PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon crowd vs. Roland Garros crowd.

OUT!
May 31st, 2004, 10:18 PM
LOL, I remember how a few years back, how the Wimbie crowd were dissed for being too polite and boring. I wonder who people prefer now? I personally like the Roland Garros crowd, save for the debacle last year with Rena:sad: They really get into the matches. Here however, we must have a world reputation for being so pleasant and boring...:rolleyes:

OUT!
May 31st, 2004, 10:20 PM
Actually, I think the dissing was last year with the lukewarm, almost indifferent, reception Rena received when she won Wimbie!

DelMonte
May 31st, 2004, 10:21 PM
LOL, I remember how a few years back, how the Wimbie crowd were dissed for being too polite and boring. I wonder who people prefer now? I personally like the Roland Garros crowd, save for the debacle last year with Rena:sad: They really get into the matches. Here however, we must have a world reputation for being so pleasant and boring...:rolleyes:

I don't think the Wimby crowd is boring. Last year I was on Henman Hill...er hang on, it was Rusedski Ridge on that day and things were anything but polite and boring. It was like a party!

OUT!
May 31st, 2004, 10:23 PM
I don't think the Wimby crowd is boring. Last year I was on Henman Hill...er hang on, it was Rusedski Ridge on that day and things were anything but polite and boring. It was like a party!How wonderful! Henmania makes the Brits really rowdy ;) But I guess on Centre Court and Court One things mellow down considerably?

volta
May 31st, 2004, 10:27 PM
they are not boring at all they respect the players and are there to watch tennis not like the french crowd who is there almost just to boo at players.

azinna
May 31st, 2004, 10:35 PM
Been to both several times, prefer Wimbey. In 1997, I enjoyed 2nd row Centre Court seats to the 4th round Wimbey match between defending champ Krajicek and Henman. The crowd was loud, electric and hysterical. But they never booed Richard and they always quieted down when a player stepped up to serve. Just a wonderful balance between excitement and respect for the game.

The Roland Garros crowd are packed with boors, not all French, mind you. You can find a better crowd at the Paris indoor tournie in November. But Roland Garros seems to bring out the worst in them. It always feels like some come itching to whistle and boo. They take delight in it. It's become a tradition, what they're known for.

DelMonte
May 31st, 2004, 10:35 PM
How wonderful! Henmania makes the Brits really rowdy ;) But I guess on Centre Court and Court One things mellow down considerably?

Henmania definitely makes people nuts! :rolleyes: Unfortunately, I've never had tickets for Centre Court or Court One but I am sure you are right in saying that things don't get too rowdy there. I think if you want rowdiness (British version of it anyway), excitement, cheers, chants etc you have to go on Henman Hill or Rusedski Ridge-- there's nothing quite like it! Even though I am not a fan of either Henman or Rusedski, I must admit the atmosphere was electric.

Farina Elia Fan
May 31st, 2004, 10:38 PM
they are not boring at all they respect the players and are there to watch tennis not like the french crowd who is there almost just to boo at players.

Talking sense! :worship:

SJW
May 31st, 2004, 10:39 PM
i prefer being polite...but polite apparently means boring...oh well...prefer that than disrespectful :)

DelMonte
May 31st, 2004, 10:39 PM
I just remembered....the 2001 final b/w Rafter (miss you still, Pat!) and Ivanisevic was absolutely brilliant. Because of rain delay, the match was held on Monday and tickets were sold to members of the public. Hundreds of Aussies living in London came and it ended up being a like a party. The crowd got really involved in the match. Definitely one of the best finals of recent memory.

OUT!
May 31st, 2004, 10:41 PM
Henmania definitely makes people nuts! :rolleyes: Unfortunately, I've never had tickets for Centre Court or Court One but I am sure you are right in saying that things don't get too rowdy there. I think if you want rowdiness (British version of it anyway), excitement, cheers, chants etc you have to go on Henman Hill or Rusedski Ridge-- there's nothing quite like it! Even though I am not a fan of either Henman or Rusedski, I must admit the atmosphere was electric.Yeah Henman Hill looks cool. I wonder if it is a class thing as well. For example (stereotypes and generalisations aside), football/soccer crowds in Britain are notoriously rowdy, yet in tennis the crowds are generally overly polite and respect the players like others have said. Is this a remnant of a bygone age in Wimbledon when manners and etiquette were the social norm? I don't know...

raquel
May 31st, 2004, 10:44 PM
There is a difference between the Wimbledon crowd and the Centre Court crowd though. Centre Court is quite restrained and polite. On the outside courts, especially court 2 it is a louder and younger audience and they make a lot of noise. I been to matches on 2 where Anna played and Venus and Serena played a doubles and the crowd were really loud. I think the crowd on the outside courts love the chance to see the big names out there and make a lot of noise for them. Centre Court crowds are used to the big names so maybe do not get as excited.

OUT!
May 31st, 2004, 10:53 PM
There is a difference between the Wimbledon crowd and the Centre Court crowd though. Centre Court is quite restrained and polite. On the outside courts, especially court 2 it is a louder and younger audience and they make a lot of noise. I been to matches on 2 where Anna played and Venus and Serena played a doubles and the crowd were really loud. I think the crowd on the outside courts love the chance to see the big names out there and make a lot of noise for them. Centre Court crowds are used to the big names so maybe do not get as excited.:o Gosh, it seems as though this thread has been posted on a false premise. Never mind. Yes, I remember the crowd becoming really loud on outside courts as well. Especially last year with Sharapova!!
SJW - so polite does not equate to boring? :)

SJW
May 31st, 2004, 10:57 PM
:o Gosh, it seems as though this thread has been posted on a false premise. Never mind. Yes, I remember the crowd becoming really loud on outside courts as well. Especially last year with Sharapova!!
SJW - so polite does not equate to boring? :)
no...i refuse to think that because i don't boo players, i'm boring :(

:)

DelMonte
May 31st, 2004, 10:58 PM
There is a difference between the Wimbledon crowd and the Centre Court crowd though. Centre Court is quite restrained and polite. On the outside courts, especially court 2 it is a louder and younger audience and they make a lot of noise. I been to matches on 2 where Anna played and Venus and Serena played a doubles and the crowd were really loud. I think the crowd on the outside courts love the chance to see the big names out there and make a lot of noise for them. Centre Court crowds are used to the big names so maybe do not get as excited.

Yep, you are right. There were lots of young kids (er..boys) during the Asagoe/Hantuchova match on Court 2 last year who were very loud. The were wildly cheering for Daniela, professing their undying love for her ("Dani, I lurve youuuuu!") etc but it never really got out of control. Dani probably gets that sort of reaction wherever she goes.

Kart
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:52 AM
I prefer the French open to Wimbledon but definitely the Wimbledon crowd.

I always think that the purpose of the crowd is to cheer, not jeer and I've seen far too much of the latter at Roland Garros in recent times.

Still that's a matter of opinion - I remember someone on Sanex arguing after Wimbledon 2001 that the Wimbledon crowd were partisan against Venus in their cheering for Justine - so I suppose that maybe even vocal support for one player over another can be just as cutting to some.