PDA

View Full Version : Article: Capriati Moves Better than Venus/Serena on clay

tennisIlove09
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:22 PM
By Greg Garber
ESPN.com

PARIS -- After she had beaten Serena Williams to reach the semifinals at the French Open, an ecstatic Jennifer Capriati had a long list of thank-yous.

http://espn.starwave.com/media/ten/2004/0602/photo/a_capriati_i.jpgJennifer Capriati grew up playing on green clay. So sliding on the red stuff is no problem.

She thanked her new coach, Heinz Gunthardt, her father Stefano, fitness trainer T.R. Goodman, massage therapist Theresa Ferguson, and the WTA trainers. She didn't mention the one thing -- well, two, actually -- that has made her the overwhelming favorite to win her second championship at Roland Garros: her feet.

While everyone likes to focus on the big serves, heavy ground strokes and unforced errors, Capriati's success on clay has more to do with her footwork than you might suspect. At 5-foot-7, 160 pounds, Capriati is not exactly delicate -- but her small, nuanced ballet-like steps would be right at home in a Degas painting in the nearby Louvre.

"In the beginning of the year, when she was a little out of shape, she was a little slower than usual and it affected her shot-making," explained ESPN analyst Mary Joe Fernandez, a finalist here in 1993. "She would hit the ball and wait. Now, she's fit and when she hits it, she's already reacting to the next shot. Her initial push off, her small steps, put her in great position. Even though she's a bigger player, her movement is really quite precise."

Footwork on clay is, understandably, a more difficult proposition than it is on hard courts. Instead of being able to plant your feet with confidence, clay is a loose, shifting, fluid surface. Playing on clay tests balance and coordination, something like running on a sandy beach. Because clay is more forgiving, the ball hangs in the air longer, prolonging points, games and matches. Footwork becomes even more important.

Watching the best players rally, it's easy to forget about their feet. Their artistry can be breathtaking, but the shot itself is only the final stroke in a series of complex actions. Getting to where the ball is going to be -- before it gets there -- requires intuition and the ability to place yourself precisely where you need to be to hit the ball with maximum power and efficiency. The ability to slide comfortably is mandatory.

Balance -- in life and tennis, as well -- is a critical element. Unlike Serena and Venus Williams, who often seem to be swinging awkwardly at balls that are too close to them, Capriati is as smooth as a seal running with the waves.

This is not a coincidence.

Capriati was 4 years old when she started training at Jimmy Evert's tennis center in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. There are 18 Har-Tru green clay courts there.

"She grew up on green clay, as I did," Fernandez said. "We had a lot of junior tournaments on clay and the Orange Bowl used to be played on clay. It becomes second nature."

http://espn.starwave.com/media/ten/2004/0602/photo/g_serena_i.jpgSerena can stretch to reach almost any ball, but two small steps rather than a lunge would give her more power and control.

Of all the Grand Slams, Fernandez felt most comfortable here at Roland Garros. She reached five quarterfinals here and, memorably, in 1993 rallied to beat Gabriela Sabatini and ultimately lost to Steffi Graf after taking the first set in the final. In 1990, Fernandez lost to a 14-year-old Floridian in the quarters, who went on to become the youngest French Open semifinalist ever. Her name was Jennifer Capriati.

Most observers didn't give Capriati much of a chance against Serena Williams in Tuesday's quarterfinal match. She had beaten her 17 days earlier in Rome, but it was only Williams' 14th match of the year after eight months away from the game following knee surgery.

But Roland Garros revealed faulty footwork by Serena and her long-legged sister Venus.

"Both of them are very good on the run," Fernandez said. "They can go out wide a long distance very quickly. That's where their great angles come into play. Where they get into trouble is when it's close to them. You see people play them up the middle because it's tougher for them to take those little steps.

"On a hard court they can plant better and be more stable. But, more than anything, that last-second adjustment can be tough for them. Watch Justine Henin-Hardenne, she just sort of flows along the ground. Tracy Austin was the queen of little steps and that last, split-second movement. The Williams sisters, with their big gliding kind of steps, cover a lot of ground, but it's not such an advantage."

This, Capriati seems to understand.

Her goal was to keep Serena moving, early and often.

"The longer the points went, I felt like that was to my advantage," Capriati said after the match. "I wanted to move her around, not give her a rhythm, but not open up the court too much because she likes hitting those angles.

"When in doubt, you just try to hit hard up the middle because even for any player it's difficult. Even on the serve, you know, you just try to hit more into the body."

http://espn.starwave.com/media/ten/2004/0602/photo/g_venus_i.jpgVenus Williams' long strides help her reach the ball, but she's out of position to hit it properly.

Venus Williams' undoing in her quarterfinal with Anastasia Myskina was a balky left ankle, which she sprained in the semifinals of Berlin two weeks before the French Open. Her footwork was, thus, challenged from the beginning. The Williamses combined for 88 unforced errors and are already back at home in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., contemplating Wimbledon.

Meanwhile, Capriati is focusing on the fourth Grand Slam singles title of her career. At 28, this is an unlooked for opportunity. She is the No. 7 seed here, but with the absence of last year's two Belgian finalists, Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters, the Williams sisters and No. 3-seeded Amelie Mauresmo -- surprising loser to Elena Dementieva -- Capriati is the only semifinalist who has even been to a Grand Slam final.

Capriati meets Myskina in one semifinal, while Paola Suarez plays Elena Dementieva in the other. The two Russians are quite comfortable on clay, and Suarez ranks her finest memory in tennis playing for the 1992 junior title here at Roland Garros.

After her victory over Serena Williams, Capriati talked about ending a numbing streak of eight straight three-set losses.

"You have to take it like a fighter, you know," Capriati said. "You're going to get punched and you've got to take the blows and just keep coming back.

"And you know, that's why it just feels like a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. But I'm not going to like be too happy about it. I've got another match."

And if Capriati survives for one more match after that and holds the classic sterling cup aloft, she will have her feet to thank.

Greg Garber is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:25 PM
Why is the person telling us something we already know?:rolleyes:

If one of the sisters win Wimbledon, he'll say that the sisters move better on grass than everyone else, including Jennifer, which is true.

Helen Lawson
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:27 PM
I do not think Serena's slide is bad at all. I always assumed Lin-See and Venus did not slide well because they are too tall. How the hell do you slide around when you are 6 feet 1 or 3?

tennisIlove09
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:28 PM
To me, Venus played one bad match, and it cost her. If you watch her against Zuluaga, Pierce or anyone, she was moving/sliding great. Johnny Mac said so on NBC

cool bird
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:28 PM
I argree . I dont think the Williams move well on clay. I did feel venus was starting to. Before her ankle injury. Ahh well on wards to wimbldon

7~ŒLęV3ņ―
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:35 PM
Capriati moves better than, apprx. 1000+ ranked players ... ahh... these articles...

bandabou
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:37 PM
Well....maybe, but it wasnīt movement that cost serena that match...it was more the rain-delay that took the rythm away. Plus if serena couldīve converted those bpīs in the first set better, this would have been straigths sets. Think about it: Serena had game-points in all but one of the first 10 games!!!

CapFan#1
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:47 PM
woulda, coulda, shoulda.........it's all history now

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:48 PM
Unfortuantely, Jennifer may be too since Pam picked her to be in the final.

CapFan#1
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:49 PM
Pam has no power on the outcome of any match (sorry Pam--love ya, but it's true)....... next

bandabou
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:51 PM

If that was to meant to me: Didnīt put it up as no woulda or coulda...just that the Serena didnīt lose due to movement imo.

CapFan#1
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:55 PM
I disagree, Jen played the bull deep and down the middle in sets #1 and #3 and that is why she won the match (along with well timed attacks to the net and varied looks at the ball)! Serena couldn't get out of her own way to hit the ball, thus giving Jen control of the point. Serena hits awesome on the run because of her great strides and can produce some wicked angles from on the run (no one does it better on the tour---Vee right there with her), but when faced with a powerful shot right at her, she usually throws in an UE or weak reply. jen got wacked in set #2 because she tired to just hit corner to coner against Serena and that is not going to work.

thelittlestelf
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:57 PM
Well Venus' movement was hampered from the start of RG. It caused her to worry more about her ankle and took focus off of being in position.

Actually, I find that the Williams sisters move very well on clay, they slide nicely into the ball and have very good footwork at net (especially Venus).

Mase
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:58 PM
I disagree, Jen played the bull deep and down the middle in sets #1 and #3 and that is why she won the match (along with well timed attacks to the net and varied looks at the ball)! Serena couldn't get out of her own way to hit the ball, thus giving Jen control of the point. Serena hits awesome on the run because of her great strides and can produce some wicked angles from on the run (no one does it better on the tour---Vee right there with her), but when faced with a powerful shot right at her, she usually throws in an UE or weak reply. jen got wacked in set #2 because she tired to just hit corner to coner against Serena and that is not going to work.
I mean there were many points where she just off footed Serena, thats just the facts. They both play well on clay, even with it being Serena's leats favorite surafce. But Jen does move better on clay, and it showed in the quarters. Jen moves darn near as well (when in her best shape as she's getting to now, as we saw) as the sisters on any surface.

harloo
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:09 PM
On clay anything can happen where the sisters are concerned. Serena's movement has been hampered by her knee surgery. I don't know if she is afraid to reinjure it while playing tough matches, or is it bothering her. It's diffucult to come back from that type of injury. She was not prepared for the clay season, and her results on clay have never been the greatest. Jen took advantage of those opportunities and won the match. Big Deal! If you look at it Serena is still a better player than Jen.

faste5683
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:10 PM
:haha:

Those darn white people and their superior athleticism! Now, if they only had the intelligence to construct a point - say like Venus- they'd never lose a match!!

:wavey:

DeDe4925
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:15 PM
:rolleyes: Good God, I'll be glad when the Williams' loss hoopla is over. It's getting redundant. Every article seems to overanalyze the Williams' sisters loss at RG. The next one will be that they didn't wear the right nail polish :rolleyes:.

Let's move on folks. :drive:

Isn't anyone interested in the up-coming RG semis and the women who are actually playing in it? Sheesh.

faste5683
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:18 PM
:eek: I just noticed the pictures! This article was brutal. I can just see the journalist now, pouring over thousands of pics of Vee and Rena at Roland Garros, trying to find the most awkward clay poses imaginable...

:wavey:

Kart
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:20 PM
Of all the Grand Slams, Fernandez felt most comfortable here at Roland Garros. She reached five quarterfinals here and, memorably, in 1993 rallied to beat Gabriela Sabatini and ultimately lost to Steffi Graf after taking the first set in the final.

Yes let's all drag up the past again shall we :mad:.

bandabou
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:47 PM

o.k....but the key was the play on the bpīs...Serena blew so many bpīs and could save them when she was serving. thatīs the key.

DeDe4925
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:56 PM
"She grew up on green clay, as I did," Fernandez said. "We had a lot of junior tournaments on clay and the Orange Bowl used to be played on clay. It becomes second nature."

Of all the Grand Slams, Fernandez felt most comfortable here at Roland Garros. She reached five quarterfinals here and, memorably, in 1993 rallied to beat Gabriela Sabatini and ultimately lost to Steffi Graf after taking the first set in the final. In 1990, Fernandez lost to a 14-year-old Floridian in the quarters, who went on to become the youngest French Open semifinalist ever. Her name was Jennifer Capriati.

[/i]
I want to know what makes MJ such an expert. She claims clay was second nature to her, yet she never won an FO title. She also claims Venus and Serena don't know how to move on clay, yet, Venus has made it to the finals, just like her and Serena has won the title, unlike her. What was it in 2002, a fluke? Luck?

I wish someone would explain the logic behind MJ's thinking here. :p

harloo
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:59 PM
:rolleyes: Good God, I'll be glad when the Williams' loss hoopla is over. It's getting redundant. Every article seems to overanalyze the Williams' sisters loss at RG. The next one will be that they didn't wear the right nail polish :rolleyes:.

Let's move on folks. :drive:

Isn't anyone interested in the up-coming RG semis and the women who are actually playing in it? Sheesh.
Unfortunately journalist such as these are basking in the sister's defeat. If Capriati wins this we will never hear the end of it. I swear these people need to let it go. You barely heard a peep when H-H lost. I guess when some people say that the sisters are TENNIS and others deny it the constant nitpicking and overeaction to their loses prove that they are indeed TENNIS.

The semis are about to take place, and all everyone can talk about are the sisters losing. ESPN has even taken the pleasure to show Serena losing about 4 times. Venus got about 3 re airing of her matches. I guess the semi finalist are pretty much a waste of space as far as they are concerned. The tournament is not over, they really need to stop it. :lol:

Ballbuster
Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:08 AM
Who want to keep the ball down the middle with NO topspin and pace.

What a lame ass game. Opps, that's what cappy and mysinka did. To bad it won't work the rest of the year.

they better get out of that practice quick - which they won't. I see them leaving their summer matches early. The players are going to paint the lines and they will be standing there with their mouths open.

Sam L
Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:12 AM
Why is the person telling us something we already know?:rolleyes:

If one of the sisters win Wimbledon, he'll say that the sisters move better on grass than everyone else, including Jennifer, which is true.
Then why are you writing about it? Just ignore it. At least he's a professional writer who's been PAID to write something for others to read. Unlike you?

Sam L
Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:14 AM
Unfortunately journalist such as these are basking in the sister's defeat. If Capriati wins this we will never hear the end of it. I swear these people need to let it go. You barely heard a peep when H-H lost. I guess when some people say that the sisters are TENNIS and others deny it the constant nitpicking and overeaction to their loses prove that they are indeed TENNIS.

The semis are about to take place, and all everyone can talk about are the sisters losing. ESPN has even taken the pleasure to show Serena losing about 4 times. Venus got about 3 re airing of her matches. I guess the semi finalist are pretty much a waste of space as far as they are concerned. The tournament is not over, they really need to stop it. :lol:
Um that's because everybody knew she was sick and no one expected her to win. ??? :lol:

Mase
Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:13 AM
Who want to keep the ball down the middle with NO topspin and pace.

What a lame ass game. Opps, that's what cappy and mysinka did. To bad it won't work the rest of the year.

they better get out of that practice quick - which they won't. I see them leaving their summer matches early. The players are going to paint the lines and they will be standing there with their mouths open. She did a lot more that that. Her forehand was on and lets face it Serena didnt have the answers. I beleive I recall a few smacked service winners in that first set as well. So she had variety, her game way more than down the middle/topspin.

Cmon now, please...

Celeste
Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:46 AM
Mary Joe is terrible. Why anyone takes her tennis commentary seriously is beyond me. If she hadn't married her powerful agent and he had placed her in this commentating position, no one would even remember her much, much less care about her opinions. As horrible as Chris Evert was as a commentator, at least she had won Roland Garros 7 times and her opinion has some credibility to it. If she wants to trash Serena's clay skills, fine, but Mary Joe really has no basis to shit on other players.

Havok
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:04 AM
Jenn isn't such a great mover on clay, so :retard: not many women can move properly on the clay, well not as well as the men move/slide on the clay

bigshow21
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:17 AM
Jen moves well on clay and proved it with the wins!!!

RedFilaJ-Cap#1
Jun 3rd, 2004, 04:21 AM
Yeah she is a great mover!!! I always knew she could move, but just not as good as she does. She is great and is showing it here!!!

thecatinthehat
Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:21 AM
did those pictures come with that article???
They found the worst pictures of Venus/Serena they could!

decemberlove
Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:33 AM
Jenn isn't such a great mover on clay, so :retard: not many women can move properly on the clay, well not as well as the men move/slide on the clay
ha . i was thinking the same thing . the men slide like lil kids with new socks on a freshly polished wooden floor . the women like scared bitches on ice . its rather sad actually . none of the women impressed me at this years RG with their movement