PDA

View Full Version : Serena's clay skills questioned.

Veritas
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:03 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before...

But did anyone manage to catch this question in one of Serena's post-match interviews at RG this year?

(Herald Sun, Thursday, June 3, 2004, p.100).

"After she lost, Serena was asked this question by some gibberer yesterday: 'I was standing next to the owner of a TV shop a few blocks from here. On the final point she says, I don't think Sserena has a chance here...I guess it's because you're so much better on grass and cement. Was she wrong?'"

"Serena looked long and hard and said 'You tell me. Was she?'"

Frongie
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:56 PM
She has no clay court skils, she cannot move!

DeDe4925
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:57 PM
Guess that's why she won the IO 2002 and RG. Was a semi-finalist in 2003 and a quarterfinalist in 2004. :rolleyes:

Ballbuster
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:00 PM
Gosh!

do the thread starter have any brains?

bandabou
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:04 PM
Only lost to the eventual winner everytime since her debut, only in ī99 she didnīt lose to the eventual winner. At least the QF the past four years and only in ī99 she didnīt reach at least the 4th round...more even record than most clay-courters.

darrinbaker00
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:15 PM
That would explain why Serena is only 55-15 (.786) lifetime on clay..... :rolleyes:

Cariaoke
Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:12 AM
damn, you guys are so quick in your dismissals.

you never leave time for me to do it. *pouts in the corner*

;) :tape:

Greenout
Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:15 AM
:lol: Hilarious. Typical bandwagon/anti bandwagon hitching journalist
crap. When she's winning it's "She's the greatest clay courter in the open
era", when she's out it's "Never was good on clay".

I hope you can see the moronic side of this question by a Herald Sun
reporter. The Herald Sun is an Aussie newspaper, right?

Veritas
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:13 AM
Gosh!

do the thread starter have any brains?

Since when is posting a few quotes wrong? I just happened to post a few quotes from an interview made by an idiotic reporter. Just because one reporter reckons Serena has "questionable" clay skills doesn't necessarily mean I share that person's opinion.

Maybe you need a brain, if you haven't realised that, since I guess you're too much of an idiot to interpret and understand things clearly.

Veritas
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:17 AM
:lol: Hilarious. Typical bandwagon/anti bandwagon hitching journalist
crap. When she's winning it's "She's the greatest clay courter in the open
era", when she's out it's "Never was good on clay".

I hope you can see the moronic side of this question by a Herald Sun
reporter. The Herald Sun is an Aussie newspaper, right?

Yes, the Herald Sun is an Aussie tabloid. But that quote was reported by a journalist when he questioned a tennis fan, though I guess he was being pretty selective.

Frongie
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:31 AM
Guess that's why she won the IO 2002 and RG. Was a semi-finalist in 2003 and a quarterfinalist in 2004. :rolleyes:

she doesnt move well, undertstand?

Veritas
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:35 AM
she doesnt move well, undertstand?

Look, I can see why you don't like Serena and Venus in your sig.

But liking or disliking them is one thing. To say that "they don't move well" or whatever is getting overboard, don't you think? Like someone posted above, Serena's got a 55-15 on clay, which is about a 79% winning average. I can take a good guess that a lot of players on the WTA would kill to have that record.

And if she can't move, then how come she has such great success on all surfaces?

bandabou
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:39 AM
Serenaīs lack of clay success compared to other surfaces isnīt due to her movement...itīs due to her lack of patience. serena wants to hit winners and end the points quickly and on clay you just canīt do that. And thatīs what she needs to learn again.

Frongie
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:39 AM
Look, I can see why you don't like Serena and Venus in your sig.

But liking or disliking them is one thing. To say that "they don't move well" or whatever is getting overboard, don't you think? Like someone posted above, Serena's got a 55-15 on clay, which is about a 79% winning average. I can take a good guess that a lot of players on the WTA would kill to have that record.

And if she can't move, then how come she has such great success on all surfaces?

No you dont understand!

They are not a clay court player, they move like they would on grass, its no naturally movement they do. They only can win on the clay from their power games, no clay skills ok!

Veritas
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:58 AM
No you dont understand!

They are not a clay court player, they move like they would on grass, its no naturally movement they do. They only can win on the clay from their power games, no clay skills ok!

How can you say that Serena has "no" clay court skills?

OK, she may not have the same experience or familiarity with the surface compared to players like Paola, Conchita, Jenn, etc.

But she's had considerable success on this surface. Winning Tier I clay tournies, plus the RG, is a lot to boast about.

And why do some people automatically say that Serena's "power" game is only suited to faster surfaces? She's proven to us that her own game/style of play has more or less compensated for whatever "clay court skills" she lacks. She's got the record and titles to prove it.

bandabou
Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:00 AM
Well she already has one RG title and that is more than many clay-courters will ever tell they have won.

justine&coria
Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:50 AM
I watched her match against Capriati : i have to say that I was very surprised at her lack of movement !
It wasn't her lack of patience : of course, sometimes she was searching for a powerful winner and did the mistake, but especially in the 2nd set (but not only) she stopped hitting with power and played more clever : she was a lot more patient and was trying to change the pace of the ball etc!
But as I told it before, what surprised me was the lack of movement : when Capriati hit the ball "on" her, she wasn't really moving and her placement to hit the ball was just awful : that's why she had so many errors !

bandabou
Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:59 AM
I watched her match against Capriati : i have to say that I was very surprised at her lack of movement !
It wasn't her lack of patience : of course, sometimes she was searching for a powerful winner and did the mistake, but especially in the 2nd set (but not only) she stopped hitting with power and played more clever : she was a lot more patient and was trying to change the pace of the ball etc!
But as I told it before, what surprised me was the lack of movement : when Capriati hit the ball "on" her, she wasn't really moving and her placement to hit the ball was just awful : that's why she had so many errors !

Yeah...and thatīs why I think the rain-break was fatal for her. She was just getting in her groovy zone and she lost it after the break.

faste5683
Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:02 AM
They're both great movers, but neither one of them shows the well practiced ease of a Henin-Hardenne, Mauresmo, or Clijsters on clay. Jen had a better day, that's all.

:wavey:

bandabou
Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:05 AM
They're both great movers, but neither one of them shows the well practiced ease of a Henin-Hardenne, Mauresmo, or Clijsters on clay. Jen had a better day, that's all.

Uhum....but the funny thing is that they both have more RG titles than all those 3 combined....and both have gone further than Momo has EVER done at RG.

faste5683
Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:11 AM
Uhum....but the funny thing is that they both have more RG titles than all those 3 combined....and both have gone further than Momo has EVER done at RG.

Great, but aren't we talking about *movement* on clay? The ability to slide into your shots and so forth? You can throw out all the stats you want, but I could have sworn this thread was about clay court *skills* - not the number of titles or winning percentages or breast sizes.

DA FOREHAND
Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:11 PM
She has more French Open titles than Martina Hingis.

bandabou
Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:22 PM
Great, but aren't we talking about *movement* on clay? The ability to slide into your shots and so forth? You can throw out all the stats you want, but I could have sworn this thread was about clay court *skills* - not the number of titles or winning percentages or breast sizes.

Of course....just goes to show that movement ainīt all it is about.

Rollo
Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:57 PM
Bandabou-her [relative] lack of success on clay IS due to her poor clay movement. She doesn't have have the foggiest notion about how to slide on the stuff. Her steps need to be smaller.

She's a typical hard court Cal Gal. Ditto for Davenport and Venus. This goes all the way back to Billie Jean King-another Cal gal who never had great clay success.

Capriati would be just as helpless on clay if not for the fact that she grew up in Florida, which has lots of clay courts. If you look at the American women who did better on clay than grass they all grew up in Florida-Evert, Fernandez, and Capriati. Sliding and clay footwork come more naturally to Florida gals.

Serena will probably win her a French title or two more-but it will always be her "weaker" surface.

Experimentee
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:05 PM
Bandabou-her [relative] lack of success on clay IS due to her poor clay movement. She doesn't have have the foggiest notion about how to slide on the stuff. Her steps need to be smaller.

She's a typical hard court Cal Gal. Ditto for Davenport and Venus. This goes all the way back to Billie Jean King-another Cal gal who never had great clay success.

Capriati would be just as helpless on clay if not for the fact that she grew up in Florida, which has lots of clay courts. If you look at the American women who did better on clay than grass they all grew up in Florida-Evert, Fernandez, and Capriati. Sliding and clay footwork come more naturally to Florida gals.

Serena will probably win her a French title or two more-but it will always be her "weaker" surface.

I think most of the time her movement on any surface is pretty good, but when shes nervous and doesnt have the confidence her footwork can get really sloppy. She seems to have a bit less confidence on clay than others surfaces, probably because she didnt grow up on it.
By no means can anyone say her movement or her skills on clay are bad. Its a lot better than most other players. Shes got the titles to prove it.

tennisIlove09
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:07 PM
your posting skills questioned

bandabou
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:15 PM

O.k.....most everybody had a weaker surface anyways.