PDA

View Full Version : most overlooked thread title: 1st Slam in ages w/out williams or belgian in finals!

treufreund
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:43 PM
Now everyone on the board who bitches about the Belgians and the Williams finals can rejoice :devil:

Honestly it's a huge upset when none of those four is in the finals!:eek:

turt
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:44 PM
Time for an ALL-RUSSIAN final this time! :eek:

Who did see that coming? :eek:

SJW
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:44 PM
yup. to be honest, it'd be nice to have at least one of the best players in a major final, but i guess we'll see what's up with the best of the rest.

harloo
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:45 PM
good point. This is your day whiners. Enjoy!:D :lol:

sartrista7
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:46 PM
yup. to be honest, it'd be nice to have at least one of the best players in a major final, but i guess we'll see what's up with the best of the rest.

The four players left at the end of today will be the four best players at this time. thx ;)

And :banana: :banana: Switching things up like this is FUN! :D

Go all-Russian final! :bounce:

wongqks
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:47 PM
LOL super wild French Open

I can envision Paola or Anastasia or elena holding up the title already LOL

SJW
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:48 PM
The four players left at the end of today will be the four best players at this time. thx ;)

And :banana: :banana: Switching things up like this is FUN! :D

Go all-Russian final! :bounce:
i'll let that slide. i'm sure you won't have a much bigger win that this anytime soon :p j/k

so, i like to see at least one of Justine/Kim/Serena/Venus in the final. what's wrong with that? :)

Cariaoke
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:49 PM
rofl!

it's the survival of the uninjured!

just like the men's game! WHOO!

manu
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:50 PM
None of them is even in the semi's... This was a great chance for the sisters to capitalize on the injuries of the Belgians. So far, they haven't done that... It'll be interesting to see what happens at Wimbledon and the US Open - IF everyone's healthy of course, which I definitely hope! - Will the Williams' reign again? Will it be an even battle between them and the Belgians? Or will this French Open be the break trough Slam for a new top contender? Anyway, women's tennis is definitely becoming very exciting again!:)

sartrista7
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:50 PM
i'll let that slide. i'm sure you won't have a much bigger win that this anytime soon :p j/k

so, i like to see at least one of Justine/Kim/Serena/Venus in the final. what's wrong with that? :)

I think Nastya's top 4 now, too :banana: Even more to celebrate! And the wins just keep coming, bigger and bigger...

I like upsets*. Nothing wrong with that either :)

*unless they happen to Nastya

harloo
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:52 PM
What does have to do with whining? Pretty much everyone didn't enjoy much the Henin against Clijsters finals, the same for most all Williams final. It's refreshing to have a final with new players.
Yes you are indeed a whiner if you continue to say, " I hate the all Williams/Belgian finals". It's nothing wrong with it, but alot of people on this board are whiners when it comes to this topic. It was moreso when the Williams were dominating that you heard it the most.
;)

tennisIlove09
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:53 PM
and the last time, it was a great final.

2002 (two and a half years ago :eek:) Australian: J. Cap def. M. Hingis 4-6 7-6 6-2

Diesel
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:54 PM
Go Paola! :)

Variety is good. It can help stop the constant whining and envy and at the same time spike interest and intrigue.

best best better
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:00 PM
As a Justine fan, I have to say that it is REALLY exciting... Obviously I wish she was still in the tournament, but I think that this French Open bodes well for the rest of the year... we need a lot of players, playing with confidence, to produce great matches again, that are relevant and exciting to more than just specific fans of the players involved: ie to all tennis fans.

As a big a fan as I am of Justine, it would be nice to see her play someone OTHER than Kim in a final (ditto with Kim getting to a GS final, and Venus and Serena).

This FO could be one of the best things to happen to the WTA since Martina Hingis/Anna Kournikova hit the scene.