PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova Worse Than Kournikova?

Ian S
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:16 PM
I really thought Sharapova had a fair chance of making the final. What an abismal surrender against a player who only needed to play reasonable tennis to win 6-1 6-3. A total embarassment. The lack of fight was shameful - how can you just give up on a quarter final? If Sharapova does not want to go the same way as Kournikova she needs to take a look at herself now and decide whether she wants to be a model or tennis player.

katrientje
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:42 PM
she is 17! give her a break, this was a huge occasion for her

gRaFiC
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:02 PM
My god these comparisons need to stop now. She has just begun her career. I'll say it again. It's is POINTLESS to even make a comparison between maria and anna. Feel free to do so when their careers are over. Maria should be given the OPPORTUNITY to prove herself before ppl judge her. It says more about you than her!

Ian S
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:32 PM
Did you actually watch the match? I am talking about putting in the physical effort to actually be competitive. If you put in so little effort your reward is what she got - a complete hammering against a player who was no more than average. Such an attitude problem is unlikely to change with age. You cannot compare a 17 year old female tennis player with other sports as clearly they peak much earlier. Unless she starts by realising what a pathetic performance she put up today she is very unlikely to be winning grand slams at all. Contrast her performance today with the other two Russians who do not spend whole matches running their fingers through their hair.

Lucy
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:37 PM
give her a break. she's still young. she's got a long time to improve.

MaurOS X
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:51 PM
Ian, do you know the Maria's tennis and the Kournikova? The comparison is an insult!!! :no:

apoet29
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:02 PM
Ian, I think you are really being too hard on her. Yes, she had a real chance and pretty much handed the match to Suarez, but this was a big occasion for her and I think she felt really overwhelmed. Honestly, Maria has played really well to get this far in the tourney considering that clay is not her best surface. Give her credit for what she has accomplished in Paris this year, considering that she did not get out of round 1 last year.

Only time will tell what Maria's career becomes. There is no sense in comparing her to Kournikova just yet. Remember that many players struggled before getting big wins: Davenport, Venus Williams, Jennifer Capriati. Just because Maria didn't win today doesn't mean that she won't do well in the future.

xanctus
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:29 PM
take it easy...sharapova is young, and she is not kournikova. the same thing about them is just, they all beatiful in their own ways...but in tennis, they're not the same...and I salut her effort to go all the way to the quater final of French Open...

polishprodigy
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:54 AM
what is sharapova's best surface? grass?

to be honest, I was shocked by Sharapova's loss to Suarez period, even more so by the scoreline. But she is young and has a lot ahead of her. And I'm sorry, but being 16 and in the top 50 is a pretty big accomplishment already!!!!

What I was disappointed by, was that even though she did not play well and lost easily, Sharapova said after the match that she was not disappointed as she did not expect to get so far in the tournament. I thought that was weird. She should be disappointed with her play against Paola but at the same time happy that she made the quarter-finals.