2004, 10:08 PM
I've just heard from a friend who was at the match. He said that Mary was shaking her head at her coach throughout the match and getting really annoyed with him. Apparently she was saying things like "I can't play", "I shouldn't even be out here, this is embarassing", "this is stupid, I can't play" and would stare at him whenever he tried to encourage her.

At most of the change of ends she was saying to him that it was ridiculous and shaking her head. My friend said that at the final change of ends, she was still saying "this is stupid, this is ridiculous" and then said "I should never have hired you" :eek: :eek: :eek:

He said that everyone near the front of the court could hear.

Also, after the rain stopped, Mary again kept Ruana P waiting for about 10 minutes (as she had at the start of the match) and the crowd booed her when she came back.

Sounds like Mary didn't want to even start the match because of the injury and this led to her bad mood. That might also explain why she took so long to get to the court at the start.

Poor Mary :sad:

Declan
Jun 24th, 2004, 10:13 PM
The Wimbledon crowd are pathetic and will boo absolutely anything.
Like Chanda the other day, I really don't know why players play if they aren't fit enough to make a fight of it. Maybe Mary should have scratched and given Virginia a walk-over.

ali
Jun 24th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Like Chanda the other day, I really don't know why players play if they aren't fit enough to make a fight of it. Maybe Mary should have scratched and given Virginia a walk-over.
From what my friend said about what he heard, and the way Mary played the match, it sounds like she wanted to withdraw but her coach convinced her to play.

Declan
Jun 24th, 2004, 11:19 PM
From what my friend said about what he heard, and the way Mary played the match, it sounds like she wanted to withdraw but her coach convinced her to play.

Poor Mary indeed. And of course the Wimbledon website hasn't bothered interviewing Mary so maybe we'll never find out..............

sebbe
Jun 25th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Not fun to hear all that about the match.
But I mean, she must have the courage to take her own
desicions. I mean if she didn't want to play and she felt that
it were going to be a disaster even before the match.
I then can't believe why she even bothered to play the match.
And I hope that what she said about Sven just was something
she said in that moment, that she didn't mean it. It would be terrible
if they aren't friends anymore.
But I have noticed these last weeks that Mary hasn't smiled as much
as she use to, as if she was sad or something.
So now I really hope that she can have a great time with her brother.

Scotso
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:00 AM
lets hope she does well in doubles.

polishprodigy
Jun 25th, 2004, 03:47 AM
:rolleyes:

Mark Spruce
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Sebbe-- Mary is no longer coached by Sven now and definatley not at Wimbledon.

Ali--I think that it would have been better if all true, that Mary should not have played. It might have made the injury worse.

I hope that David will return soon and help our Mary to be happy and smile again. I do not like it when she is sad.

regards

Mark

TO MARY--Mary please do not give up we are all here to support you. Take heart in that we will never stop supporting you.

MissTennisFan
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:31 AM
Poor Mary, the whole thing must have been so upsetting...

ashwu
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:15 AM
i think she sould play since she could made a 5:7 in the second set. she's just too scared after all the injures she's been through...
she will play doubles today... don't know if she will withdraw...

mamno_MARYFAN
Jun 25th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Oh dear....this is quite disappointing....Mary lost.... :sad:

But I hope that Mary can take heart that at least she played some great tennis before Wimbledon...a first title on grass for Mary...I say not bad at all.... ;)

As for her injury...aaaaahhhh!!!!! :mad: ....she always have injuries at the wrong times.... :mad:

Hmm....I just hope that Mary wouldn't be quite disheartened about this loss and towards her coach....such kinds of negative feelings would be the last things she need in the world rite now...I'm sure Mary's coach is doing his best for Mary...knowing how unpredictable Mary is.... :rolleyes:

But its a little bit odd for Mary to be really grumpy....very, very uncharacteristic of my queen... :sad:

Anyway...rest well Mary...good luck for the rest of the season!!!! :angel:

Go Mary!!!!!! :bounce:

MPStylee
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:14 PM
:wavey: I was so sad that she lost but I just thought it must be worse for her so I think we should just continue to support her!!!

Mark Spruce
Jun 25th, 2004, 01:32 PM
:wavey: I was so sad that she lost but I just thought it must be worse for her so I think we should just continue to support her!!!
Totally agree with you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards

Mark