PDA

View Full Version : Myskina on Venus Williams...

Foot_Fault
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:04 PM
. What was different in this match, compared to the other two that you've played against her?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I think Venus not really right now in her best level, and I knew that I can beat her. And the game was like -- usually Venus like to make winners. Today was like more unforced errors.

And I just tried to keep the ball in play today.

Q. Seemed like down the stretch in some of the big rallies you kept going to her backhand. Last few points in particular.

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I was trying to open the corner for the forehand, but then she was missing also the backhand today, maybe because she was nervous as well.

But today, like I said, it was not her best tennis. I used this today.

Q. Do you think the mystique, the atmosphere around the Williams sisters, that they were so strong, so great, is over among the players?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Oh, definitely, right now, yes, because they just came back. They lost a lot of months. You know, the players kept practicing. I mean, now of course everybody believe at least that they can fight with them, you know. It's something that we can -- I mean, we can do it right now.

She sensed it as well.:sad:

Good Win Myskina!

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:06 PM
So in other words, she is saying that Venus lost more than she won?

Funny, that's what the rest of the meida is saying.

Foot_Fault
with 43 Errors, anyone could've beat her today!

Infiniti2001
Oh well, time to move on. Let's not dwell on this. Vee will bounce back :p

DA FOREHAND
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:09 PM
So in other words, she is saying that Venus lost more than she won?

Funny, that's what the rest of the meida is saying.

I think it was more than that Myskina played very clean and smart tennis Venus had a ton of backhand errors and Myskina probed that side often netting(pun intended) positive results.

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:10 PM
Oh well, time to move on. Let's not dwell on this. Vee will bounce back :p

Myskina says the same thing, but says it will be harder for both her and Serena

Updated: 12:57 PM EDT
Tennis-Open-Myskina overcomes nerves and Venus in Paris
By Ossian Shine, Reuters

PARIS, June 1 (Reuters) - Anastasia Myskina overcame crippling nerves and former world number one Venus Williams to reach her first grand slam semi-final on Tuesday at the French Open.
Now she has her sights set on the title -- and the top ranking.

"My dream had been to win the first round here," laughed the player who had won just one match in four previous visits to Roland Garros.

"But I feel pretty good right now," the Russian said after the 6-3 6-4 win.

"I have never beaten Venus before, and I think it was a good match. I really fought, and I really, really wanted to win today. I was so nervous.

"I'm really, really happy. But, you know, it's not the end of the tournament so I have to keep going. I know the next match is gonna be really tough because Jennifer (Capriati) is a great player and I know how much she wants to win right now.

"She beat Serena (Williams). That shows as well that she's really good. I just have to keep calm."

The player named after a Tsarina is best known for her on-court tantrums and the vocal mid-match rows she has with coach and former boyfriend Jens Gerlach.

But soon she hopes she will become a household name for her tennis rather than her temper.

"I work on everything right now, because if you want to improve... I don't just want to be number five and that's it, I want to move forward, I want to show that I can be better than that."

Myskina warned against anybody writing off the Williams sisters though after they were defeated on Tuesday.

"They just came back. They lost a lot of months. You know, the players kept practising.

"I mean, now of course everybody believes at least that they can fight with them, you know. It's something that we can -- I mean, we can do it right now.

"But they're gonna be back... they were the best; they can be the best again.

"It's gonna be little bit harder for them because I think right now more players start to believe that they can beat them."

06/01/04 12:56 ET

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited

Re the last person to say that was Lisa Raymond and the since she beat Venus at the AO, she hasn't done a damn thing, so if I were Myskina, I'd be careful of what you wish for.

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:11 PM
See... So typical of someone who doesn't know shit about tennis.

Why does a player makes UE?

When the opponent is good... DUH.

You seriously think she would have lose to Tanasugarn today?

A player tends to make unforced errors when she's facing though opposition. This isn't rocket science.
I thoguht a person makes forced errors when the other person is good.:rolleyes:

Foot_Fault
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:11 PM
See... So typical of someone who doesn't know shit about tennis.

Why does a player makes UE?

When the opponent is good... DUH.

You seriously think she would have lose to Tanasugarn today?

A player tends to make unforced errors when she's facing though opposition. This isn't rocket science.This has nothing with knowing and not knowing anything about Tennis. Appreantly when you don't Make the other player Have to Hit Balls to win Points...then Yeah, ANYONE CAN BEAT YOU.

No one is diminishing Myskina's win, she played very well, consistent and contained. But Even she Noticed How Sloppy Venus' Tennis was and you Calculate 43errors and see how many free games that would be for you.

Damned if you do...Damned if you Don't.

harloo
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:17 PM
Oh shut up Myskina, you little russian tart!!! You broke my heart today!!

Nah just kidding! LOL!!! It's ok, good win for the mosquito! Vee will be back.:D ;)

Foot_Fault
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:18 PM
You said: with 43 Errors, anyone could've beat her today!

I only answered to that.

Did I say that you diminished her win?

And if you think it's coincidental that it's against Myskina that Venus is off... You're fooling yourself. Venus would still have beated 95% of the tour today. It's just that she faced a good opponent, and the better your opponent is, the more likely you are from making errors.
It is, you have to factor in a good player, court conditions, erratic play. But unfortunately I am not going to argue with you bud. You Win, whatever you say is correct. I concede to your brilliance.

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:21 PM
BTW, Venus said in her interview that she didn't think tht Myskina beat her today either but that she beat herself because Myskina doesn't have the type of game that can threaten her.

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:22 PM
"For me, I feel like I was fortunate that I was able to play because I had so many issues before," said Venus who is struggling with an ankle injury.

"I mean, absolutely I don't think she beat me today. Normally, against this kind of game, I'm going to really do well against her because she couldn't really hurt me."

From a Reuters article from today.

tenn_ace
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:24 PM
I think it was more than that Myskina played very clean and smart tennis Venus had a ton of backhand errors and Myskina probed that side often netting(pun intended) positive results.

I just can't believe it, but I agree with you (for once).

Vass22
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:24 PM
No one is diminishing Myskina's win, she played very well, consistent and contained. But Even she Noticed How Sloppy Venus' Tennis was and you Calculate 43errors and see how many free games that would be for you.

Nastya could have not been there to win. It's tennis and there's always someone to win if the other isn't playing well, unless there's a bye. Nastya won her all other matches to ensure that SHE would be the one to make this win.

Unforced errors of Venus.... Nastya did a good job of having less unforced errors than Venus. It could have been the opposite.

harloo
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:26 PM
BTW, Venus said in her interview that she didn't think tht Myskina beat her today either but that she beat herself because Myskina doesn't have the type of game that can threaten her.
C-O-N-T-R-O-V-E-R-S-Y!! :lol:

Foot_Fault
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:31 PM
Nastya could have not been there to win. It's tennis and there's always someone to win if the other isn't playing well, unless there's a bye. Nastya won her all other matches to ensure that SHE would be the one to make this win.

Unforced errors of Venus.... Nastya did a good job of having less unforced errors than Venus. It could have been the opposite.
I don't disagree with you, but I think Cool Cunuck was trying to say Venus didn't play badly, when she obviously did. But Not saying Nastya didn't play good, I thought her returns were on, and she was consistent.

tenn_ace
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:36 PM
"For me, I feel like I was fortunate that I was able to play because I had so many issues before," said Venus who is struggling with an ankle injury.

"I mean, absolutely I don't think she beat me today. Normally, against this kind of game, I'm going to really do well against her because she couldn't really hurt me."

blah-blah-blah....

:rolleyes: @ very gracious Venus...

Foot_Fault
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:40 PM
You missed the point of my post.

I didn't say that Venus didn't play badly. I'm saying that it's NOT a coincidence that Venus is playing badly against Myskina and not against players like Tanasugarn, Kostanic and Zuluaga.
I don't negate the fact the Venus may have been going for a little more today...But in doing so, she was unable to damn up the unforce errors. There was nothing Special Myskina was doing outside of good returning. Venus was missing short, or long...and was depressing.

There were some beautiful BH exchanges that took my breath away from both...but unfortunately Venus didn't win....the uncanny thing is, I usually TOTALLY BUMMED OUT, but Not to much b/c I saw how badly she played, and it wasn't her best tennis. So hopefully she'll get fired up to harness her game for the grass. But I am Happy for Myskina, b/c I do like 1st time slammers, it's a good feeling for the world of tennis, but I am (after today) swinging my support to Dementieva, so people can get off her back!

Foot_Fault
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:41 PM
blah-blah-blah....

:rolleyes: @ very gracious Venus...
That's subtext and not totality, Venus is very gracious, but as the Sharapova comment, I don't think she took anything away from Myskina.

fammmmedspin
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:43 PM
Nastya won because she was brave enough to do something on the vital points. She toyed with waiting for a venus error but decided to win it herself. She also won it because she didn't give venus any pattern - she placed the serve, hit all over the court and mixed fast and slow, played venus's head - would give anyone trouble if they couldn't hit her of court and she's pretty fast to do that to.

tenn_ace
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:44 PM
That's subtext and not totality, Venus is very gracious, but as the Sharapova comment, I don't think she took anything away from Myskina.
you're right. I should wait and read the whole interview and not some sentences taken out of context.

WF4EVER
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:45 PM
Myskina did the right thing; she took advantage of her opportunities and she beat Venus. I'm very proud of her for what she has accomplished today and I appreciate what she said about Venus, too.

Sometimes we forget that Venus and Serena are not the only ones on the court and not the only ones who want to win the big prize.

Much Kudos to Myskina. She has never been one of my favorite players but she's very persistent and her persistence paid dividends today.

hollywood7172
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:48 PM
Re the last person to say that was Lisa Raymond and the since she beat Venus at the AO, she hasn't done a damn thing, so if I were Myskina, I'd be careful of what you wish for.
are you insane?

myskina wasn't being disrespectful to the williamses. in fact, you even HIGHLIGHTED the parts where she was giving vee lots of credit, that theyc an be the best again, blahblah.

why do you have a problem with what she said??? :confused:

Cariaoke
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:49 PM
shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Venus lost... Myskina moves on... end of story.

good job, Anastasia. see you @ Wimby, Venus. :kiss: :hearts:

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:51 PM
GO VENUS focus on wimbledon that one would be a great win.

Good job for myskina now can she get by jen? GO USA!

SJW
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:54 PM
you see, the Russians are headcases, but all of them are really nice (that i've met) and that's why i like them :hearts:

good job Nastya :yeah:
Venus, your (adopted) home slam wants to hear you make some noise :kiss:

bandabou
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:57 PM
Hmmmm....Venus, she DID beat you...how can you say she can´t beat you?!

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:00 PM
are you insane?

myskina wasn't being disrespectful to the williamses. in fact, you even HIGHLIGHTED the parts where she was giving vee lots of credit, that theyc an be the best again, blahblah.

why do you have a problem with what she said??? :confused:
I have a problem with the last part of what she said, not the whole statement.

DA FOREHAND
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:12 PM

I agree w/Venus on this statement...on a "normal " day Venus would win this match in str8ts, but today wasn't a normal day, even her most dependable shot failed her, Myskina was smart to play to Venus' strength(on a bad day) and further errode Venus' confidence.

It also must be pointed out that Myskina didn't play spectacular tennis either, I've seen her play much better, so who knows if Venus had shown up Myskina would have been forced to raise her level as well.

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:15 PM
You have problem with that: "But they're gonna be back... they were the best; they can be the best again."

:tape: :rolleyes:
You know what I am talking about.

Maybe you don't so I will have to spell it out for you:

"It's gonna be little bit harder for them because I think right now more players start to believe that they can beat them."

Black Mamba.
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:18 PM
No excuses, Vee just made too many mistakes to win today. It happens to the best players, sometimes things are going to go this way, but both Vee and Serena just need more injury free matches under their belts to get back in top form

apoet29
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:18 PM
You know what I am talking about.

Maybe you don't so I will have to spell it out for you:

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with that statement. So what if other players don't see the Williams sisters as invicible? Is that really going to affect how Venus and Serena play the game? Isn't Myskina allowed to have an opinion that the sisters are not invicible any more?

I love Venus and Serena too and was very disappointed that they both lost today, but I feel that other players really deserve credit for believing in themselves and believing that they can beat Venus and Serena. After all, Venus and Serena have always believed in themselves, why should any other player be begrudged that kind of self-belief?

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:24 PM
Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with that statement. So what if other players don't see the Williams sisters as invicible? Is that really going to affect how Venus and Serena play the game? Isn't Myskina allowed to have an opinion that the sisters are not invicible any more?

I love Venus and Serena too and was very disappointed that they both lost today, but I feel that other players really deserve credit for believing in themselves and believing that they can beat Venus and Serena. After all, Venus and Serena have always believed in themselves, why should any other player be begrudged that kind of self-belief?
The funny thing is that I don't remember Venus or Serena saying anything like that about their opponents when they started winning regulary and started dominating opponents like Hingis, Davenport or Capriati.

jack duckworth
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:26 PM
myskina won fair and square:)

shap_half
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:29 PM
It's truly pathetic how disrespectful some people are on this board. Not just in regards to Myskina's win but in general.

Venus wasn't the only player who played today. Myskina was there. Myskina is a smart player and she capitalized on her chances. She knew Venus was off so instead of giving Venus something to work with Myskina didn't.

I'm glad Myskina won and I'm glad she's making way into the more GSs. I hope she wins this GS over Dementieva or the other way around. And I hope that the next she plays Venus that Myskina wins again just to shut some of you up and to prove to the world that although she is inconsistent she is a great player.

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:30 PM
It's truly pathetic how disrespectful some people are on this board. Not just in regards to Myskina's win but in general.

Venus wasn't the only player who played today. Myskina was there. Myskina is a smart player and she capitalized on her chances. She knew Venus was off so instead of giving Venus something to work with Myskina didn't.

I'm glad Myskina won and I'm glad she's making way into the more GSs. I hope she wins this GS over Dementieva or the other way around. And I hope that the next she plays Venus that Myskina wins again just to shut some of you up and to prove to the world that although she is inconsistent she is a great player.
Venus, unlike her sister, rarely loses to the same person two times in a row, so keep wishing.

apoet29
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:31 PM
The funny thing is that I don't remember Venus or Serena saying anything like that about their opponents when they started winning regulary and started dominating opponents like Hingis, Davenport or Capriati.
Venus and Serena had tons of self-belief before they even starting winning the big tourneys. Even Venus said at one point, "I have to believe that I am the best." And how many times has Serena lost and then claimed "I was playing way below my level." Self-confidence is absolutely fundamental in tennis, so again, I don't see anything wrong with what Myskina said. In fact, she was over complimentary of Venus in that interview.

LC, I really think you are taking Vee and Rena's losses today too personally. They played well to get this far and will bounce back by Wimbledon.

darrinbaker00
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:33 PM
No excuses, Vee just made too many mistakes to win today. It happens to the best players, sometimes things are going to go this way, but both Vee and Serena just need more injury free matches under their belts to get back in top form
There you have it. Venus can make 43 errors against the Tanasugarns of the world and get away with it, but Myskina is good enough to make her pay for it.

To all of Anastasia's fans, I must :bowdown: . The more deserving player won. ;)

shap_half
Venus, unlike her sister, rarely loses to the same person two times in a row, so keep wishing.

Funny. "Keeping wishing" was the same thing people said to me when I said Anastasia would win over Venus today. :rolleyes:

lizchris
Venus and Serena had tons of self-belief before they even starting winning the big tourneys. Even Venus said at one point, "I have to believe that I am the best." And how many times has Serena lost and then claimed "I was playing way below my level." Self-confidence is absolutely fundamental in tennis, so again, I don't see anything wrong with what Myskina said. In fact, she was over complimentary of Venus in that interview.

LC, I really think you are taking Vee and Rena's losses today too personally. They played well to get this far and will bounce back by Wimbledon.
My problem isn't their losses; it's the fans of other players or fairweather fans who always seem to appear when they smell a Williams loss and like to take shots at them.

Liking an upset is one thing; jealously and hatred over someone who suceeds is another thing and definitely not good.

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:35 PM
And what's wrong with that exactly?
Nothing, but I'd like to see what she is going to do next.

Of all the people who have beaten Venus and Serena this year, how many have gone on to win the tournament? If memory serves me correctly, the number is 0.

apoet29
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:39 PM
My problem isn't their losses; it's the fans of other players or fairweather fans who always seem to appear when they smell a Williams loss and like to take shots at them.

Liking an upset is one thing; jealously and hatred over someone who suceeds is another thing and definitely not good.
To be honest with you, you are engaging in the same behavior by picking apart Myskina's comments, slamming the Russians for not having won a slam yet, and generally behaving as though everyone here is cheering that the sisters have lost. Honestly? I think the board has been really good about the situation today.

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:42 PM
To be honest with you, you are engaging in the same behavior by picking apart Myskina's comments, slamming the Russians for not having won a slam yet, and generally behaving as though everyone here is cheering that the sisters have lost. Honestly? I think the board has been really good about the situation today.
Their fans have been saying how good they are and that they will take over the Americans, which may happen. But the fact remains, for a country like that to have as many players in the top 100 and for them not only to have not won a GS, but not to have won a Tier I outside of Moscow is not something to brag about.

Vass22
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:42 PM
Funny. "Keeping wishing" was the same thing people said to me when I said Anastasia would win over Venus today. :rolleyes:
:haha: :lol:

They can't accept that their faves can lose. And they can't allow the opponent's fans to enjoy. <<<< Please don't quote or reply to this.

apoet29
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:48 PM
Their fans have been saying how good they are and that they will take over the Americans, which may happen. But the fact remains, for a country like that to have as many players in the top 100 and for them not only to have not won a GS, but not to have won a Tier I outside of Moscow is not something to brag about.
I don't understand. What is wrong with their fans being happy and saying that the Russians could possibly take over women's tennis? How many times have Williams fans, over the years, bragged that the sisters would be one and two in the world? Many, many times. Yes, the sisters backed it up and did make it to one and two in the world and it is possible that the Russians may never do it, but I see nothing wrong with fans of these players feeling proud today of their favorites accomplishments and hoping that these players continue to do well.

Vass22
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:49 PM
Only a few elite players can win as much the W. Sisters. The rest win what they can. Can't they be proud that they take what they can? There are always players who didn't win absolutely anything and our faves who have won atleast something can brag all they want.

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:49 PM
I don't understand. What is wrong with their fans being happy and saying that the Russians could possibly take over women's tennis? How many times have Williams fans, over the years, bragged that the sisters would be one and two in the world? Many, many times. Yes, the sisters backed it up and did make it to one and two in the world and it is possible that the Russians may never do it, but I see nothing wrong with fans of these players feeling proud today of their favorites accomplishments and hoping that these players continue to do well.
They can say it without saying Venus and Serena are over.

Not many have said it today, but they said it at the beginning of the year, especially Venus was losing early in tournaments.

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:52 PM
Only a few elite players can win as much the W. Sisters. The rest win what they can. Can't they be proud that they take what they can? There are always players who didn't win absolutely anything and our faves who have won atleast something can brag all they want.
You're right about that.

They can be proud, but you don't have to put down the player they beat.

When Venus beat won her two ttiles this year, I didn't put down Conchita or Svetlana or anyone else she beat along the way to win both titles.

jenny161185
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:57 PM
She doesnt have anything to hurt her?Myskinas constant probing of the baseline seemed to hurt her.

sartrista7
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:23 PM
Nothing, but I'd like to see what she is going to do next.

Of all the people who have beaten Venus and Serena this year, how many have gone on to win the tournament? If memory serves me correctly, the number is 0.

So... if they are losing to players who aren't even good enough to win these tournaments... what does it say about Venus and Serena?