PDA

View Full Version : All I want from Russian girls at Wimbledon...

tenn_ace
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:31 AM
is for Elena and Nastya to have a good showing. Really. Quarters at least. Otherwise, we'll never hear the end of it.... Anything else will be like a bonus for me.

Would quarters silence the critics/haters/etc...?

What are YOU hoping Russian girls achieve in 3 weeks?:wavey:

- L i n a -
Jun 13th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Bovina - If she doesn't draw Venus/Serena in the early rounds... she must reach Qtrs.

The critics/haters will never be silenced... so no need to mention that.

Derek.
Jun 13th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Petrova - Needs to find her form and prove she is a top 6 player. If in form I say at least a 4th rd hopefully a quarterfinal. If she isn't in form I say 3rd rd. Go Nadia! :D

ys
Jun 13th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Title.

Stephieva
Jun 13th, 2004, 06:06 AM
me wants lena d to play at her level...
and..won't have too much trouble in early rd...
of cos...me wants lena 2win da tourny...
but...in reality...QF is good enough 4me...:)

bubble
Jun 13th, 2004, 01:56 PM
I would think for Elena quarters would be satisfactory but for Myskina, she would have to reach semi & above to silence all those critics out there...

ys
Jun 13th, 2004, 03:12 PM
I would think for Elena quarters would be satisfactory but for Myskina, she would have to reach semi & above to silence all those critics out there...
I don't care about "critics" and nor does she.. Quarters, semis.. Who the hell cares.. For Nastya's current level there is only one result that is different from all others - playing in last Saturday.

tenn_ace
Jun 13th, 2004, 03:19 PM
you're right, Bubble, about Nastya. especially now that she's ranked so high, semis at least is what she should do there.

+ Artie +
Jun 13th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Kirilenko vs Sharapova in the Finals. ;)

goldenlox
Jun 13th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Why is this person not banned?

tenn_ace
Jun 13th, 2004, 03:55 PM
because not many people could read Russian. and besides, as ys said, if it's allowed in English, why isn't it allowed in Russian?

goldenlox
Jun 13th, 2004, 03:58 PM
They deleted the post, so it's not totally allowed. I wish they would delete the poster.

bubble
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:00 PM
I don't care about "critics" and nor does she.. Quarters, semis.. Who the hell cares.. For Nastya's current level there is only one result that is different from all others - playing in last Saturday.
We have to be realistic here...
At Wimbledon, there are also other players equally or more capable to win based on past results and the surface.

goldenlox
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Nastya was down a set and a break in round 1. Sveta served with a MP against Nastya.
I think we have to go one match at a time. I'm only confident about Maria S. getting through week 1.
Everyone else, they have to be very focused on each match.

ys
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:09 PM
We have to be realistic here...
At Wimbledon, there are also other players equally or more capable to win based on past results and the surface.
And so were at Roland Garros..

ys
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Nastya was down a set and a break in round 1. Sveta served with a MP against Nastya.
I think we have to go one match at a time. I'm only confident about Maria S. getting through week 1.
Everyone else, they have to be very focused on each match.Being seeded 8, Sveta is a very safe bet to reach quarters.

goldenlox
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Sveta was down 1-4 in the third against Casanova. There are some good floaters in these majors.
Mental toughness and focus will be important. I'd like to see a Russian in every QF.
But right now I want them to only concern themselves with round 1.

ys
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Sveta was down 1-4 in the third against Casanova. There are some good floaters in these majors.
Where is guarantee that Masha won't run into someone like Raymond or Martinez or Navratilova :lol:, or be drawn against Nadya in R16. Mind you, Masha was down a break in the third today against someone playing her first career grass pro tournament.

Mental toughness and focus will be important. I'd like to see a Russian in every QF.
But right now I want them to only concern themselves with round 1.
You sound too rational, sweety.. We are dreamers here..

goldenlox
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:22 PM
I think Maria will play consistently every round. Nastya has to work her way into the tournament.
Maria had all the pressure on her today. But I still would have bet on her.
I'd love Nadia-Maria. I wanted that today.

- L i n a -
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Nastya can win a slam. Bovina can win a slam.

I expect nothing else.

No slam... don't come back to Russia.

ys
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:35 PM
I think Maria will play consistently every round. Nastya has to work her way into the tournament.
Maria had all the pressure on her today. But I still would have bet on her.
I'd love Nadia-Maria. I wanted that today.
Reaching her first GS semis at Wimbledon is .... jinx. Kournikova, Lucic, Stevenson, Dokic. Every one of them at least as talented as Masha.. :sad:

goldenlox
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:39 PM
I think Maria is mentally tougher. And she wants it more. Time will tell.
As long as Maria always has a traveling coach, she will do well. Don't use a parent as a coach.

bubble
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:41 PM
And so were at Roland Garros..
I would say the Williams sisters have a better chance at Wimbly than at RG.

- L i n a -
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Reaching her first GS semis at Wimbledon is .... jinx. Kournikova, Lucic, Stevenson, Dokic. Every one of them at least as talented as Masha.. :sad:
Reaching the Wimbly SF's is truly a curse...

Add Date and McGrath from 96 to that list. Date surprisingly retired at the end of '96, while she still had years of good tennis in her... and McGrath's had a career-ending injury the tournament after Wimbly.

ys
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:42 PM
I would say the Williams sisters have a better chance at Wimbly than at RG.
That's only historically. I thought Venus went through clay warmup season like a tornado.

bubble
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:46 PM
That's only historically. I thought Venus went through clay warmup season like a tornado.
That's why I mentioned earlier based on past results. Let's hope it's history then. I just feel that Wimbledon always brings out the best from the 2 sisters even though they are not in the best form. Plus the surface suits their game.

- L i n a -
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:48 PM
But those pesky Top 10 players, who only win when their opponent makes 124234 errors, are in the Slams.

*JR*
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:49 PM
The Russian quartet I think the most pressure is on is Nadia, Vera Z, Sveta, and Sharky.

ys
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:51 PM
That's why I mentioned earlier based on past results. Let's hope it's history then. I just feel that Wimbledon always brings out the best from the 2 sisters even though they are not in the best form. Plus the surface suits their game.
Starting from 2001 they were usually coming into W with tons of confidence and aura of invincibility. Everyone would lose to them before the match even started. One year ago their RG losses looked like an accidental glitch, nothing more. It is far from that now.

- L i n a -
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Vera has no pressure to play well here. She hates grass. If she could skip this surface, she would. If she got to the 4R again, that would be a fine accomplishment.

- L i n a -
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Well, as always, I'm being ignored again here by the assholes.

So, FO.

goldenlox
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:54 PM
You're losing your mind.

+ Artie +
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Why is this person not banned?
Не пизди...

goldenlox
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Go away. Far away.

Stephieva
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:58 PM
me dunno much about tennis :o
but...me has a feelin...
when we here hope about someone v much...
it's failed...:sad:
like at RG...most expected good performance from nadia and vera z...
and then it turned out...masha...ana... and lena had betta results...
and otha tournies too...
me has this feein..
so me predicts we might have surpising playa at wimby...
dunno who tho...:p

ys
Jun 13th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Go away. Far away.
Just ignore him. Kids love attention. Give them no attention and they'll go away..

the cat
Jun 13th, 2004, 07:03 PM
I don't see why there can't be 2 Russina's in the qurterfinals and 1 Russina in the semifinals. Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters won't be playing Wimbledon this year and that opens the door for the Russina's to challenge the Williams sisters, Capriati and Davenport the way Henin and Clijsters normally do. It's certainly realistic to think that one of the Russian girls could make the Wimbledon final this year with an outside chance of winning it and a better chance to win it if Serena Williams isn't in the final. :)

*JR*
Jun 13th, 2004, 08:14 PM
You're losing your mind.
She lost it a long time ago, back when she was Leena. (And note the split personality, as in Bovina "must reach QF if no W/S match B4 then" shifting to "don't come back to Russia without trophy"). The USSR wouldn't have needed trumped up political charges to have put Lina in a psycho ward! :rolleyes:

Derek.
Jun 14th, 2004, 03:46 AM
Nadia better do something here. :o Since Charleston Nadia has been playing like crap. :mad: Nadia please make the quarters! :kiss:

goldenlox
Jun 14th, 2004, 04:04 AM
I want the Russian women spread out throughout the draw. And I want 10 to make the third round. And at least one Russian woman in every QF.
And to win this, after the FO, would be awesome. It would change how the sport is viewed, all around the world.
It would mean the Russians have more than just arrived. They've begun to dominate.

Nastyafan
Jun 14th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Of course Anastasia's slam to continue here:angel:

If she fails:fiery: Alyona to be ready

and then the whole Russian roulette

Daniel
Jun 14th, 2004, 10:44 AM

I agree. :)

*JR*
Jun 14th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Of course Anastasia's slam to continue here:angel:

If she fails:fiery: Alyona to be ready

and then the whole Russian roulette
For both above (esp. the blonde) the lack of a big serve is more of a factor on grass than clay. Re. all of them winning Slams, kind of a tall order, I think. You've also got 2 Maria's and 2 Vera's; Nadya; that other Elena some wacko poster here both loves and hates; Sister Safina; later Vika, To The extent she's Russian; Alisa down the line, who may wind up Being Better than the rest. And ones I haven't yet heard of but Eggy has, I'm sure.

I omitted Baby Blue Eyes because Her Health in terms of Slam level tennis (perhaps competing period, if you add the effects of her mistreated foot injury) is still a question mark.

DEETHELICK
Jun 15th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Elena's serve could be aided by the low bouncing grass, but yes, I think Kuznetsova has a great chance to do well here. As does Nadia (but with nadia, she is always a ?)

What will help Elena is her aggressive ground game, on the grass her power will tell. It just depends on her 1st serve %

All my support goes to her :)

*JR*
Jun 15th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Vera is quite unlikely to win, but may get ova whatever "grassophobia". She Still acts out, but is learning how to "play off her anger" like Jen does.

KV
Jun 15th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Want one of the Russian players to reach the SF. Then maybe three could reach the QF. Around 6 in the 4th round. With a lucky draw Douchevina (if she's fit), Masha K, D. Safina & Elena L. could reach the 3rd round. All three have the game to play in grass. Collectively the Russian players are better on grass than the red clay.