PDA

View Full Version : Of the four matches, Dementieva played the best !!! :)

New
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:56 PM
I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but comparing all four matches, Dementieva vs Mauresmo was the best! :bounce:

Firstly, the other three were just patient and smart play by opponents to wait for the aggressive player to self destruct with inaccurate shots...

It is very smart to do that...but I dun wish for it to be a trend and every match in the future to be all patient play...and all matches will be 3-4 hours...if none of the players go for the attack...

Even though Sharapova, Venus, Serena lost their matches, they tried and went for broke...just not accurate though...Credit to them for at least trying! :yeah:

Paola was good but Sharapova gave more points away (40 unforced errors, did i get that wrong?)

The Serena and Jenny match was shockingly slow...it was the only three setter, but it was the one that showed the least brilliance... Serena had shots flying all over and when she settled down, rain stopped play and broke her momentum...Meanwhile Jenny played quite defensively, ocassionally going for some nice shots, but basically Serena gave points...

With all the upsets, i guess poor Jenny had nerves too! imagine if she cannot win a seemingly injured Serena... But luckily she closed it out...Serena surprisingly seemed meek and only when she injured her leg we see her going for shots to end long rally and some were superb... but overall very below par match...

Myskina matched Venus's strokes well, but was another patient player who benefited when venus went for shots and did not get it right. Still it's not easy to match venus's strokes... but seeing last year's matches that she played...i guess it's new tactics to play safe rally...

Finally, it was all about hitting winners and was Elena going all the way!!! Unlike Maria, Serena, and Venus, she was more accurate and gave a nervous Mauresmo problems.. but that should be the way of most matches...i really want her to win now more than before the tournament...cos i saw her play and i think she deserves it for working so hard...her net play was good and she kept the double faults to a minimum...for her standard...

but it won't be easy cos Paola did stop the power punching Zheng in straight sets... oh well...maybe we'll see a more active semifinal match!!! Go Dementieva!!! :bounce: :banana:

kodeRED
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:04 PM
i totally agree... dementieva played very well... i like her chances against saurez.. and then against either capriati or myskina... i am so proud of her..... she is great ... and i truly feel that once she gets more exposure she will bring a new audience or at least build up the audience and she will be great for the tour... despite what many are saying will be a low tv rated final & semi's.

Thierry's_Ladee
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:07 PM
I agree Dementieva played explosive tennis I really hope her and Jen Jen meet in the final...that will be a cracker!

Hantuchov
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:11 PM
Nice comments.

I couldnt watch her match, but accoring to the statiscts and to the other people who also watched the match, Alyona really attacked Amelie, putting more pressure on her.

I like this kind of attitude, just makes her confidence going higher and higher, and with confidence on her, she cuts the DF's down.

I hope she can keep this solid match against Paola. Great chance for both of them of reaching their 1st Grand Slam Final, but I hope the one who fought harder takes it.

Udachi Alyona! :bounce:

Dava
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:12 PM
Elena has played like she has never played before, she was brave, and just went for everything :D Im so proud of her :bounce:

Slumpsova
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:18 PM
what a luck:eek: ! i mean, in 3R she almost lost to Pistolesi (or atleast she should) but she survived, killing Lindsay and now Amelie. with the way she played today i think she's the best.

fammmmedspin
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:46 PM
Elena was like Graf on fast forward. Jennifer struck out when she needed to. Myskina frazzled venus in the same way as Elena did Momo but by mixing it up and going for angles. myskina wins though by doing what is necessary on the key points. Comes down to if you prefer continous briliance in the attack or someone who grabs a win with brilliance when neede. Both were great viewing today.

Julian
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:47 PM
Its just amazing how well Elena is doing with such a serve like that!

Imagine how her ranking would be with a GOOD 1st serve! (mention I said GOOD not GREAT) lol

Dokicfan17
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:43 PM
well mayeb she wouldnt be that good?.....that serve throws EVERYONE off....its very smart and unique....notice that players cant really pounce on it and it throws them off because she can also mix it up...very smart serve and even she said " i like my serve".....so...:) yAy

DEETHELICK
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:51 PM
I didnt see the other but Elena did play well, udachi girl! :)

I hope she just keeps this momentum going and wins her next match first! :D

CJ07
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:00 PM
definately, I didn't see Jen, but she wasn't outhitting Serena, which Elena was doing to Amelie

Other than the placement, the serve wasn't all that bad either

beauty_is_pink
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:22 PM
ELENA!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Stephieva
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:26 PM
me agrees...
me saw all matches...
lena is v cool 2day...:worship:

faboozadoo15
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:26 PM
yea, elena's awesome. now if only she could hit against the righty slice... :lol:

no matter, i think she has the best ground stroke package of anyone in the world.

Mase
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:29 PM
She was on fire today, I have to say. Quite impressed!

Vass22
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:32 PM
I totally agree. Dementieva was the player of the quarters, and Momo was playing well too. I can't forger those shots on Momo's forehand, which happened in every game, which forced momo to lob on full strech.

Abdoul
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:53 PM
yeah , i like that rusian chick
she's so pretty and fuckable.

http://www.wtaworld.com/images/smilies/banana.gif
http://www.wtaworld.com/images/smilies/banana.gif

Topher950
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:57 PM
UI was really surprised by how hard and well dementieva was hitting the ball...man she was crushing it on the run and all!!!!!! GO DEMENTIEVA!!!

Greenout
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:21 AM
Yep, I've got to see the entire Capster -vs- Serena match live and there
were too much tension and rain delays. Sharpy -vs- Paola was sound of
one little girl who could be a huge star getting too jittery. Myskina- vs- Venus
I got to watch from the second set live, and it was all Myskina in control
of the rallies.

Ed-vs- Amelie was the most entertaining because there was a full house in
the stands, and the match was interesting. Amelie was playing with such
doom and gloom choking points, where as Elena was doing he happy,
happy forehand play. She even laughed at her own mistakes. I have to
hand it to Elena for playing against the entire stadium, and the hopes of
a nation and Amelie, yet able to charge net, and go ahead with her
strategy. There was an obvious strategy to breakdown that 1-handed
back and and charge net before Amelie can. Really exuberant playing,
she covered her weak serves with positive offensive tennis.

Sharapova's_Boy
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:38 AM
Yep, Elena was the best :yeah:

I have never seen her play like that before... she was pounding everything, and even her slice serve actually proved to be affective :bolt:

But now she will be the overwhelming favorite against Paola, which will be a change. She wasn't expected to beat Lindsay or Amelie, and now all this pressure against a lower ranked opponent... :scared:

tenn_ace
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:42 AM
actually Elena vs. Amelie was the best women's match of this tournament (from what I've seen)

Veritas
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:43 AM
But now she will be the overwhelming favorite against Paola, which will be a change. She wasn't expected to beat Lindsay or Amelie, and now all this pressure against a lower ranked opponent... :scared:

I doubt it, since it's well known amongst tennis fans and players that Paola's an exceptional player on clay courts (plus, her "easy" road to the Semis isn't just b/c of the "easy" opponents she had in her draw). I think there'd be a lot of pressure on Paola as well (mostly by the South American fans) to give Argentina a chance to have a least one male and female in the RG finals this year.

But still, I agree that there's some pressure on Elena as well, esp. if Anastacia makes it to the finals...

New
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:01 PM
Wow!!! I din expect so many people to agree with me i was expecting some bashing... but anyway, it wasn't the aggressors' day as their shot went out mostly and let us all appluade their efforts at trying and at least making it to the quarterfinals...:yeah:

it's not that easy cos this french open is so crazy..anyone could have gone out and we can see for most of the matches, the girls all had problems closing out a match...even Elena herself...:bounce: :banana:

But it still come down to who's mentally strong to finish a game knowing full well it was a huge upset...we have seen tons of times what happens when players can close it out despite having match points... good work to all the Quarterfinalists!! Now all the best to all the Semifinalist!!! :bounce: