PDA

View Full Version : We'll bounce back at Wimbledon vow the Williams sisters

Knizzle
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:12 PM
We'll bounce back at Wimbledon, vow Williams sisters
June 1, 2004 PARIS (AFP) - Serena and Venus Williams (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/87/) were knocked out of the French Open quarter-finals in the space of half an hour but both girls warned their rivals they will back firing on all cylinders at Wimbledon .

Second seed Serena, the 2002 champion here, went down 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 to compatriot, and 2001 winner, Jennifer Capriati (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/97/) on the Philippe Chatrier Centre Court.

Thirty minutes later, fourth seed Venus was also heading for the airport after falling in straight sets 6-3, 6-4 to Russian sixth seed Anastasia Myskina (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/101/) over on the Suzanne Lenglen Court.

http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/di/discovery_comm/yahspo_300x250_big_ton_060104.gif (http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129d5rmtc/M=296578.4945194.6136995.1806201/D=sports/S=96058020:LREC/EXP=1086203277/A=2167874/R=2/id=noscript/SIG=12bf7nd95/*http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/big/big.html?through=campaign|big|yahoo) "We are both very competitive more than anything and we will not accept performing below a level of what we expect from ourselves," said Venus, who won the last of her four Grand Slam titles at the US Open in 2001.

Both sisters have been dogged by injury problems and were far from being in peak condition coming into Roland Garros and Tuesday's damp, overcast and heavy conditions in Paris did nothing to improve their moods.

Serena had played in just four tournaments this year having been sidelined for eight months with a knee injury, while Venus's participation had been in doubt after she was forced to default from the German Open final last month because of an ankle injury.

Despite a fightback in the second set, six-time Grand Slam winner Serena gave an error-strewn performance committing 45 unforced errors and lost her serve five times against Capriati who had broken a three-year losing streak at the hands of Serena in Rome last month.

Venus's performance was on a par, against an opponent whom she had beaten in their previous two meetings, losing her serve four times and committing 42 errors.

"I would have liked better preparation," said Venus who has won two clay court tournaments in Charleston and Warsaw this spring to build up a 19-match winning clay streak in the run-up to Roland Garros.

"I wasn't really in a rhythm today. Normally, I don't think she would beat me because she can't hurt me. Next time I will be ready.

"The opposition are getting stronger. They have lifted their level but if I am healthy I will be playing well."

Serena too was keen to stress that the sisters are not losing interest in a sport they dominated up to two seasons ago.

"I was an amateur today," said Serena who hit back at suggestions that she is more interested in building an acting career than reconstructing her tennis game.

"If that was the case I would be on the set of a movie right now and not at Roland Garros. I have all kinds of opportunities to be doing different things, films and stuff like that, but I am here."

-----------------------------------

Strong words from the sisters. Go Williams!!

Updated on Tuesday, Jun 1, 2004

bandabou
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:19 PM
Hmmm......weīll see. They have history on their sides...thatīs for sure.

raquel
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:24 PM
They own the place, but after this RG I am making no more predictions :)

LindsayRocks89
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:26 PM
thats the way to be girls, you'll be back at wimbledon, and i'll be ready for your return to the winners circle :bounce:

SJW
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:30 PM
They own the place, but after this RG I am making no more predictions :)
i heard that. don't expect me to be predicting you to win ur first rounders girls :)

WorldWar24
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:30 PM
If they don't get Wimbly, williams fans can always look back to what Jelena Dokic said this year, and apologize :bowdown:

j/k :angel:

Declan
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:31 PM
They and their supporters really shouldn't be too surprised at today's results, given their long enforced lay off, and the stop-start season they've both experienced since their returns. And clay was always arguably their least good surface. I too fully expect them to be at Wimbledon as the players to beat. Hopefully they'll build up some momentum there, and I certainly wouldn't expect the likes of Myskina or Dementieva to remotely trouble either Venus or Serena on grass.

Kart
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:33 PM
I hope they do bounce back - it's about time they reminded the rest of the tour how good they can be :).

Cariaoke
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:34 PM
love you, girls!

:hearts: :kiss:

Knizzle
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:34 PM
I'm totally shocked at Venus losing. I am a little less shocked over Serena, but still shocked nonetheless. Venus looked really rundown today. I can't remember when I've last seen her like this for 2 straight losing sets.

le bon vivant
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:35 PM
"I wasn't really in a rhythm today. Normally, I don't think she would beat me because she can't hurt me. Next time I will be ready."

Whoa, and I thought Serena was the ungracious one. This is classic!

Black Mamba.
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:35 PM
The losses today were good because they escaped Paris without getting injured again, and IMO the more injury free tennis they are able to play the quicker they will be able to get back into top form

jack duckworth
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by nikerulz
The losses today were good because they escaped Paris without getting injured again, and IMO the more injury free tennis they are able to play the quicker they will be able to get back into top form

you know..something you say really make me
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bandabou
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:41 PM
Sometimes you learn more from your losses than from your wins. anybody who saw Serenaīs face and still thinks that the girl has lost the competitive fire... These losses hurt them very much. It was kinda of double blow. But I expect them to bounce back. They are too good to not bounce back.

raquel
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:45 PM
I'm totally shocked at Venus losing. I am a little less shocked over Serena, but still shocked nonetheless. Venus looked really rundown today. I can't remember when I've last seen her like this for 2 straight losing sets.

I think it is literally as far back as that Martina Hingis match at the Aussie Open a few years ago? :eek: The loss to Sveta this year, I just thought Sveta played well.

People were tipping Venus to win here, she was the form player but it didn't happen and from this article she is clearly now looking to Wimbledon. I think Wimbledon is her favourite Slam. I don't know about Serena, but I always get the impression Wimbledon is somewhere Venus likes and she is real comfortable on the grass, even more than Serena possibly.

bandabou
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:48 PM
Youīre right....Venusīs better on grass, while Serena excels on hardcourts.

spudrsca
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:51 PM
The player to avoid in the 3rd or 4rd round is Sharapova, she's very good on grass.

fammmmedspin
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:55 PM
Are they playing anywhere before Wimbledon or does the interview say they are not playing to get heathy?

StarDuvallGrant
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:57 PM
Positivity is the right attitude and moving forward and learning from one's mistakes. The Sisters are on the right course. I look forward to what they've got at Wimbledon.

SJW
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:59 PM
I think it is literally as far back as that Martina Hingis match at the Aussie Open a few years ago? :eek: The loss to Sveta this year, I just thought Sveta played well.

People were tipping Venus to win here, she was the form player but it didn't happen and from this article she is clearly now looking to Wimbledon. I think Wimbledon is her favourite Slam. I don't know about Serena, but I always get the impression Wimbledon is somewhere Venus likes and she is real comfortable on the grass, even more than Serena possibly.
Venus loves wimbledon and definately loves Venus.

Serena said when she was younger, she wanted to win the USO the most. but she loves Wimbledon too, and i'm sure she's not ready to give up her title yet.

should make for interesting reading :) i kinda want Serena to be mad after a loss again :o her and Venus seem to have changed roles...

tennisIlove09
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:02 PM
Recently?
01 AO SF
02 Miami SF
02 French F
02 US F

:o

I have faith, and I am not that upset actually.

Julian
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:03 PM
I did not like Venus comments..they may be true but IMO Anatasia didnt have to play her best tennis today to beat Venus.

That being said..I cant wait until there will be a grand slam where everybody is healthy and playing their BEST..

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:06 PM
Are they playing anywhere before Wimbledon or does the interview say they are not playing to get heathy?
The sisters don't play a tournament before Wimbledon.

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:06 PM
I did not like Venus comments..they may be true but IMO Anatasia didnt have to play her best tennis today to beat Venus.

That being said..I cant wait until there will be a grand slam where everybody is healthy and playing their BEST..
It looks like you may have to wait until the US Open.

thelittlestelf
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:08 PM
The sisters vow and follow through with winning at Wimbledon every year. Last year both sisters had disappointing French Opens and both of them made it to the final, even an injured Venus!

arn
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:15 PM

That being said..I cant wait until there will be a grand slam where everybody is healthy and playing their BEST..I agree on both parts. In her interview Myskina said she played the backhand of Venus to open up the court in the forehand, but it stopped after she played in Venus' backhand.

Still, a good Venus should beat her in big tournaments (THE place where the real toppers are supposed to win against their close competitors). I'm sure bith will bounce back, but maybe grass is too soon?:confused:

bandabou
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:40 PM
hmm.....first time in years that I donīt dare to make any predictions about the sisters at a slam, even wimbledon.....I was more happy with Serenaīs display than Venusīs. In that Serena actually adapted her game to her opponent a bit....yeah, she slipped a bit in the third-set, but after the 1st set she actually played a pretty clean match. It was just stunning for me otoh to see how Venus couldnīt do anything against Myskina.....she couldnīt hurt the girl with anything. Shocking. Since when does ANYBODY attack Venusīs backhand and doesnīt pay the price?!

DA FOREHAND
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:45 PM
hmm.....first time in years that I donīt dare to make any predictions about the sisters at a slam, even wimbledon.....I was more happy with Serenaīs display than Venusīs. In that Serena actually adapted her game to her opponent a bit....yeah, she slipped a bit in the third-set, but after the 1st set she actually played a pretty clean match. It was just stunning for me otoh to see how Venus couldnīt do anything against Myskina.....she couldnīt hurt the girl with anything. Shocking. Since when does ANYBODY attack Venusīs backhand and doesnīt pay the price?!

Exactly...she took away Venus's strength, thus giving Venus no confidence in any part of her game.

le bon vivant
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:08 PM
Yeah, they were so damn ready for Roland Garros too! http://www.ltmn.com/forums/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif Please, I'm not believing anything until I see your form at your first round match. These losses today were totally disappointing and preventable, results of poor play/preparation. Plus, I think Serena really needs to focus, if she doesn't want Nike to drop her like Reebok dropped Venus. Serena's contract has performance stipulations as well.

bandabou
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:12 PM
So reebok really dropped Venus?! Hmm...I guess I missed that one.

1jackson2001
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:00 AM
Poor Venus

lizchris
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:17 AM
Yeah, they were so damn ready for Roland Garros too! http://www.ltmn.com/forums/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif Please, I'm not believing anything until I see your form at your first round match. These losses today were totally disappointing and preventable, results of poor play/preparation. Plus, I think Serena really needs to focus, if she doesn't want Nike to drop her like Reebok dropped Venus. Serena's contract has performance stipulations as well.
That's news to me that Venus was dropped by Reebok.

If I am not mistaken, they opted out of the final two years of her contract based on performance issues, but said that they are going to renegotiate with her, which I thoughtthey were in the process of doing.

ys
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:32 AM
Wimbledon will be very interesting. Venus had an excellent clay season and Serena won Miami. But the main question - whether the sisters can get back to their dominating level has no answer yet. It still seems to me, from watching Venus's matches this year that her athletic abilities suffered and she is nowhere near her best physically, especially in terms of footspeed. Clay was helping her in that sense for quite a while but when the wet and slow conditions of RG turned outhitting game into outmaneuvering game, she simply didn't know how to win points any more and her footwork deficiences instantly translated into a stream of UEs while lower bounce and heavy balls took away her hitting power.

Wimbledon conditions will be, game-wise, very much like today's RG conditions ( see Henman's success ) with the only exception that Venus's serve will be much more effective. I am not so convinced that will be enough.

As to Serena, she should have been out already against Kirilenko, so it is really diificult to see where she is really at the moment.

Leo_DFP
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:55 AM
Nice to see that they were really gracious and humble in defeat. :rolleyes:

Diesel
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:00 AM
Nice to see that they were really gracious and humble in defeat. :rolleyes:

Nice to see that's all you were nitpicking for. :rolleyes:

VeNuS#1LoVa
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:15 AM
I hope they are on opposite sides and we see an exciting Williams Final.

My perfect scenario, Venus wins 7-6,6-7,7-6, it's an all out serving war, Venus volleying great, Serena even a little too. Just a close match with lots of winners, running, aces, grunts, and exciteing play.

LindsayRocks89
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:21 AM
well wimbledon is like their backyard, but i really don't have that confidence anymore, that when they step on court they will win every single match like i felt before, i mean in 2003 even though i wanted others to win, i always knew in the back of my mind that The williams find a way to win, 2003 aussie semi, i figured serena would come back, her matches aganist jen in 2003, i figured she would win in 3, Venus aganist clijsters even though injured, i just felt she would win, but in 2004 its alot different, their games just arent at the same level as last year, especially 2002, but all i know is that they will bounce back eventually and i'm sure they will return to their form, they've just had a rough time coming back, with recouring injuries, i wish them the best at wimbledon and hope they prove their doubters.

Jericho
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:30 AM
My perfect scenario, Venus wins 7-6,6-7,7-6, it's an all out serving war, Venus volleying great, Serena even a little too. Just a close match with lots of winners, running, aces, grunts, and exciteing play.
I hate to burst your bubble, but that is unlikely to happen...especially since there is not third set tiebreak :p

Rub
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:43 AM
we'll see then!

treufreund
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:08 AM
yes, gracious as ever :rolleyes:

Diesel
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:28 AM
Go Venus and Serena!!

Their have reason to be confident in themselves - bring on Wimbledon! :)

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:29 AM
Go Venus!!

Go Serena!!

I still believe in the Williams sisters!!

Make it happen at Wimbledon!!

Knizzle
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:54 AM
Here's a post match interview from Venus.

http://www.venuswilliams.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=66441

bandabou
Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:56 AM
well wimbledon is like their backyard, but i really don't have that confidence anymore, that when they step on court they will win every single match like i felt before, i mean in 2003 even though i wanted others to win, i always knew in the back of my mind that The williams find a way to win, 2003 aussie semi, i figured serena would come back, her matches aganist jen in 2003, i figured she would win in 3, Venus aganist clijsters even though injured, i just felt she would win, but in 2004 its alot different, their games just arent at the same level as last year, especially 2002, but all i know is that they will bounce back eventually and i'm sure they will return to their form, they've just had a rough time coming back, with recouring injuries, i wish them the best at wimbledon and hope they prove their doubters.

Yep...got the feeling too. The aura isnīt there any longer.

Martian Jeza
Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:57 AM
thats the way to be girls, you'll be back at wimbledon, and i'll be ready for your return to the winners circle :bounce:

They can stay for a while in the losers circle, don't you think so ?