PDA

View Full Version : What does Amelie Mauresmo have to do to win the French Open?

DelMonte
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:53 PM
I just don't know. I really did not expect her to loose today. What do you guys think?

Cariaoke
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:54 PM
um... become a Belgian? :shrug:

GermanBoy
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:56 PM
She has to transform to Tim Henman and win Wimbledon... :haha: :haha: :haha:

griffin
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:56 PM
As she once said herself "Brain transplant"

SJW
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:57 PM
move it out of France :)

Helen Lawson
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:57 PM
Did she fall apart mentally or did the other girl play out of her mind?

Just like a tennis match, you have to go into Oscar night ready to kill, I ought to know, I lost 4 times in a row, but I finally came up with the gold on the fifth try. I know what it is like to be labed a "loser" but you can lose 4 times and win on the fifth. Never lose hope!

Vass22
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:58 PM
Get her head straight when ther's pressure (that includes pressure of winning a lower ranked player). Otherwise someone will be quick to take advantage.
Even though Elena played extremely well today, I'm sure Momo could have played better too. She should do something about the nerves.

Cariaoke
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:58 PM
then it wouldn't be the French Open, silly. :p :haha:

Smackie
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:59 PM
sad.....fnerves got the better of her. If she couldn't do it this year, I think that's it. No GS for momo :(

How does she play on grass? Never really notice her in Wimbly.....

Vass22
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:00 PM
Did she fall apart mentally or did the other girl play out of her mind?

Both.
Lena pressured the hell out of her with power, but it was evident that Momo could not implement her own power and the tricks to neutralize power of the opponent.

DelMonte
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:01 PM
sad.....fnerves got the better of her. If she couldn't do it this year, I think that's it. No GS for momo :(

How does she play on grass? Never really notice her in Wimbly.....

she's reached the QFs a couple of times, i think! momo fans, please correct me if i am wrong.

Tylane
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:01 PM
"Brain transplant", yes I really don't find another solution unfortunatly

mboyle
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:03 PM
At Wimby Momo has gone as far as the semis, but only once. She won't win the French. Ever.

Hurley
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:36 PM

SJW wins the prize for being the first person to give the right answer.

Amelie will win a major sometime, probably...but as long as the French Open is in France, it won't be that.

FanDeJen
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:39 PM
Play all matches on court 14

SJW
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:10 PM
then it wouldn't be the French Open, silly. :p :haha:
pfffffft you ruin everything :p

SJW
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:12 PM
SJW wins the prize for being the first person to give the right answer.

Amelie will win a major sometime, probably...but as long as the French Open is in France, it won't be that.
Amelie can win any major she likes...in terms of 7 matches in a row on that surface

however, the FO crowd don't do her any favours, and i hate her playing there. but it's her home slam, and i guess they'd be (even more) pooped if she didn't play :)

Kart
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:47 PM
She needs to stop worrying about people's expectations of her and want it for herself, not for them.

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:48 PM
Renounce her citizenship and play for another country?:confused:

Smackie
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:17 PM
No, put 121766.67 euros on Paola to win RG singles should make up the difference between winning and being quartrefinalist....should Paola win......

Spunky83
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:26 PM
Stop thinking

jack duckworth
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:32 PM
i dont see amelie winning any major..no matter where its played:).....she should relish playing in front of her home crowd..its like being a set up..although the one thing amelie is ...that shes a good sport in front of her home crowd...and does not use it to her advantage:)....tennis seems to be the only sport where players are frightened playing in front of home fans..odd:)

Chris_G
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:52 PM
Uh...get walkovers in the last three rounds? If playing against Medina Garrigues in the second round makes her nervous enough to drop a set, I can't imagine how she'd fare in a French Open final. I suppose anything's possible if Novotna and Ivanisevic could get over their mental blocks at Wimbledon, but there wasn't much to be encouraged by in Amelie's performance today.

fammmmedspin
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:00 PM
redo the draw so she got Sharapova today. Bribe the phisio working on Jen's hip. Put Myskina up against Dementieva and hope she can then repeat her last win against Myskina.

Nope Myskina might well win as she is a tougher fighter..

Perhaps she has to win somewhere else first?

Evonne Goolagong
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:00 PM
As good as Mauresmo is, she lacks intensity. You really need that to win a grand slam, perhaps some time with a bonafide sports psychologist would behoove her?

Abdoul
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:15 PM
get a boyfriend ?

http://www.wtaworld.com/ubb/confused.gif

DA FOREHAND
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:26 PM
Beat Seven opponents...defeat her nerves.

cometz9
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:37 PM
She needs to tell the French crowd to fuck off b/c she's overwhelmed when she plays in front of her home crowd. Too much pressure when they are rooting for her that much. She can win the FO if she doesn't play in front of the French people. Thats my theory b/c during her match today, i think the crowd was getting on her nerves, and so she missed shots that she normally wouldn't miss. I'm sorry but the French got what they deserved for booing at other players for no reasons. They can only blamed themselves for Amelie's lost today.

LindsayRocks89
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:08 PM
get a shrink :lol: jk, on a serious note, she just can't play defensively, she needs to continue going for her shots when she gets down a break, and she needs to learn how to just block out the french crowd and just play the best she can for herself because she knows she can and not do it for everyone else.

ali
Jun 1st, 2004, 10:13 PM
I'm not sure about playing on home soil making Amelie any more nervous than usual. Its not as though she's won all of the other Slams but just can't win in front of her home fans. She's underachieved in all the Grand Slams really. After getting to the Oz final in 99 I thought she'd be a regular competing for the top titles but it just hasn't happened.

Btw, I like Amelie, but all this "she'll only win the French Open if it was played elsewhere" is a bit daft - 3 other Grand Slams are!! :shrug: Maybe not on clay, but I think her game is suited to the other surfaces just as much anyway.

lolo21
Jun 1st, 2004, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure about playing on home soil making Amelie any more nervous than usual. Its not as though she's won all of the other Slams but just can't win in front of her home fans. She's underachieved in all the Grand Slams really. After getting to the Oz final in 99 I thought she'd be a regular competing for the top titles but it just hasn't happened.

Btw, I like Amelie, but all this "she'll only win the French Open if it was played elsewhere" is a bit daft - 3 other Grand Slams are!! :shrug: Maybe not on clay, but I think her game is suited to the other surfaces just as much anyway.

ameli and kim , the same fight,the same question:how to win a GS??!!

tennnisfannn
Jun 1st, 2004, 10:40 PM
She need to patiently wait for tatiana Golovin to grow into her game. the gods seem to favour an all williams/belgian affairs and an all french one would rank way up there.

VeNuS#1LoVa
Jun 1st, 2004, 10:44 PM
Have the Top 30 pull out and drug each of her opponents...

*Bring on the bad reps, I could care less, Amelie sucks*

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

flyingmachine
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:16 PM
:bigcry: Momo lost.

volta
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:21 PM
she lost today not because she played bad or the media put her in pressure but Dementieva was playing her best Tennis ever.

Sonja
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:21 PM
Well she's been working with a sports shrink, and I know it has helped her but I don't think she'll ever get it together to pull off Roland Garros. The other slams are her best chance to pull off a win. I think confidence has always been a problem with her except in the early years when she wasn't expected to win. I wish she could reconnect with those wins and put that mentality to good use.

Not the end of the world though. I look forward to Wimby where there's some free points to be had, not to mention the lovely serve and volley game she uses there.

azinna
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:58 PM
Do sports shrink ever work? Do we know of any player that's turned it around and won several majors after/while getting therapy? If not, I'm not sure why everyone seems to be recommending one for her.

It seems as though Amelie's Slam future is set, ad it will mirror Novotna's (or Goran's). She will win one, and only one, slam. She will break down in tears when she does, and we will give her a standing ovation.

Mind you, this is a better future than most players will have. It's jsut that we want perhaps too much from her.

Gnaag
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:58 PM
In women's tennis years, Mauresmo will soon be a senior citizen. Time is very quickly running out for her. At this point I can't see her becoming any better than she is already, and she needs to become better to win Roland Garros or any other Slam.

I think this year was her last chance to win Roland Garros. And judging from the devastated expression on her face after today's loss, I get the feeling that she knew it was her last chance as well.