PDA

View Full Version : Saved by the rain?

ali
Jun 24th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Mary was losing her first round match 6-2, 6-5 with Ruana serving for the match at 30-0 when the rain came again and they were forced off court.

I have to say, I think its the worst match I've ever seen Mary play. She looked annoyed, miserable, bored, irritable and like she couldn't be bothered throughout the entire match. The commentators were really having a go at Mary for her attitude, calling it a disgrace. I can't understand it at all. I've never seen her look so disinterested, shaking her head (even if she hit a winner) after every point, grumbling out loud to herself. She wasn't even bouncing the balls between serves, just hitting them without much thought - like she couldn't be bothered.

She kept Ruana waiting on court for 15 minutes before she turned up, then just looked utterly miserable with herself all the way through. She called for the trainer to treat a pretty nasty looking blister on her hand, but I don't think that was the reason for her poor play. She was just awful today and looked like she would have rather been anywhere else in the world than on that court playing tennis.

Now I know you'll all be mad with me for saying this because we all love Mary and want to see her do well, but I'm just reporting what I've been watching and what all the commentators were saying. I'm hoping that she will have chance to speak to her coach now its raining and will get herself out of her grumpy mood. But Ruana only needs two more points to win and if Mary comes back out with the same attitude, it'll be over very quickly.

I'm so disappointed in her today.

remyremy
Jun 24th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Hi Ali ! I'm not mad at you at all. You really say everything happened in this match. Maybe the injurie at her right thumb is more important than you think but... I agree : you don't need a thumd to move your legs ! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: And everytime mary play quite well, she's really better than Virginia. Come on MAry You're so close in this 2nd set. We'll see if her current coach is great and could help her during the pause.

ali
Jun 24th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Thanks remyremy :)

Her thumb might be part of the problem, but more the way it is effecting her attitude than her play. She gets like that sometimes (usually about her eyes), where it looks like she can't concentrate on anything other than her discomfort.

But she wasn't even running for points, was hitting so many wild returns of serve and when she was broken at 5-5 in the second set, hit possibly the worst forehand I've ever seen. I'm so upset right now and just can't understand what the problem is.

C'mon Craig - give her a kick up the bum during the rain break and tell her to fight!!