PDA

View Full Version : Jade Hopper Cheering Thread.

SpikeyAidanm
Jun 15th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Good luck with your career Jade :) :)

http://www.abc.net.au/austory/img2002/20021601.jpg

:)

SpikeyAidanm
Jun 15th, 2004, 10:19 AM
awww, young Jade :angel:

http://members.tripod.com/~AmandaCoetzer/withjade.jpg

louloubelle
Oct 1st, 2006, 02:57 AM
I stumbled across this one. BUMP!!!!!!!!!

I think her dad has parole at the end of this year, two years and three months from June 2004 or thereabouts. Wonder if he'll go back coaching her. Id expect yes.

Big things were planned for Jade at the age of 8 or so. She was on the court hours on end practicing which put her dad in hot water. Tho her junior and satelitte results have not been spectacular wonder how long she'll keep at it.

aussie_stars
Oct 1st, 2006, 06:30 AM
Yea i remember watching her on Australian Story or something like that a few yrs back.

So much pressure would have been on her. I hope for her sake, she can do something really good.

louloubelle
Oct 1st, 2006, 07:25 AM
Yes I remember that. She was seen practicing with the likes of Amanda Coetzer and Monica Seles when her dad was coaching them. Everyone was predicting big things for her.

Her dad said that even tho she was practicing for hours on end, he wasn't forcing her to do it. She wanted to be a champion.

When I last saw her, she wasn't a big strong girl. Wonder if that is what is holding her back.

Not in quallies for Traralgon. Maybe didn't enter or didn't have the results to get a place.

FrankWo
Oct 1st, 2006, 10:35 AM
AO-1999 with A. Coetzer ..., ... with greetings, FrankWo.

OZTENNIS
Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:47 AM
i heard a rumour that the hopper's are moving to the sunshine coast when jade's father gets parole...interesting 2 c what happens

tiger123
Nov 1st, 2006, 06:39 AM
i heard a rumour that the hopper's are moving to the sunshine coast when jade's father gets parole...interesting 2 c what happens

BREAKING NEWS: Gavin Hopper was released from Jail yesterday morning!!!
He is apparently negotiating with Channel 7 (Today Tonight) and various other media outlets for an exclusive interview. As criminals cant profit from their story, he has said - through his wife Karen - that he will put the money in a trust fund for his daughters - Jade, 15 & Sky 11 - tennis careers.
Apparently with all the Legal fees and loss of income the Hopper family has been hit pretty bad. His wife was forced to sell their luzury Gold Coast home The Police also seized most of his assests including Cars, etc...But the rumour is true the Hoppers are moving back to the sunshine coast and Gavin will resume in helping Jade & Sky with their Tennis.

aussie_stars
Nov 1st, 2006, 09:20 AM
Yes I read that in the paper also

It'll be interesting to see what impact this will have on Jade.

aussy89
Nov 25th, 2006, 03:19 AM
today there was a article on the family in the west aussy,sydney morning herald. this is from the smh

Long-distance relationships don't come much tougher than when your tennis coach - and father - is serving time in prison, writes Jessica Halloran.

JADE Hopper skipped around Queensland's Hope Island tennis courts, hitting her shots as photographs were taken of her every move. Thirty pictures of the teenage prodigy would then be printed off and bundled into an envelope addressed to Langi Kal Kal prison.

On his prison bed, Gavin Hopper would scatter the photographs of his daughter swinging her racquet. Hopper would piece together her forehand, study it and pick out the tiny flaws in her motion. He'd then scrawl instructions on sheets of paper and mail them from the prison near Ballarat back to the family home at Hope Island. There Jade would sit in her Gold Coast bedroom and read her dad's words.

During the past 2½ years Hopper coached his talented daughter like this. Hopper's "special girl" was destined for grand slam brilliance and this was the only way to keep the dream alive.

Once every fortnight Jade would receive these tennis tomes, as her father served time for indecent assault committed against a 14-year-old schoolgirl when he was a teacher at Wesley College in Melbourne.

On the pages of foolscap there were new programs. Up to 10 different drills, meticulously detailed. There were hundreds of words to keep her teenage limbs strong.

"There were pages," Hopper said. "I had time to write."

Every day, sometimes twice, he'd talk to Jade on the telephone, mostly about tennis. When he went away she penned letters to her dad every day. "That was the only way we could hold on to it," Hopper said. "Jade was in this critical area."

In prison there were two particularly precious coaching moments for Hopper. In October 2005 and February this year Hopper was allowed to watch a three-hour video of Jade thumping tennis balls. It was filmed by her younger sister, 11-year-old Skye, who also took the photographs.

"I was just hitting, serving, volleys, serves, cross-courts, just anything," Jade said. "Skye would just stand there and video the entire session."

Hopper was allowed out of the cell he shared with other prisoners to sit in privacy in a separate room at Langi Kal Kal to watch the tape. "It was pretty exciting," Hopper said. "When I was getting the sheets, I thought, 'Her stroke production looks OK'. But [with] still shots you can't see the flow of the shot and how things are happening."

During the 27 months he spent inside, Hopper had never been so separated from a tennis court and his daughters. He was used to coaching Jade for six hours a day, telling her when to drink her protein shakes and helping her with her home schooling.

For the preceding 13 years, Hopper had been there for almost every moment of Jade's life. There when she started training as a three-year-old. There when, as a seven-year-old, she played tennis against Elton John in an exhibition match in Atlanta.

There on a main street of Ankara, in front of thousands and the Turkish prime minister, as a 12-year-old Jade hit tennis balls. Jade making the crowd love her with her blonde hair, blue eyes and talent of striking 10 tin cans in a row with a tennis ball.

He was there when Jade won her first tournaments on country tennis courts and pumped her tiny fist in celebration.

Jade befriended Hopper's tennis pupils like Anna Kournikova and Monica Seles. "I got my grunt from Monica," Jade said.

They travelled around the world something like 60 times together as he guided the careers of Mark Philippoussis, Amanda Coetzer, Kournikova, and Seles.

They spent every day with each other. He was her best friend. Then he was gone.

At times this was incomprehensible for Jade, then 13. When he left her first thoughts were, "What do I do?". Out in the heat on the mint green tennis court at their Hope Island home, her spirits sunk. She'd sometimes hold the racquet limply in her small, callused hands. "It was a shock," Jade said. "If something didn't feel quite right, I sort of, had to fix it myself."

She'd never had to do that before.

Phone calls from her dad in prison were confusing at the start. It was hard to articulate the trouble she was having with a particular backhand or a volley. It was hard to explain what it felt like. During one tournament she unzipped her tennis bag to find she'd forgotten to have her racquets re-strung. Her dad always did that.

The first time she was guided by someone other than her father it ended in tears. Confusion swallowed her up when she attended her first training session with a Tennis Australia coach. The new coach tried to get her to change her grip and other little things. The tiny girl burst with frustration.

Jade admits she is tough to coach.

"I know what I want and I know my game very well," Jade said. "The only other person that knows my game very well is dad."

Hopper added: "Jade is probably the easiest-going girl you know; tennis-wise she knows what she wants, so she's not the easiest person to coach."

The Hoppers were not ungrateful for Tennis Australia's assistance, it just didn't fit into their program.

"Tennis Australia were terrific with assistance," Hopper said. "However, the one thing that Jade needed most was the six-hour a day program. She knew that every day she wasn't going to get six hours of training. That's why I had to send her to America."

He sent her to his old friend Fritz Nau. He coached just like dad. Nau once headed Nick Bollettieri's famed tennis academy and had mentored all the "young guns" such as Kournikova, Seles, Tommy Haas, Andre Agassi and Jim Courier.

Nau had beaten cancer and wrote to Hopper in prison, some "beautiful emails", about getting through tough times. Hopper knew Nau was the right man for his daughter. Jade relished those months in America.

"It was just like having dad again," Jade said. "Fritz is an amazing guy, he's just the nicest, coolest guy ever."

But now Hopper is back. On the night of October 30 at 9 o'clock, he walked back into his family home and embraced his family, wife Karen and his girls, Jade, now 15, and Skye, 11.

"Can we go on the court tonight," Jade asked, giddy with excitement. "No," Hopper said. They'd wait for the first light of the morning.

When the Herald visited the family's home this week the girls were clearly relishing having their dad there. Karen, who has stuck by Hopper and cared for the girls, did not want to be interviewed for this article.

Hopper watched Jade on court as she practised with Skye. "She's hitting the ball fantastic," he said. "It's world class, she's back into hitting. Just sweetness on the racquet."

As they practised in the sticky heat, Skye and her dad took on Jade together. A cheeky Skye shouted: "Hey, get over your side, Dad." Skye giggled her way through the practice and Hopper said she holds great promise, like Jade.

Jade was focused and intense, but was also clearly having fun.

Hopper shouted encouraging phrases like: "C'mon, rip … c'mon, rip."

"The harder the better."

"Beautiful shot. Keep digging."

Skye took a rest in the shade and watched her determined family hit on. She then mischievously quipped about her dad's tanned skin. "I can't believe it," she said. "He doesn't go outside for 2½ years and he's got a tan."

Hopper also didn't bother cutting his blonde locks on the inside and now wears a ponytail which trails down the middle of his back. His arms are like two blocks of caramel muscle. He had plenty of time to exercise.

When Jade took her turn to rest in the shade, she reflected on the bad times. To the pop of tennis balls being struck, she told how lonely she got when her dad went away.

"Sometimes I thought it would never end," Jade said. "It wasn't hard training so much. The first year went pretty, not quick, it went by, I could practise on my own, no problem, but once I started getting back into tournaments, that was just so hard. To do it alone, it was just really, really hard to deal with.

"Being away in Darwin, Adelaide, New Zealand, it was just, I can do it alone, I've done it alone. Sometimes you walk on the court and you're playing a tough match, you're just not playing well. I thought, 'There's no one actually here who cares if I win or not'.

"That gets you down. No one would actually care. You try as hard as you can."

She tried but loneliness swamped her. There were three weeks in New Zealand last year that were the hardest. Staying with families that weren't her own was tough. She called her mum and begged her to put her on a flight home.

"After each match I was just so depressed," she said. What hurt the most was there was no one to say, "Well done, Jade".

"And if you lose, there was no one to talk to about it," she said. "It was just so hard to do."

On the darker days her little sister was someone whom she did lean on. Jade explained that Skye falls under the Pisces star sign, while she is a Cancerian. "Cancer and Pisces have a love/hate relationship," Jade said with a smile.

They are typical sisters who steal hair brushes, clothes, and perfume from one another, but their bond is visibly tight. When their dad went away they assumed his responsibilities and the maturity to take up his empty roles. Jade became Skye's tennis coach. Skye took up her dad's role as Jade's hitting partner.

Skye rolled her eyes and said Jade bossed her around. But, essentially, they triumphed through their sisterly tiffs to keep going. And they love lining up against each other on the court.

"She can handle my ball and in the half court she can protect herself," Jade said. "I love hitting with her, that's probably been a dream of mine, since I was six and she couldn't hit with me a lot. Being able to rip balls across court, like the Williams sister can do …"

Hopper interjected: "We've probably got a couple more years before they can really get into it."

After practising, the trio sipped iced water. Hopper admitted he knew he could have lost much more than two years of freedom and his girls' tennis careers.

"I could have lost the niceness in these two from me not being around. I'm very proud of the way they've handled it. You know what they thought a lot over the last couple of years? It was just another life experience, because we've travelled so much."

He turned to Jade and Skye and nodded to them.

"You've seen some bad parts of life, haven't you?" Hopper said. "Kids with arms cut off begging in the Philippines. The back streets of Turkey - you've seen the bad parts of life. You know it's around."

Skye squinted in the sun and Jade nodded. "Stuff that this doesn't even compare to," Jade said.

Hopper added: "You deal with it, don't you? You get on with it and they've done that."

Sisters were doing it for themselves

THE Hopper sisters dream of emulating Venus and Serena Williams. Together Jade, 15, and Skye, 11, practise six hours a day to achieve their ambition of playing on the women's tennis tour.

Both girls are aiming to compete on the European circuit in the new year. Jade will play on the women's circuit for the first time and Skye on the juniors for several months.

Gavin Hopper said that when he was in prison he feared that his time away would be detrimental to Skye's tennis development.

"Skye grew up hitting more balls at the same age than Jade did," Hopper told the Herald. "She was straight into six hours of training at six years of age. Then all of the sudden, at nine, which is a really important developmental period, I wasn't around. So Jade had to take over the coaching for those two years."

Jade, once the best under-12 player in the world, became a competent coach while Hopper served time at Langi Kal Kal prison near Ballarat for sex offences.

"Jade has a clear understanding of how I would like Skye's game to develop," Hopper said. "That's been Jade's biggest challenge with Skye, to keep the intensity on the court. I'm amazed with what's Jade's done. They've done a great job together to get Skye's game to this stage: world class at 11 years of age."

Using a tennis computer program that catalogued the top players' strokes, the girls would try to emulate them on their court at home on the Gold Coast.

Jade also drew on her experience from being around top players like Monica Seles when she was young, and remembered the intensity needed to be a professional.

"I'd also watched my dad coach Monica Seles and Amanda Coetzer," Jade said. "I pretty much knew what he wanted with Skye, because I'd gone through it. I mean, all I had to do was keep hitting with her and every now and then say a couple of things.

sry for the long post but its 5pages long

Postcard
Nov 25th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Fortunately the links are somewhat shorter.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/hopper-is-back-in-court--a-tennis-court/2006/11/24/1164341396611.html (http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/hopper-is-back-in-court--a-tennis-court/2006/11/24/1164341396611.html)

http://www.smh.com.au/news/tennis/inside-job-hoppers-grand-plan/2006/11/24/1164341399252.html

Personally, I don't think that he is the person to coach Sam Stosur (see The Age version of the story)!

aussy89
Nov 25th, 2006, 06:35 AM
yeah only released i could of just posted the links instead ahaha

louloubelle
Nov 25th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Great articles - thanx for posting.

As for coaching Sam, she could probably do worse, and he certainly helped the likes of Seles and Coetzer, particularly Coetzer. His philophosy is hard work and hard drill work and Sam I think needs that on her groundies to push into the top 15. But he'd be seen as poison atm, and I wouldn't expect he'd be offered a role within TA or by her. (well not ion the short-term anyway).

tiger123
Mar 1st, 2007, 01:10 PM
Jade has hit some good form reaching the final of the 18U Adeliadie ITF Tournament.

Adelaide ITF

Results:
Girls FINAL:
Stephanie Jeanes d Jade Hopper 62 63

Not bad for a 15 y.o playing up an age group...I hope she proves all those people who knocked her wrong.

louloubelle
Mar 4th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Some good improvement there. A year ago she wouldn't have even come close to a result like that.

ozfan44
May 16th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Turkey Grade 5 Junior Event

R1 3-Jade (#385) bye

R2 Q-Giorgia Samprieto (ITA #NR) def 3-Jade (#385) 6-3 6-1

Bad Luck but always tough in first tournament to come out after a bye and play a qualifier who is confident and match tough!

Hope Jade can get some good results at her next events!

broncosven
May 18th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Istanbul Qualies

Irena Pavlovic (FRA) v Jade Hopper

OZTENNIS
May 18th, 2007, 11:46 PM
yeah i just saw that, wtf???

good luck anyway :tape:

SeanyQ
May 19th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Ah well. At least it'll be an experience for her....

Sammy 4 eva!!!
May 19th, 2007, 09:24 AM
She is down 3-0 hasnt one a point!!! Why does she have TUR AGAINST HER NAME SHOULDNT IT BE AUS??

OZTENNIS
May 19th, 2007, 09:27 AM
NO IDEA???

Just won a game, trails 1-3

Sammy 4 eva!!!
May 19th, 2007, 10:04 AM
How old is Jade??

OZTENNIS
May 19th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Jade Hopper lost 2-6, 1-6 in 50 minutes...

She's 16 in July I think

scottsue
May 19th, 2007, 10:57 AM
How odd. Why did they let her play anyway. She didn't win her Juniors match and then she is in a Seniors qual tournament. I do wish her well though but we do not wish to have another Olivia L moment ala pushing them through before their time and then retiring at what 17????

Dani12
May 19th, 2007, 11:31 AM
So...does she play for Turkey? and how did she get a WC?

SeanyQ
May 19th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I think Jade will be around for a while judging by her tennis background.
Considering Pavlovic's ranked 294, the scoreline could've been worse. I don't think Hopper should be too disapointed with this.

SeanyQ
May 19th, 2007, 11:33 AM
She's 16 in July I think

You're right...;)

aussie_fan
May 19th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Bad Luck, fairly good effort considering how tough of an ask this was.

SeanyQ
May 30th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Singles 1r:
Q/nr-Tinatin Kavlashvili (GEO) d. wc-Hopper - 6-2,6-4.....

louloubelle
Jun 1st, 2007, 05:02 AM
How odd. Why did they let her play anyway. She didn't win her Juniors match and then she is in a Seniors qual tournament. I do wish her well though but we do not wish to have another Olivia L moment ala pushing them through before their time and then retiring at what 17????

I think the only gifts Jade will get will be from overseas. Her dad will be considered toxic atm from Tennis Aus, and Id expect poor Jade to bear the brunt of it.

I hope she does well. She seems to be 100% dedicated to making a career of tennis even tho I don't think she's highly talented. The good thing about Jade it doesn't seem that she's afraid to travel and will chase points anywhere. Despite her dad's past - the likes of Seles and Coetzer raved about his coaching. (Even tho Phillipousis's dad Nick didn't ;) )

OZTENNIS
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:50 PM
Bump!

Jade has recorded more consistent results in Asia.

She reached the R32 in Osaka Mayor's Cup (Grade A) before making the quarters in singles and the semis in doubles at the Asia/Oceania Closed (Grade B1)...

With these results, should jump to around 117 in juniors...which to me is surprising :)

Well done :bounce:

scottsue
Nov 4th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Well done Jade. If anyone deserves success it is her!

louloubelle
Nov 4th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Yeah Im the same. Glad she's fighting on. She's gone through alot with her dad's troubles. I read a huge article about her and her sister, they seem so grounded that I really hope Jade makes it on tour.

scottsue
Mar 21st, 2008, 01:45 AM
Jade has won her first round match of the Serawak Malaysian Junior Challenge this week 6/3 6/1. I hope she can progress deep into the draw.

au_sports_opinion
Apr 1st, 2008, 06:05 PM
is she playing any seniors??

OZTENNIS
Apr 29th, 2008, 03:37 PM
$US10 000 Adana ITF Women's Circuit Event - Adana, Turkey
Women's Singles, Main Draw of 32
Representing Australia, Jade Hopper, unseeded

1st Rd: defeated Nadeza SAMOYLO (RUS) (Q) 6-1 6-3
2nd Rd: versus Sofia KVATSABIA (GEO) (8)

And with this, Jade will debut on the WTA Rankings :)

Dani12
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Jade :D

scottsue
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Well done! I am a great fan of Jade's and I hope that she does really well!

OZTENNIS
May 9th, 2008, 11:16 PM
She lost her next match 7-5 6-2.

She then got a wildcard for the 25k in Turkey this week, but lost in the first round to Masa Zec Peskiric 6-2 6-2...not bad at all, especially considering Rogowska got beaten by the same scoreline in AO Quallies

Harvs
May 17th, 2008, 12:49 AM
She has a WC into Istanbul qualies?
WTF? How and why lol???

Anyways, she plays Anastasia Poltoratskaya (world number 373) first up:) GL lol

Harvs
May 17th, 2008, 12:52 AM
oh she got one last year aswell haha

scottsue
May 17th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Make the most of it Jade and keep the progress the going.

SeanyQ
May 17th, 2008, 01:05 AM
She didn't even need to sign in with a wc. It was a complete waste of a wc if she did, last direct acceptances were byes. Anyone with an Ipin could've got in.....
Big ask against Poltoratskaya, let alone the next round against Anna Floris. The experience will do her good. I didn't realise she's still only 16, so who knows where she's at mentally. Once she matures & gets more experience, sho knows where she can get to. At least we know she has all the resources in the world.

AUSBOY
May 17th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Jade is well looked after in Turkey as her dad and Pat Cash have big tennis academy there and are very heavily involved with training all the Turkish junior female players. Jade lives a good part of the year there and trains at the academy

Mr_Molik
May 18th, 2008, 03:50 AM
haha turkey is so random. i cant think of a single wta/atp player, past or present, from there.

SeanyQ
May 18th, 2008, 03:54 AM
haha turkey is so random. i cant think of a single wta/atp player, past or present, from there.

Ipek Senoglu ;) (Currently # 102 in dub's, has been # 85)....

azza
May 18th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Ipek Senoglu ;) (Currently # 102 in dub's, has been # 85)....

Sean.

It has come to my attention when just browsing randomly through the tennis aus threads you know alot about stats and tennis and history.

So my question to you is if you are employed? or studying? Dole bludger? or something because it just seems that you stay on the computer all day and look at how many pts player X needs to make to make a MD or something etc etc.

If this is the case i advise employment immediatley.

SeanyQ
May 18th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Sean.

It has come to my attention when just browsing randomly through the tennis aus threads you know alot about stats and tennis and history.

So my question to you is if you are employed? or studying? Dole bludger? or something because it just seems that you stay on the computer all day and look at how many pts player X needs to make to make a MD or something etc etc.

If this is the case i advise employment immediatley.

Wrong as per usual Aaron! :rolleyes: :lol:
However, should I choose to plunge to the bottom of the socioeconmic ladder, you'll be the first person I'll come to for advice. Being the dole expert of our era after all, couldn't even hold down a job flipping burgers at Maccas! :lol: Poor Aaron! :angel:
Oh, that's right you "earn more than the rest of us".
Also how rude of me not to ask, how're the weight & acne problems going Aaron? :help: :lol:
I've actually taken you off ignore, as the general simplicity of your posts are actually slightly worth a read! :worship: You really need to look at your punctuation though, you have the time on your hands. Why not take some English lessons? ;) There were some signs of improvement in this post though, so keep it up! Good boy.... :worship:

OZTENNIS
May 18th, 2008, 07:38 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

_____
Hopper lost her match in Istanbul 6-3 6-4, not a bad effort, actually a lot closer than I would have expected :)

Sammy 4 eva!!!
May 18th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Good result but she was up 3-0 in the second :sad:

Golovinjured.
May 18th, 2008, 11:26 AM
lol at Sean v Azza

scottsue
May 18th, 2008, 12:51 PM
lol at Sean v Azza

I love them both! Please put me in the ring though with kittyking! That would get me going!

Golovinjured.
May 18th, 2008, 01:10 PM
lol there'd be a few willing to take up that challenge v kittyking. But i'm not one of them :p I'll take on GSM-Ferguson :rolleyes:

azza
May 19th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Sif not answer my question do you have a job you keyboard warrior

or are you like TBE whos like 40 and seems to post like 40 posts a day and sitz at home...

azza
May 19th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Acne and Weight lmao my skin is the opitame of clear which i can back it up with pics and 63kg is fat lulz. and what is this maccas bs u keep going on about when you try to make a point make sure its valid and don't stoop to lying " acne and weight and the maccas thing " try make a point out of observation i.e what im on 36K a year and im fuken hawt touch me?

SeanyQ
May 19th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Acne and Weight lmao my skin is the opitame of clear which i can back it up with pics and 63kg is fat lulz. and what is this maccas bs u keep going on about when you try to make a point make sure its valid and don't stoop to lying " acne and weight and the maccas thing " just for my own stuckuppingness im on 36K a year pink milkshake punchuashen

Opitame? That's a new one.
As for the rest. I laugh with the knowledge that I'm right. :lol:
Poor stupid, fat Aaron!! :lol: Time for those English lessons now....

SeanyQ
May 19th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Sif not answer my question do you have a job you keyboard warrior

or are you like TBE whos like 40 and seems to post like 40 posts a day and sitz at home...

I think the first sentence of my post should've answered that for anyone who had a fraction of a brain. :retard:
since English certainly isn't your forte, I would hope you'd be at an acceptable level for Maths. You have posted 6 times the number of posts as me in the less than double the amount of time I've been on here. I think that says it all really! :lol:

louloubelle
May 19th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Good result from Jade - she's a work-in-progress but her determination might just see her a tour regular.
Is that right - she's only 16!?

azza
May 19th, 2008, 04:41 AM
wasnt she the one with the like SIYKO' faja?

OZTENNIS
May 19th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Yes, she's 16 turning 17 this year

Daniel.
May 19th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Jade is on the entry list for %10,000 Gaziantep TURKEY next week. Shes in main draw number 15. This is where she should be playing not WTA Qualies, but im glad she took the Wildcard because its all good experience for her, she was never going to win but every player has to take what opportunities they're given. I'd like to think Jade can make the QFs of this $10k.

ozfan44
May 19th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Definately good to see how close she got to Poltoratskaya!!

Heres hoping players like Hopper and Mishma Kumar stick with it as the could develop into decent ITF Tour Players

OZTENNIS
May 19th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Yes, I agree...what happened to Mishma? Her and Kristina Pejkovic were leading the 1991 crop (ahead of Konta, Hopper, Peers, Sheed and Rogowska wasn't really even on the radar) a few years back...
Mishma I think is living in France, don't know if tennis has her full attention.
Pejkovic seems to play a lot in Spain, so she must be based there. I remember she played Hopper in the semis of the 12s Nationals back in about 2003...Pejkovic won 6-0 6-0...

scottsue
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:56 AM
Jade is playing in Izner Turkey this week coming. She is joined there by Scivetti,Gianotti and Chidrawi. Scivetti and Gianotti got to the quarter finals last week so it would be great to see them continue to play well this week.

Daniel.
Jun 6th, 2008, 09:40 AM
$10,000 Izmir TURKEY

SINGLES
R1: Hopper d. Tegan Edwards RSA 7/5 6/2
R2: Pemra Ozgen TUR (3) d. Hopper 6/2 6/2

DOUBLES
R1: Hopper / Segnini d. Babanova / Isaeva 7/6(1) 7/6(2)
QF: Buyukakcay / Ozgen (1) d. Hopper / Segnini 6/2 6/1

scottsue
Jun 6th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I was impressed that win over Tegan Edwards actually as she is a very tough opponent. Good work Jade!

Petkorazzi
Jun 6th, 2008, 11:02 AM
She is still Australian? :eek: They were saying an year ago that she was gonna switch to Turkey, that's why she got all those WCs.

ozfan44
Jun 6th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Jade is ticking along quite nicely!!

AUSBOY
Jun 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM
She is still Australian? :eek: They were saying an year ago that she was gonna switch to Turkey, that's why she got all those WCs.
Her dad with Pat Cash have a big tennis academy in Turkey somewhere, and they are very heavily involved with all the local juniors, hence the wildcards

OZTENNIS
Jun 7th, 2008, 11:17 AM
There is no way that Jade would switch to Turkey, that would be the height of insanity and obviously prove that (yet) another Aussie has no pride in their country

jamatthews
Oct 15th, 2008, 09:01 PM
In the Quarter Finals of the Commonwealth Youth Games in Pune.

louloubelle
Oct 19th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Another article - like Jade's cheeky smile!
Wejnert and Hopper win gold
http://www.tennisforum.com/images/taAssets/but_mail_ro.gif (http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/News.aspx?id=4&pageId=11478&HandlerId=2&archive=false&newsid=4917#)http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/images/taAssets/greyline.gifhttp://www.tennisforum.com/images/taAssets/but_print_ro.gif (http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/News.aspx?id=4&pageId=11478&HandlerId=2&archive=false&newsid=4917#)
Pune,19 October 2008
Tennis Australia
http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/image.aspx?assetid=RDM39740.4556063657&blobType=landscape
Gold: Monika Wejnert (l) and Jade Hopper with their gold medals after winning girls doubles final at the Commonwealth Youth Games in Pune, India.
Tennis Australia

Australians Monika Wejnert and Jade Hopper have won the gold medal in the girls' doubles at the Commonwealth Youth Games in Pune, India.
The girls overcame a parochial home crowd to defeat local favourites Kyra Schroff and Poojashree Venkatesha 6-4 4-6 6-1 in front of almost 2000 spectators on centre court.
Earlier in the day, Wejnert was defeated in her singles semifinal by India's Kyra Schroff 5-7 6-2 3-6. Despite being up 3-2 in the third, Wejnert was eventually overpowered by Schroff. Wejnert will now play off for the bronze medal against Poojashree Venkatesha of India. Wejnert's excellent showing at these games has been rewarded with a spot in the closing ceremony. She is just one of four Australian athletes to be selected for this honour. Australia has more than 100 athletes competing in these games.
Overall results
Josh Nelson: round of 16 singles; withdrew from doubles.
Alex Sanders: Withdrew prior to the event starting due to illness.
Jade Hopper: singles quarterfinalist and doubles gold medallist.
Monika Wejnert: singles semifinalist competing for bronze and doubles gold medalist

Daniel.
Oct 19th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Jade looks about 9 years old there

Ben.
Oct 20th, 2008, 07:43 AM
WD to the girls :yeah:

spiceboy
Dec 20th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Jade :hug:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/tennis/hopper-tempers-cinderella-dreams-with-life/2008/12/12/1228585121698.html

Hopper tempers Cinderella dreams with life

SOME time ago and then more recently, Jade Hopper reassessed her ambitions in tennis and life and came to the once-unthinkable conclusion that perhaps the two may not necessarily be entwined. The slight, bright, driven young girl who had been programmed for tennis greatness all her life could see and accept a future away from the court.
The early heights were giddy. The world’s best 12-year-old attracted major endorsement deals and led a glamourous globetrotting life with her coach/father Gavin and his famous clients, who included Monica Seles and Mark Philippoussis. In 2001, an ABC documentary on her life revealed a media-savvy blonde twiglet trained for six hours each day to succeed, succeed, succeed. And that, surely, was the way it would be.
The reality has been more harsh. Jade Hopper is, at 17, the world’s 117th ranked junior, perhaps now better known as the daughter of a man who served 27 months in jail for indecently assaulting a 14-year-old student while a teacher at Wesley College in the 1980s. The elder Hopper daughter plans to study a tertiary law subject next year while still nursing a tennis dream that, one senses, is not as compelling as it once was.
“When I was younger the only option and the only thing I could ever see was being a tennis player. I grew up around it, I grew up around tennis players who had made it, and that was the only thing I could see for myself. But now I’m getting older I see different things,”
Jade told The Age during this week’s 18-and-under national championships, where her run was ended in the quarter finals by Queensland’s Isabella Holland.
“I’ve played tennis my entire life, so my No. 1 fantastic dream was obviously to be playing tennis. But now, being sort-of on the tour, travelling a lot this year, it’s made me realise ‘OK, it’s not exactly the gorgeous Cinderella lifestyle that some people might (en)vision’. Obviously for the top players it is, but travelling is difficult, moving each week is difficult and, also my tennis career can only last till I’m 30, 35, maybe a bit longer if I’m lucky. So I basically take each day how it comes.”
There is a flexible plan for 2009 that includes some farewell junior events and the continuing transition to what Hopper describes as the more comfortable and welcoming environment of open-age competition. In 2008, she completed Year 12 through Distance Education Victoria and was based with her family for seven months in Istanbul, where Gavin is involved with a major new tennis development and the annual WTA Tour event.

Admitting that her name has been a source of tournament wildcards that may not always have been deserved, Jade describes as “OK” her results in a busy year, although not quite as good as she had hoped.
Perhaps the intense training of her childhood - practising at four, playing tournaments at eight - gave the baseliner a head start on rivals who have now caught up?
“Obviously the years of practice helped me when I was younger,” she agrees. “A while ago when I was not doing so well, I used to think, ‘Oh my God, I was good, and what happened’? but I can only take my own path, I can only be as good as I can be. Whether people are disappointed or not, we’ll see.”
Hopper seems to have been thoroughly coached, and not just in tennis. Throughout the half-hour interview there is a sense of a very adult teenager - worldly, polished and prepared. The subject of her father is a sensitive one to broach, but relevant for the impact his absence had on Jade and promising 13-year-old sister Skye.
While in jail, Gavin Hopper coached by telephone and letter and with the help of photographs and the occasional video. Unhappy with the volume of training being provided locally, he organised for Jade to spend three months in South Carolina to work with family friend, Fritz Nau, whose philosophies the Australian fitness fanatic shares.
For Jade's part she was happy to "get out of Australia" and escape the glare of her father's conviction; pleased, too, to return to the country that was home for much of her childhood and from which she retains the hint of a fading drawl. "It was good to get away, because obviously in Australia everyone knew what happened," she recalls. "But I have good friends and none of my friends have ever been different to me, they've always been very supportive, and I'm happy and thankful for that."
Also supported by a close extended family, Karen Hopper and her children returned from the Gold Coast to live in Melbourne during Hopper's incarceration at Langi Kal Kal prison, near Ballarat. "Obviously it was a difficult time and, I mean, I lost a couple of years of development, tennis-wise," says Jade.
"But obviously I was lucky, I am lucky, I've had a father who's a coach who's been able to help me pursue what I want to do and not everyone has that, so I can't think of myself as too unfortunate. I was without a coach for two years, but things happen like that, everyone has tough times in their life.

"Now it's like it didn't happen — or it did, but it's not a big deal now. Me and my family have moved on from it, and it was not an experience I would recommend, obviously, or would want anyone else to be put through, the different emotions, but it's kind of in the past, and we'll do what we can."
The father-daughter relationship, she said, was inevitably altered. "When he went away I was a little girl and when he came back (in late 2006) I was a full teenager, so it's a big difference, obviously, for a girl to change and mature. So it's a different relationship now than I had with him before, only because as you grow up your relationship with your parents changes, and instead of a child-parent relationship, it becomes more of a respectful friend-friend relationship, I feel." The sisters tried to help each other during those two rudderless years, although Jade jokes that the on-court "sister bickering" was less of an unofficial coaching arrangement than a case of sibling practice partners simply trying to make the best of things on their own. Some days were good; some days not.
Skye, indeed, may be better equipped physically for an elite career, as Jade is still small for a tennis player, at a lean 165 centimetres. "I'm not as little as I used to be, obviously, thank God," laughs the elder Hopper, claiming to be around average height, and able to compensate for her modest size with other attributes. Skye, meanwhile, is in the top handful in the world for her age and, in Jade-speak, "doing awesome".
Is Skye, in fact, the more talented sister? "It's different. I feel that sometimes my ability got hyped up a little bit too much," says Jade. "Obviously I must have been good — I can't remember myself that well, it was a while ago — but how good can somebody be at that stage?
"I played tennis since I was a baby, so obviously I had more years of experience when I was 10, 11, 12, than most of the girls. Skye didn't get the publicity that I got at that age. My parents decided to take a different path with her. She's very good, an amazing player and a great competitor, so we'll see how she goes."
And how Jade continues, and for how long. Intelligent and articulate, she is determined not to end up as a coach, and so next year's university introduction is designed to ensure there is a non-tennis career waiting when her playing time is over. This from a girl who is still just 17, but one who has already lived an extraordinary life in a full and not always approving public glare.
"When I was young obviously there was a lot of publicity, which is good, bad, I'll take it how it comes," she shrugs. "There were expectations. I haven't reached them, but it doesn't mean I can't, and different people mature at different times. When I was young, 12, 13, 14, my friends grew, I didn't. Obviously they became stronger and more powerful, those couple of years were a little bit more difficult for me. Now it's more even and I'm doing the best I can."

Petkorazzi
Dec 20th, 2008, 03:26 PM
:awww:

I didn't know she was good in juniors, her senior tour results give the impression of a bagel girl.

louloubelle
Dec 21st, 2008, 03:38 AM
Nice that Jade is picking up a bit. She wasn't blown away this week - apart from a 2nd set blow out against Wishink.
She's being realistic atleast by considering life after tennis. Always been a very articulate young lady.

louloubelle
Aug 8th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Bump!!! Long time, no posts in this thread!

Couldnt be happier about Jade reaching her first ITF final. Will be a toughy to get through against the no. 1 seed.

TS
Aug 9th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Jade lost the final to the hometown favourite but a great effort to reach the final. Especially in Turkey, her 'second home'.

She beat Dani Scivetti easily the QF too, so beating a higher ranked countrywoman is always a confidence booster.

Qalahari
Aug 30th, 2010, 07:39 PM
4th seed at 10K Istanbul
1st round vs her own sister (Skye) who qualified :hug:
Doubles together :)

louloubelle
Aug 31st, 2010, 06:52 AM
^ :lol: too funny. Happens so often, 50+ players in a draw away from their home country, and they're drawn each other. :lol:

Territory
Jan 1st, 2011, 06:07 AM
Congrats to Jade on the doubles wildcard at the Brisbane International!

Playing with Jarmila Groth - 1st round v. Kondratieva/Poutchek.

Very winnable. Good luck!

Territory
Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:15 AM
:cheer: Jade and Jarka won their 1st round doubles match in Brisbane 7-5 6-4. Great experience and result for Jade. Will definitely get a AO doubles WC now too I'd say. A great start to the year!

Daniel.
Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:44 AM
That is very impressive. Well done Jade, she would have been targetted big-time by the European pair and looks like she must have held her own well.

scottsue
Jan 3rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
I hope that Jade gets an AO wildcard but she did mention on the streaming of the wc playoffs that Jarka would be playing with someone else so wish them both well. Would be great though if they could play together. The Hopper's and Groth's are working well.

TS
Jan 3rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
Yeah, Jarka will use her singles ranking to get into the doubles draw at AO so I wonder who they will place Jade with? Probably another young player like Wejnert or Holland I imagine. Or possibly Rogowska as their doubles ranks are similar.

ozfan44
Jan 3rd, 2011, 03:23 PM
Great win for Jade and Jarka, hopefully they can keep it going!!

anthonyqld
Jan 3rd, 2011, 09:27 PM
They both played great last night. It looks like Jade's making a documentary, there was a camera crew that filmed her, and only her, playing, filmed them all change of ends, followed her on and off the court, and at times filmed I'm assuming her mother (or a woman that Jade left with) .

Kəv.
Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:29 PM
:woohoo: Jade's ranking is going to go down loads in doubles!! :)

ozfan44
Jan 4th, 2011, 09:52 AM
:woohoo: Jade's ranking is going to go down loads in doubles!! :)

If they bow out tomorrow (hopefully not) against Niculescu and Yan she will rise from 200 to around 180/182

dok-stos
Jan 4th, 2011, 11:43 AM
They both played great last night. It looks like Jade's making a documentary, there was a camera crew that filmed her, and only her, playing, filmed them all change of ends, followed her on and off the court, and at times filmed I'm assuming her mother (or a woman that Jade left with) .

Australian Story follow up maybe?

scottsue
Jan 4th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I have a bit of a soft spot for jade given her family troubles and turmil. On the wc playoff she came off as a very kind and sweet person. She could not stop raving about both Groth's and it was very interesting to hear of their place in Turkey where Jarka and Sam stay with Jade and her father. It really is working well and I do hope that Jarka and Jade can win their next match and keep it going.

dok-stos
Mar 12th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Australian Story follow up maybe?

Jade is on Australian Story this Monday at 8pm on abc
Should be interesting...
Aus Story trying to pump her up as a good player with tough decisions to make in regards to her career.

sutho12
Mar 14th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Whatd everyone think? She seems happy either way with her career, which is good as we all know she is goin to struggle to reach higher ranks of tennis

hdfb
Mar 14th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I was in the footage :p The shot where they had Sam, Jarmila and Gavin watching Jade at the play-off, I was standing just a few metres and when they shot to Jade, you could see half of my body :p
I saw Rafito. was in the stands when they showed footage of the Molik vs Hopper match.

The story was OK, felt surprisingly short, she still irritates me a bit, especially when she was going on about how hard it was travelling while the TV was showing all her awesome travel experiences in Egypt, Prague while also flying business class etc etc.

sutho12
Mar 14th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Yeh she obviously said she enjoyed the travel, but at the same time for a girl so young as she said it is lonely being away from family as the events she plays arent glamarous generally

Dani12
Mar 14th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Of course I remembered this was on at 8.30 :( Wonder if they will have any replays?

sutho12
Mar 14th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Um sometimes they reply on abc 2, so check guides. Definately worth checking, is a good insight

petey_pan
Mar 14th, 2011, 11:41 AM
It made me sad :( poor Jade. Sounds like she's much more interested with her studies which is her choice in the end. In regards to singles even if she worked REALLY hard I couldn't see her even making the top 200, but she could have a decent doubles career if she gives it a good crack. Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. Best of luck to her in whatever she chooses.

tennismum
Mar 14th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I thought Jade was refreshingly honest about where she sits tennis wise. As being a parent of a player I know how lonely it can be it might seem glamorous to the outside world but the truth is most of the time you are playing in a country where no one supports you or cheers you on and when you lose you go back to a hotel room alone. Jade may seem to be in all these wonderful exotic places but lets be honest doing it by yourself with no one to share it with wouldnt be that much fun. When you lose you normally pack your bags and get to the next tournament not really a lot of time for sight seeing. Good on Jade I think she portrayed a very accurate picture of what life as a lesser player on the tour really is.

Territory
Mar 14th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Was an interesting program.

Did anyone else find it weird how they didn't have much to say about Gavin going to gaol (apart from the effect it had on Jade's career). Just seemed like it was sort of "Gavin in gaol for having sex with a 14-year-old" and then he's back three years later like nothing happened and everything goes back to how it was before. Seems a bit :weirdo: to me, although admittedly, I don't know too much of the detail...

hdfb
Mar 14th, 2011, 02:12 PM
^Well the story was meant to focus on Jade Hopper, I am sure that's why they didn't delve into Gavin.

The funny thing I found was how supportive the wife seemed to be of Gavin....

Fun fact: I live 500 metres or so from Wesley College, where Gavin went about his business and got caught.

sutho12
Mar 14th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I thought Jade was refreshingly honest about where she sits tennis wise. As being a parent of a player I know how lonely it can be it might seem glamorous to the outside world but the truth is most of the time you are playing in a country where no one supports you or cheers you on and when you lose you go back to a hotel room alone. Jade may seem to be in all these wonderful exotic places but lets be honest doing it by yourself with no one to share it with wouldnt be that much fun. When you lose you normally pack your bags and get to the next tournament not really a lot of time for sight seeing. Good on Jade I think she portrayed a very accurate picture of what life as a lesser player on the tour really is.

Completely agree with you..

mardo
Mar 15th, 2011, 06:29 AM
I was in the footage :p The shot where they had Sam, Jarmila and Gavin watching Jade at the play-off, I was standing just a few metres and when they shot to Jade, you could see half of my body :p
I saw Rafito. was in the stands when they showed footage of the Molik vs Hopper match.

The story was OK, felt surprisingly short, she still irritates me a bit, especially when she was going on about how hard it was travelling while the TV was showing all her awesome travel experiences in Egypt, Prague while also flying business class etc etc.

I thought the story was an insight into how a tennis player must feel, especially if they are losing more than they are winning.

I didnt notice that she was flying business class, but I dont think that would make it less lonely, only more confortable!

I felt a little bit sorry for her and thought that choosing to study would be a good choice.Good luck Jade :)

sutho12
Jun 16th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Ne news if she will play again? Gud to see shes been studing and relished shes needs a back up:)

sutho12
Jul 26th, 2011, 05:52 AM
seen shes been going to all gs with jarka etc. neone know if shes training a lot at least and return date if one?:)

Dund
Jul 26th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Never heard of her before this, just watched that video of her. Certainly an interesting story, but it's a story I'm sure happens to lots of kids all over the world. Plenty of really gifted kids never make it for whatever reason.

She seems like she's been through a lot though, and perhaps that stress has come through physically, because she looks way older than her age to me, she looks more like she's in her 30's. Can see the stress lines on her face already. I wouldn't say a sad story, because I'm sure she will having a fulfilling life, but more an educational one.

sutho12
Jan 30th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Save to say child prodigy lol quit rather then coming back after break like australian story said??