PDA

View Full Version : The Olympics

Pages : [1] 2

Derek.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:46 PM
I believe that Anastasia Myskina & Elena Dementieva are locks or "should" be for the Russian Qlympic team. :D Nadia, Sveta, Vera, & Maria to me are the other Russian who have a good chance to make it also, but since there are only 4 spots on the team these four will have to battle hard to make it. ;) All seem to doing pretty good in 2004 with Sveta & Maria breaking the top 15 for the 1st time, then Nadia breaking the top 10 for the 1st time, and of course Nastya for breaking the top 5 for the 1st time. :worship: The Russian are here and for a long time! :bounce:

no1mariafan
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:58 PM
And Elena will break into top 5 if she wins the final if im not mistaken!

Should be a good contest for the russians. We are presuming that all players want to appear or will be fit. I personally think Elena D, Myskina, Sveta and Masha should take the singles spots.

- L i n a -
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:03 PM
The top 4 ranked Russians, as of next week, should be on the Olympic team.

That would consist of Myskina, Dementieva, Petrova and Zvonareva.

If there's injury... 1st alternate, Sharapova... 2nd alternate, Bovina.

the cat
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:12 PM
Lina, so much for you constantly saying Maria will be on the Russian Olympic tennis team. I never believed it anyway. Just as I never believed she would be on the Russian Fed Cup team for their first round tie against Australia.

- L i n a -
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:17 PM
Lina, so much for you constantly saying Maria will be on the Russian Olympic tennis team. I never believed it anyway. Just as I never believed she would be on the Russian Fed Cup team for their first round tie against Australia.
I didn't say that... I'm just saying who I would put on the team.

I still think Shamil will go against his supposed word... saying that he'd take the 4 highest ranked Russians after Birmingham.

Masha hasn't proven she's a legitimate hope for a medal. Neither has Vera. They're both young. Vera's ranked higher, so I would choose her.

Derek.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:19 PM
And Sveta? :confused:

- L i n a -
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:21 PM
Ugh... why the hell do I always forget Sveta? :p

K... knock Vera off then.

The decision is rather easy for now.

I know Nadya is anything but consistent... but hopefully, she'll have one of her good streaks.

no1mariafan
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:22 PM
But Petrova and Vera are not really in form at the moment? whilst the others seem to be playing well. Depends when the decision is made. After Wimbledon, Masha may move up the rankings with a good tournement on her favourite surface.

Derek.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:24 PM
But Petrova and Vera are not really in form at the moment? whilst the others seem to be playing well. Depends when the decision is made. After Wimbledon, Masha may move up the rankings with a good tournement on her favourite surface.

Yeah and she has a lot of points to defend on this grass season while players like Petrova & Zvonareva have less. ;) But since this is a Maria's best surface she is capable of defending them, but then again Nadia is the only Russian to defeat Serena in 2004. :worship:

- L i n a -
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:25 PM
It's not just about playing well now, though.

The goal is to take the players who have the best chance of medaling.

Masha and Vera have not proven they can beat the Top 10 players in the world... let alone anyone in the Top 5, that is necessary of earning a medal.

Nadya has. Of course, she can also lose 1st round to some no-name from Timbuktu. But, Nadya has the ranking... and she has deserved it with the best play in top-notch tournaments over the remaining options for the team.

no1mariafan
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:30 PM
Maria should really get to the 4th round at least. i am hoping anyway.
Im sure whoever is chosen, will do well.

Derek.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:35 PM
If Nadia got picked I'm sure she could rise to the occasion...just ask Serena! :p

- L i n a -
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:38 PM
If Nadia got picked I'm sure she could rise to the occasion...just ask Serena! :p
That's why I think Nadia would be a fine pick.

Some days, she plays like a Top 5 player.

Derek.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:40 PM
Some days she even plays like she is No.1! :D Just ask Serena! :haha:

no1mariafan
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:41 PM
But some days she can also be terrible, ask Weingartner!
The best players for the task will be chosen, im sure.

Derek.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:43 PM
And Nadia is one of the best players also...

Derek.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:45 PM
Anyway, in that match w/ Marlene Wiengartner Nadia wasn't herself at all. She had sore feet, couldn't breath very well, and also couldn't see the ball very well plus she felt a lot of pressure with her draw opening up, so please don't use that atch as an example. ;)

goldenlox
Jun 5th, 2004, 07:20 AM
To me, the Olympic team is set. The four singles players are - Nastya, Elena D., Sveta, and Nadia.
The first three have to be there. And Nadia has enough game to win a medal, if she's on her game.
Vera and Maria are good players. But you have to bring the players with a real chance to win a medal.
And this is an easy decision.

Epigone
Jun 5th, 2004, 08:04 AM
To me, the Olympic team is set. The four singles players are - Nastya, Elena D., Sveta, and Nadia.
The first three have to be there. And Nadia has enough game to win a medal, if she's on her game.
Vera and Maria are good players. But you have to bring the players with a real chance to win a medal.
And this is an easy decision.I agree on those four players for singles, and I think that Lena L and Vera should be selected for doubles.

Gowza
Jun 5th, 2004, 09:20 AM
as said above i think elena and ana are sure spots. i dont think vera z has as good a chance as the others tho, all the others have in some way had a breakthrough this year whereas vera z hasnt. i'm pretty sure sveta will get picked and atm i think maria would be picked over nadia. hopefully in the next year or so players like douchevina, kirilenko, linetskaya, kleybanova (a couple more years for alisa) and anna t can move their way up and start to be thought of potential fed cup and olympic players.

i i dont think bovina, safina or lina k have much of a chance this year but i wonder if they get good results in the next couple of months whether it will change the thoughts of who should be in the team.

goldenlox
Jun 5th, 2004, 01:57 PM
I have no doubt that both Marias are very talented. But I think their lack of experience on the tour hurts them. They don't know how to get out of trouble. Their tactics hurt them.
So I would not put them on this Olympic team.

Derek.
Jun 5th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Gowza you aren't giving Nadia any credit. When she's playing her best she is way better then Maria. She's been in pressure situations before and is more experienced. She's wiser and knows what to do. If Nadia got picked she would surely rise to the occasion. ;) People you aren't giving Nadia enough credit.

goldenlox
Jun 12th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Maria has proven to me that she belongs on the Olympic team. She has now won 8 of her last 9 matches. She's in the top 15, while under the AER.
So I think the only question is if Vera or Lena L. is the 6th player.

Epigone
Jun 13th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Maria has proven to me that she belongs on the Olympic team. She has now won 8 of her last 9 matches. She's in the top 15, while under the AER.
So I think the only question is if Vera or Lena L. is the 6th player.Vera beat Maria on hardcourt, but lost to her on clay. I'd take Vera 1st, followed by Lena L and Masha. Vera has had fairly good results in both singles and doubles throughout the year, including a stretch of wins from Memphis to the 4th round of IW. A poor showing at the French Open shouldn't exclude her from the team.

goldenlox
Jun 13th, 2004, 07:44 PM
I think Maria has to be a part of the Olympic team. She's playing awesome tennis now.
I would play Maria in singles, ahead of Nadia.
I wish everyone could be on the team. But the goal is to win medals. And Maria has won 9 out of her last 10 matches. And beaten several strong players.

the cat
Jun 13th, 2004, 09:55 PM
I agree with gee-al. But the question is should the Masha's be considered as a Russian doubles team for Athens? Big Masha has the power while Little Masha has the quickness and good hands to volley with. :)

Nastyafan
Jun 14th, 2004, 01:34 AM
I think, the 4 highest in the ranking Russians should be chosen ( although I personally like Masha and Vera more than Sveta and Nadia) It would be very hard for explaining and substantiation any other choice. Indeed, today Masha seems in great form, but there are no guarantees, that she will be in the same form in two months or that Nadia will continue her slump. The only objective criterion. is the ranking. It's possible that to be not the best choice, but at least no one will be accused of bias and subjectivism. Look what happens here in GM - everyone has own top 10 and the disputes about that only aggravate tension. If that happens with the team no one will gain by it.

goldenlox
Jun 14th, 2004, 01:56 AM
I understand the idea - just use the rankings. But Maria is under the AER, or she would have played more tournaments.
Maria has won 9 of her last 10. And she has beaten Lena D. and Vera Z. recently.
I would put Maria on the Olympic team. She has earned it with her results.

Nastyafan
Jun 14th, 2004, 03:01 AM
Yes, probably, but not surely. It isn't a fact but someone's expectation. It could be my, your, Tarpishev's but not for everyone. And it's subjective.

goldenlox
Jun 14th, 2004, 03:09 AM
There will be 6 players on the team. So Maria should be on this team. It is a difficult decision. To me, Maria has earned her place on this team.

the cat
Jun 14th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Well said GL.

PointBlank
Jun 14th, 2004, 05:37 PM
people act like Lana isnt even a player :rolleyes: she was #7 and is in top 10 .. she is one of 3 players to beat Justine this year .. and she beat Justine when there was obviously nothin wrong with her at the time .. she can compete with the top which she has done all year

so Lana should be ahead of Maria.

Derek.
Jun 15th, 2004, 06:42 PM
For sure Sveta should be ahead of Maria she beat Maria last year at Wimby so maybe this should be the line-up:

Nastya
Elena
Nadia
Sveta

?????

no1mariafan
Jun 15th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Maria has improved a great deal since last year though! I would go for Nastya, Elena, Masha and Nadia probably.

goldenlox
Jun 15th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Sveta is playing singles. It's Nadia or Maria for the last spot.
Maria is playing better now. But it's a difficult decision.

Derek.
Jun 15th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Sveta is officially playing singles?

goldenlox
Jun 15th, 2004, 10:40 PM
It's not official. But it seems very likely to me.

Vass22
Jun 15th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Olympics are played on clay right?

- L i n a -
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Olympics are on Decoturf 2, the same surface as the US Open.

The Olympic decision still confuses me... as in I'm confused how many players can go for singles and doubles.

All I know is the Top 4 ranked Russians in singles deserve to go.

goldenlox
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:26 AM
"All I know is the Top 4 ranked Russians in singles deserve to go". - I agree. But Maria is under the AER. That makes this a difficult decision.
Right now, I would bet on Maria against Nadia or Vera. But the Olympics are 2 months away.

- L i n a -
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Masha has played a full season. I don't view the AER as an excuse. For example, Bovina has played 1 more tournament than her in the past 12 months.

goldenlox
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Bovina had an illness. Maria had to sit out tournaments because of a nonsense rule.

- L i n a -
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Both are unfortunate, but that's how things go.

ys
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Bovina had an illness. Maria had to sit out tournaments because of a nonsense rule.
It's not a nonsense rule. If you play more than you are allowed, you immedately and inevitably start shoplifting and smoking weed and that would be bad for Masha and her image.

- L i n a -
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Masha should have stuck to juniors. Play 40 tournaments a year like Cohen.

goldenlox
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:48 AM
Maria's team seems smarter and smarter. Although when I see Yuri hugging Max in the stands after Maria wins, I want Maria to get as far away from them as possible.
They're after her money.

- L i n a -
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:50 AM
EVERYONE is after her money. It's the only reason 99% of people know of Masha in any way.

the cat
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Sharapova should be on the Russian Olympic team ahead of Petrova and Zvonareva becaue she has a bigger upside than Nadia and Vera do and she's playing better tennis than they are as we move towards the Summer Olympics. But I think Maria would be hurt the least among the 3 players vying for the final Olympic singles spot if she's left off the team because playing for Russia means more to Petrova and Zvonareva than Sharapova because Nadia and Vera have always played team competitions for Russia while Masha has never played a team competition for Russia. But tennis in the Olympics is not a team competition, it's an individual competition and Mashara excells in that. :) Petrova's mother won a bronze medal in the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal. So I imagine Nadia would be crushed if she isn't selected for the Russian Olympic tennis team. :sad: I don't think Maria would be crushed to not be chosen for the Russian Olympic tennis team. I bet she would just focus on New Haven and the U.S. Open and be thankful she's not travelling all the way to Athens with the U.S. Open starting so soon after the Olympics. It will certainly be interesting to see what happens and who's chosen for the Russian Olympic tennis team.

And the AER has kept Sharapova from having the chance to have a higher ranking than Petrova, Kuznetsova and Zvonareva do.

Didn't Shamil Taripschev recently mention something about asking for an Olympic tennis wildcard for Elena Dementieva because she is the defending women's tennis singles silver medalist from Sydney? If Elena can get a wildcard another Olympic spot will open up for a Russina. I hope that happens.

goldenlox
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Maria is surrounded by adults who want her money. But Maria wants to get to #1. So she has that as her priority.
You can see that from her results.

ys
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Maria is surrounded by adults who want her money.
I think some of them would not mind some sex too..

- L i n a -
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:59 AM
You can't choose Masha because she has a "bigger upside". Masha is playing better than Vera and Nadya the last 3 weeks, but that may change. It almost certainly will with Nadya, and her schizophrenic play.

There will likely be 7 Russians in the Top 20 next week. Very talented players will be left out. It's unfortunate.

goldenlox
No, I think they want their percentage of her total earnings. The modeling stuff is for more money.
Parents and IMG and coaches want the money.

ys
You can't choose Masha because she has a "bigger upside". Masha is playing better than Vera and Nadya the last 3 weeks, but that may change. It almost certainly will with Nadya, and her schizophrenic play.
:lol: that was priceless :lol:

- L i n a -
I think some of them would not mind some sex too..
Meh... every tennis player can be used for sex.

Meghann was. And she was really icky then.

goldenlox
Jun 16th, 2004, 01:08 AM
Picking this team will be difficult. 2 months from now, the best Russians might not be on the team.

goldenlox
Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:56 PM
Is the Olympic team definate now? Nastya, Elena D., Sveta, and Nadia.
Nastya/Lena D., and Sveta/Lena L.?
I think Maria should be on this team.

kodeRED
Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:10 PM
how do u figure that the team is definite now.... anyway Tarpishev better put elena dementieva on the team or i will spaz... even tho she lost today she certainly is one of the top four russian women .... she is more dangerous than them all ... esp if she continues to work on her serve... go elena

the cat
Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:27 PM
I agree with GL about how Maria Sharapova should be on the Russina Olympic team. It's pretty obvious now.

goldenlox
Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:35 PM
I know if I was betting money, I would want Nastya and Maria playing for me.
They're the best Russian players right now.

Stephieva
Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:37 PM
on behalf of da cat...well said gee-al...:lol: :lol:

goldenlox
Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:51 AM
Bob Larson -

The Russians are even more interesting, because they have to choose six players to supply four singles players and two doubles teams. When Navratilova teamed up with Raymond, it left Svetlana Kuznetsova at loose ends. Navratilova made her decision before Kuznetsova had even started thinking about this year. She wasn't sure what to do, but thought it would be good to team up with Elena Likhovtseva so she'd have a chance of qualifying in doubles even if she couldn't in singles. In fact, they've been so successful as a team, that she thinks they'll stay together after the Olympics and will even qualify for the Masters. The Olympics is important to her: she thinks it will be a good experience.

It will help the Russians a lot if Kuznetsova can qualify in singles also. (As of now, the two singles players who are a lock are Myskina and Dementieva. Kuznetsova is the likely #3, but Nadia Petrova and Vera Zvonareva are also candidates.) That would mean that they would be carrying only Likhovtseva as a doubles player. That would let Zvonareva (if she doesn't qualify for singles) play with Myskina, her usual partner. The irony is that this leaves Petrova, currently their best doubles player, off the doubles team (and off the squad if she doesn't qualify in singles). But Petrova is their one top player who doesn't have a Russian partner (Dementieva plays doubles with Lina Krasnoroutskaya, and they would easily qualify if Russia were allowed more than two doubles teams).

the cat
Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:09 AM
You took the words right out of mouth, Steph. ;) :p Again well said GL about Sharapova deserving to be on the Russina Olympic team. No none else says it besides GL and I, two New Yorkers.

goldenlox
Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:11 AM
Must be the water then.

the cat
Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:05 PM
The water and cats. :cat: ;)

cool_olga
Jun 26th, 2004, 12:11 PM
So seems now Masha earned her place there. My thoughts now for team are:
In singles nastya and Maria S. are sure, also Lena D. and Sveta or Vera.
In doubles would be best to have Lena L./Sveta and nastya/Vera, these two making best results with each other recently.

goldenlox
Jun 27th, 2004, 05:38 AM
Does anyone know who is on the team?

Gowza
Jun 27th, 2004, 06:02 AM
dont know who is on the team but the leading contenders have had some ups and downs lately. myskina winning RG but going out early at wimby, dementieva being RU at RG and losing early at wimby, kuznetsova having a great year and winning her first title of the the year then losing early at wimby (sveta reaching the QFS at wimby last year and losing early it looks like she may have a little trouble with pressure - however i didnt see the match at wimby this year so my judgement may not be valid).

the next couple of players in contention imo were zvonareva and sharapova and those 2 players seem to be a bit more consistent and sharapova has had some really good results lately (RG QFs and the tournament win). zvonareva hasnt had as good a results as the others but in turn i dont think she has had as bad a losses as them either.

its kind of a gamble whoever is picked. do they pick a player who has great results but maybe isnt as consistent as someone else or do they go for a consistent player hoping that the good result they have been waiting for comes here. all players are capable of mixing it with the top players.

i am disappointed tho that players like bovina, safina and lina k havent put themselves in contention but injuries have played a part with them imo.

whoever plays good luck to them!

ys
Jun 28th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Does anyone know who is on the team?
Which team, Fed Cup or Olympics? Olympic team has already been announced. Fed Cup team has not.

goldenlox
Jun 28th, 2004, 03:17 AM
Is Maria on the Olympic team?

ys
Jun 28th, 2004, 03:24 AM
Is Maria on the Olympic team?
No.

goldenlox
Jun 28th, 2004, 03:27 AM
We all know that's crazy. Maria can win the gold. Plus she's going to be the best Russian player for at least the next 5 years.

Stephieva
Jun 28th, 2004, 03:37 AM
so...who are on da team...ys...?!?!
do ya know both songles and doubles?!?!
plz tell me...:worship:

ys
Jun 28th, 2004, 03:40 AM
We all know that's crazy. Maria can win the gold. Plus she's going to be the best Russian player for at least the next 5 years.
It is out of anyone's hands. The selection is 4 Top ranked players from June rankings plus doubles players. Period. She would have gotten in only if some players ranked before her made themselves unavailable. Why should they? They want it and they earned it. She still has a tiny chance to get there. Go and make Wimbledon finals or better win and I can bet any money that Shamil will request for a Wild Card for Masha and I am pretty sure it will be granted - because ITF, IOC and WTA are not nuts not to have Wimbledon champion or finalist who can't otherwise play because of technicality.

ys
Jun 28th, 2004, 03:41 AM
so...who are on da team...ys...?!?!
do ya know both songles and doubles?!?!
plz tell me...:worship:
it is known 99%. Singles - Top 4 players from June rankings - Nastya, Elena D. Sveta and Nadya. Doubles - Sveta and Elena L. plus - and that is that 1% of uncertainty - another team to be announced.

Stephieva
Jun 28th, 2004, 03:43 AM
thx ys...:kiss:

bubble
Jun 28th, 2004, 07:16 AM
It is out of anyone's hands. The selection is 4 Top ranked players from June rankings plus doubles players. Period. She would have gotten in only if some players ranked before her made themselves unavailable. Why should they? They want it and they earned it. She still has a tiny chance to get there. Go and make Wimbledon finals or better win and I can bet any money that Shamil will request for a Wild Card for Masha and I am pretty sure it will be granted - because ITF, IOC and WTA are not nuts not to have Wimbledon champion or finalist who can't otherwise play because of technicality.
Well, Masha still has a chance to earn the berth at wimbledon... good chance looking at her wide open draw....

Daniel
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:38 AM

I think Maria wil have chances in the future to go to the Olympics, but I think you are dreaming when you say Maria will be the best Russian player for the next 5 years. I will agree with you the day Maria wins a Grand Slam .

goldenlox
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Maybe I'm overstating it. But she's the best Russian on grass. We'll see what happens on hardcourt.

Daniel
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:49 AM
I agree with you on that. Hardcourt and the rest of the season will decide how she performs overall, but I admit Maria is the best on grass.

mostefan
Jun 28th, 2004, 12:00 PM
I've added a translation attempt for the only published
Tarpishchev's interview on Olympics team
to another thread, http://wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=3722993&postcount=5867

Daniel
Jun 28th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Thanks mostefan :)

the cat
Jun 28th, 2004, 03:43 PM
The Russian Olympic team doesn't impress me too much. All 4 singles players could lose early. All of them are capable of playing bad tennis if the conditions aren't right.

And to go by the WTA rankings isn't fair when a players number of tournaments is limited by the well intended but misguided WTA AER. I can only conclude that Maria Sharapova isn't on the Russian Olympic tennis team because Jennifer Capriati had problems as a teenager. :rolleyes: Because Sharapova's ranking would certainly be high enough for her to make the Russian Olympic tennis team if she was allowed to to play the same number of tournaments as Petrova, Kuznetsova and Zvonareva play.

I hope ITF will award Masha a wildcard into the Olympics.

ys
Jun 28th, 2004, 04:06 PM
I can only conclude that Maria Sharapova isn't on the Russian Olympic tennis team because Jennifer Capriati had problems as a teenager. :rolleyes:
Maria Sharapova is not on the Russian Olympic tennis team because she had no great results to speak of by now and by selection time and because her rankings was not good enough. Period. Stop your BS.

I hope ITF will award Masha a wildcard into the Olympics.
I am all for that. She is too winnable matches away from having a good case to ask for it.

goldenlox
Jun 28th, 2004, 04:15 PM
It's true that Maria's results are not strong. I was saying that all year. But I want medals.
So Loit, and this spring mean nothing to me now. Maria has improved.

the cat
Jun 28th, 2004, 05:32 PM
ys, I think Maria is only 1 winnable match away from asking for an Olympic wildcard.

ys
Jun 28th, 2004, 06:37 PM
ys, I think Maria is only 1 winnable match away from asking for an Olympic wildcard.
No, not really. I believe Wimbledon semis alone won't let her pass Vera in the rankings, and that is a precondition, I believe, to ask for the WC. She MUST become the highest ranked player not to be selected for Olympics.

ys
Jun 28th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Correction. Semifinals will be enough for Masha to pass Vera on rankings.

ys
Jun 28th, 2004, 09:23 PM
It looks like Tarpishev faces a tough choice whom to select for next week. Nadya is not available. Maria is likely to play well into the second week of W and that pretty much rules her out of Argentina. Sveta and Lena L. will defintely be selected for doubles, but Sveta staying till Sunday on grass makes her an unlikely choice for singles.

What is left? Injured Nastya and Elena D.? Vera?

David Barker
Jun 28th, 2004, 09:28 PM
It looks like Tarpishev faces a tough choice whom to select for next week. Nadya is not available. Maria is likely to play well into the second week of W and that pretty much rules her out of Argentina. Sveta and Lena L. will defintely be selected for doubles, but Sveta staying till Sunday on grass makes her an unlikely choice for singles.

What is left? Injured Nastya and Elena D.? Vera?

Not sure Elena D will want to play after Kleinova, then withdrawing from the doubles with Lina K.
I think will be Ana Vera Sveta and Elena L . Would like Maria, Ana, and Elena D/Lina K 4 the doubles...... I can dream!!!

goldenlox
Jun 28th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Nastya and Elena are injured. I would send Sveta, Vera, Lena L., and Lina K.

Stephieva
Jun 28th, 2004, 09:40 PM
ys...why is nadia not available?!?!

ys
Jun 28th, 2004, 09:50 PM
ys...why is nadia not available?!?!
Visa problems.

Stephieva
Jun 28th, 2004, 09:52 PM
visa problem?!?! :confused:
that's too bad...

thx ys...:)

cool_olga
Jun 28th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Visa? :eek:

Suprised a bit Masha is not in the team, I think she is better than Nadia. But maybe Shamil knows she will get this WC and not taking her. But also I would take Vera not Nadia...Talking about Olympics here

goldenlox
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:10 PM
It's so close in the rankings. I would love for Vera to go. And Nadia. And Lena B.
But everyone can't make the team. The goal is to win medals. The goal is always to win. Always.

cool_olga
Jun 29th, 2004, 11:47 AM
But I think Vera deserves to go, she is consistent. Nadia can always loose in first round. About Lena B. Tarpishev probably even not think. So many Russians now, really hard to choose the 4 but Nastya is one going for sure.

Daniel
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:42 PM
I also agree Vera deserves to win, but rankings say only : Nastya, Elena, Nadya and Svetlana are going. I dont understand why all the things of people wanting Maria to go to the Olympics. She is that good but please it is not her time yet.

goldenlox
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:50 PM
As far as the Olympics, as I said before, Maria has to be on the Olympic team. You want to win medals.
Maria has a great chance to win a medal.

ys
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:52 PM
I think that Olympics will award a WC to the highest ranked player who could not be selected because of phenomenal strength and depth of the WTA tennis in the country.. And that player is now Masha.

the cat
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Does anyone know how mnay Olympic tennis wildcards are given out? It's obvious that Maria Sharapova deserves one of those wildcards. But the question is does Masha really want to go to the Olympics or would she rather perpare for the 2004 U.S. Open by training and playing tournamnets in North America? I haven't heard any recent comments from Mashara about the Olympics.

goldenlox
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:57 PM
When Maria is really on, you can see the greatness. It's all there. The athleticism, the mechanics, the hard work, the mental toughness.
It's obvious what we're watching. Maria can be an all time great. She has to be at the Olympics.

the cat
Jun 29th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Daniel, it looks to be that this is Maria's time or atleast the early stages of her time. :) Sure Masha is only 17 but getting to the quarterfinals of Roland Garros on red clay her worst surface and then making the semifinals of Wimbledon on a grass surface proves that she is a very good tennis player who deserves to be on the Olympic team. And if she doesn't get offered a wildcard into the Olympics there should be an investigation.

goldenlox
Jun 29th, 2004, 05:05 PM
cat, did you see that 3rd set against Ai? That's what I was talking about after the Hantuchova match. Maria has greatness in her. It's there. And she's young and hungry.

-Em-
Jun 29th, 2004, 05:24 PM
I think there's nothing to worry about when it comes to Maria. After such a performance at Wimbledon, i'm like 100% sure she'll be given a wild card...

the cat
Jun 29th, 2004, 06:08 PM
No I didn't see any tennis today GL. I'm out and about and my cable isn't set up so I can't tape any matches either. :(

As for Maria, she has a long way to go to become a top tennis players. But she seems to be well on ehr way to the top of women's tennis. :)

goldenlox
Jun 29th, 2004, 06:13 PM
You haven't seen Maria's improvement. You won't believe your eyes when you do get to watch her.

the cat
Jun 29th, 2004, 11:16 PM
I watched ther match at Mario's Restaurant in the afternoon. Maria competed well. But it's easy to see why defensive players like Ai Sugiyama give her trouble. Masha tends to go for too much on alot of her shots. I'm hoping this is something she will improve on. And Sugiyama was tired and dejected in the third set and that shows me that Mashara's physical style of play eventually took a toll on Sugiyama.

Daniel
Jun 30th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Daniel, it looks to be that this is Maria's time or atleast the early stages of her time. :) Sure Masha is only 17 but getting to the quarterfinals of Roland Garros on red clay her worst surface and then making the semifinals of Wimbledon on a grass surface proves that she is a very good tennis player who deserves to be on the Olympic team. And if she doesn't get offered a wildcard into the Olympics there should be an investigation.
I didn't know that. so i guess Masha must get a WC to go to Athens. does it mean Russia can send 5 players??? can other countries do the same, i mean the USA could also gice a WC lets say to Meghan or is it coz of Maria's latest success??

mostefan
Jun 30th, 2004, 02:09 PM
does it mean Russia can send 5 players??? can other countries do the same??
There's some fog with the rules, don't know them exactly,
and nobody explained so far,
but I've heard of up to 6 singles players per country
including WCs (4 for direct access).

Daniel
Jun 30th, 2004, 02:15 PM
There's some fog with the rules, don't know them exactly,
and nobody explained so far,
but I've heard of up to 6 singles players per country
including WCs (4 for direct access).
/thanks Mostefan for the answer. So I guess Russia has a chance of sending 5 players to Athens,. but if you can send up to 6 singles players then why not to give a WC to Vera Zvonareva also, then Russia has more chances of getting a medal. :D

mostefan
Jun 30th, 2004, 02:29 PM
So I guess Russia has a chance of sending 5 players to Athens,. but if you can send up to 6 singles players then why not to give a WC to Vera Zvonareva also, then Russia has more chances of getting a medal. :D
The decision belongs to a Tripartite Committee, afaik
(see e.g. http://wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=3732376&postcount=30).
I heard about 48 places by direct acception (by country?)
and some number of special entries for weak countries (don't know the term),
so total number of WCs is surely less than 16 (64-48).
Will the Committee like to give more chances to Russia? Hardly ever :)

Verba
Jul 1st, 2004, 07:36 AM
I heard that Tarishev hopes that Lena D might be given a WC as a sylver medal winner in 2000...Then he can take one more girl...

Daniel
Jul 1st, 2004, 09:12 AM
that sounds good then Maria goes to Athens

Stephieva
Jul 1st, 2004, 08:28 PM
So...LenaD/Anastasia is another doubles team.
Anyway...Nadia is a great doubles player.
Nadia/LenaD used to play doubles in Junior together and did well.
Why don't they choose LenaD/Nadia or Ana/Nadia? :confused:
Because of bad relationship?

jklense
Jul 1st, 2004, 08:55 PM
Why don't they choose LenaD/Nadia or Ana/Nadia? :confused:
a good question phps, but rather theoretical now - up to the next Olympics :p

Epigone
Jul 1st, 2004, 10:45 PM
Is Tarpischev out to mess with Vera's head? :fiery:

First, he hangs her out to dry in the Fed Cup tie against France last year, then he was quoted as saying that Vera and Nastya were already selected for the Olympic team, then he shows faith in Vera by playing her in a crucial Fed Cup rubber against Australia, and now he is rewarding her loyalty to Russian tennis by omitting her from the Olympic team :confused:.

Vera is the 4th ranked Russian doubles player, and since Nadia is playing singles, the final doubles spot should have gone to Vera. I could understand (although wouldn't agree with) selecting Maria in singles and Nadia in doubles, but Nadia in singles and Elena D in doubles is a joke. Vera's doubles results this year should have guaranteed her a doubles spot, but Tarpischev picks Elena D? :shrug: Vera and Nastya are doubles partners, they understand each other, and they should be given the chance to represent Russia at the Olympics as partners.

And how is Vera responding to Tarpischev's slap in the face? She has agreed to rock up to Argentina next week to play Fed Cup. :yeah: to Vera for showing class, despite being used. Since Nastya might be injured, Vera will probably have to play two matches on clay, then try to prepare for the hardcourt season. I wish that people would show her the same degree of loyalty as she is showing to Russian tennis.

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2004, 10:51 PM
If Russia is allowed to send 7 players, because of a WC for Maria, then I agree, Vera should be on the team.

Epigone
Jul 1st, 2004, 11:08 PM
If Russia is allowed to send 7 players, because of a WC for Maria, then I agree, Vera should be on the team.Vera and Maria have both been omitted, and I don't know if they will be allowed to change the team to include either of these players.

As it stands, Russia is only sending five players, which I think is ridiculous. Elena has a good chance in singles, so somebody else should be allowed to share in the joy of the Olympics. Vera has served her country well, she has some pretty good doubles results this season, so she deserves a shot at a medal. Maria should be awarded a wildcard, and then all of the Russians who have performed consistently well this season will be rewarded by being able to participate at the Olympics.

ys
Jul 1st, 2004, 11:25 PM
Epigone, I am pretty sure that an option of going to Olympics for doubles only was offered to Vera. I suspect that she decided that it is not worth to have two jetlags for doubles only just before US Open.

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2004, 11:27 PM
I would go, it's the Olympics. Vera's mom won a medal.

Epigone
Jul 2nd, 2004, 12:49 AM
Yep, Vera's mother won a medal in hockey, and I bet that Vera would also love to be an Olympian.

It's true that Vera may not want to be jetlagged, but she is willing to fly to Argentina next week to play Fed Cup, and that's in spite of being rejected. What's more, playing Fed Cup means that she'll go from grass, to clay, to hardcourt in a very short space of time, which is hardly ideal preparation for the US hardcourt season. Some players may not play the Olympics because of commercial considerations, or because they want to prepare for Grand Slams, but I don't think that Vera is one of them. I believe she is the type of person who would march proudly behind her nation's flag at the opening ceremony of the Olympics.

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2004, 12:51 AM
We don't know if Vera was offered doubles, or not. Mom won a bronze for field hockey in Moscow, 1980.

Sveta's mom was a champion cyclist who couldn't go to L.A. in 1984, because of politics.
So Sveta really, really wants to go.

Verba
Jul 2nd, 2004, 06:16 AM
Now I beleive that Maria will be given a WC...
It'd be really crazy if a girl playing in Wimby final doesn't go to Olympics...
No one would understand...

ys
Jul 2nd, 2004, 07:18 AM
I would go, it's the Olympics. Vera's mom won a medal.
I do not think it is that simple. Vera is at critical junction of her career. For the first time in her career she is not improving for already quite significant period of time. She seems to hit the plateau of her tennis abilities. Before that it was a very steady improvement. I think figuring out what to do and doing well on the most important surface of the Tour is more important than Olympic doubles. Qualifying for Masters is more important.

Besides, with teams like Williams sisters, Raymond-Nav, Sveta-Lena, Mauresmo-Loit, her chances to win a medal in doubles are, to be honest, pretty slim. I think she made the right choice if it was her choice.

Daniel
Jul 2nd, 2004, 03:58 PM
Good luck to the team !!!!! :bigclap: :kiss: :bounce: :worship: :D

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2004, 05:15 PM
Olympic Torch to Return to Moscow

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/misc/spacer.gif
Published: July 2, 2004

Filed at 7:57 a.m. ET

MOSCOW (AP) -- The last time the Olympic torch burned in Moscow, it was a rare bright spot in a notoriously dismal city. When it returns on Saturday, it may seem dim amid the Russian capital's new neon and giant billboards.

Since the flame left the city at the end of the 1980 summer Olympics, Moscow has undergone an extraordinary transformation -- and the winding route that 120 runners in the torch bearers will take covers some of the city's most-changed territory.

They'll pass once-dowdy apartment buildings now being reborn as luxury dwellings with Manhattan-level prices. The final leg heads down Tverskaya (formerly Gorky) Street -- where restaurants that never close fill storefronts that once never seemed to be open -- and past Europe's largest underground shopping mall into Red Square, where Lenin's mausoleum stands like an afterthought rather than the center of attention.

With Moscow's economy booming after a decade of post-Soviet uncertainties and missteps, the city is newly ambitious and the torch relay underlines its latest striving -- to host the 2012 Olympics.

In May, Moscow became one of the five finalists for the games, a wild-card choice that surprised many, and the city is putting on a full-court press to counter doubts about Moscow's organizational capacities. Some 5,000 people will be working on the relay day to pull it off smoothly and the city is spending some 20 million rubles (US$650,000) on the event.

Perhaps to get the message across, the relay begins and ends with administrators rather than athletes. Russian Olympic Committee president Leonid Tyagachev begins the run at the vast Victory Park and Deputy Mayor Valery Shantsev covers the final step from Lenin's mausoleum to the Kremlin's soaring Spassky Tower.

In between, the carriers will include some of Russia's most renowned athletes, including hockey legend Pavel Bure, one-time world figure-skating champion Maria Butyrskaya and French Open tennis finalist Elena Dementieva.

Much of the route follows the Moscow River, which despite its pollution and general scenic deficits is a key symbol of the city's bid for the games -- which it pitches as the ``Olympic River'' concept.

The runners won't be revisiting Moscow's past Olympic glories; almost none of the venues of the 1980 games are along the route. These, in general, tell a different story: of troubles and failure, rather than success.

The huge covered arena that was a showpiece of 1980 is still in use, but its aura is diminished by the small shops that are wedged into its corridors and rooms in an effort to earn the stadium extra income.

And to the west of the city center, the sprawling rowing canal of 1980 is an eerily silent spot, its spectator stands crumbling, its judging towers rusted and listing -- a ruin as poignant, if less renowned, than the ones that hover above Athens.

Daniel
Jul 2nd, 2004, 05:24 PM
Oh my, Maria Butyrskaya :D Last time I saw her was on tv in the US. She was a good figure skater :hearts:

-Em-
Jul 2nd, 2004, 06:04 PM
Oh my, Maria Butyrskaya :D Last time I saw her was on tv in the US. She was a good figure skater :hearts:

yeah she was the best!!!!!!!
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Marat Safin fan
Jul 2nd, 2004, 08:55 PM
Does everyone know that the places have be officially confirmed on the ITF website, Nadia, Elena, Nastya and Sveta.

Marat Safin fan
Jul 2nd, 2004, 08:56 PM
oh plus elena L for doubles.

ys
Jul 2nd, 2004, 10:52 PM
Tarpishev has confirmed that Masha can't and won't play Olympics.. Everything is set and final.

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/default.asp?date=2004/7/3&id=158631

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2004, 11:35 PM
I think Maria was Russia's best chance to win a medal.

the cat
Jul 3rd, 2004, 12:32 AM
It's just ridiculous that Sharpaova isn't on the Russian Olympic team. :mad: Is there a chance that she cans till get a wildcard or have Dementieva offered a wildcard as the defending silver medalist? It's absurd to think that a 2004 Wimbledon finalist won't be offered a spot to play Olympic tennis or atleast a wildcard into the draw. :( The credibilty of Olympic tennis takes a serious blow with Sharapova not in the event.

goldenlox
Jul 3rd, 2004, 12:35 AM
It's just ridiculous that Sharpaova isn't on the Russian Olympic team. :mad: .I guess you mean Sharapova. Maria would be a great asset to the Russian team.
Who knew Maria would get so good, so quickly. I didn't see this coming.
But Maria is the real deal.

Stephieva
Jul 3rd, 2004, 01:04 AM
It's like Shamil said 14th June ranking is counted.
So...even though Masha wins tomorrow Masha can't get a wildcard as her ranking on June 14th isn't enough?!?!
I'm not sure if I understand this right because I use online translation.

Nastyafan
Jul 3rd, 2004, 02:18 AM
It's like Shamil said 14th June ranking is counted.
So...even though Masha wins tomorrow Masha can't get a wildcard as her ranking on June 14th isn't enough?!?!
I'm not sure if I understand this right because I use online translation.You have realized right. He says that according to the rules of ITF the ranking from 14.06. is decisive and they can do nothing any more
He says nothing about WC. Is anyone sure that there are WC for Olimpics at all?

AnDyDog621
Jul 3rd, 2004, 03:37 PM
So Maria won now...she got to get a WC now right??

saki
Jul 3rd, 2004, 04:59 PM
Nothing has been said anywhere about Olympic singles WCs which doesn't bode too well (although, Arantxa must have got one for doubles, since she can't possibly be ranked high enough to have got in on ranking...) and the ITF seems to be sticking quite rigidly to their rules - insisting on Testud rather than Golovin, for example. It seems incredible that the Wimbledon champion won't get to go to the Olympics but I do get the feeling that the ITF isn't going to budge on this issue, although if they do it for anyone, it'll be Maria.

goldenlox
Jul 3rd, 2004, 05:42 PM
I think Maria would win the gold medal, if they allowed the Wimbledon champion to play.

Daniel
Jul 4th, 2004, 08:56 AM
I dont know if Maria is going but if so then Russian has more chances of getting gold in Athens

cool_olga
Jul 4th, 2004, 05:55 PM

She was incrdible :D Now it's Sokolova.

I still hope Masha can get WC, as Grand Slam champ I think ITF would give her :confused:

mostefan
Jul 5th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Does everyone know that the places have be officially confirmed on the ITF website, Nadia, Elena, Nastya and Sveta.
http://www.itftennis.com/olympics/news/newsarticle.asp?id=12112
It's just ridiculous that Sharpaova isn't on the Russian Olympic team. :mad: Is there a chance that she cans till get a wildcard or have Dementieva offered a wildcard as the defending silver medalist? ...
The official list has all the 64 places busy, no more WCs speculation.
Yet, there could be injuries of course, and who knows the real decision in that case? (Official statements are still about the next by rankings as of June 14th, but I'm not sure).

Daniel
Jul 5th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Thanks Mostefan . So the speculation is over. Good luck to the team :D

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2004, 04:08 PM
I guess we have to save Maria for Fed Cup.

mostefan
Jul 5th, 2004, 04:17 PM
I guess we have to save Maria for Fed Cup.
:confused: for the Finals, you mean? ;)

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2004, 04:31 PM
For when we need to beat Mauresmo, like last year.

mostefan
Jul 5th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Lena D is the best fit for the task, remember RG for example :banana:

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Lena was there, but didn't play. That whole tie was a mess.

mostefan
Jul 5th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Lena was there, but didn't play. That whole tie was a mess.
We surely went :topic: and have some mess here as well ;)
You speak of FedCup SF, as I get. Yes, that was a :sad: story.
Lena just warmed-up Nadya for the doubles as it turned out... :sad:
But I say of Lena's success in struggling Amelie - at times ;)

Daniel
Jul 6th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Good luck to all the Russian team :banana:

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2004, 04:22 AM
So it's Nastya, Lena, Sveta, and Nadia. I'm sure they all understand what an honor it is to represent your country in the Olympics.

-Em-
Jul 12th, 2004, 12:29 PM
So it's Nastya, Lena, Sveta, and Nadia. I'm sure they all understand what an honor it is to represent your country in the Olympics.

i'm sure there's no need to worry about that. For every athlete going to the Olympics is one of the biggest dreams. And for these girls the dream has come true. i'm like 100% sure they completely understand that it's not only an honour but also a great responsibility to represent their country in Athens...
Anyway, another important factor might be that they'll want to prove that they totally deserved going there, and that it was a good choice to pick them...

tenn_ace
Jul 19th, 2004, 04:07 AM
Lena and Vera are playing doubles together... has it been decided that they would play as a team in Athens?

Stephieva
Jul 19th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Lena and Vera are playing doubles together... has it been decided that they would play as a team in Athens?I don't think so but maybe it's possible.

I think LinaK and Ana don't play here so both LenaD and VeraZ don't have partners.
And if it's still like the first plan LenaD/Ana in Olympics doubles and they need to play together in San Diego and Montreal...VeraZ can pair with LinaK too.
I think 4 of them have quite good relationship. :)

ys
Jul 19th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Lena and Vera are playing doubles together... has it been decided that they would play as a team in Athens?
I don't think so. Vera is scheduled to play Cincinnatti, which means that going to Olympics for doubles only is not in her plans. It's only because Nastya and Lina are not playing, Vera and Elena teamed up. I though love this combo. This would be second favourite all Russian team, next only to the team of opposites, that played one match in Miami once.. :hearts:

deckham
Jul 19th, 2004, 04:42 AM
i think russia has more than proved they are for real and are a threat in the tennis world....
ofcourse all of us know it in this thread... but i'm sick of the non-believers around here that think russia is overrated....
lol.... i can't think of one of the players that hasn't at least earned that ranking.

6 of the top 13 players are russian...... just wow.... :)

goldenlox
Jul 19th, 2004, 05:10 AM
If Vera is offered a doubles spot on the Olympic team, she should think hard before she turns it down.
You don't know if she will make a future Olympic team. These Tier III's come and go. Olympics are special.

ys
Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:23 PM
Please, I really want Nadya out of Olympic team, the way she plays.. :mad: :fiery:

the cat
Jul 24th, 2004, 08:22 PM
That aren't going to change the team now ys. Nadia might surprise you and make a run at a medal. She should certainly be a very good hard court player with her serve and power off the ground. If Elena Dementieva had Nadia's fine serve Elena would be a great player. :D

goldenlox
Jul 24th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Nadia's mother won a bronze medal in a relay race at the Montreal 1976 Olympic games.
Vera's mom won an Olympic medal in field hockey.
Sveta's mom was a world champion cyclist.

ys
Jul 26th, 2004, 12:51 AM
That aren't going to change the team now ys. Nadia might surprise you and make a run at a medal. She should certainly be a very good hard court player with her serve and power off the ground. :D
Unfortunately not. Good hardcourt player has to have quick legs, unless your hand-eye coordination is as good as one of Lindsay. Nadya's serve is the only part of her game that can work well on hardcourts. Her medium pace topspin-heavy grounstrokes won't impress any top player on hardcourts. With what she has now she is hopeless on hardcourts.

goldenlox
Jul 26th, 2004, 01:15 AM
She played well in Miami.

ys
Jul 26th, 2004, 01:17 AM
She played well in Miami.
Elena D. had her soft ground game for breakfast.

goldenlox
Jul 26th, 2004, 01:22 AM
You were pretty confident in Nadia that week. Shush.

ys
Jul 26th, 2004, 01:28 AM
You were pretty confident in Nadia that week. Shush. I was confident. Up to Lindsay's match. I know Nadya's limits. There is nothing - NOTHING - that she does on hardcourts better than Lindsay. Nadya is a solid hardcourt player, but she is the only Russian Olympic selection who, I think, is completely chanceless in Athens. Even this week, I think, was an evidence that Vera would have been a much better selection than Nadya. And we haven't seen Masha on hardcourts yet. I think that other three selections in Russian singles are every bit deserving and meaningful. Nadya's selection is pure eligibility, nothing else.

goldenlox
Jul 26th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Vera looked very good. That made me very anxious to see her again.
Nadia's going to be in Athens. So I hope she does well there.

saab95
Jul 26th, 2004, 03:02 PM
27-07-04 or 02-08-04 13-00 msk
conference on-line in russian with Shamil

Встреча с Шамилем Тарпищевым
Начало в 13:00, 2 августа 2004 г.
http://www.aif.ru/conf/
http://www.tarpischev.com/index.php

You can never know what he'll do. ;) and when :rolleyes:

ys
Jul 27th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Nadya on her current form has no business going to Athens.

goldenlox
Jul 27th, 2004, 11:10 PM
The rules for choosing the team aren't fair. But Nadia's going.
She's won 5 doubles titles, but she's only playing singles.

bubble
Aug 4th, 2004, 05:58 AM
By the way, which clothing company is sponsoring the Russian Olympics team? Hope that it's Fila...
Have you guys seen Jennifer Cap's new outfit? It's very Russian looking,.... :lol:

AKTW
Aug 4th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Yes, I saw it, too. Why is Jen wearing it? :p

the cat
Aug 4th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Petrova has a soft ground game, ys? That's hard to imagine.

ys
Aug 6th, 2004, 04:17 AM
OK, overall, the hardcourt season so far convinced me that our selected team is next to the possible best. Nastya and Lena D. proved that they are in very good form, and I would not read too much from Lena's yesterday's loss, just like from Sveta's inconsistent play. In Athens they will play like there is no tomorrow. The only change that I would have made is replacing Nadya with Vera. Vera is probably hitting the best hardcourt ball from all our girls. This is really silly. Should Vera have beaten Masha at RG, Vera would have been on the team. Should Masha have beaten Paola at RG, Masha would have been on the team. And now neather of them is going, while Nadya who's done next to nothing in big events in last 52 weeks goes. Nothing against Nadya, but on current form I wish it was Vera. Or Masha.

goldenlox
Aug 6th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Here's my view - Nastya is the best Russian now.
With Maria losing 2 of her last 3 matches, I think Lena D., Vera, and Maria are close.
Sveta and Nadia can play at that level, but they didn't recently.
It's too bad everyone in the top 15 can't play. But each woman on this team will have to play her best.

Epigone
Aug 6th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Bepa deserved a doubles spot, based on her form in both singles and doubles this year. The fact that Nastya/Lena D lost to Bepa/Lena L recently shows that the second Olympic doubles pair will struggle.

The End

goldenlox
Aug 8th, 2004, 02:25 AM
In the last Tier I before the Olympics, Nastya, Lena D., Nadia, Vera, Lena B., and Maria all played.
And only Lena L. reached the final.

Daniel
Aug 8th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Good luck to all the girls!!!!! :kiss:

Marat Safin fan
Aug 8th, 2004, 10:35 AM
I really wish Vera was going instead of Nadia!!!!!! oh and Sveta to win!

goldenlox
Aug 8th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Right now, I couldn't even rank the players. Lena L. changed coaches, and she outplayed Nastya in a huge match.
But Nadia just missed beating her. All of the top 8 Russians are very close.
Nastya, Vera, Maria, Nadia, Sveta, and all 3 Lenas.
You have to put Nastya on top, but not off last night.

Daniel
Aug 10th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Go Anastasia :kiss: :hearts:

goldenlox
Aug 11th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Olympic seeds -

Women’s Singles

1. Justine Henin-Hardenne (BEL)
2. Amelie Mauresmo (FRA)
3. Anastasia Myskina (RUS)
4. Elena Dementieva (RUS)
5. Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS)
6. Venus Williams (USA)
7. Paola Suarez (ARG)
8. Ai Sugiyama (JPN)
9. Nadia Petrova (RUS)
10. Patty Schnyder (SUI)
11. Francesca Schiavone (ITA)
12. Karolina Sprem (CRO)
13. Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi (ISR)
14. Silvia Farina Elia (ITA)
15. Magdalena Maleeva (BUL)
16. Chanda Rubin (USA)

Women’s Doubles

1. Svetlana Kuznetsova/Elena Likhovtseva (RUS)
2. Conchita Martinez/Virginia Ruano Pascual (ESP)
3. Martina Navratilova/Lisa Raymond (USA)
4. Alicia Molik/Rennae Stubbs (AUS)
5. Shinobu Asagoe/Ai Sugiyama (JPN)
6. Myriam Casanova/Patty Schnyder (SUI)
7. Paola Suarez/Patricia Tarabini (ARG)
8. Li Ting/Sun Tian Tian (CHN)

the cat
Aug 11th, 2004, 11:29 PM
The opportunity is there for a couple of the Russina's to medal in Athens. And if there are more withdrawals as I expect then the Russian girls chances to medal will increase. :)

Derek.
Aug 12th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Good luck to all the Russians (especially Nadia cause she needs it the most :p)! :D

Daniel
Aug 12th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Main Draw

Henin-Hardenne
Strycova

Vento-Kabchi
Kremer

Pratt
Casanova

Garbin
Smashnova-Pistolesi

Petrova
Sucha

Medina Garrigues
Pierce

Matevzic
Obata

Czink
V Williams
-------------------
Myskina
Serna

Brandi
Kostanic

Kapros
Daniilidou

Koukalova
Maleeva

Schiavone
Asagoe

Kanepi
Cho

Jankovic
Zuluaga

Dechy
Suarez
-------------------
Sugiyama
Zheng

Perebiynis
Randriantefy

Tanasugarn
Widjaja

Dulko
Sprem

Farina Elia
Testud

Kurhajcova
Raymond

Sanchez Lorenzo
Srebotnik

Molik
Dementieva
-------------------
Kuznetsova
Diaz-Oliva

Morigami
Benesova

Hantuchova
Schaul

Mandula
Schnyder

Rubin
Stosur

Black
Pisnik

Jugic-Salkic
Camerin

Martinez
Mauresmo

Go Nastya :kiss:

ys
Aug 12th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Report about preparation of Russian players at Athens, mostly focusing on Sveta with another little interview with her at the end..

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/default.asp?date=2004/8/13&id=162291

They seem to be clueless though. They are very affirmative on Nastya arriving to Athens tomorrow. Did Nastya promise them to tank? :confused:

fresh2flash
Aug 13th, 2004, 12:06 AM
It's good that Volodya Pesnya is there. So the coverage will be better in SS than in SE. *Pf-f-f at Dzichkovsky writing about tennis* :)

saab95
Aug 13th, 2004, 12:34 AM
It's good that Volodya Pesnya is there.

May be.
But I'm interesting how Nastya'll get Athens on friday?! :)

Stephieva
Aug 13th, 2004, 12:40 AM
I tried online translation but I don't understand what they said about LenaD.
So...has Lena been in Athens yet? :confused:

ys
Aug 13th, 2004, 01:13 AM
I tried online translation but I don't understand what they said about LenaD.
So...has Lena been in Athens yet? :confused:
The only thing they said is that Lena D., Lena L. and Marat must have arrived to Athens today.

Stephieva
Aug 13th, 2004, 01:15 AM
The only thing they said is that Lena D., Lena L. and Marat must have arrived to Athens today.Thank you - ys.
I can't believe Lena waited till today to come to Athens. :(
And her RD1 is tough. :o

ys
Aug 13th, 2004, 01:17 AM
I really don't know what to expect now. All our players HATE hot weather. And it willbe pretty much like playing on frying pan. Lena and Nastya should really focus on keeping it short. The weather is favouriing players who are better accustomed to hotter weather - Venus, first of all. I would not be surprised to see, say, Henin out in the second round already. Vento is solid on hardcourts and likes heat. Henin can't be in a physical condition appropriate for playing in a very hot weather. I already can see an upset here. The same, unfortunately, probably goes for Elena D. against Molik match. Molik loves heat. Elena hates it.

Stephieva
Aug 13th, 2004, 01:23 AM
The same, unfortunately, probably goes for Elena D. against Molik match. Molik loves heat. Elena hates it.:tears: :crying2: :bigcry:
Lena will be heartbroken then.:hysteric::hysteric::hysteric:

ys
Aug 13th, 2004, 01:24 AM
:tears: :crying2: :bigcry:
Lena has to do it quickly in straight sets or she will be cooked out there.

Stephieva
Aug 13th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Lena has to do it quickly in straight sets or she will be cooked out there.I wonder why Lena didn't come to Athens before. :rolleyes:
At least to get used to weather and the courts.
Why did she wait till today?
She will be busy with the ceremony tomorrow.
Then one day left and Sunday she plays. :(

ys
Aug 13th, 2004, 01:32 AM
I wonder why Lena didn't come to Athens before. :rolleyes:
At least to get used to weather and the courts.
Why did she wait till today?
She will be busy with the ceremony tomorrow.
Then one day left and Sunday she plays. :(
She might have to play only on Monday, we don't know..

Stephieva
Aug 13th, 2004, 01:34 AM
She might have to play only on Monday, we don't know..It's not very different.
Lena has plenty of time to come to Athens...
I'm very worried now. :(

ys
Aug 13th, 2004, 01:40 AM
And by the way, I don't see Nastya getting past Danilidou either. That will be a hell of a match for her.

Stephieva
Aug 13th, 2004, 01:45 AM
And me thinks Ana will be tired.
If Ana plays in Sopot till Saturday..
Ana will have difficult time for sure. :scared:

goldenlox
Aug 13th, 2004, 01:48 AM
Should we all have a group cry? Poor Vera. She didn't get to play in Athens.

.:hysteric::hysteric::hysteric:

Stephieva
Aug 13th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Gee-al...I'm glad you copied and pasted my icons. :banana:
Damn honored. :aparty:

ys
Aug 13th, 2004, 01:59 AM
Seriously, I think that our best bet at Olympics is Sveta. She is rested, she is motivated, the surface is perfect for her. She is physically strongest among our girls and that will count for something in Athens. I don't see her losing to Mauresmo in quarters. The only matchup in which I see her losing before finals is if she plays Elena D. in semis. Sveta though might be hurt by very possible deep advancement in doubles.

goldenlox
Aug 13th, 2004, 02:01 AM
I think Nastya will get at least to the semis. For Lena, it's a very tough first round.
But I'm optimistic.

goldenlox
Aug 13th, 2004, 02:05 AM
Molik preparing to court a medal as more top seeds fall off the tree
Tennis
Friday, 13 August 2004

Sky-high on confidence and in career-best form, Alicia Molik has arrived in Athens in the mood for some shopping.

She plans on treating herself to an Olympic tennis medal.

Molik, fresh from tournament success in Stockholm and having risen to her highest-ever ranking of world No24, says she's ready to capitalise on the absence of a clutch of stars, including former gold medallists Serena Williams and Jennifer Capriati, who both withdrew this week.

Williams (knee), the 2000 Olympic doubles champion and Capriati (hamstring), the 1992 singles winner, join fellow former world No1s Lindsay Davenport and Kim Clijsters and Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova, who didn't qualify for Russia, in missing the Games.

But Molik, 23, is hoping their loss is her gain when the competition starts on Sunday.

"This has probably been my best year. I'm at a career-high right now," Molik said.

"Winning a tournament in Stockholm, I couldn't have had any better preparation than I've had leading into Athens really.

"I'd love to come away from these Games with a medal; that's been my goal.

"It's unfortunate for tennis, the sport, that some of the big names have dropped out, like Capriati and Serena, but, in saying that, it gives other people a chance. Sammy Stosur, from our team, got a guernsey because Serena pulled out, so I guess it gives us a chance of coming home with a medal."

Molik and four-time Grand Slam champion Rennae Stubbs also loom as one of the teams to beat in the women's doubles.

But it won't all be work and play for Molik, who is treating her second Olympics as a rare opportunity to rub shoulders with the world's premier athletes from across all endeavours.

"That's all part of it," Molik, who sacrificed her Fed Cup position to focus on the Olympics, said.

"It's not the idea to come here and think about tennis the whole time. So I'll get out and about. This is what it's all about. We spend the whole year with tennis players. Tennis players get sick of that pretty quickly. This is something special. I wouldn't miss it for the world."

ys
Aug 13th, 2004, 02:06 AM
I think Nastya will get at least to the semis.
As I said. Daniilidou will be a key match. That will be worse than the worst possible Davis Cup athmosphere. She will have everyone against her - crowd, weather, line judges, umpire, and a very good player playing the most important tournament of her life. It just could be too much to handle for Nastya.

goldenlox
Aug 13th, 2004, 02:08 AM
Nastya won the French Open. She can handle pressure. Can Daniilidou handle it?

ys
Aug 13th, 2004, 02:10 AM
Nastya won the French Open. She can handle pressure. Can Daniilidou handle it? At French it was cool weather, non-French opponent and marks on the court to appeal. Greek crowd at sports events is just crazy beyond imagination.

goldenlox
Aug 13th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Nastya saved 9 match points against Vera. She can handle a loud crowd.

ys
Aug 13th, 2004, 02:23 AM
Nastya saved 9 match points against Vera. She can handle a loud crowd.
Can she handle aggressive crowd? Something similar to what Serena or Hingis faced at the French? Cheering her fault, double fault. Screams at the moments she is just about to hit the ball? I guess she never tried.

goldenlox
Aug 13th, 2004, 02:27 AM
Nastya plays a lot of Fed Cup. It's just noise. No excuses.

ys
Aug 13th, 2004, 02:28 AM
Nastya plays a lot of Fed Cup. It's just noise. No excuses.
We'll wait and see. I'll be glad if you are right.

goldenlox
Aug 13th, 2004, 02:38 AM
There's a first time for everything. I'm way overdue to be right.

Daniel
Aug 13th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Go Anastasia, win the Gold Medal :hug:

mostefan
Aug 13th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Sorry if it was posted elsewhere, here're some brief extracts from a Russian newspaper Sport-Express of today.
An article http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?90642 on Kuznetsova-Neyland training is there - on the real competition courts, not those in Olympic village - and I'd note their words on courts cover.

- Что скажете о покрытии афинских кортов?
- Нормальный, качественный хард. Медленный, быть может, но это не порок.
Q: What can you say on Athenean courts cover?
Larissa Neyland: It's a good quality hard. Slow perhaps but it's not a defect.

and Kuzi words in http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?90644:

- Покрытием здешним довольны?
- Мне нравится: медленное, высоко мячик отскакивает.
Q: Are you pleased with local cover?
Sveta: I like it, it's slow and ball bounces high.

saab95
Aug 13th, 2004, 04:01 PM
They havn't tv sets in the rooms...
So they can't watch the rain in the Sopot.
and too much "clouds" in Athens...

http://www.rambler.ru/db/sport/msg.html?mid=4907198

mostefan
Aug 13th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Shamil says of guys' coaches problems with Olympic accreditation.
Does someone know for sure what's with girls' coaches? :bowdown:
Special interest for Olga Morozova :)

saab95
Aug 13th, 2004, 09:08 PM
it's o.k. now

goldenlox
Aug 13th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Russian coaches "denied accreditation"
Fri 13 August, 2004 12:51

By Oliver Bullough

MOSCOW, Aug 13 (Reuters) - Some Russian men's tennis coaches have been denied accreditation for the Olympics, leaving players without guidance, according to national officials.

But the head of the Russian Olympic team in Athens dismissed the complaints on Friday, saying some tennis coaches had simply failed to file the required documents for accreditation in time.

The barred coaches include Yevgeny Kafelnikov, a former Olympic champion, said Shamil Tarpishchev, president of the Russian tennis federation and International Olympic Committee member.

"This is the most serious problem I have faced in my life, not one of our men's trainers has got Olympic accreditation," Tarpishchev, who coached former Russian President Boris Yeltsin, was quoted as saying ahead of Sunday's tournament start.

"I think on Saturday they will get it but by then there is almost no point in Kafelnikov or (Sergei) Leonyuk flying to Athens. It is not clear why members of our Olympic delegation had such problems but we'll sort it out." In Athens, the overall head of the Russian delegation, Anatoly Kolesov told a news conference that the fault appeared to lie with the coaches themselves who had failed to provide documentation and said all the others had been accredited.

DEETHELICK
Aug 13th, 2004, 11:09 PM
The Olympics for our girls is getting interesting.

Elena has played in the heat before. Miami. I remember she played venus there once and actually said that she thought Venus didn't like playing in the heat. And that she found it okay.

Fluids will be key. And yes, short and sweet points. Use the big groundies to overpower Molik.

I have faith :)

bubble
Aug 14th, 2004, 04:44 AM
it's o.k. now
So is Yevgeny going to Athens? I can't believe that he is interested to be a coaching staff now?

goldenlox
Aug 14th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Russian Tennis Coaches Miss Olympics

http://www.kansascity.com/images/common/spacer.gif
Associated Press
http://www.kansascity.com/images/common/spacer.gif

ATHENS, Greece - Several Russian tennis coaches failed to get accredited for the Olympics because their national federation failed to submit applications, a team official said Friday.

"Our Olympic committee satisfied all the needs of the Russian tennis federation. We gave them all the necessary documents and everything," said Leo Levsavin, a leader of Russia's delegation. "But the federation did not make the applications to the Athens organizers.

"It's a mystery. We don't know why. Maybe they have an interior problem," he said.

The Russian newspaper Sovietsky Sport's Web site cited Russian Tennis Federation head Shamil Tarpishchev as saying that four coaches were denied accreditation, including Olympic champion Yevgeny Kafelnikov.

However, Levsavin said "Yevgeny Kafelnikov did not wish to attend the games. It was his decision."

Levsavin said the players would have adequate coaching, even though some of their coaches were missing.

"They have all the necessary ones," he said.

Daniel
Aug 14th, 2004, 08:36 AM
When does Nastya arrive?

goldenlox
Aug 14th, 2004, 11:43 AM
She leaves Sopot after her press conference. Assuming she's healthy enough to play.

goldenlox
Aug 14th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Four Russian tennis coaches denied accreditation
Associated Press
Aug. 14, 2004 12:00 AM

ATHENS - Several Russian tennis coaches failed to get accredited for the Olympics because their national federation failed to submit applications, a team official said Friday.

The Russian newspaper Sovietsky Sport's Web site cited Russian Tennis Federation head Shamil Tarpishchev as saying that four coaches were denied accreditation, including Olympic champion Yevgeny Kafelnikov.

bubble
Aug 14th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Smiling Safin Happy to Eat His Olympic Words
By Ossian Shine

ATHENS (Reuters) - Everyone is allowed to make a mistake. Even Marat Safin.

The larger-than-life Russian player admits that when he said tennis had no place in the Olympic Games, he might have been a little hasty.

That comment at Wimbledon was the result of a frustrating loss and his volatile temperament.

Now that Safin is in Athens at the Games, he has come round.

"OK, so it's amazing," he grinned on Saturday, the eve of the Olympic competition.

"You know it's the most important tournament of the year and it's great to be here.

"It is just different. You play for your team, not yourself ... it's a different experience.

"So am I happy to be here? Yes, I am very happy."

The Russian missed most of last year through injury but came back with a bang, reaching the Australian Open final at the start of 2004.

"I am doing a really good job actually, getting back to the top," he laughed with typical candor. "All is well."

Switzerland's Roger Federer beat Safin in that Melbourne final and the Russian knows he is the man who has set the standard.

"Yeah, Roger is playing just amazing right now...I need to get to that level.

"But I am playing well ... happy with everything and hopefully I am going to win gold for my country," he smiled magnanimously, before letting his guard slip for just a second -- "Plus, there are lots of ranking points to be won."

Updated on Saturday, Aug 14, 2004 7:42 am EDT

saab95
Aug 14th, 2004, 08:24 PM
http://boxmail.biz/constructor/img/130670.jpg

Caption:
Athens, GREECE: Russia's Elena Dementieva stretches before a training session at the tennis centre 14 August 2004 in Athens, a day before the first tennis match at the 2004 Olympic Games. (Photo credit should read JACQUES DEMARTHON/AFP/Getty Images)

Elena everywhere ;)

goldenlox
Aug 14th, 2004, 08:31 PM
I went to gettyimages. That's Nadia. I don't know why they can't see the difference.

saab95
Aug 14th, 2004, 08:34 PM
they're just Lena D. fans :)

Daniel
Aug 15th, 2004, 10:01 AM
:o They dont even know who is who :o

Go Nadia, Nastya, Elena and Sveta :)

goldenlox
Aug 15th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Monday -

Centre Court
Day session - Starting at 10:00
(3) Carlos Moya (ESP) v Thomas Enqvist (SWE)
Aniko Kapros (HUN) v Eleni Daniilidou (GRE)
Night Session - Not before 17:00
Conchita Martinez (ESP) v (2) Amelie Mauresmo (FRA)
(1) Roger Federer (SUI) v Nikolay Davydenko (RUS)
Chanda Rubin/Venus Williams (USA) v (8) Ting Li/Tian Tian Sun (CHN)
Court 1

************Alicia Molik (AUS) v (4) Elena Dementieva (RUS)

Igor Andreev (RUS) v (7) Rainer Schuettler (GER)

************(3) Anastasia Myskina (RUS) v Magui Serna (ESP)

(10) Nicolas Massu (CHI) v Gustavo Kuerten (BRA)
(WC) Konstantinos Economidis/Vasilis Mazarakis (GRE) v Martin Damm/Cyril Suk (CZE)
Court 2
Ivo Karlovic (CRO) v (13) Andrei Pavel (ROM)
(12) Paradorn Srichaphan (THA) v Joachim Johansson (SWE)

*************(5) Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) v (WC) Mariana Diaz-Oliva (ARG)

Mark Philippoussis (AUS) v Olivier Rochus (BEL)
(WC) Petra Mandula/Kyra Nagy (HUN) v (2) Conchita Martinez/Virginia Ruano Pascual (ESP)
Court 3

*************(9) Nadia Petrova (RUS) v Martina Sucha (SVK)

Taylor Dent (USA) v (Alt) Fred Niemeyer (CAN)
Arnaud Clement (FRA) v (WC) Nicolas Lapentti (ECU)
(14) Silvia Farina Elia (ITA) v Sandrine Testud (FRA)
Maja Matevzic/Tina Pisnik (SLO) v Zi Yan/Jie Zheng (CHN)
Court 4
Sargis Sargsian (ARM) v Ivan Ljubicic (CRO)
(5) Mahesh Bhupathi/Leander Paes (IND) v Mardy Fish/Andy Roddick (USA)
(WC) Mario Ancic/Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) v Jonas Bjorkman/Joachin Johansson (SWE)
(WC) Tomas Berdych/Jiri Novak (CZE) v (2) Wayne Arthurs/Todd Woodbridge (AUS)
Carlos Moya/Rafael Nadal (ESP) v (WC) Andre Sa/Flavio Saretta (BRA)
Court 5
Tathiana Garbin (ITA) v (13) Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi (ISR)
Akiko Morigami (JPN) v Iveta Benesova (CZE)
Dominik Hrbaty (SVK) v Younes El Aynaoui (MAR)
Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP) v Mary Pierce (FRA)
Hicham Arazi/Younes El Aynaoui (MAR) v Max Mirnyi/Vladimir Voltchkov (BLR)
Court 6
Jurgen Melzer (AUT) v Vincent Spadea (USA)
Tomas Berdych (CZE) v Florian Mayer (GER)
Feliciano Lopez/Tommy Robredo (ESP) v (6) Gaston Etlis/Martin Rodriguez (ARG)
Klara Koukalova (CZE) v (15) Magdalena Maleeva (BUL)
Court 7
Kristina Brandi (PUR) v Jelena Kostanic (CRO)
Agustin Calleri (ARG) v Karol Beck (SVK)
Wynne Prakusya/Angelique Widjaja (INA) v Jelena Kostanic/Karolina Sprem (CRO)
Maria Sanchez Lorenzo (ESP) v Katarina Srebotnik (SLO)
Anne Kremer/Claudine Schaul (LUX) v (WC) Catalina Castano/Fabiola Zuluaga (COL)
Court 8
(INV) Lamine Ouahab (ALG) v (15) Tommy Robredo (ESP)
**************Bob Bryan/Mike Bryan (USA) v Marat Safin/Mikhail Youzhny (RUS)
Tathiana Garbin/Roberta Vinci (ITA) v Nicole Pratt/Samantha Stosur (AUS)
Lubomira Kurhajcova (SVK) v Lisa Raymond (USA)
Court 9
(WC) Mervana Jugic-Salkic (BIH) v Maria Elena Camerin (ITA)
Nicole Pratt (AUS) v Myriam Casanova (SUI)
(8) Jonathan Erlich/Andi Ram (ISR) v (WC) Thomas Enqvist/Robin Soderling (SWE)
Fabrice Santoro (FRA) v Filippo Volandri (ITA)

Daniel
Aug 16th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Elena lost :sad:
Nadia won :yeah:

Go Nastya :kiss: Good luck Nastya!! :bounce: :worship:

Epigone
Aug 16th, 2004, 12:54 PM
:bounce: Удачи Настя!!! :bounce:

saab95
Aug 16th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Igor Andreev (RUS) beat (7) Rainer Schuettler (GER) !

Daniel
Aug 17th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Go Nastya :D

KV
Aug 17th, 2004, 01:30 PM
As expected Sveta/Nastya through to the next round. :)

goldenlox
Aug 17th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Half of the team is out. Nadia and Elena in singles. Elena/Nastya in doubles.

KV
Aug 17th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Would rather see the Olympics go by rankings. Not to fav. certain players who aren't even top 100 ranked. Yeah Masha S/Vera Z were missed. Would have loved a stronger line up.

Daniel
Aug 18th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Good luck Nastya :worship:

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Sveta/Lena lost before the quarters. So both doubles teams are out. Sveta plays Mauresmo, and Nastya is not playing well.
And no Russian titles on the WTA tour since Wimbledon.

Daniel
Aug 19th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Go Nastya !!!! :worship: :bounce: :clap2:

Hope Natya beats Schiavone, and Sveta beats Momo, and JHH loses to Pierce :D

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Sveta, Nadia, and both Lenas are out. Only Nastya is left, with a chance to earn an Olympic medal.

goldenlox
Aug 20th, 2004, 12:57 AM
MYSKINA put herself in contention for a medal by defeating number 11 seed Francesco SCHIAVONE (ITA) 6-1, 6-2 in 55 minutes.
The 23-year-old became the first female Russian Grand Slam champion when she won the French Open in June and now has a chance to continue where her compatriots left off at Sydney 2000.
In Sydney, Yevgeny KAFELNIKOV (RUS) and Elena DEMENTIEVA (RUS) became the first Russians to win tennis medals since the sport was reinstated as full medal sport at Seoul 1988.

Daniel
Aug 20th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Good luck Anastasia :) :)

goldenlox
Aug 20th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Nastya was up 5-1 in the third in her semi against JHH, and lost 7-5, 5-7, 8-6. She plays for a bronze madal against the loser of Mauresmo/Molik.

Daniel
Aug 21st, 2004, 08:33 AM
Nastya :sad:

please win the bronze :)

goldenlox
Aug 21st, 2004, 04:21 PM
The Olympics are over for Russia's tennis players. No medals. None.

Daniel
Aug 22nd, 2004, 07:12 AM
oh no!!!! Nastya :sad:

the cat
Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:03 PM
Olympic tennis was a disaster for Russia. :mad: And it wasn't too good for America either. :(

goldenlox
Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:16 PM
Is no medals a disaster? That's a strong word.
This shows that Russian tennis is still not at the top level. But the gap continues to close.

Frank
Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:36 PM
Russian tennis definitely is not at the top level...But in theory Russia can seriously dominate tennis in 10 years or so...Considering the huge amount of inhabitants in combination with increasing wealth in combination with Russian tennis success nowadays thus increasing popularity...It's just destined to dominate...I would be suprised if it didn't...

the cat
Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:51 PM
To me disaster is the right word. Much more was expected from Russian tennis in Athens. I don't even want to talk about Marat safin's continuous run of terrible tennis. :( But we all knew Russia didn't take it's best team female Olympic tennis team and that didn't help. And Myskina's collapse against Henin and then failing to win a bronze medal was the icing on this disastrous Olympic Russian tennis cake! :eek: :mad: