PDA

View Full Version : Do you support athletes that wear Nike?

Eurotennisfan
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:10 AM
Reading/watching this may change your mind...

SWEAT
A Story of Solidarity

Two unlikely young Americans travel half-way around the world to learn first-hand about Nike's Indonesian factory conditions and end up taking on the world's most profitable sports apparel company in the world. They encounter the local mafia, sexual abuse, starvation, malaria, football-sized rats, fist-sized cockroaches, raw sewage in the streets, massive burning of toxic shoe rubber, corporate complicity and cover-up.

Sweat, the film, is the journey of Jim Keady and Leslie Kretzu uncovering the story behind the statistics about Nike factory workers. Through the lens of their experiences, viewers will discover the injustices of Nike's labor practices in the developing world, specifically in Indonesia, and how Nike's cutthroat, bottom-line economic decisions have a profound effect on human lives. This film will show that with the right mix of faith, conviction, and dedication, ordinary people can change the world.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/pics/large/b_v0530_williams_s.jpg

http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/pics/large/b_h0529_galerie08.jpg

tennisIlove09
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:13 AM
I don't base my support of my faves based on what they wear.

pircy
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:16 AM
who's to say nike is the only company that does this? i'm sure all the big brands out there have a part in something like this.

and second on not supporting athlete's by what brand they wear.

Foot_Fault
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:18 AM
Again Pointless, yet we feed into the madness...it's way over my head.

Kabezya
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:20 AM
No I do not support Amelie at all.

faboozadoo15
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:27 AM
very little to do with the athletes. they need something to wear on court, and in many cases, they need their endorsement money to survive on tour. unless you're wearing lacoste, which may even be just as bad as nike (though i doubt it) you're exploiting cheap labor.

Sam L
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:32 AM
very little to do with the athletes. they need something to wear on court, and in many cases, they need their endorsement money to survive on tour. unless you're wearing lacoste, which may even be just as bad as nike (though i doubt it) you're exploiting cheap labor.
True but Nike is the worst out of them all though. Why do you think it has the most and frequent protestors? And considering Serena is the richest out of all the female tennis players that are endorsed by Nike. I'd say she holds most of that responsibility. You can't blame someone who's trying to make a living on the tour for signing with Nike if they're the only ones who offer. But Serena, she has a choice. I think it's just sick that she's been overpaid with money that's been underpaid to workers in developing countries.

DeDe4925
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:39 AM
Reading/watching this may change your mind...

SWEAT
A Story of Solidarity

Two unlikely young Americans travel half-way around the world to learn first-hand about Nike's Indonesian factory conditions and end up taking on the world's most profitable sports apparel company in the world. They encounter the local mafia, sexual abuse, starvation, malaria, football-sized rats, fist-sized cockroaches, raw sewage in the streets, massive burning of toxic shoe rubber, corporate complicity and cover-up.

Sweat, the film, is the journey of Jim Keady and Leslie Kretzu uncovering the story behind the statistics about Nike factory workers. Through the lens of their experiences, viewers will discover the injustices of Nike's labor practices in the developing world, specifically in Indonesia, and how Nike's cutthroat, bottom-line economic decisions have a profound effect on human lives. This film will show that with the right mix of faith, conviction, and dedication, ordinary people can change the world.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/pics/large/b_v0530_williams_s.jpg

http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/pics/large/b_h0529_galerie08.jpg
:rolleyes:

faboozadoo15
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:42 AM
True but Nike is the worst out of them all though. Why do you think it has the most and frequent protestors? And considering Serena is the richest out of all the female tennis players that are endorsed by Nike. I'd say she holds most of that responsibility. You can't blame someone who's trying to make a living on the tour for signing with Nike if they're the only ones who offer. But Serena, she has a choice. I think it's just sick that she's been overpaid with money that's been underpaid to workers in developing countries.
u can't say that nike is the worst bc nike has the most protestors. nike is the biggest, and if people want to protest, they protest to the top.

im embarassed to know this :lol: but during thanksgiving week in chicago at neiman marcus, the people of peta gather and have themselves a little protest. neiman marcus doesn't have anymore fur than any of the other leading stores on michican avenue, it is just the most visible and the most successful. u don't see peta organizing to protest the small shops inside malls that sell nothing BUT fur, now do you?

DeDe4925
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:42 AM
As opposed to Michael Jordon and a host of other trillionaire sports athletes who should hold none, least of all most of the responsibility. Your post is such biased bullshit, you should be embarrassed. Because, I'm embarrassed for you. :rolleyes:

faboozadoo15
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:45 AM
im curious what he wears... he has a choice...

Sam L
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:51 AM
u can't say that nike is the worst bc nike has the most protestors. nike is the biggest, and if people want to protest, they protest to the top.

im embarassed to know this :lol: but during thanksgiving week in chicago at neiman marcus, the people of peta gather and have themselves a little protest. neiman marcus doesn't have anymore fur than any of the other leading stores on michican avenue, it is just the most visible and the most successful. u don't see peta organizing to protest the small shops inside malls that sell nothing BUT fur, now do you?
Yes but that's PETA, we're not talking about fur. I believe NIke is indeed the worst when it comes to treatment of its workers. There's so much media attention about them. No one ever talks about Adidas, Puma and others abusing their workers.

Sam L
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:53 AM
As opposed to Michael Jordon and a host of other trillionaire sports athletes who should hold none, least of all most of the responsibility. Your post is such biased bullshit, you should be embarrassed. Because, I'm embarrassed for you. :rolleyes:
Well I don't think Michael Jordan either, but this isn't a basketball message board, so that's why I'm not talking about him.

DeDe4925
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:59 AM
Well I don't think Michael Jordan either, but this isn't a basketball message board, so that's why I'm not talking about him.
But the fact that it's a tennis message board doesn't shoulder Serena with all or most of the responsibility. The subject wasn't about tennis, but Nike. The thread says "athletes that wear Nike, not tennis players. I know what the intent of the troll thread starter was, but as usual it backfired. You have to admit that your statement was a stupid and biased in light of the fact that Serena is not the only athlete with a choice.

faboozadoo15
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:01 AM
Yes but that's PETA, we're not talking about fur. I believe NIke is indeed the worst when it comes to treatment of its workers. There's so much media attention about them. No one ever talks about Adidas, Puma and others abusing their workers.
the media behaves just like PETA, dude. they go oafter who's on top bc the story about them is more interesting.

do u think martha stewart's trial would have as much attention (or would it even be an issue) if she wasn't the most successful at what she does? the answer, NO! if she was on some b rated cable show abt arts and crafts and did the same thing, we would not hear about it.

Sam L
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:04 AM
But the fact that it's a tennis message board doesn't shoulder Serena with all or most of the responsibility. The subject wasn't about tennis, but Nike. The thread says "athletes that wear Nike, not tennis players. I know what the intent of the troll thread starter was, but as usual it backfired. You have to admit that your statement was a stupid and biased in light of the fact that Serena is not the only athlete with a choice.
Well the thread starter said athletes, but I'm only talking about women tennis players in here cause we're on wtaworld.com. Serena changed from Puma to Nike after they lured her with $$$ and with her fully aware of what's going on in these sweatshops. That's all I have to say.

Sam L
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:05 AM
the media behaves just like PETA, dude. they go oafter who's on top bc the story about them is more interesting.

do u think martha stewart's trial would have as much attention (or would it even be an issue) if she wasn't the most successful at what she does? the answer, NO! if she was on some b rated cable show abt arts and crafts and did the same thing, we would not hear about it.
Adidas is just as big as Nike, if not bigger in Europe, I think. I don't know why you're wanting to protect NIke so much. It's ok if you don't care, just don't pretend the problem isn't there.

faboozadoo15
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:07 AM
sports companies = cheap labor
can't we end this here and just try to change our own actions rather than criticize individual athletes who wear clothes and are endorsed by these companies? :rolleyes:

faboozadoo15
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:08 AM
Adidas is just as big as Nike, if not bigger in Europe, I think. I don't know why you're wanting to protect NIke so much. It's ok if you don't care, just don't pretend the problem isn't there.
ummm, bullshit. i'm pretty sure nike is the biggest everywhere. stop trying to run around the main issue and point fingers. i'm not defending anyone here. it's wrong you you (oh so blatantly wrong of you) to assume that it's just nike and that it would change if serena williams was still with puma?
you reside on earth, no?

bw2082
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:45 AM
people in developing countries are better off working in "sweatshops" than doing without. Without sweatshops they'd be unemployed and have to resort to other means like prostitution and back breaking labor to provide for their families. While you may look down on them, sweatshops provide the livelyhood of many people.

irma
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:49 AM
his favs were (Monica)/ are (Fed) are under contract with nike :p ;)

gRaFiC
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:47 AM
I do not own any Nike clothes and were I a pro tennis player I would refuse to endorse it knowing full well Nike's history. I stopped eating McDonald's 6 years ago after watching the doco McLibel.

So, I don't think too much of players who wear Nike. But, I suppose it comes back to money. Every man/woman and his/her price.

Martian Jeza
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:56 AM
:rolleyes:

Unfortunatly , that's a picture of Serena : What a shame... :eek:

veera
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:56 AM
ummm, bullshit. i'm pretty sure nike is the biggest everywhere. stop trying to run around the main issue and point fingers. i'm not defending anyone here. it's wrong you you (oh so blatantly wrong of you) to assume that it's just nike and that it would change if serena williams was still with puma?
you reside on earth, no?

He's right. Where I live in Europe, Adidas is bigger than Nike. But I believe this problem is same with most of the big companies, that make the clothes the tennis player wear.

Andrew.
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:51 AM
Serena, Lindsay, Amelie, Myskina, Maria, Daniela, Marissa, Lleyton, Roger...All freaking evil.

thecatinthehat
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:08 AM
I think that whatever choice anyone makes it is their choice and ultimately they will have to answer for it. If Serena is fine with it than so should all of us.

Celeste
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:30 AM
I avoid sports equipment brands that do any significant sports endorsements. I do not begrudge any player for getting as much as she can, more power to her, but ridiculous endorsements equal shitty products. Someone has to pay these silly sums. I wouldn't buy Reebok or Nike if my life depended on it after that obnoxious Venus deal (obnoxious for Reebok, not Venus). I have my own old nasty Reeboks for when I do yard work (yes, I do yard work) and they are terrible, hard to put on and poorly crafted. That's why they are relegated for yard use. I bought them pre-Venus, so it's not her fault, but every time I am struggling to put these shitty shoes on to weed, plant, or water, or water seeps in with just a little splash and I have soggy feet, I always think "thank you, Venus" when I'm struggling to put them on or experiencing something crappy with these shoes, and they are crappy. It's as if if Venus hadn't soaked Reebok for zillioms, the shoes would be more user-friendly. I know, nuts, but that's the deal. So, basically, I buy K-Mart brands now because they are the only ones not spending irresponsible money on endorsements.

Whether she's playing or not, I do think about Venus almost every week because I do yard work almost every week. Venus is always on my mind, but not how you'd think, and it's not necessarily good!

Diesel
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:37 AM
Serena, Lindsay, Amelie, Myskina, Maria, Daniela, Marissa, Lleyton, Roger...All freaking evil.

Evil incarnate I tell ya!

WF4EVER
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:53 AM
Nothing at all wrong with the title of this thread, but Eurotennis+Serena Pictures in a seemingly innocent thread seem to add up to a continuous obsession.

DeDe4925
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:38 PM
Unfortunatly , that's a picture of Serena : What a shame... :eek:
"Judge ye not, lest ye be judged."

griffin
Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:21 PM
Well the thread starter said athletes, but I'm only talking about women tennis players in here cause we're on wtaworld.com. Serena changed from Puma to Nike after they lured her with $$$ and with her fully aware of what's going on in these sweatshops. That's all I have to say.

Fair enough to focus on female tennis stars on this board, but that still leaves Lindsay and Momo in the same boat with Serena. I think Nike gets singled out for the same reason Serena is - name recognition and industry position. Because from what I remember reading, companies like Adidas, etc. aren't all that clean on the issue.

Does labor exploitation still suck? Yes it does. But look around your home/school/office - I'm willing to bet you'll find a few products manufactured in similar or worse conditions, including forced prison labor in China. Eat chocolate? Guess what. There's slave labor involved to some extent.

Nike and Serena are being used to draw attention to the issue because their names generate more interest. So while I'm happy that the discussion is taking place and think it's a good thing to make people think about where their stuff comes from, I don't think it's fair to demonize or single out just a few people when so many of us are truly guilty of the same thing.

SJW
Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:25 PM
wow......Serena is hot :)

GermanBoy
Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:41 PM
There are reports about the circumstances of the production of ADIDAS as well... I mean, it sounds perhaps a bit stupid and selfish but what do you want to do? :confused:

DeDe4925
Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:41 PM
Fair enough to focus on female tennis stars on this board, but that still leaves Lindsay and Momo in the same boat with Serena. I think Nike gets singled out for the same reason Serena is - name recognition and industry position. Because from what I remember reading, companies like Adidas, etc. aren't all that clean on the issue.

Does labor exploitation still suck? Yes it does. But look around your home/school/office - I'm willing to bet you'll find a few products manufactured in similar or worse conditions, including forced prison labor in China. Eat chocolate? Guess what. There's slave labor involved to some extent.

Nike and Serena are being used to draw attention to the issue because their names generate more interest. So while I'm happy that the discussion is taking place and think it's a good thing to make people think about where their stuff comes from, I don't think it's fair to demonize or single out just a few people when so many of us are truly guilty of the same thing.
:worship: :worship: :worship:

miranda_lou
Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:26 PM
Don't forget Andre Agassi and Tiger Woods wear Nike. What evil people.:lol: :lol: And they both get much bigger endorsement money than Serena does. (Andre has a lifetime contract with Nike.)

Nike has the highest profile of any sportwear company . . . maybe they aren't the BIGGEST but they are the best known. That's why they are singled out for documentaries and protests. Fair enough but, tell me, exactly what would happen if Nike decided to remove itself from Indonesia? I'll tell you what would happen . . . the already dirt poor people who work in these "sweatshops" would starve to death and nobody would care.:tape:

And don't say Nike couldn't or won't move from Asia because they could easily move to the Caribbean or to the Marianna Islands (U.S. territory, by the way) without missing a beat.

Outrage and protest are good things but those who do the protesting should think first about what would happen to these people if they have no job at all.

DA FOREHAND
Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:02 PM
No I don't support athletes who wear Nike, they get enough money from thier Nike contracts.

faboozadoo15
Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:38 PM
his favs were (Monica)/ are (Fed) are under contract with nike :p ;)
lol, im flattered u know my favs.
i hardly buy any nike things, nor am i related to anyone who works for them. i just think it's moronic that people would think only nike is guilty of this... i'm not defending anyone here. but why pick on the athletes? when if you yourself don't buy their stuff, they make no money.