PDA

View Full Version : Venus makes TONS of UFE; Myskina capitalizes 6-3 6-4

tennisIlove09
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:23 PM
Congrats Myskina.

But Venus...:rolleyes:

Bezz
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:24 PM
Well i am alittle shocked none of the Williams survived the Quarters-but i suppose they just werent the better players on the day. Congrats Myskina!!

UDiTY
OMG...3 BP's in the last game. And 3 backhand errors.

What a horrible day.:sad:

bmxbandit
Venus :mad: :mad: :mad:

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another wasted opportunity for a Jenny/Venus matchup :sad: :sad:. I don't think we'll ever get another one.

Come on Jenny, crush Myskina in the semis :angel:

tennisIlove09
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:25 PM
saying Myskina is a better clay courter is false.

ys
It was not about just errors. It was about extremely slow and power-negating conditions and who adjusts to those conditions better. And BTW, Nastya does not like these conditions too. Well done Nastya! :bounce:

PointBlank
Well Done Nastya!

:scared: who to cheer for in SF Nastya or Jen :scared:

flyingmachine
:eek:

Foot_Fault
Myskina played well! Still love u Venus!

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:26 PM
Nastya :D :) :woohoo: :)

thanx for the rain/drizzle ;) that really helped :)

Knizzle
This sucks. I don't know what to say. Myskina played to the market. Venus that was horrible.

WF4EVER
I feel really really bad for Vee right now, but better luck next time, my dear.

Congratulations to Myskina on making the SF at the FO.

DelMonte
43 UFE by Venus, the last one on match point, it seems. only 12 winner for the entire match. i am sorry, but with stats like that she deserved to loose.

anastasia on the other hand played a clean, solid and seemingly unspectecular match: 9 winners and 13 UFE. congratulatios! her second slam FO of the year!

whorehand
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:27 PM
Congrats Anastasia! :D

She played a great match, employing the perfect tactics, hitting deep with plenty of margin for error, just allowing Venus to spray the ball out.

Good luck against Jen!

PointBlank
first Russian in SF since Demented at US 00

hopefully we can make it 2 Russians in the SF

:clap2:

tennisIlove09
43 UFE by Venus, the last one on match point, it seems. only 12 winner for the entire match. i am sorry, but with stats like that she deserved to loose.

anastasia on the other hand played a clean, solid and seemingly unspectecular match: 9 winners and 13 UFE. congratulatios! her second slam FO of the year!
well, we know who dicated

Cariaoke
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:28 PM
wow. :eek:

horrible performance from Venus.

well done, Nastya but 43 ufe's... you were handed that, ROFL!

venus_envy
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:30 PM
I really think that Venus underestimated her opponent. She just wasn't prepared, and didn't have any answers out there. Hopefully Venus will regroup and realize that she has to play offensively every time she steps on the court.

Daniel
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:30 PM
Well done Nastya, :dance: :bounce: :worship: :worship:

Lady
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:31 PM
OMG! :eek:

What a weird, weird RG!

Congrats Nastya!

Too bad for Venus! :sad:

ys
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:32 PM
first Russian in SF since Demented at US 00

Is Nadya playing for Poland?

bandabou
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:32 PM
Hmmm...Venus, go down without a fight like that?!

BK4ever
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:33 PM
this match was won on tactics...nastya's worked, vee's didnt and she didnt change her gameplan, she tried to hit herself into rhythm and it didnt work

Svennovitch
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:35 PM
Venus choked !

tennisIlove09
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:36 PM
Hmmm...Venus, go down without a fight like that?!
2 things:

1-Did you watch the match? the last game was a dogfight. Venus had 2 or 3 break points. Don't say it wasn't a fight because it didn't go three sets.

2-With 45 UFE, what else do you expect?

Experimentee
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:37 PM
Venus :rolleyes:
That was pathetic! Myskina isnt even a good claycourter!
So many errors and she didnt take her chances. :sad:
I wonder why Venus and Serena both played horribly at the same time? Might have been something to do with the weather, but i'm sure they've played in those conditions before.

PointBlank
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:37 PM
Is Nadya playing for Poland?
:confused:

turt
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:38 PM
:confused:
Remember Petrova? ;)

Ted of Teds Tennis
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:39 PM
I really think that Venus underestimated her opponent. She just wasn't prepared, and didn't have any answers out there. Hopefully Venus will regroup and realize that she has to play offensively every time she steps on the court.

Everybody's overlooking Myskina. I did a photo search at sportsline.com, and didn't see one image of her going back to Saturday in their tennis photos. (They hadn't put up any photos from the Myskina/Venus QF yet.)

SJW
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:41 PM
congrats to Myskina :yeah:
Venus congrats on a wonderful clay court season, and you know what to do on the grass baby ;):kiss:

Geri
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:42 PM
Some people got shouted down on here when saying Venus never played anyone top 10 in winning her clay court titles this year but today against a higher quality opponent like Myskina she looked totally lost and confused as to how to win. Myskina just hit deep and hard during rallies, wasn't intimidated in going toe to toe with Venus and Venus would just collapse with an error. Surely when you are a set and a break down you would change game plan - take some pace off or serve and volley and come to net more but today she just stayed back and hit error after error :confused:

bandabou
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:44 PM
2 things:

1-Did you watch the match? the last game was a dogfight. Venus had 2 or 3 break points. Don't say it wasn't a fight because it didn't go three sets.

2-With 45 UFE, what else do you expect?

I saw the match....and when you donīt win a set, then it is going down without a fight.

sartrista7
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:44 PM
Oh my god :banana: :banana: I've just shouted myself hoarse and awoken my latent hangover headache, but I don't care because NASTYA WON!!!!!!! YESSSSSS!!!!!! My favourite player, the win of her career, her first Slam semi - this doesn't get any better. To be perfectly honest I couldn't give less of a shit how she won it, but let's just say that her main strength - TACTICS - was in full flow today. She played perfectly. Nastya :kiss: Now go beat JenFat!

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:45 PM
Better luck on grass, Venus!!

I still believe in You!!

bandabou
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:46 PM
Some people got shouted down on here when saying Venus never played anyone top 10 in winning her clay court titles this year but today against a higher quality opponent like Myskina she looked totally lost and confused as to how to win. Myskina just hit deep and hard during rallies, wasn't intimidated in going toe to toe with Venus and Venus would just collapse with an error. Surely when you are a set and a break down you would change game plan - take some pace off or serve and volley and come to net more but today she just stayed back and hit error after error :confused:

Hmm...interesting point...she did beat Svetlana though, but youīre right....it was surprising that even with her backhand, she couldnīt hurt Myskina....

Knizzle
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:46 PM
I saw the match....and when you donīt win a set, then it is going down without a fight.
In the end, a loss is a loss.

PointBlank
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:49 PM
Remember Petrova? ;)
:rolls:

Seesh .. I always forget Nadia .. :p

:rolls:

Foot_Fault
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:53 PM
yes and no, she's ALWAYS Battled with Myskina, the problem is....did you see how Dark and Murky the Court was. Venus' ball speed was the same. Errors FLew off her racket, she moved well, but didn't get up to net enough.
Myskina just keep the ball in play and allowed Venus to self destruct.

AjdeNate!
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:57 PM
It really wasn't even close. Sure it tightened up the 2nd set - but not like it was the closest set. Venus just couldn't keep the ball in the stadium.

Great win Anastasia!! :worship:

watrat
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:59 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeesssss!!!! Myskina you are the best. I never thought you'll kick Venus out in 2 sets. :bowdown::bowdown: Let's hope Dementieva will join you soon. :bounce: :bounce:

foreva lindsay
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:59 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

well done myskina, great match

CJ07
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:00 PM
Venus was just off. Errors all over the place, not intense at all whatsoever, just a really really bad match.

But the last time she lost in the QF of the French, she went on a 35 match win streak :)

Greenout
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:10 PM
It wasn't just her errors. Don't diminish Myskina. She had the strategy, down
pat, and it worked. It looked to be the same one Davenport use to try on
Venus, and a variation of what Justine always does to Kim- mainly handcuff
the shot making wings by giving them tons of ball in the middle of the court.
Not all of time nor chances to go side to side and work out angled returns.

Myskina was steady, and after she took the first set, you could tell that
she couldn't believe Venus hadn't figured out what to do beside get the
ball back with those balls stuff in the middle of the court..

Handcuffed, simply handcuffed.

Congrats Myskina and Russian tennis fans- she's made the next level up
and her seed/ranking is right where she belongs! :)

Allez-H
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:11 PM
Ok,I just gor back from school and I'm shocked..I knew Nastya and Jen defenlityl had a shot but I'm so shoked :eek:
this RG is sooooooooo scary :eek:

le bon vivant
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:12 PM
I think both Venus and Serena need to focus, especially on the clay!!!!!!!!! No patience at all in either match! Wimbledonj is not a guarantee anymore, as I once thought it was.

BTW, WTF are they showing that awful match between Justine and Serena at the FO Semis 2003 instead of her match v. Jennifer?

treufreund
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:13 PM
Ok,I just gor back from school and I'm shocked..I knew Nastya and Jen defenlityl had a shot but I'm so shoked :eek:
this RG is sooooooooo scary :eek:
are you scared of unpredictability? :lol:

Vincent
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:14 PM
How many :speakles: do I need?

bandabou
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:16 PM
on the face....surprising loss but not shocking....the thing with Venus was that she couldnīt break down Myskinaīs backhand...and that of course leaves Venus nowhere good.

apoet29
Nothing is a given in women's tennis anymore. This years RG has proven that. I am surprised that Myskina beat Venus--to a degree. But Myskina is a very Hingis-like player who knows how to mix up her shots. Jen winning is not a surprise at all. Although Jen has struggled, she has been fighting incredibly hard and has overcome two problems: winning three set matches and beating top ten players. She clearly has overcome those issues.

Congrats to both ladies.

Nemesis
Venus :crying2: What a chance to win RG ... The errors :o Venus & Serena, Jsutine & Kim ... They seem to be twins.

Well done Nastya ... First SF ... :D

Billabong
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:18 PM
Well done Nastya:D!!!

Greenout
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:22 PM
Nothing is a given in women's tennis anymore. This years RG has proven that. I am surprised that Myskina beat Venus--to a degree. But Myskina is a very Hingis-like player who knows how to mix up her shots. Jen winning is not a surprise at all. Although Jen has struggled, she has been fighting incredibly hard and has overcome two problems: winning three set matches and beating top ten players. She clearly has overcome those issues.

Congrats to both ladies.

Exactly! Myskina never gave Venus anything; she forced her to
either hit a winner or miss. It wasn't unforced errors, more like
forced errors put upon by Myskina in very long rallies. Again..
as I mentioned she directed them a certain way that handcuffed
the usually shot returns Venus does. There just wasn't room to
swing or run to the shots in the rallies. Myskina also changed the
pace up during the rallies.

bubble
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:23 PM
Nastya really deserved this victory...
Very proud of her , she managed to calm down and even served out the match despite having 2 bps against her....

:bounce:

Fingon
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:23 PM
Maybe this will teach some fans not to jump to conclusions too early. Many were saying this title was Venus's before it even started, just because she won a couple of weak tournaments (opponents wise).

Sure I did say I thought Justine had a chance, but that was before knowing with kind of form she was on, and conditional to that form being a lot better than it was, it was written in stone like many fans said. If you doubted Venus's chances for the title then you knew nothing, were ignoring the facts, etc, just like during the Aussie.

Interesting enough, nothing of that was said about Serena, even though she had by far a better record.

Allez-H
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:24 PM
I just wanted to congratulate Nastya for her wonderfull victory :worship:
I honestly didn't believe in you but after the way you fought against Kuzi anything could happen :yeah:

caramel
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:25 PM
I - LOVE - YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU NASTYA! YAY! WOOHOO! *doing a wild dance*

cometz9
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:29 PM
Venus :sad: but still a great week at RG and a great record on clay. But rest up and get ready for your full assault at Wimbledon :rocker:

Congrats to Nastya :bigclap: , i am happy that she made it to her 1st SF of a Grand Slam.

tennisIlove09
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:30 PM
that's the stupidest thing you've ever said. and considering who I'm replying too...that's saying a lot

Greenout
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:31 PM
Who actually watched this match? I see it from the second set live.
It wasn't the EU's, Myskina had her handcuffed and she could'nt return
much back as winners. It was all Myskina running the rallies- all chess
playing classic Hingis strategy.

Vass22
Nastya! This is great! Thanks for surprising me, like I asked!
This is amazing. The Russians have finally moved on to the next stage. You may say that they fluke their way over to th elater stages of Slams, but i don't care, and they don't care too. Yes, Venus didn't play well, but Myskina was able to take advantage of it, and she was the more dangerous. A year ago she wouldn't have done it. It's one thing to see that your opponent plays badly and the whole other thing is to make him/her play even worse. She was able to hold serve in that final game, when Venus pused her, and that's great! superb!

CJ07
the other thing I was pissed about was Venus's returns. They weren't offensive AT ALL. Myskina had nothing on those serves

tennisIlove09
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:32 PM
I saw the match, and it was either a hit by Venus or a miss. she missed more. I know this is wrong to say...but Venus lost the match, Myskina didn't win it.

Greenout
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:34 PM
See, but this is typical of Myskina and even someone like Patty- they
dont' look like their doing much; but they are actually forcing errors
from their opponents by taking away the advantage in positioning on
returns in rallies.

sartrista7
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:36 PM
I saw the match, and it was either a hit by Venus or a miss. she missed more. I know this is wrong to say...but Venus lost the match, Myskina didn't win it.

Bullshit... although, you have proved several times before how little you understand tennis, so I'm not surprised.

Nastya's tactics were designed to induce maximum errors from Venus, and she executed them perfectly. Switch up the pace, keep good length from the baseline, don't give Venus any angles to hit winners off, and keep mentally strong throughout the rallies - superb red clay tactics. Venus's own tactics were shot to pieces.

tennisIlove09
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:37 PM
See, but this is typical of Myskina and even someone like Patty- they
dont' look like their doing much; but they are actually forcing errors
from their opponents by taking away the advantage in positioning on
returns in rallies.
Sorry. Myskina was barely putting any pace on the ball. It looked like hingis would over power her :o

Venus was just off. Plain and simple.

Kart
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:38 PM
Venus this so could have been your year :mad: :bigcry: :explode: :smash:.

Still, no excuses, congratulations to Myskina - good luck in the semis.

Rocketta
I saw the match and if you think on a normal day someone could throw those midcourt fluff shots at Venus without her being aggressive and going to the net you were seeing what you wanted. Myskina played like she needed but Venus mucked it up pure and simple. the first 4 games of the first set was atrocious by Venus...She had no winners and 10 ue's and I don't care what kind of game your playing if Venus serve is on she's going to have a few winners on it.

Greenout
Whatever. She lost, Myksina won. She was planted on the baseline
and stole the rallies away from Venus.

tennisIlove09
Bullshit... although, you have proved several times before how little you understand tennis, so I'm not surprised.

Nastya's tactics were designed to induce maximum errors from Venus, and she executed them perfectly. Switch up the pace, keep good length from the baseline, don't give Venus any angles to hit winners off, and keep mentally strong throughout the rallies - superb red clay tactics. Venus's own tactics were shot to pieces.
because she missed ;) Venus was the aggressor. Either she won the point or she lost it. Clearly, with 45 errors, she lost it.

6 games in a set. 4 points to win a game. 6 times 4 = 24

24+24 = 48

Myskina needed 48 points to win the match. 45 from Venus' errors. :)

tennisIlove09
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:39 PM
Whatever. She lost, Myksina won. She was planted on the baseline
and stole the rallies away from Venus.

:haha: :haha: :haha: stole the rallies? No, Venus gave them to her :haha: :haha: :haha:

whorehand
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:41 PM
Sorry. Myskina was barely putting any pace on the ball. It looked like hingis would over power her :o

Venus was just off. Plain and simple.

Wrong. If Anastasia didn't play the way she did, i.e. trying to go for winners, low margin for error etc, i doubt she would have won. Her consistent, deep shots frustrated Venus into over hitting the ball and making the error.

Greenout
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:42 PM
I saw the match and if you think on a normal day someone could throw those midcourt fluff shots at Venus without her being aggressive and going to the net you were seeing what you wanted. Myskina played like she needed but Venus mucked it up pure and simple. the first 4 games of the first set was atrocious by Venus...She had no winners and 10 ue's and I don't care what kind of game your playing if Venus serve is on she's going to have a few winners on it.

Why didn't she make her move when Myskina was going very
wonky closing out the set? Her serves were pretty weak toward
the end? Venus did nothing about it. I'm surprised considering how
much the Russians are infamous for their tight service games.

You can say whatever you want- she as they the cliche goes
"didn't take her chances". The match could've gone to 3 sets; but
Venus didn't seem to be that interested. She wasn't even that
pissed. At least in Serena's match - you know she was emotionally
involved and wanted to win.

sartrista7
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:42 PM
because she missed ;) Venus was the aggressor. Either she won the point or she lost it. Clearly, with 45 errors, she lost it.

6 games in a set. 4 points to win a game. 6 times 4 = 24

24+24 = 48

Myskina needed 48 points to win the match. 45 from Venus' errors. :)

Venus's errors, as induced by Nastya's perfect tactics.

By placing the ball consistently where she did, Nastya forced Venus to either go for winners out of nowhere (i.e. without being able to set them up), or to not go for winners at all. And Venus chose to try for winners out of nowhere, and failed.

Having watched the match... the majority of rallies were neutral, and it was Nastya keeping them that way. Even when she looked to have openings, she sometimes didn't go for her own winner... because Venus is so dangerous when defending. Keep the ball deep, jam Venus's groundstrokes, prevent her from going into either all-out attack or all-out defence.

Rocketta
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:43 PM

Half of Myskina's balls in the 2nd set landed at the service line. However, be happy for your fav and think she played the perfect match and it was all her tatics, which was hope Venus misses and Venus did. Myskina won fair and square but those are not brilliant tatics like some of y'all are saying they are the same tatics many employ it just doesn't usually work. The conditions and Venus helped her. Congrats Myskina.

tennisIlove09
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:44 PM
Venus's errors, as induced by Nastya's perfect tactics.

By placing the ball consistently where she did, Nastya forced Venus to either go for winners out of nowhere (i.e. without being able to set them up), or to not go for winners at all. And Venus chose to try for winners out of nowhere, and failed.

Having watched the match... the majority of rallies were neutral, and it was Nastya keeping them that way. Even when she looked to have openings, she sometimes didn't go for her own winner... because Venus is so dangerous when defending. Keep the ball deep, jam Venus's groundstrokes, prevent her from going into either all-out attack or all-out defence.
IF Myskina was slicing to mix it up, and confuse Venus, I'd agree.

moby
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:46 PM
it most certainly wasn't hingis like in the way myskina was actually hitting the ball
she was hitting rather flat, and low over the net, and certainly not moving venus about very much

what she did instead was to keep bringing the balls back over and over without giving venus any clear opening for a winner (she just seems to be able to cover the whole court). There were a lot of long rallies where venus looked like she must have hit 5 winners/ forcing shots and they just came back as though venus hadn't hit them hard at all

Greenout
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:46 PM
How could the conditions help Myskina? Heavy conditions are only and
advantage to players who are strong enough to hit thru the humidity
and the thick atmosphere. Myskina is great indoors, and on hardcourt.
She was good in DOHA in that sauna; but the advantage of Paris today
would've been toward Venus, with the constant rain delays and big
match .

Randy H
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:47 PM
Nastya played a very good match tactically - Venus made a lot of errors during the match, but it was obviously because Myskina was mixing the balls up and seeing if Venus could adapt to the conditions. She didn't.

Nastya was throwing in a lot of loopy balls and Venus' forehand wasn't up to the test, plain and simple. In the second set she started to find her range a bit more on them, but you could tell at that point she was feeling tight, and wasn't trying to go for the winners so much. When Venus gets tight, she starts making errors on shots that are not even attempted winners, so I think the second set had a lot to do with mental lapse more than anything. She had some chances to get back into it at the last minute and she wasn't able to do so - When Venus is missing *backhands* on break point opportunities, I think that says a lot about her mental state in the match.

All credit to Anastasia, she really found the right mix between knowing when to be a bit more defensive and let Venus crumble, and when to step it up a bit more and put on the pressure. Really nice to see her finally breakthrough at a grand slam. :)

le bon vivant
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:48 PM
Venus was beaten by Myskina, the conditions, and herself (in that order.)

Rocketta
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:50 PM
Why didn't she make her move when Myskina was going very
wonky closing out the set? Her serves were pretty weak toward
the end? Venus did nothing about it. I'm surprised considering how
much the Russians are infamous for their tight service games.

You can say whatever you want- she as they the cliche goes
"didn't take her chances". The match could've gone to 3 sets; but
Venus didn't seem to be that interested. She wasn't even that
pissed. At least in Serena's match - you know she was emotionally
involved and wanted to win.
Let me spell it out for you since you're not getting it.

Venus played like S-H-I-T.

Myskina played well.

Venus was not aggressive from ball one and was not mentally there.

That's Venus' fault and no one elses. Myskina deserves the win because she came mentally prepared to play this match.

That doesn't mean Myskina's tatics were anything new or brilliant, imo.

But ok, Myskina was a mental giant out there....does that make anyone feel better? It's not true but what the hell.

sartrista7
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:51 PM
she was hitting rather flat, and low over the net, and certainly not moving venus about very much

This is key, actually - so many people think that moving Venus around is a good tactic, when really you just expose yourself to her awesome defence. Nastya neutralised Venus's attack, and didn't let her get back into the match through defence.

Venus doesn't get confused by slice... she isn't Serena.

Rocketta
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:52 PM
How could the conditions help Myskina? Heavy conditions are only and
advantage to players who are strong enough to hit thru the humidity
and the thick atmosphere. Myskina is great indoors, and on hardcourt.
She was good in DOHA in that sauna; but the advantage of Paris today
would've been toward Venus, with the constant rain delays and big
match .
ask her fans, they seem to feel the conditions helped Myskina?

Geri
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:54 PM
Myskina deserves the win because she came mentally prepared to play this match.

But ok, Myskina was a mental giant out there....does that make anyone feel better? It's not true but what the hell.

Compared to Venus she was a mental giant because Venus had a mental collapse. She did not know what to do.

sartrista7
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:55 PM
ask her fans, they seem to feel the conditions helped Myskina?

The conditions didn't help either, really... not given their usual games, they both like the ball to go fast. But Nastya definitely utilised the conditions, and adapted her strategy to them better. I was very impressed - I never thought she could be that patient.

Martian Willow
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:57 PM
...maybe Venus would have played better another day, but unfortunately the match was today...Anastasia was the better player, and that's all that counts...anything else just sounds like petty whinging to me... :)

SJW
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:59 PM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/50899622CM063_French_Open060111_1024x768.jpg

as Venus said, "good match :)" and let's leave it at that :hearts:

Rocketta
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:01 PM
Compared to Venus she was a mental giant because Venus had a mental collapse. She did not know what to do.
:lol:

Yeah, when Venus has a bad match it's a mental collaspe. :haha:

She's 19-1 unless you forgot this clay season. True enough she wasn't prepared for the match for whatever reason but a collapse she didn't have.

The rest of the tour must live in perpetual mental collaspes..:rolleyes:

Rocketta
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:02 PM
as Venus said, "good match :)" and let's leave it at that :hearts:
I'm willing to leave it at Myskina played a good match and Venus didn't but are others..

Rocketta
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:06 PM
See what happens when Venus faces a top 10 player. :)
yeah the same thing that happens to Justine when she plays someone ranked in the 80's except much later.

Geri
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:06 PM
:lol:

Yeah, when Venus has a bad match it's a mental collaspe. :haha:

She's 19-1 unless you forgot this clay season. True enough she wasn't prepared for the match for whatever reason but a collapse she didn't have.

The rest of the tour must live in perpetual mental collaspes..:rolleyes:

Well I thought she had a mental collapse because she did not have a clue how to play Myskina. Where was the net rushes? Mix it up with slices? Hit a drop shot? Taking pace off the ball and stop hitting errors? :confused: She was not thinking about how she could turn it around and she was very one dimensional today - hit it hard and see where it goes.

Rocketta
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:11 PM
Well I thought she had a mental collapse because she did not have a clue how to play Myskina. Where was the net rushes? Mix it up with slices? Hit a drop shot? Taking pace off the ball and stop hitting errors? :confused: She was not thinking about how she could turn it around and she was very one dimensional today - hit it hard and see where it goes.
She was not prepared to play today. That is for sure and I never said different. I personally think it's because they are in Paris with their mother and she doesn't talk tatics. Rushing the net isn't natural for Venus so unless it's ingrained in her she's not going to revert to that in trouble times if she's not practicing it. That's not a mental collaspe that's being ill prepared. She deserved to lose this match with her attitude and her pitiful play.

Martian Willow
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:13 PM
...Anastasia won because she played better... :)

tennisIlove09
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:11 PM
I think this sums it up:

Q. What was different in this match, compared to the other two that you've played against her?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I think Venus not really right now in her best level, and I knew that I can beat her. And the game was like -- usually Venus like to make winners. Today was like more unforced errors.

And I just tried to keep the ball in play today.

All4Williams
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:14 PM
Who strings the player's racquets?

Black Mamba.
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:21 PM
Myskina played really well today. Vee had too many errors to win, but I'm just glad she's still healthy that's the key. As I've said before the more injury free matches Vee and Serena have the better they will get and the closer they will get to their previous form.

DA FOREHAND
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:28 PM
Answers to what Myskina didn't have to do anything special today(not that she's not capable).

Venus played a crappy match, and Myskina played smart.

DA FOREHAND
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:31 PM
She was not prepared to play today. That is for sure and I never said different. I personally think it's because they are in Paris with their mother and she doesn't talk tatics. Rushing the net isn't natural for Venus so unless it's ingrained in her she's not going to revert to that in trouble times if she's not practicing it. That's not a mental collaspe that's being ill prepared. She deserved to lose this match with her attitude and her pitiful play.

:worship:

I say we start a petittion that Richard must attend all Grand Slam events.

Spunky83
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:52 PM
tactics, more tactics, Nastya...

This match was really about tactics. Nastya just tried to keep the ball in, no matter what. She didnīt go for the big winners and just waited for Venus to hit the error, thatīs why she hit more than 40 UEs. Nastya really succeeed by moving Venus around the court continously. Venus was horribly impatient. I mean come on, we all know that Nastyaīs second serve isnīt the best and the fastest one, but that did the trick: Her second serves were so damn slow that Venus couldnīt take the speed to make a fast return, often she smashed the ball into the net, though it was only a 116 km/h serve. My mother said a funny thing during the second set: "My God, this Myskina girl only hits the ball back without any strength and speed, but Williams always hits them out or into the net...but look at the score!"...Thatīs about it, I guess.

Great match, Nastya!