PDA

View Full Version : Here is a scary stat for you...

tenn_ace
Jun 20th, 2004, 01:32 AM
first, sorry for posting it as a separate thread. I have said before that I'm worried about Sveta playing a lot. Here is how number of matches she has played since the beginning of the year:

SUNGLES 45 (34-11 record)

DOUBLES 38 (31-7 record)
-----------------
Total 83

Just for you to compare this record with something: Kim played 102 singles matches and 51 doubles matches. Total 153.

So Sveta is right on track to repeat what Kim did last year. We all know what happened to Kim after that. (this year)

I hope Sveta's team realizes it and is careful about pushing Sveta.

Any idea about Sveta's schedule for the rest of the year?

goldenlox
Jun 20th, 2004, 02:05 AM
When I saw Sveta's thigh wrapped in the Warsaw final, and then she played Berlin with no bye, and doubles. And then Rome, I thought it was crazy.
But the coaches want money, like the agents, and the parents.
So we have to hope Sveta stays healthy. Because everyone around her wants her to paid right now.

TartarVicario
Jun 20th, 2004, 07:18 AM
I hope she will not play doubles when her game is full developed :sad: :)

Vass22
Jun 20th, 2004, 12:44 PM
I hope she will not play doubles when her game is full developed :sad: :)
It will be tough to resist! Very tough.

I hope that she's fit enough and young enough to avoid injuries.

tenn_ace
Jun 20th, 2004, 02:08 PM
I hope she will not play doubles when her game is full developed
I hope she'll stop playing doubles (maybe with exception of US Open and LA Year End Championship) after Olympics. NO MORE DOUBLES. PERIOD.

I hope that she's fit enough and young enough to avoid injuries.
Kim is/was very fit too. It's still wear and tear no matter how fit a player is.

Daniel
Jun 20th, 2004, 03:19 PM
no more doubles could mean an improvement in her singles results :D :D

tenn_ace
Jun 20th, 2004, 03:27 PM
she would be definitely more focused.

fresh2flash
Jun 20th, 2004, 04:30 PM
She'll play doubles at least till Olympics.

tenn_ace
Jun 20th, 2004, 05:09 PM
She'll play doubles at least till Olympics.
I hope so!

Does anyone know her schedule in North America? Is she even coming here before the Olympics?

ys
Jun 20th, 2004, 05:46 PM
She is overplaying but the stat is not as scary. She won't be even close to matching Clijsters's 102 singles matches, and that is the number that really matters.

I am not really worried about her potential physical problems. She is strong girl. I am more afraid of a real possibility of a Dokic-like burnout.

tenn_ace
Jun 20th, 2004, 05:55 PM
she'll play Wimbledon (4 matches at least, I hope), Athens singles (3 matches at least, I hope), US Open (4 matches at least, I hope), so it's right there 11 matches. It's too early to say, but she's close to qualifying for YE Championship (especially that Henin and Clijsters will not play until after the US Open), so it's another 3 matches at least (RR). It makes it 14. That would bring total number of matches to 59. I'd be surprised if she is not chosen to play Argentina FedCup singles as Russian #3 (and Lena D. having troubles with Fartichev) and one of the best on clay. That's another 2 matches.

BTW, Kim is also physically strong.

*JR*
Jun 20th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Besides Kim's injury, the "less specific" Dokic Disaster may be partly due to ovaplay. And re. too many Doubles Draws, 2 more examples: Meghann Shaughnessy and Katarina Srebotnik.

ys
Jun 20th, 2004, 06:53 PM
BTW, Kim is also physically strong.
So? Kim had that chronic wrist injury for years. Chasing that elusive #1 rankings she was overplaying and the recurrence of that injury was inevitable. At this point Sveta has no chronic injuries. Hopefully she'll never get one.

Besides, the way Kim plays is extreme in terms of movements, all her retrievals and splits are obvious pushing beyond the limits. Danger of injury is written all over that style - so by playing a lot she is simply increasing the probability of that injury. Mind, you she played through Australian Open with ankle injury, not wrist injury.

Sveta plays very economical tennis. She is very good at saving energy, pretty much Kafelnikov-like. And if anything Zhenya was overplaying big time all his career and never ever got any kind of tennis-related injury that would have taken him off Tour for more than a couple of weeks. Yeah, he had a couple of back problems ( which could well be attributed to him playing too much golf rather )..

I tell you, I am not afraid that she could be physically fragile. She is trong like an ox. I am afraid of burnout.

tenn_ace
Jun 21st, 2004, 04:14 AM
So? Kim had that chronic wrist injury for years. Chasing that elusive #1 rankings she was overplaying and the recurrence of that injury was inevitable. At this point Sveta has no chronic injuries. Hopefully she'll never get one.

actually Sveta has a problem with thigh every now and then... It hasn't been bad yet to take time off, but what do we know? could we call it recurring?

tenn_ace
Jul 11th, 2004, 12:35 AM
is it still too early to talk about Sveta being tired?... I don't know whether it's mental or physical, but she's a lot below her par...

Derek.
Jul 11th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Well Wimbledon was a disappointment and so was 1st singles match of Fed Cup so who knows.. :o

tenn_ace
Jul 11th, 2004, 04:39 AM
she might be still off after that loss to Nastya at the FO. who knows what she could do there if she won that match. I'm sure Sveta thinks she could have won the whole thing. That's depressing.

goldenlox
Jul 11th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Sveta was serving at 4-5 in the third. And was broken. Same thing happened at Wimbledon.
I think Sveta's issues are mental.