PDA

View Full Version : Without her backhand Venus is a top twenty player

DA FOREHAND
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:06 PM
Her backhand really let her down today, her serve and forehand have always been a little shakey. Her backhand really let her down today.

Myskina played a very smart match today, she recognized Venus was misfiring on the backhand and had the guts to go to that side, and it worked out for her. Venus missed three backhands in the final game two on breakpoints.

:sad:

cheo23
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:09 PM
Well its true..but when U're horrible SERVe is lettin U down and U're sucky forehand technique is failin u..U're Backhand will definetly desert U in time of NEED! GET IT TOGETHER ..its nothin NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DA FOREHAND
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:10 PM
Well its true..but when U're horrible SERVe is lettin U down and U're sucky forehand technique is failin u..U're Backhand will definetly desert U in time of NEED! GET IT TOGETHER ..its nothin NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that's not true Venus has always been able to rely on her backhand when all else is misfiring...today she couldn't.

cheo23
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:15 PM
whateVER! Even last Year when she lost to VERA ..her backhand let her down too when U're sucky SERVE & terrible forehand technique let her down also..like I said..when U're SERVE & Forehand are down and out..it affects U're Backhand! Look at last years match with Meghan at the Nasdaq Open. Its nothin NEW! GEt iT together!

cheo23
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:17 PM
by the way..her Forehand is always shaky not a little shaky! God KNows how many times that Forehand goes to the net or way out..its Just Horrible! I've Been Sayin.she Needs a NEW Coach to instruct her how to really hit a good proper Forehand shot! Get it Together VENus & also learn how to hit 2nd SERVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is that too much to Ask??????????????/// LOL

VRULES
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:23 PM
Are you kinding me, Venus's backhand is what kept her in that match last year. How many times was she pulled out wide and hit the winner down the line. Thats why Vera kept going to her forehand.

And venus's serve isn't that bad. It isn't the best, but it is a hell of a lot better than a lot of the top ten. (Myskina, Elene D., JCap-she had a good serve day..) When Venus is confident she is fine on all accounts, but todays she sucked. Period no excuses.

Congrates Myskina.

DA FOREHAND
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:24 PM
whateVER! Even last Year when she lost to VERA ..her backhand let her down too when U're sucky SERVE & terrible forehand technique let her down also..like I said..when U're SERVE & Forehand are down and out..it affects U're Backhand! Look at last years match with Meghan at the Nasdaq Open. Its nothin NEW! GEt iT together!

last year she had an abdominal strain and shouldn't have played the French Open . DUMB DUMB

Venus Forever
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:25 PM
What let Venus down was her lack of aggression.

Sure, she was probably discouraged by the errors that she was making when trying to be aggressive, but she was making just as many, if not more, when she was just trying to get the ball back in. She might as well have attacked, who knows, it might just go in. What a better way to get into a groove then to just continually play your game??

I don't know, sometimes she astounds me with her play.

DA FOREHAND
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:26 PM
Are you kinding me, Venus's backhand is what kept her in that match last year. How many times was she pulled out wide and hit the winner down the line. Thats why Vera kept going to her forehand.

And venus's serve isn't that bad. It isn't the best, but it is a hell of a lot better than a lot of the top ten. (Myskina, Elene D., JCap-she had a good serve day..) When Venus is confident she is fine on all accounts, but todays she sucked. Period no excuses.

Congrates Myskina.
EXACTLY

Venus won four slams and made four other slam finals w/the same strokes.

cheo23
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:27 PM
yeah but durin the last game with VERa..VERA kept hittin to Venus's Forehand & her final shot she would hit to Venus's backhand..where VEnus hit the unforced Error to the net or way out! Believe Me! I saw that match! like I said..when U're sucky SERVe & Forehand are lettin U down..its bound to affect U're BAckhand! GET it Together People!

DA FOREHAND
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:28 PM

Sure, she was probably discouraged by the errors that she was making when trying to be aggressive, but she was making just as many, if not more, when she was just trying to get the ball back in. She might as well have attacked, who knows, it might just go in. What a better way to get into a groove then to just continually play your game??

I agree w/this too. She failded to move forward when she had several oppurtunities.

cheo23
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:28 PM
Yeah but she hasn't won a Grand Slam since 2001 US Open..that was so Long AGo! the Players always seem to go to her forehand and attack her Serve..until she changes that..I don't expect her to rEpeat as Grand Slam Champion! Only at Wimbledon possibly

pigam
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:29 PM
I didn't see the whole match, but there was something wrong with Venus :unsure:
It was namely her forehand that let her down (again), no?

Commentators pointed out she moves so much better on the clay (well, everybody could notice that) but today :bolt: :sad:

I think you can say the same thing about a lot of players, take away a player's most dangerous weapon and she becomes a much 'lesser' player. That's only normal...

DA FOREHAND
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:30 PM
Yeah but she hasn't won a Grand Slam since 2001 US Open..that was so Long AGo! the Players always seem to go to her forehand and attack her Serve..until she changes that..I don't expect her to rEpeat as Grand Slam Champion! Only at Wimbledon possibly
Non of the players left in the draw have won a slam since 01...so what's your point again? :wavey:

SJW
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:30 PM
without her right arm, she is a top 1000 player...

cheo23
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:31 PM
Whatever I'm not Dumb! I'm just point out the facts of the match with VERA..Go Watch the match and U can clearly see that her backhand failed her also especially in the last game of the match! by the way..Yes she was injuried but didn't she always say that she doesn't play if she's feelin like injuried? what changed?

cheo23
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:33 PM
Well My Point is ..that back to the original point of U're Thread is that when U're SERVE & U're horrible forehand technique its bound to affect U're Backhand! its nothin NEW! GET it together DA Forehand! I'm pretty sure the majority of tennis fans will agree with ME!

DA FOREHAND
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:34 PM
Whatever I'm not Dumb! I'm just point out the facts of the match with VERA..Go Watch the match and U can clearly see that her backhand failed her also especially in the last game of the match! by the way..Yes she was injuried but didn't she always say that she doesn't play if she's feelin like injuried? what changed?
You might not be dumb...??? but you're stuck on stupid.

Venus had an abdominal strain, it's no wonder she could hit any strokes w/effectiveness.

cheo23
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:36 PM
Well then she's Dumb if she knew she was injuried!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 I remember she said that her father tells her when U hurt Don't Play! Get it Together!

WF4EVER
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:39 PM
Why don't we start printing programmes for her burial while we're at it?

Take away every players' go-to shot and what do you have left? Why does this shit always come up when Venus loses? Is it so hard to accept that Venus was beaten by the better player today?

This thread is just so stupid! And I really don't care who doesn't like what I say. It's bullshit!

Venus played like crap today, whether it was because Myskina forced the issue or she had her own issues! If all her other shots had been working today this would be understandable but Venus' total game was crap today.

This is just sickening! Let the haters gloat all they want if they want! It's not like we haven't already analyzed poor Venus' game thru and thru millions of times!

I just can't believe this thread was started by someone other than an outright hater! This top-twenty-without-a-backhand has 4 Grand Slam titles, an Olympic Gold Medal in singles and doubles, and more than her worthy share of titles, defended and undefended, not to mention five consecutive Grand Slam FInals which she lost to the same person who happened to be her sister.

I wish you'd just give Venus a fucking break! Thank God Serena and Venus have each other for comfort because there's little here!

SerenaSlam
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:40 PM
so is it safe to say that Jennifer w/out her forehand is top 30, and Serena w/out her serve is top 15, Amelie w/out her backhand is top 20, justine w/out her backhand is top 20?

I mean no player is good when none of their weapons are working. i understand your comment but also understand that if you say this about anyone else with the exception of maybe serena (b/c she can rely on other parts of her game better than anyone else when one part is off) b/c w/out their big weapons they are very beatable.

DA FOREHAND
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:51 PM
Why don't we start printing programmes for her burial while we're at it?

Take away every players' go-to shot and what do you have left? Why does this shit always come up when Venus loses? Is it so hard to accept that Venus was beaten by the better player today?

This thread is just so stupid! And I really don't care who doesn't like what I say. It's bullshit!

Venus played like crap today, whether it was because Myskina forced the issue or she had her own issues! If all her other shots had been working today this would be understandable but Venus' total game was crap today.

This is just sickening! Let the haters gloat all they want if they want! It's not like we haven't already analyzed poor Venus' game thru and thru millions of times!

I just can't believe this thread was started by someone other than an outright hater! This top-twenty-without-a-backhand has 4 Grand Slam titles, an Olympic Gold Medal in singles and doubles, and more than her worthy share of titles, defended and undefended, not to mention five consecutive Grand Slam FInals which she lost to the same person who happened to be her sister.

I wish you'd just give Venus a fucking break! Thank God Serena and Venus have each other for comfort because there's little here!
for such a stupid thread...it allowed you to vent your frustrations at Venus' lousy play. Now tell us how you really feel. :tape:

Where O'Where is Richard when you need him?

cheo23
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:53 PM
Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

venus_envy
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:24 PM

I agree. Venus went back to play defense instead of being aggressive. I noticed in a few of her matches this tournament that she seemed to be less aggressive and went back to reacting to her opponent instead of dictating play. Venus hasn't been going to the net as much either. Its almost as if she forgot that her going to the net and being aggressive is what turned her year around, and got her on her winning streak. Venus needs somebody that will continue to direct her to remain aggressive. That's how she will be able to win matches against top players.

I really think its time she got a new coach too. It just seems to me like her mother doesn't do much as a coach (I don't think she ever really coached Venus and Serena...I think Richard was the one who coached them in the past). Now that Richard and Oracene seem to have a problem working together and for whatever reason Richard isn't around as much, I think Venus needs to see the writing on the wall and find a new coach.

She has the potential to be much better, but I just don't think her mother can help her. I know that their family is close, but I hope that Venus will be able to branch out one of these days and get somebody else to help her out with the weaknesses in her game.

tennisIlove09
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:30 PM
Bad thread.

I could say that with out her serve, Serena is a top 20 player. With out her forehand, Jennifer is a top 20 player.

Of course those are false statements. Venus' one shot doesn't make her top 10 :rolleyes:

Kart
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:34 PM
Yes but what is Dementieva without her serve ?

DA FOREHAND
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:45 PM
Yes but what is Dementieva without her serve ?
a 2004 French Open Semi-finalist. :wavey:

DA FOREHAND
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:47 PM
Bad thread.

I could say that with out her serve, Serena is a top 20 player. With out her forehand, Jennifer is a top 20 player.

Of course those are false statements. Venus' one shot doesn't make her top 10 :rolleyes:
Then say it!

Funny how people who don't like a thread always end up contributing to them, instead of just ignoring them or.... :tape:

Kart
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:48 PM
a 2004 French Open Semi-finalist. :wavey:
Too true LOL.

DA FOREHAND
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:52 PM
Too true LOL.

I guess some people aren't getting the gist of what I'm saying, w/out the backhand to pull her out, or setup easy put aways Venus doesn't have much to fall back on.

Elena w/out a serve still has devastating groundies.

Venus needs Richard. She looked lost, and Oracene looked....well like she's borrowing her daughters clothes. Venus needs fire put to that ass, and momma doesn't seem to be able to do that. :mad:

Kart
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:09 PM
I guess some people aren't getting the gist of what I'm saying, w/out the backhand to pull her out, or setup easy put aways Venus doesn't have much to fall back on.

Elena w/out a serve still has devastating groundies.

Venus needs Richard. She looked lost, and Oracene looked....well like she's borrowing her daughters clothes. Venus needs fire put to that ass, and momma doesn't seem to be able to do that. :mad: I understood you perfectly which is why I mentioned Dementieva as she is pretty much the opposite - one huge vulnerability and lots of strengths as opposed to lots of lesser vulnerabilities but some massive strengths.

Take away any one thing from Dementieva and she wouldn't be as worse off as if you took away the backhand from Venus.

It's amusing to see that Venus has had the much more successful career of the two but I suspect that all comes down to mentality.

DA FOREHAND
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:13 PM
I understood you perfectly which is why I mentioned Dementieva as she is pretty much the opposite - one huge vulnerability and lots of strengths as opposed to lots of lesser vulnerabilities but some massive strengths.

Take away any one thing from Dementieva and she wouldn't be as worse off as if you took away the backhand from Venus.

It's amusing to see that Venus has had the much more successful career of the two but I suspect that all comes down to mentality.

Which also wasn't there for Venus today. She never once even showed a glimpse of the eye of the tiger, never curled her lips in....just nothing, she looked out of sorts.

We all know she has the fire w/in her and I'm sure she'll bounce back.

WF4EVER
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:39 PM
DA Forehand, it is quite a unique feat to come to such a conclusion based on one match. Venus' backhand not working in one match does not change all that she has achieved.

Dementieva may be a 2004 Semifinalist, which is great for her, but she has not accomplished close to what Venus has (her wannabe a top-5-player-self). I just don't think you're being fair. You've just attempted to make and break Venus' career and her worth based on her performance today. How do you know that there weren't other factors affecting Venus today?

Since you're so interested in dissecting Venus' game I'd like to find out who the 20 persons would be in front of her. I find it startling that because Venus was bad on her backhand side today (and all all her sides for that matter, if anyone cared to notice) that she should be demoted to top twenty (and to hear that she has no more dimensions to her game is just even more shocking to me).

I think I really need to go read up on my tennis because as far as this thread is concerned I feel like a frigging idiot.