PDA

View Full Version : I feel the worst for..........

Knizzle
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:36 AM
Momo. Although the sisters are my faves I feel really bad for Momo to lose. I really though she was in a "bubble" and wouldn't feel pressure until the final maybe. It must be tough to go through this year after year in your home country. Yeah, The WS and Justine all lost early too, but they are also multiple GS champions and have confidence they will win more. This just sucks for Amelie. I was hoping for either her or Paola to win after the sisters were knocked off. Bounce back Momo.

ys
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:39 AM
I agree. The French public puts so much pressure on her that it starts looking like a duty rather than game. But for the second in row that pressure doesn't have much to do with her loss. She was outplayed - plain and simple.

Leo_DFP
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:40 AM
She will, once she gets off home soil. ;)

I don't think her loss today had much to do with all the pressure, though. She was simply outplayed by someone who was more aggressive and precise. Mauresmo really needs to learn to come to net more because she is naturally an excellent net player and she must avoid being caught in a defensive role in back-court rallies, as she did today and against Davenport in Amelia Island. I also think she should improve that serve, although with her bad back, I understand how difficult it is for her to work on that part of her game.

Knizzle
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:42 AM
I agree. The French public puts so much pressure on her that it starts looking like a duty rather than game. But for the second in row that pressure doesn't have much to do with her loss. She was outplayed - plain and simple.
Oh I saw that ED beat her into the ground, but Momo was "supposed" to win.

saah1608
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:44 AM
I second and third it. Not the biggest fan of momo, but I felt like this was as good as opportunities get in terms of taking one for the home team. I just knew she was going to take advantage. Elena is good but, but damn momo opportunities such as these with the willies, the belgians and so forth gone, you are suppose to cruise to victory. It was a bad day for the favorites, but I still sense a little choking on momo's part. This was hers to lose and she did.

Diesel
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:49 AM
Yeah I know what you mean. I'm not an Amelie fan by any stretch of the imagination but I wouldn't have been mad if she won the whole tournament.

ys
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:57 AM
. It was a bad day for the favorites, but I still sense a little choking on momo's part. This was hers to lose and she did.
You see, you can claim "choking" when a player has self-destructed, but it was not the case. She was outhit. She was not in control of the match. Dementieva was.

Knizzle
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:59 AM
This is not an arguing thread people.

- L i n a -
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:04 AM
You see, you can claim "choking" when a player has self-destructed, but it was not the case. She was outhit. She was not in control of the match. Dementieva was.
I don't know if Amelie "choked", but she definitely played "not to lose".

Certainly, some of the reason for that goes to Lena though... with her impressive backcourt game.

Berlin_Calling
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:05 AM
I felt kinda bad for Momo as well. This was the best opportunity she was going to get to win here with the draw opening up and she knew it. You could tell that she was panicking towards the end of the match showing more emotion. With that said, Im just really happy that Elena came through because frankly, I was rooting for her to win. I hope she can win the whole thing now.

Knizzle
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:06 AM
I don't know if Amelie "choked", but she definitely played "not to lose".

Certainly, some of the reason for that goes to Lena though... with her impressive backcourt game.
I agree.

azinna
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:13 AM
It was strange. After the Sisters lost I left the house to run the necessary errands. When I returned in the evening I logged on, hoping to verify that Momo was in the semis. Finding out the opposite made me realise just how much I wanted her to take this opportunity.

Seh and Kim will be pulling at my heart strings for some time. Hope either one can get that Win soon.

Greenout
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:30 AM
It was half choking and looking very worried about losing. You did watch
the entire match "live" right? Well..I did, and she hit some really tepid
shots into net, and balls were going out of the lines. This is the person
that doesn't miss on clay, and there she was looking as scared as JCF,
JHH and Agassi last week. A very dark cloud hovering over her head
during the entire 2 sets.

Jericho
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:33 AM
Does anyone else find today rather amusing? Even though my two faves lost.
I logged on and checked the roland garros official page listings of women's completed matches...looking the results of all 4 matches at once made me laugh until my stomach hurt

tenn_ace
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:48 AM
yeah I do feel for Amelie too... in fact, I wasn't taking seriously all those discussions about her feeling pressure. I thought after so many years playing there, she really should be ready for any kind of pressure.

maybe, winning another Slam first (like AO) could help her in the future to win FO

lolo21
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:11 PM
i maintain what i said before:if amelie didn t change his general attitude(being more agressive,searching more the winners than waiting errors from opponent),she will NEVER win any GS,mark my words.
a few years ago, when there weren t the Williams sis and the belgium, she could have perhaps win a GS with his actual attitude (like martinez in wimbledon a long time ago..) but not now
It s not such a coincidence that she has really bad records against players like the WS,davenport and clijsters ,players that are agressive from 1st point to last.
also , the fact that she always chokes in FO because of the pressure of the french public is ridiculous for me
we could use it as an excuse if she had already won others GS but that s not the case so...

tennnisfannn
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:52 PM
Personally I thought the pressure thing was welll behind her now. At some point players stop choking, like serena, and justine did. At some point a player steps and amelie is long overdue for a slam.
If jen wins, it will be very painful for Amelie, she almost owns her.

crazillo
Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:18 PM
She convinced everyone in Round 4 with this straight sets win over Maleeva. I thought she would have gotten some confidence after it but I was wrong.

Ballbuster
Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:12 PM
Personally, I'm estatic that Amelie lost. Paris would have been too happy to have one of their own marching towards the finals.

This knocked the steam out of them. That crowd deserved to pay high price tickets to watch unknowns.

Kart
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:09 PM
My sympathies for Amelie but even with the sisters out, this title still had to be won. Elena stepped up and Amelie couldn't match her :bigcry:.