PDA

View Full Version : Reuters Article: Williams Sisters Act Loses Its Luster

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:50 PM
Updated: 08:04 AM EDT
Tennis-Open-Williams sister act loses its lustre
By Ossian Shine, Reuters

PARIS, June 2 (Reuters) - There was a time, not long ago, when the defeat of a Williams sister at a grand slam tournament was big news.
To lose Venus and Serena, on the same day, before the semi-finals would have caused shockwaves in the players' locker room.

However, their veneer of invincibility has been eroded to such an extent that twin defeats at the French Open on Tuesday caused merely a ripple of surprise among their contemporaries.

The sister act which contested four straight grand slam finals between the 2002 French Open and the 2003 Australian Open has lost its lustre over the past year.

Prone to injury and susceptible to nerves, Venus and Serena are shadows of the players who dominated women's tennis so completely.

"I mean, these days it's not really shocking, you know," Jennifer Capriati said after eliminating Serena from the Roland Garros quarter-finals.

"It's not that surprising. There's a lot of girls that have been playing a lot more tennis than they have," she added, highlighting one of the problems faced by the sisters.

Injuries sidelined both of them from the all-Williams Wimbledon final last year until the end of the season.

Venus returned to the tour in January, Serena in March, but they are desperately short of match play and, crucially, confidence.

MYSTIQUE GONE

Venus's conqueror Anastasia Myskina nodded when asked if their mystique had gone. "Oh, definitely, right now, yes, because they have just come back.

"They lost a lot of months, the other players kept practising. Now everybody believes at least that they can fight with them," the Russian added.

"All the girls are really tough right now. I don't think Venus or Serena are finished... they are just not at their best level."

The pair have often been criticised for playing too little tennis through choice and for being distracted by their off-court interests. Venus owns a design company and Serena is embarking on an acting career.

However, the sisters bristle if it is suggested tennis does not come top of their priority list.

"I've been working really hard, I mean, every day for the past few weeks so if that's distraction, I don't know what's focus," Serena snapped.

"If I was (more interested in her acting career than tennis), I'd be on the set of a movie right now, but I'm at Roland Garros.

WINNING WAYS

Venus says she just wants to return to winning ways.

"Well, for me, losing a match is not normal, so I'll just move on to the next tournament and get back to what's normal for me, which is winning matches."

Any talk of their immediate demise would be premature, though, a fact acknowledged by Myskina, the world number five.

"They will be back for sure. I don't think they like to lose," she smiled.

"I don't think they're done. I mean, they were the best - they can be the best again."

The Wimbledon championships could prove crucial to their future. Three of the last four grand slam finals have been contested by Belgians Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters.

If Serena fails to retain her Wimbledon crown or Venus fails to win it for a third time, the Williams household will be without a grand slam title for the first time since 1999.

From that perspective, the road back may seem a little too steep.

06/02/04 08:02 ET

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited

Just in case anyone didn't know, this writer doesn't like the Williams sisters. He/she has never really written anything positive about them. BTW, this person must have ESP to know that the sisters aren't playing the USO because if they do and one of them wins it, then they will have a Grand Slam title.:rolleyes:

Junex
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:07 PM
this write-up seems pretty fair to me, and it doesn't show the writer being anti-williams.

I think its you being paranoid, look, when this writer wrote: "the Williams household will be without a grand slam title for the first time since 1999" it means they no longer had any current GS title between them, of course they may win USO but its not there's to defend anymore.

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:15 PM
this write-up seems pretty fair to me, and it doesn't show the writer being anti-williams.

I think its you being paranoid, look, when this writer wrote: "the Williams household will be without a grand slam title for the first time since 1999" it means they no longer had any current GS title between them, of course they may win USO but its not there's to defend anymore.I am not just talking about this article.

This person wrote other articles about them that bordered on nasty, but I didn't post them. Like the one yesterday that they rumbled out of the FO. Plus this person admitted that he/she had a little animosity towards the sisters. Maybe they didn't give him an interview he really wanted.:confused:

tfannis
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:28 PM
OMG lol lizchris-person...get over it and move on :lol: This is the media for you. What did you expect?

Junex
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:31 PM
ooppsss... i miss that, she can ba that all williams hater but in fairness with this article, its what actually is happening with Vee and Rena, theyre losing it and they have to do something fast.

They need to impose there dominance on womens tour again in order to be what they are meant to be.

DelMonte
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:38 PM
i agree with what both jen and anastasia said about how more girls think they can beat venus and serena now. because of a combination of injuries, time off (8 months for serena!) and other players raising their game, vee and serena don't dominate the tour as they did 1 or two 2 years ago.

having said that, i have no doubt that with more hard work and dedication they can be the best once again. like i've said before, the next months will be a challenge for venus and serena--we will see what they are made of. i think they can make it back to the top. :)

by the way, i think it will be slightly harder for venus than for serena. even though serena just fell out of the top 10, she is more technically sound than venus and her game just is not as prone to breaking down as venus'. venus, please work on your forehand and your 2nd serve!!

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:45 PM
OMG lol lizchris-person...get over it and move on :lol: This is the media for you. What did you expect?
I expect this from the American meida. This person isn't American.

If I were you, I'd think about the fact that you favorite, Kim Clijsters, assuming Jennifer loses to Myskina tomorrow, will see a person win a Grand Slam before her on Saturday although she has been in how many GS finals?

tfannis
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:00 PM

If I were you, I'd think about the fact that you favorite, Kim Clijsters, assuming Jennifer loses to Myskina tomorrow, will see a person win a Grand Slam before her on Saturday although she has been in how many GS finals?
And that has what to do with the article and all the other threads you posted? :confused:

In comparison to you I am not getting all frustrated by the results of my fave when they're not that great. And certainly not by the possibility someone wins a Slam before she does :lol: In fact, I want Myskina, Dementieva or Suarez to win the title, it's always great to see some new champs.

The sisters lose and the media jumps on them, what's new? As I said before, get over it and move on :wavey: Get a life for a change :rolleyes:

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:04 PM
And that has what to do with the article and all the other threads you posted? :confused:

In comparison to you I am not getting all frustrated by the results of my fave when they're not that great. And certainly not by the possibility someone wins a Slam before she does :lol: In fact, I want Myskina, Dementieva or Suarez to win the title, it's always great to see some new champs.

The sisters lose and the media jumps on them, what's new? As I said before, get over it and move on :wavey: Get a life for a change :rolleyes:
I have a life. I don't post on this board every day.:rolleyes:

I have gotten over their loss and I am already looking forward to Winbledon since it is a little more than two weeks away.

Helen Lawson
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:14 PM
My Oscar has never lost its luster. I get it professionally polished every few months and on special occasions, like when I have a party and want to shove it in people's faces.

tfannis
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:19 PM

I have gotten over their loss and I am already looking forward to Winbledon since it is a little more than two weeks away.Wonderful, don't bother posting articles about their loss then, since we're over it too :rolleyes:

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:23 PM
Wonderful, don't bother posting articles about their loss then, since we're over it too :rolleyes:
This article wasn't about their losses, but about how many players (most of whome have no wins or one win against either sister) are not intimidated of them anymore. The ironic thing is that these playelrs never should have been. What seperates a great player from an ordinary player is the belief that when you go out on the court, you are going to win and that you are the best. That's what sepertes Venus and Serena from the rest of the pack and why they have achieved what they have achieved in their careers.

tfannis
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:41 PM
This article wasn't about their losses, but about how many players (most of whome have no wins or one win against either sister) are not intimidated of them anymore. The ironic thing is that these playelrs never should have been. What seperates a great player from an ordinary player is the belief that when you go out on the court, you are going to win and that you are the best. That's what sepertes Venus and Serena from the rest of the pack and why they have achieved what they have achieved in their careers.Ah so you're frustrated that's over now and Venus and Serena aren't seperated from the rest anymore? Well try to get over that too and then move on deer :kiss: Step by step :D You'll make it :wavey:

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:55 PM
Ah so you're frustrated that's over now and Venus and Serena aren't seperated from the rest anymore? Well tryo to get over that too and then move on deer :kiss: Step by step :D You'll make it :wavey:

Among active players, other than Lindsay, Monica and Conchita Martinez, no other players has as many tournament wins as they do and when it comes to the Grand Slams, other than Monica Seles, no other players has a many wins. Will other players pass them in both areas, most likely, but not many. So you see, I am not frustrated.

bandabou
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:24 PM
Expected, expected....no one can come from injuries or lay-offs and regain their footing from the bat. The field has improved and they think and believe they can beat the Williamses now. Itīs okay....I still think that theyīre gonna find their games again and be the main forces of the tour again.

The conditions sure didnīt help yesterday... one thing I find dissapointing is how everybody is blaming the loss of Serena on her acting. it ainīt like she was blown off the court, unlike Venus...in fact my bet is that if not for the break at the end of the second-set Serena might have well won that match as she was on pretty good roll.

Venusīs loss is a bit more puzzling...was in form, had clay-preparation...still no answers.

Wimbledon is gonna be very interesting.

tfannis
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:25 PM
Among active players, other than Lindsay, Monica and Conchita Martinez, no other players has as many tournament wins as they do and when it comes to the Grand Slams, other than Monica Seles, no other players has a many wins. Will other players pass them in both areas, most likely, but not many. So you see, I am not frustrated.That's another story off course..that's about their palmares, not their current intimitading factor. You really can't make up your mind huh why you posted that article? ;)

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:28 PM
That's another story off course..that's about their palmares, not their current intimitading factor. You really can't make up your mind huh why you posted that article? ;)
It's not off course and it is the truth.:rolleyes:

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:31 PM
Expected, expected....no one can come from injuries or lay-offs and regain their footing from the bat. The field has improved and they think and believe they can beat the Williamses now. Itīs okay....I still think that theyīre gonna find their games again and be the main forces of the tour again.

The conditions sure didnīt help yesterday... one thing I find dissapointing is how everybody is blaming the loss of Serena on her acting. it ainīt like she was blown off the court, unlike Venus...in fact my bet is that if not for the break at the end of the second-set Serena might have well won that match as she was on pretty good roll.

Venusīs loss is a bit more puzzling...was in form, had clay-preparation...still no answers.

Wimbledon is gonna be very interesting.
I think so too.

They are still young enough so that they can be number one again. Will it be this year, I don't know, but they can rise to the top again.

Neither one was blown off the court but they didn't play well yesterday and that's why they lost.

tfannis
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:32 PM
It's not off course and it is the truth.:rolleyes:
Ah yes...everything you say is the truth huh? :) Carry on carry on, you're a very respected, truth telling, happy looking poster on this board :worship: :tape:

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:34 PM
Ah yes...everything you say is the truth huh? :) Carry on carry on, you're a very respected, truth telling, happy looking poster on this board :worship: :tape:
For the most part, yes.

mariok
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:40 PM
Come on, people, these two girls were injured. It would be sad if one of them made it to the finals. This only shows that tennis is on a level high enough that you can't just walk in and take any title you want.
I'm sure this will only make Venus and Serena work harder. I'm not a big fan of theirs, but I do believe they are the best around and will prove it in the months and years to come. Injury-free, of course. I don't appreciate them not giving credit to other players, but they're just used to win all the time, I guess... Good luck to both of them in the future! However, I'm happy to see some fresh faces in the semis! OK, not "that" fresh ,but you know what I mean...

bandabou
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:52 PM
Funny thing is: no word about Momo, no word about Justine, when they lose....when a Williams lose: itīs all: they have lost it, they are over, thank God,etc....

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:59 PM
Funny thing is: no word about Momo, no word about Justine, when they lose....when a Williams lose: itīs all: they have lost it, they are over, thank God,etc....
That's because their obits have been written since they turned professional and since they have proven their critics wrong, their critics go crazy every time they do something.

Foot_Fault
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:15 PM
It's not that serious liz...they lost, it's over. They'll be back. They are the biggest draw in Women's Tennis, they are Big News. Ofcourse you got to sell the story. It's just the media.

Remember the grass is greener...

Go Dementieva!

faboozadoo15
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:17 PM

I have gotten over their loss and I am already looking forward to Winbledon since it is a little more than two weeks away.
um, you average 8 posts per day...

paranoia paranoia, everybody's commin to get ya...

faboozadoo15
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:18 PM
Really... Do you live in the same planet as the rest of us?
there are always articles when justine loses. it was huge news the FEW times it's happened this year.

faboozadoo15
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:26 PM
This article wasn't about their losses, but about how many players (most of whome have no wins or one win against either sister) are not intimidated of them anymore. The ironic thing is that these playelrs never should have been. What seperates a great player from an ordinary player is the belief that when you go out on the court, you are going to win and that you are the best. That's what sepertes Venus and Serena from the rest of the pack and why they have achieved what they have achieved in their careers.
:confused: are you UPSET that girls on tour have more confidence now???
i don't get it... it makes perfect sense; plain and simple, they are more off and on than other past number ones and they aren't playing their best.

if you look at the careers of seles or graf, neither of them ever had a period of time as bad as venus and serena are in right now. that's why no one ever really developed a whole lot of confidence against them. when you lose or someone beats you it sends a message. this of course won't matter if venus and serena do resume playing their best on faster surfaces. all the confidence in the world can't get you a win.

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:27 PM
there are always articles when justine loses. it was huge news the FEW times it's happened this year.
She's already lost three tournaments this year. When she comes back, she probably lose a few more.

Venus has played as many tournaments and has lost 1 more match than she has.

faboozadoo15
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:36 PM
She's already lost three tournaments this year. When she comes back, she probably lose a few more.

Venus has played as many tournaments and has lost 1 more match than she has.
:eek: THREE LOSSES :eek:
she's got these titles-- Sydney, Australian Open, Dubai, and Indian Wells
venus has-- Charleston and Warsaw

May 24, 2004
1 HENIN-HARDENNE, JUSTINE BEL 2287.00 6
2 DAVENPORT, LINDSAY USA 1651.00 7
3 MAURESMO, AMELIE FRA 1635.00 6
4 WILLIAMS, VENUS USA 1326.00 7

i love venus, but this isn't even comparable... she's played one more tournament and has one more loss (and she gave mauresmo a walkover)
but venus has a better french open and definitely a better clay season.

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:37 PM
:confused: are you UPSET that girls on tour have more confidence now???
i don't get it... it makes perfect sense; plain and simple, they are more off and on than other past number ones and they aren't playing their best.

if you look at the careers of seles or graf, neither of them ever had a period of time as bad as venus and serena are in right now. that's why no one ever really developed a whole lot of confidence against them. when you lose or someone beats you it sends a message. this of course won't matter if venus and serena do resume playing their best on faster surfaces. all the confidence in the world can't get you a win.
The players should have had nore confidence to begin with.

For the final few years of Graf's career (and she was still on the top of her game), she went through injuries just as bad as the sisters.

Like I said before, what seperated Venus and Serena fro the rest is that they always believed that they could beat the other person on the other side of the net regardless of where they were ranked. Maybe the other women should have had the same belief when they started playing on the tour.

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:38 PM
:eek: THREE LOSSES :eek:
she's got these titles-- Sydney, Australian Open, Dubai, and Indian Wells
venus has-- Charleston and Warsaw

May 24, 2004
1 HENIN-HARDENNE, JUSTINE BEL 2287.00 6
2 DAVENPORT, LINDSAY USA 1651.00 7
3 MAURESMO, AMELIE FRA 1635.00 6
4 WILLIAMS, VENUS USA 1326.00 7

i love venus, but this isn't even comparable... she's played one more tournament and has one more loss (and she gave mauresmo a walkover)
but venus has a better french open and definitely a better clay season.
The walkover isn't considered a loss.

So I guess a Tier I tournament means nothing now.:rolleyes:

Black Mamba.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:32 PM
I think they have yet to reach their full form. For example Vee was tearing up the clay court season, but as soon as she got momentum she hurt her ankle. Serena came back and won her first tournement back, but lost the next two tournements. They just like any player need time to play some injury free tennis before they can reach top form. If you notice Vee didn't do well in Austraila, but she consistantly improves with each tournement. I really think that the media is too hard on the sisters always saying they're finished and all the other stuff they say when they lose a match. Last time I checked they are beatable because they are only human. On another note I can't stand when a player beats them and starts talking about how they've lost their luster and how they aren't the players they once were. I think that is easy to say when a player is not in top form, I just hate the cheap shots some of these players make after they beat the sisters when most of the time they themselves haven't won really anything or done anything.

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:33 PM
I think they have yet to reach their full form. For example Vee was tearing up the clay court season, but as soon as she got momentum she hurt her ankle. Serena came back and won her first tournement back, but lost the next two tournements. They just like any player need time to play some injury free tennis before they can reach top form. If you notice Vee didn't do well in Austraila, but she consistantly improves with each tournement. I really think that the media is too hard on the sisters always saying they're finished and all the other stuff they say when they lose a match. Last time I checked they are beatable because they are only human. On another note I can't stand when a player beats them and starts talking about how they've lost their luster and how they aren't the players they once were. I think that is easy to say when a player is not in top form, I just hate the cheap shots some of these players make after they beat the sisters when most of the time they themselves haven't won really anything or done anything.
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

bandabou
Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:50 PM

brilliant post! easy to say that they arenīt the players they once were. when will the players become the players the sisters were?! i wanna see slams, tier Iīs,etc...

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:08 PM
Updated: 03:04 PM EDT

Is Williams' Era of Domination Over?
Serena, Venus Appear to Have Lost Hold on Sport
By HOWARD FENDRICH, AP SPORTS

PARIS (June 2) -- The days of part-time perfection for Serena and Venus Williams might very well be over.
No longer, it seems, can they just dabble in tennis, swoop in at Slam time, and dominate draws until making their appointed meeting in the final. No longer can they cast aside health woes as mere hiccups and take to the court with an aura of invincibility.

Between injuries and scheduled sabbaticals, between trips to the Cannes Film Festival and the MTV Video Music Awards, between Serena's acting and Venus' interior decorating, the sisters are missing their cues on their sport's grandest stages.

When the French Open semifinals are played Thursday, neither Williams sister will be around. Instead, No. 7 Jennifer Capriati (who beat Serena) plays No. 6 Anastasia Myskina (who beat Venus), and No. 9 Elena Dementieva faces No. 14 Paola Suarez.

Casual fans should be excused for thinking, "Sure, I've heard of Capriati, but who are those three?" Capriati won the 2001 French Open and two other Grand Slam titles; the rest of the bunch came to Paris with one major semifinal appearance among them.

Compare that to the sisters, who during one stretch won eight of 11 Grand Slam tournaments and have produced six all-in-the-family major finals.

The question du jour is: What have you done for me lately? Venus last won a Slam in 2001, and it's close to 11 months since Serena was in a major final. They combined for 88 unforced errors Tuesday, prompting Serena to say, "I was an amateur today."

There was a time when they swapped the No. 1 ranking the way some sisters share shoes. Now, Serena will drop to No. 11, her first slide out of the top 10 since 1999, and Venus will be No. 8 or 9.

That's largely because of a lack of activity. The sisters long have been choosy about which tournaments they play, like selecting items off a restaurant menu, but Serena had surgery on her left knee Aug. 1, and didn't return to the tour until March. Then she withdrew from her third tournament back because of soreness in her knee.

Venus lost six months to a torn abdominal muscle, won consecutive tournaments in April and May, then hurt her left ankle at the German Open.

"It's enough to make you bitter," Venus said. "I've got to stay healthy."

So maybe Tuesday's dual defeats shouldn't have come as such a surprise.

"These days, it's not really shocking," Capriati said. "There's a lot of girls that have been playing a lot more tennis than they have."

Myskina, never before past the French Open's second round, echoed the sentiment when asked if the Williams' mystique has faded.

"Oh, definitely. Right now, yes, because they just came back," the Russian said. "They lost a lot of months. You know, (other) players kept practicing. I mean, now, of course, everybody believes at least that they can fight with them."

And it's not simply that players feel better about facing Venus or Serena. It's also that Venus and Serena feel less assured about their own games.

"When you start making a lot of errors, you make opponents feel that, 'OK, OK, I've got a chance now,' and their confidence goes up," said their mother and coach, Oracene Price. "With my girls, when they don't do what they do, they can lose their confidence, too. It goes both ways."

A Williams won the title at 19 of the previous 24 tournaments both entered. Price pointed to the clay as a culprit Tuesday, and it's true that the last time neither sister reached the semifinals at an event both played was the 2001 French Open.

"You can't hit winners from the baseline on clay. You've got be more patient, and they're not right now," Price said.

Then again, Serena won the 2002 French Open, beating Venus in the final. And Venus won 19 straight matches on clay before Tuesday.

Price also called her daughters' injuries a psychological burden. Unhealthy bodies equal unhealthy minds, and they worry about tweaking or twisting something when they need to be figuring out how to take apart an opponent.

"They've got a lot of mental issues going," Price said, her voice a whisper.

What's next? Can they reclaim a hold on tennis' heights?

"For me, losing a match is not normal," Venus said, "so I'll just move on to the next tournament and get back to what's normal for me, which is winning matches."

Their next tournament will be Wimbledon. Instead of entering a grass tuneup, Venus and Serena will train on hard courts back home.

After last year's French Open disappointments -- Venus' fourth-round exit, Serena's bitter semifinal loss -- they regrouped quickly enough to face off in the final at the All England Club.

Still, it wouldn't be shocking if that didn't happen again.

06/02/04 14:42 EDT

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press.

So the Williams fans are obsessed? This is the second article I have read about the sisters basically being over. Do you know I have not read one story about any type of preview of tomorrow semifinals?

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:55 PM
Yes you are, because there's nothing wrong with the article.

And they didn't say they are over sheeeeeeeeesh. They ASK if the area of their dominance is over.
I didn't say there was.:rolleyes:

All I am saying is that there are four women playing tomorrow in the semifinals and none are named Williams. So why am I not hearing about them?

DeDe4925
Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:21 PM
Sheesh, this guy acts as if the sisters are finished because they both lost in the quarters in one day, their ranking is dropping and neither has won a GS in a year. Big deal. Jen hasn't won a tournament since 2001 and she's making a strong comeback at the age of 28. Vee and Rena are only 23 and 22 respectively. It's far from over for them. Once they start to play more, they will get their confidence back and they will start winning again. They get better and better every tournament. Don't worry Liz, that's just one man's opinion. How many times have you seen people eat crow when it comes to the Sisters? ;) Believe me, that's not over either. There's always another tournament. Chin up sis.

P.S. I'm really impressed with the respect Myskina has of the sisters. Whether she meant it or not, what she said was the truth.

DeDe4925
Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:25 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship:

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:39 PM
Sheesh, this guy acts as if the sisters are finished because they both lost in the quarters in one day, their ranking is dropping and neither has won a GS in a year. Big deal. Jen hasn't won a tournament since 2001 and she's making a strong comeback at the age of 28. Vee and Rena are only 23 and 22 respectively. It's far from over for them. Once they start to play more, they will get their confidence back and they will start winning again. They get better and better every tournament. Don't worry Liz, that's just one man's opinion. How many times have you seen people eat crow when it comes to the Sisters? ;) Believe me, that's not over either. There's always another tournament. Chin up sis.

P.S. I'm really impressed with the respect Myskina has of the sisters. Whether she meant it or not, what she said was the truth.
I understand that, but like you said, people act as if they are finished. Weren't these the same people who said Venus was back when she won those two tournaments?

bandabou
Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:46 PM
plus..losses on clay donīt say all that much about the sisters, because they were never dominating on clay. Now if they start losing on grass and hardcourts.....

Pinkie
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:01 PM
Actually, the Tennisreporters article on the Williams' loss at RG ended on the same note as the article posted above. The last sentence in the TR article is "Maybe not, but on Tuesday, it was unclear whether they are capable of dominating again." So it seems this is an angle more reporters have discovered.

Truth is, when the WTA rankings come out next week Serena will be out of the top 10 and Venus will be 8 or 9. It is hard not to see a story. While it is true thataAt one point Venus and Serena at their best could only be beaten by each other, at this point they not only have to prove they can still be their best, the question is also how much better that is than the rest (the field has gotten better while the sisters were gone). I would love to see how a Justine or Kim at their best (mentally and physically) measure up against a top fit Venus and Serena. I don't think the outcome would as obvious as a few years ago.

Sam L
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:06 PM

What's Kim Clijsters got to do with this article? It's so funny how you attack what other people like when you're wrong and you don't like what they have to say. :lol:

And this journalist got it right, great article!!! :clap2:

bandabou
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:15 PM
Actually, the Tennisreporters article on the Williams' loss at RG ended on the same note as the article posted above. The last sentence in the TR article is "Maybe not, but on Tuesday, it was unclear whether they are capable of dominating again." So it seems this is an angle more reporters have discovered.

Truth is, when the WTA rankings come out next week Serena will be out of the top 10 and Venus will be 8 or 9. It is hard not to see a story. While it is true thataAt one point Venus and Serena at their best could only be beaten by each other, at this point they not only have to prove they can still be their best, the question is also how much better that is than the rest (the field has gotten better while the sisters were gone). I would love to see how a Justine or Kim at their best (mentally and physically) measure up against a top fit Venus and Serena. I don't think the outcome would as obvious as a few years ago.

I still say more of the same....Justine wins more on clay against Serena, but canīt really do much anywhere else. Kim better indoors and maybe clay, but thatīs it....Venus vs Justine, same as with Serena....Venus vs Kim...thatīs gonna be more tricky probably.

Itīs gonna be interesting really...but what about dem Belgian girls?! Seems their domination didnīt last that long either..

Greenout
Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:20 AM
I still say more of the same....Justine wins more on clay against Serena, but canīt really do much anywhere else. Kim better indoors and maybe clay, but thatīs it....Venus vs Justine, same as with Serena....Venus vs Kim...thatīs gonna be more tricky probably.

Itīs gonna be interesting really...but what about dem Belgian girls?! Seems their domination didnīt last that long either..

Your funny Bandy. Justine's win-loss record is the lowest at RG
than any other slam! :lol: The majority of her titles from spring
of last year to present day came on hardcourts. No need to
discredit my BOSS simply because you need to puff up Venus and
Serena. I thought your above that sort of crap. I hate to see the
sort of thrashing Paola or ED will get for winning RG and not having
to play Venus or Serena. :tape:

Sam L
Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:22 AM
:tape:

DemWilliamsGulls
Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:40 AM
I dont think they have lost their luster...I just think they are not playing like they was back in 2002 and early 2003....and other players see it...and realize they are more vunerable than b4. Venus and Serena still does not hit with the power they use to...and their serves are way off from their norm....*we all see it* and thats for the fact they haven't played a lot. I'm not worried about Vee and Rena because they know they can beat these girls on the tour...its just a matter of time b4 they come back to playing the way they use to. The thing I dont like about the article is ....why do they feel The William sisters have lost their luster when other players such as Andy Rodick, Aggassi, and Justine has already been sent home from the competition....and they have been playing all year long?????? Yet you don't see an article about them loosing their luster.

Black Mamba.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:07 AM
IMO for years other players got a free pass when they lost, nobody really cares, but as soon as the sisters lose it is considered abnormal. This is crazy, in a tennis season that is so long you are bound to lose some matches, it doesn't mean you've lost your luster or you need a new coach. How come when a player like Kim loses nobody says she needs a new coach or anything else, but when Vee and Serena lose everybody starts talking about how they need new coaches and all that other stuff. As long as they continue to win tournements which they have even after their long layoff they don't need new coaches because if it isn't broke don't fix it.

~ The Leopard ~
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:15 AM
Mountains and molehills. Hmmmm, that could be the title of an article about Serena and Dani, couldn't it? :tape:

Rocketta
Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:23 AM
Mountains and molehills. Hmmmm, that could be the title of an article about Serena and Dani, couldn't it? :tape:
No that would be Mountains and the plains....:tape:

pigam
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:42 AM
pffff...
One article complains about the domination
another about how they arn't able to dominate.

One Belgian article writes: 'What's happening to our Belgian girls?'
Another 'Will Venus and Serena finally put an end to 'the Belgian yawn (!!) ?'

As long as they have something to write about. At this moment, although my favs lost (fearly) early in this GS, I think, in a way it's great for tennis that we see new faces and maybe an even higher level of competition. It only makes the sport more exciting :bounce:

bandabou
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:57 AM

It wasnīt meant as a descriditing...sorry if it came over that way. It was an answer to the question stated by pinkie.

turt
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:57 AM
I didn't say there was.:rolleyes:

All I am saying is that there are four women playing tomorrow in the semifinals and none are named Williams. So why am I not hearing about them?let me think... because you're obsessed with the Sisters and you're blind concerning all the other articles about the 4 semi-finalists?

Or maybe the American media are not interested in non-US players? Okay, I know there's Capriati in the final, but I've seen a lot of articles about her! (the same with the other 3 girls anyway... :tape: )

Greenout
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:05 AM
pffff...
One article complains about the domination
another about how they arn't able to dominate.

One Belgian article writes: 'What's happening to our Belgian girls?'
Another 'Will Venus and Serena finally put an end to 'the Belgian yawn (!!) ?'

As long as they have something to write about. At this moment, although my favs lost (fearly) early in this GS, I think, in a way it's great for tennis that we see new faces and maybe an even higher level of competition. It only makes the sport more exciting :bounce:

This is the truth. I thought I would lose all interest at RG with
Justine taking an early bow before the finale; but it's been really fascinating. I was enjoying the Jie Zheng saga, the Shinobu Asagoe
mini run, the Sharapova jump into the headlines, the Argentines
revenge(Hi Gauston!) etc... The 4th round was boring; but the
refreshing exuberance of ED, and Myskina's homage to Hingis has
been really entertaining for the semi's and dare I say fun?
Yes, very fun. :)

I was watching the highlight show with neutrals and they absolutely
loved seeing ED and Myskina. They couldn't believe how well these
skinny fearless, charming Russian girls were really giving it to big, star
American tennis players. Someone even said "Hey, where Kimmy
Clijsters?". :lol:

I think people have finally come around and want to see new faces.
The American dominance is a tad to predictable, and well..the people
I know what to see more good playing from a non-choking Amelie,
more Kimmy, more Justine and more charging Russian girls.

It's not that they don't like the Sisters; but it's somehow more
interesting if they aren't beating the crap outta skinny girls
everytime. Even Lindsay's blowing away players with her serve
is not that interesting to the neutrals I know. Don't get them wrong,
they do want them to be in the mix, and in the draw for the
big show down; but it's just more fun if you can't foresee a winner.

Hmmmmmm. :eek: :eek:

bandabou
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:35 AM
This is the truth. I thought I would lose all interest at RG with
Justine taking an early bow before the finale; but it's been really fascinating. I was enjoying the Jie Zheng saga, the Shinobu Asagoe
mini run, the Sharapova jump into the headlines, the Argentines
revenge(Hi Gauston!) etc... The 4th round was boring; but the
refreshing exuberance of ED, and Myskina's homage to Hingis has
been really entertaining for the semi's and dare I say fun?
Yes, very fun. :)

I was watching the highlight show with neutrals and they absolutely
loved seeing ED and Myskina. They couldn't believe how well these
skinny fearless, charming Russian girls were really giving it to big, star
American tennis players. Someone even said "Hey, where Kimmy
Clijsters?". :lol:

I think people have finally come around and want to see new faces.
The American dominance is a tad to predictable, and well..the people
I know what to see more good playing from a non-choking Amelie,
more Kimmy, more Justine and more charging Russian girls.

It's not that they don't like the Sisters; but it's somehow more
interesting if they aren't beating the crap outta skinny girls
everytime. Even Lindsay's blowing away players with her serve
is not that interesting to the neutrals I know. Don't get them wrong,
they do want them to be in the mix, and in the draw for the
big show down; but it's just more fun if you can't foresee a winner.

Hmmmmmm. :eek: :eek:

so theyīre o.k. with seeing Juju and Kim lose too or is that only for the Williamses?!

Frongie
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:37 AM
They are going down i think.

Veritas
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:38 AM
so theyīre o.k. with seeing Juju and Kim lose too or is that only for the Williamses?!

Like someone said above, Venus and Serena are the tour's biggest drawcards. With them out early, journalists would have to find something at least interesting about them to write about.

Obviously, some journalists chose to "discuss" about Venus and Serena's "erosion" of form, without taking into account that both have been sidelined for months with injury and both have won BIG titles since their comeback.

bandabou
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:50 AM
Like someone said above, Venus and Serena are the tour's biggest drawcards. With them out early, journalists would have to find something at least interesting about them to write about.

Obviously, some journalists chose to "discuss" about Venus and Serena's "erosion" of form, without taking into account that both have been sidelined for months with injury and both have won BIG titles since their comeback.

Uhumm...think about it. Both Serena and Venus already won a tier I, but Kim hasnīt won one yet...now a earlier than usual loss at a slam on their weakest surface and theyīve already lost their skills and are yesterdayīs news?!

Greenout
Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:16 AM

There you go again. It's useless talking to you. I feel like an
idiot talking and being neutral. You expect everyone to say
great things about Venus and Serena, yet you refuse to give
our favorites any ounce of respect. It's not even a dialogue.
Go ahead thrash everyone on tour, they dont' care- look at
RG! React to RG, not the what if's, what could be? Look I'm
ok- with just talking about what's going on and I refuse to
be stupid and say "oh..if only Justine had hung around longer"
etc... It's bullshit. She's not in the semi's. This is the way it
goes, it works both ways. You snooze, you lose. You lose, your
not in the draw- can't change what happened unless you've got
some sort of time reversal machine. :p

Oh...whatever. Go ahead- hate the semi finals. I'm watching both
matches "live" and enjoying it.

bandabou
Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:41 AM
There you go again. It's useless talking to you. I feel like an
idiot talking and being neutral. You expect everyone to say
great things about Venus and Serena, yet you refuse to give
our favorites any ounce of respect. It's not even a dialogue.
Go ahead thrash everyone on tour, they dont' care- look at
RG! React to RG, not the what if's, what could be? Look I'm
ok- with just talking about what's going on and I refuse to
be stupid and say "oh..if only Justine had hung around longer"
etc... It's bullshit. She's not in the semi's. This is the way it
goes, it works both ways. You snooze, you lose. You lose, your
not in the draw- can't change what happened unless you've got
some sort of time reversal machine. :p

Oh...whatever. Go ahead- hate the semi finals. I'm watching both
matches "live" and enjoying it.

You lost me here....your earlier post said that people were tired or something about the williamses dominating and were glad that they lost or to see fresh faces in the SF right?! Then I asked you: were those people happy that Justine lost early too or that Kim didnīt play?! Because they have been the dominating forces lately and not the Williamses...the Williamses just came back no?!