PDA

View Full Version : OK Why is Serena so disliked

cool bird
May 31st, 2004, 09:53 PM
I feel out of all the players on the tour the genral public seem to take a disliking of Serena even above her sister. And I can't really understand why.
Ok so she gets a little heated up on the court and pumps her fist at the wrong time, but so does Hewitt, also she is very underrated for her fairness on the court, she won't give you anything but she won't take anything from her oppent either. Unlike Jen who in a few matches I have seen will start on the umpire over balls that a clearly in, intimadate the line judges to get the calls at important times.

I personal think Serena is a very nice person off court she is funny, she seems quite kind and has worked hard all her life, Im not saying people should like Serena but I do think she should have more respect than she gets

SJW
May 31st, 2004, 09:55 PM
that damn arrogance...she's only won 5 of the last 6 slams she's entered...where does she get off thinking she's pretty good? :)

bw2082
May 31st, 2004, 09:58 PM
People don't like her because she's successful and they're just jealous of her success.

cool bird
May 31st, 2004, 10:03 PM
Thats what I cant understand people always throw it the arrogant card. But all the great champs from whatever sport are arrogant, Every single one of them. I think maybe people should get a better understaning of sport if they use that as a reason.

Tryphon
May 31st, 2004, 10:07 PM
There are always people who dislike the number ones. Once they get older and fall of their pedestal, people start appreciating them and supporting them more.

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 10:15 PM
When it is already too late....then theyīll lament....same way that it wasnīt until the Williamses got injured and were off the tour that people seemed to appreciate them more. Seemed...because now theyīre back and they get booed.

- L i n a -
May 31st, 2004, 10:17 PM
I'd say people like Justine less...

Martian Willow
May 31st, 2004, 10:19 PM
People don't like her because she's successful and they're just jealous of her success.

...the problem with this oft-proposed theory is that these people often like other successful people... :)

*JR*
May 31st, 2004, 10:31 PM
Lets address the REAL tough part of the question: why more than Venus? More dominant re. winning? Only a small factor, IMO. Big Sis is Regal, Reserved, all business Till The pirouette when she wins. Kid Sis yells (@ herself really) and pumps her fist after a winner. IMO, Arthur Ashe was (mostly) accepted because he didn't fit some "black stereotype". (Of course Jen is as demonstrative as Serena, and its not "an issue").

SJW
May 31st, 2004, 10:35 PM
Lets address the REAL tough part of the question: why more than Venus? More dominant re. winning? Only a small factor, IMO. Big Sis is Regal, Reserved, all business Till The pirouette when she wins. Kid Sis yells (@ herself really) and pumps her fist after a winner. IMO, Arthur Ashe was (mostly) accepted because he didn't fit some "black stereotype". (Of course Jen is as demonstrative as Serena, and its not "an issue").
this is true. i've also noticed, Serena seems to be unquestionably more popular with the players, and Venus with the fans. it's weird :confused:

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 10:36 PM
Jen if it was about fist-pumping and stuff, how can Jen be so popular?!

volta
May 31st, 2004, 10:38 PM
cuz people always confuse cofidence with arrogance. she has alot of cofidence in herself and people that have it are always trieted like arrogants. and because sheīs a "bitch" on court and thatīs 1 of the reasons why i love her. sheīs like a pitbull when gets a bone doesnīt let it go. thatīs Serena and i love her for being that.
and because she acomplished all that she acomplished some people look at her like the one to take down(itīs sad but there are people that see her that way)

SJW
Jen if it was about fist-pumping and stuff, how can Jen be so popular?!
the older, less successful theory comes into play here. i think in 5 years, V & S will be more liked than now.

GoGoMaggie
I don't buy the "you're just jealousy" argument.
I would without a doubt choose my life over hers If I could choose. Money means far less than many other things. I have better people around, know better was of spending money, have a far better sense of fashion, am far better-educated. I mean, if she weren't such a tennis player, I would think she would be less then ordinary. I wouldn't wanna be such an attention seeker and if I were Serena, I would certainly wish I would have been much prettier. Not that I'm good looking or anything, but without a a bit of hesitaton, I would opt for my life over hers. Yeah, I'm not kidding. I'm sure she's much more money or material concious then me that's the bottom line.

Mr_Molik
May 31st, 2004, 10:39 PM
bcos she is arrogant (which she has the right to be)
i personally dont like it and a lot of others dont

tennisIlove09
May 31st, 2004, 10:41 PM
this is true. i've also noticed, Serena seems to be unquestionably more popular with the players, and Venus with the fans. it's weird :confused:
Could be because Venus is more reserved. She's said that numerous times.

decemberlove
May 31st, 2004, 10:41 PM
its cos shes so damn sexy . everybody always hates the pretty girl that always wins

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 10:42 PM
I don't buy the "you're just jealousy" argument.
I would without a doubt choose my life over hers If I could choose. Money means far less than many other things. I have better people around, know better was of spending money, have a far better sense of fashion, am far better-educated. I mean, if she weren't such a tennis player, I would think she would be less then ordinary. I wouldn't wanna be such an attention seeker and if I were Serena, I would certainly wish I would have been much prettier. Not that I'm good looking or anything, but without a a bit of hesitaton, I would opt for my life over hers. Yeah, I'm not kidding. I'm sure she's much more money or material concious then me that's the bottom line.

And you mean it! Have better people around?! Whatīs that supposed to mean?!

cheo23
May 31st, 2004, 10:42 PM
Well that is so True because I remember when J.Crap yelled at the Umpire durin her match against Hingis in that Australian OPen 2002 Final something like " GEt the Fuckin Supervisor & she didn't get a fined or anything..but SERENA got a fine when she said something like fuckin Bitch when she played Emilie Loit in that 1st Round Australian Open 2003...Whats Up with that??????? I really don't UnDERSTAND! someONE Help Me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 10:43 PM
Heck...Kim even came to watch Serena play!!

SJW
May 31st, 2004, 10:43 PM
Could be because Venus is more reserved. She's said that numerous times.
or that Serena is more talkative.

Jericho
May 31st, 2004, 10:44 PM
So many factors that contribute to why she is disliked:

Extremely confident... Why shouldn't she be? she's winning right?
Plays only with power... Who doesn't play with power nowadays
She does other things than tennis... And thats a bad thing?
She's black AND american... not a good mix :lol:

People act like she doesn't have a good relationship with her family, been accused by other people of gamesmanship, admitted to getting coached during matches and thinks its ok...aww too bad, wrong player :tape:

tennisIlove09
May 31st, 2004, 10:44 PM
or that Serena is more talkative.
yea...I don't see Serena being quiet for too long :o And Venus recently said she doesn't have other players phone numbers.

I think Lindsay and Serena call each other? (oh wait...maybe that was email)

Jericho
May 31st, 2004, 10:48 PM
Well that is so True because I remember when J.Crap yelled at the Umpire durin her match against Hingis in that Australian OPen 2002 Final something like " GEt the Fuckin Supervisor & she didn't get a fined or anything..but SERENA got a fine when she said something like fuckin Bitch when she played Emilie Loit in that 1st Round Australian Open 2003...Whats Up with that??????? I really don't UnDERSTAND! someONE Help Me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Oh stop it before you open people's eyes :tape:

Not to mention Venus being examined to prove she really had an injury...im pretty sure that is a common procedure :rolleyes:

cool bird
May 31st, 2004, 10:52 PM
I do think Venus geys on with the other players but Venus is a very private person. If you notice she never really talks about her life or friends very much outside of tennis or her fasion show. But Venus must have some players numbers becuses Serena said that when the tennis player who had cancer. (I cant rember her name) Venus called her sometimes to see how she was

cheo23
May 31st, 2004, 10:54 PM
Oh stop it before you open people's eyes :tape:

Not to mention Venus being examined to prove she really had an injury...im pretty sure that is a common procedure :rolleyes:

I"m not Openin People's Eyes..I'm just goin by the FACts..I wanna Know ..why SERENA Got a Fine and nOt J.Crap..thats a pretty REasonable Argument

Stamp Paid
May 31st, 2004, 10:55 PM
Because she is confident, flamboyant, dominant, overpowering, and black. (In that order) Point blank.

WorldWar24
May 31st, 2004, 10:55 PM

Serena did not get a fine, nor a penalty, nor a warning :scratch:

Venus Forever
May 31st, 2004, 10:56 PM
Serena did not get a fine, nor a penalty, nor a warning :scratch:
Serena got a warning, but I don't think she got a fine.

Stamp Paid
May 31st, 2004, 10:58 PM
Serena got a warning, but I don't think she got a fine.
No, Serena was fined $1000 for screaming out, "You fucking failure" in that first round match against Loit at the Australian open 2003.

volta
May 31st, 2004, 10:59 PM
So many factors that contribute to why she is disliked:

Extremely confident... Why shouldn't she be? she's winning right?
Plays only with power... Who doesn't play with power nowadays
She does other things than tennis... And thats a bad thing?
She's black AND american... not a good mix :lol:

People act like she doesn't have a good relationship with her family, been accused by other people of gamesmanship, admitted to getting coached during matches and thinks its ok...aww too bad, wrong player :tape:
this is so true :sad:

Jericho
May 31st, 2004, 10:59 PM
I"m not Openin People's Eyes..I'm just goin by the FACts..I wanna Know ..why SERENA Got a Fine and nOt J.Crap..thats a pretty REasonable Argument
chillax, its just a saying...and yes Serena did get fined I remember reading an article

SJW
May 31st, 2004, 11:01 PM
yea, Serena got a fine.

i remember one time she also got a point penalty for breaking her racquet, when other players do it all the time and get nothing. tis weird :)

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 11:30 PM
yea, Serena got a fine.

i remember one time she also got a point penalty for breaking her racquet, when other players do it all the time and get nothing. tis weird :)

Yeah against Linds at the ī00 u.s. open.

SJW
May 31st, 2004, 11:32 PM
Yeah against Linds at the ī00 u.s. open.
omg really? :o

man i feel so old

Celeste
May 31st, 2004, 11:41 PM
Apart from the jealousy thing (and I really like Serena), she doesn't give her opponents much, if any, credit when she loses. She's often into the "I played bad today" or something else. While I think her statements in this regard are pretty accurate, she could learn to curb it a little and just say nothing. That loss she suffered to Justine last year at Charleston was the perfect example, it was all about her playing bad, giving Justine little to no credit. While she was right, she did play bad, I was there, her serve was really off, it comes off sour grapes and bitchy. Also, Serena plays bad more than you think and still wins big because she is that good. So whenshe does lose, she could be a little nicer about it. It's one thing to be a gracious winner, it's another to be a gracious loser even when it really was your own bad play, imo, she needs to learn to say nice things about the winner even though she doesn't believe it. Also, when she's on, she also absolutely tears her way through draws and even top players, beating them mercilessly and by embarrasing scores. It's one thing if you favorite gets beaten by Serena (she beats most people most of the time), it's another when you favorite loses like 1-6, 3-6 in an hour.

arn
May 31st, 2004, 11:43 PM
Like Venus said; Serena is just Serena.

Meaning, or you like her, or you don't! Why do some people dislike Kim/Monica/Sesil/Lindsay/....??? Because they draw attention; or by their top-ranking or by the things they say. With Serena it's both.
The regular tennisfan could care less about a player ranked in the twenties, or even some top-10 players. People don't have an opinion about them, for them those players are just there, playing along.
Once a player gets to the top, the people are forced/want to have an opinion about that person. The more extravagant that person is, the more those opinions will shift to the 2 extremes and the more noted all the bad-talking is.

Stamp Paid
May 31st, 2004, 11:47 PM
Apart from the jealousy thing (and I really like Serena), she doesn't give her opponents much, if any, credit when she loses. She's often into the "I played bad today" or something else. While I think her statements in this regard are pretty accurate, she could learn to curb it a little and just say nothing. That loss she suffered to Justine last year at Charleston was the perfect example, it was all about her playing bad, giving Justine little to no credit. While she was right, she did play bad, I was there, her serve was really off, it comes off sour grapes and bitchy. Also, Serena plays bad more than you think and still wins big because she is that good. So whenshe does lose, she could be a little nicer about it. It's one thing to be a gracious winner, it's another to be a gracious loser even when it really was your own bad play, imo, she needs to learn to say nice things about the winner even though she doesn't believe it. Also, when she's on, she also absolutely tears her way through draws and even top players, beating them mercilessly and by embarrasing scores. It's one thing if you favorite gets beaten by Serena (she beats most people most of the time), it's another when you favorite loses like 1-6, 3-6 in an hour.
You are exactly right! If I could change one thing about Serena, I would change that. She can be more gracious.:)

SJW
May 31st, 2004, 11:53 PM
blah, Serena has always given her opponents credit since she's been winning alot, people just dont bother to read the whole interviews :)

vettipooh
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:02 AM
They don't like serena because she has the ability to kick everyone's a**on court, and that irks some people.She is confident and some think she should "know her place".She is diverse,and some think "who the hell does she think she is".She is Black, and some think she does not belong on a tennis court,DOMINATING the sport.Go figure.I can't!!!!! You go Rena.Do your thing!!!!!!

arn
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:03 AM
blah, Serena has always given her opponents credit since she's been winning alot, people just dont bother to read the whole interviews :)
:rolleyes:

ok, She does say the other person played great, but she ALWAYS adds that she herself could have played better.

bandabou
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:03 AM
omg really? :o

man i feel so old

Me too! :lol:

Venus Forever
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:04 AM
See, she does do that, but then she OFTEN contradicts herself.

Like Charleston 2003, she claimed she play a thousand times below her level, but then says that Justine played a great match.

People don't like that, it's either one or the other with most, and most want to hear that the other opponent was just too good, and that alone.

SJW
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:06 AM

ok, She does say the other person played great, but she ALWAYS adds that she herself could have played better.
and who doesn't? :) Justine? errrrrr no, she does that. Jennifer? yea her too....Venus? sure thing. Linzi? of course....

SJW
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:06 AM

Like Charleston 2003, she claimed she play a thousand times below her level, but then says that Justine played a great match.

People don't like that, it's either one or the other with most, and most want to hear that the other opponent was just too good, and that alone.
see above post.

bandabou
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:09 AM
Just recently....I read someone say: " Today I wasnīt the player Iīve been the last 12 months."......

Venus Forever
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:11 AM
and who doesn't? :) Justine? errrrrr no, she does that. Jennifer? yea her too....Venus? sure thing. Linzi? of course....
Not to the extent of Serena.

Serena's entire interview is about her errors, with one line on her opponent's good play.

In Justine's interviews, it's not all about errors in the entire interview, she always congratulates her opponent in every other line.

People like to see more respect given to the opponent, and Justine and others give it more than Serena does.

arn
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:13 AM

You're right, and maybe in the minds of people that makes it even worse because people feel Serena is not telling what she herself believes is true. People think she just says it but doesn't mean.

When Kim says; "I was beaten by a better opponent today" , everybody will believe her and wish her better luck in her next match.
When Serena says; "I played a terrible match, and yeah, also my opponent played a great match" , lots of people will think she's being arrogant again and only blames the loss on herself without crediting the other.

SJW
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:15 AM
i just think it's common sense...her interviews are always centred on her... "so is your knee ok?" "well, she was running really well and got a lot of balls back" doesn't make sense to me :confused:

oh well, nobody seems to follow logic on this board.

bandabou
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:17 AM
Only thing to fix with Serena....and as a fan, I can stand up to it: Girl you gotta give more credit. People deep down know the truth anyways, that the loss was more about you than about the other player, but you not always should tell the truth.

arn
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:17 AM
Just recently....I read someone say: " Today I wasnīt the player Iīve been the last 12 months."......
uhm, small difference here;

1) If Serena had been ill for over 2 months and had said the same, everybody will agree.

2) If Serena had said this after a loss against a 80-ranked player everybody will also agree cos that just not normal.

3) If Serena would have said this in normal circumstances after a loss against a top-5 player, everybody will say it's arrogant, the same for Justine.

*JR*
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:19 AM
i just think it's common sense...her interviews are always centred on her... "so is your knee ok?" "well, she was running really well and got a lot of balls back" doesn't make sense to me :confused:
Excellent point! :kiss:

SJW
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:20 AM
uhm, small difference here;

1) If Serena had been ill for over 2 months and had said the same, everybody will agree.

2) If Serena had said this after a loss against a 80-ranked player everybody will also agree cos that just not normal.

3) If Serena would have said this in normal circumstances after a loss against a top-5 player, everybody will say it's arrogant, the same for Justine.
Serena was away for 8 months came back and lost to Nadia and Jennifer...she thought she was a lil rusty but playing herself into form, but gave them their props, and apparently the "i'm rusty" is arrogance.

now Justine was ill 4 six weeks and lost to Garbin who is pretty talented. she said she was ill, and i believe that's why she lost, but she's not held to the same standards.

bullshit :)

arn
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:21 AM
Only thing to fix with Serena....and as a fan, I can stand up to it: Girl you gotta give more credit. People deep down know the truth anyways, that the loss was more about you than about the other player, but you not always should tell the truth.
I agree most of her losses are because she wasn't playing like she can. BUT the thing is; why didn't she? Was Serena serving badly because there was pressure on her serve? Was her backhand off because low slice balls where played in it?

So instead of saying that she was off, she could say she didn't play that well because the other didn't let her. That's a huge difference.

venus_envy
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:23 AM
You're right, and maybe in the minds of people that makes it even worse because people feel Serena is not telling what she herself believes is true. People think she just says it but doesn't mean.

When Kim says; "I was beaten by a better opponent today" , everybody will believe her and wish her better luck in her next match.
When Serena says; "I played a terrible match, and yeah, also my opponent played a great match" , lots of people will think she's being arrogant again and only blames the loss on herself without crediting the other.

When Serena contradicts herself like that what she is really saying is, "I in order for somebody to beat me, I have to be playing at a level that is 100x worse than usual and that person has to play the match of their life". Basically, she not acknowledging the possibility that she was outplayed or beat fair and square.

She comes off as being very arrogant and self absorbed, and most people don't like that type of person. Look at Jennifer Capriati...during 2000-2001, she used to make a whole bunch of arrogant statements and people on this very board used to hate on her on the regular. Now that she has seemed to mellow out many people (even Williams fans who used to be her most ardent haters) like her now.

arn
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:23 AM
Serena was away for 8 months came back and lost to Nadia and Jennifer...she thought she was a lil rusty but playing herself into form, but gave them their props, and apparently the "i'm rusty" is arrogance.

now Justine was ill 4 six weeks and lost to Garbin who is pretty talented. she said she was ill, and i believe that's why she lost, but she's not held to the same standards.

bullshit :)
I don't think anyone said she was arrogant after those 2 losses?

Also in her time off she kept saying she was the real #1, well, if you come back and don't play like it, people will get back to you on that.

bandabou
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:24 AM
I agree most of her losses are because she wasn't playing like she can. BUT the thing is; why didn't she? Was Serena serving badly because there was pressure on her serve? Was her backhand off because low slice balls where played in it?

So instead of saying that she was off, she could say she didn't play that well because the other didn't let her. That's a huge difference.

Uhum.....agreed.

bandabou
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:25 AM
I was just gonna say that....when Serena lost to Nadia and there was talk about her knee, nobody believed it. Now Arn comes up with the no.1 crap....whatīs up with that?! Was or wasnīt Serena out for eight months?!

Sam L
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:26 AM
that damn arrogance...she's only won 5 of the last 6 slams she's entered...where does she get off thinking she's pretty good? :)
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, and you've overused it. Try coming up with something new. :yawn:

SJW
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:27 AM
I don't think anyone said she was arrogant after those 2 losses?

Also in her time off she kept saying she was the real #1, well, if you come back and don't play like it, people will get back to you on that.prime example of people who read the headlines but dont give a flying duck about quotes or context.

"people still think i'm number one. i don't have time to explain that i'm not so i just say yes. it's a lot easier to just say yes (laughter)".

my tip for the day is that reading is good and context is everything. :) the laughter? that would give the impression it was just a joke :o

arn
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:27 AM
Look at Jennifer Capriati...during 2000-2001, she used to make a whole bunch of arrogant statements and people on this very board used to hate on her on the regular. Now that she has seemed to mellow out many people (even Williams fans who used to be her most ardent haters) like her now.
Somebody said in the beginning of this thread that with age people will like her better cos that's what happened to lots of players before who were disliked first.

Well, that's maybe because age brings wisdom and experience to stop you from being the arrogant person you were 5 years earlier.

arn
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:31 AM
prime example of people who read the headlines but dont give a flying duck about quotes or context.

"people still think i'm number one. i don't have time to explain that i'm not so i just say yes. it's a lot easier to just say yes (laughter)".

my tip for the day is that reading is good and context is everything. :) the laughter? that would give the impression it was just a joke :oI read it all, don't worry :) But maybe she's wrong there? It's a very arrogant saying to me. The easiest way is not the best way.

Even if you take what she said in full, it seems like she says; I'm the real nr one, otherwise I would have said no to the people who asked me that question.

dreamgoddess099
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:33 AM
Apart from the jealousy thing (and I really like Serena), she doesn't give her opponents much, if any, credit when she loses. She's often into the "I played bad today" or something else. While I think her statements in this regard are pretty accurate, she could learn to curb it a little and just say nothing. Serena is just very open and doesn't lie about how she is feeling. According to some, she goes out of her way to be popular. But if that was the case, why hasn't she changed the things that some claim they don't like about her? She could be real fake and kiss up to her opponents, surely that would make her even more popular. Serena is honest, if she feels she didn't play well she'll say it. If she only cared about being more popular, she'd give out fake compliments to her opponents to make the public think she is really "gracious." Serena just doesn't go out of her way to say the things that people want to hear. And because she's not willing to compromise her honesty, people conclude that she is arrogant because doesn't care about pleasing them. Which is true. :lol:

That loss she suffered to Justine last year at Charleston was the perfect example, it was all about her playing bad, giving Justine little to no credit. While she was right, she did play bad, I was there, her serve was really off, it comes off sour grapes and bitchy. Also, Serena plays bad more than you think and still wins big because she is that good. So whenshe does lose, she could be a little nicer about it. It's one thing to be a gracious winner, it's another to be a gracious loser even when it really was your own bad play, imo, she needs to learn to say nice things about the winner even though she doesn't believe it.Exactly, Serena is an honest person. People want her to lie and get mad at her when she doesn't. Serena's only responsibility is to play her opponents, not to hype them or their talent up. She often says if her opponent played well, but that's not enough. People want her to praise the hell out of the girl so they can say that the girl is so good that even Serena was impressed. :rolleyes: Also, when she's on, she also absolutely tears her way through draws and even top players, beating them mercilessly and by embarrasing scores. It's one thing if you favorite gets beaten by Serena (she beats most people most of the time), it's another when you favorite loses like 1-6, 3-6 in an hour.Yep, Serena can kill a player and still not be satisfied with her performance. :lol: Amazing how the insatiable drive in a person can be misconstrued as arrogance. It's as if people think that she is asking for too much by wanting to be better when she is already the best on tour.

volta
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:34 AM

like every player does.

bandabou
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:36 AM
funny how in like 6 weeks Justine can come out and say she wasnīt the player she usually is, but Serena canīt say the same after being out for 7 months. Very interesting...

Geri
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:36 AM
prime example of people who read the headlines but dont give a flying duck about quotes or context.

"people still think i'm number one. i don't have time to explain that i'm not so i just say yes it's a lot easier to just say yes (laughter)".

my tip for the day is that reading is good and context is everything. :) the laughter? that would give the impression it was just a joke :o

:confused: How long does it take to say 'I am not number 1 anymore'? 2 seconds??

arn
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:38 AM
And before I get the label Williamshater, I want to point out that I'm totally neutral towards Serena (except if she plays Kim, Justine or Kirsten) and that Venus is in my top-10 of fav players. For me Serena can be as arrogant as she wants, I will :rolleyes: once when I hear her say something that seems arrogant to me, but because she doesn't harm me in teh least by saying it, I don't really care :) I just want to help finding the solution for the main question in this thread.

venus_envy
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:40 AM
Serena is just very open and doesn't lie about how she is feeling. According to some, she goes out of her way to be popular. But if that was the case, why hasn't she changed the things that some claim they don't like about her? She could be real fake and kiss up to her opponents, surely that would make her even more popular. Serena is honest, if she feels she didn't play well she'll say it. If she only cared about being more popular, she'd give out fake compliments to her opponents to make the public think she is really "gracious." Serena just doesn't go out of her way to say the things that people want to hear. And because she's not willing to compromise her honesty, people conclude that she is arrogant because doesn't care about pleasing them. Which is true. :lol:

Exactly, Serena is an honest person. People want her to lie and get mad at her when she doesn't. Serena's only responsibility is to play her opponents, not to hype them or their talent up. She often says if her opponent played well, but that's not enough. People want her to praise the hell out of the girl so they can say that the girl is so good that even Serena was impressed. :rolleyes: Yep, Serena can kill a player and still not be satisfied with her performance. :lol: Amazing how the insatiable drive in a person can be misconstrued as arrogance. It's as if people think that she is asking for too much by wanting to be better when she is already the best on tour.

The reason why people don't like it is because the WTA tour is made up of more players than Serena Williams. And the game is about a lot more than the errors that she makes.

Just like there are fans that get upset when other players say something bad about the William Sisters. The other players have fans too and they don't appreciate their favorite's efforts being explained away as being not an achievement on their part, but due to the fact that Serena played 1000x below her level that day.

volta
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:40 AM
funny how in like 6 weeks Justine can come out and say she wasnīt the player she usually is, but Serena canīt say the same after being out for 7 months. Very interesting...
not also that but Justine can say that she has the best 2š ball on Tour and Serena canīt say that sheīs playing not that well. seems like some of you are judging Serena just cuz she is Serena.

arn
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:41 AM
like every player does.
Have you read player interviews??? Kim (well, maybe she's not the example to take but I know her best ;) ) has maybe said she was playing badly 3 times after a loss. The first thing she normally does is saying the other was better or saying it could have gone both ways.

arn
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:44 AM
we are just having that discussion :p

Maybe Serena is also set to other standards because she herself puts herself one step higher as the rest and so to other standerds?

volta
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:47 AM
Have you read player interviews??? Kim (well, maybe she's not the example to take but I know her best ;) ) has maybe said she was playing badly 3 times after a loss. The first thing she normally does is saying the other was better or saying it could have gone both ways.
Serena does that 2 or you didnīt read the topic Serena on playing Jenn?! every1 does it and Kim does that also. but since itīs Serena.........

bandabou
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:47 AM
we are just having that discussion :p

Maybe Serena is also set to other standards because she herself puts herself one step higher as the rest and so to other standerds?

Thatīs what I call: blah blah blah!

arn
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:58 AM
I was just gonna say that....when Serena lost to Nadia and there was talk about her knee, nobody believed it. Now Arn comes up with the no.1 crap....whatīs up with that?! Was or wasnīt Serena out for eight months?!
It's just a theory like many others that could be in the minds of people, just exploring different routes :)

arn
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:03 AM
Serena does that 2 or you didnīt read the topic Serena on playing Jenn?! every1 does it and Kim does that also. but since itīs Serena.........
Sorry, didn't read that topic, If Serena did say it was Jenn who was playing better without adding she was playing far from good, all the better! If she repeats that 2-3 time on big occasions, people will already be nicer to her I think (and hope) :)

volta
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:16 AM
Sorry, didn't read that topic, If Serena did say it was Jenn who was playing better without adding she was playing far from good, all the better! If she repeats that 2-3 time on big occasions, people will already be nicer to her I think (and hope) :)
but she can still do what she did last RG when she lost against Justine. she said that she didnīt played that well on important points but that Justine (after stilling her 2 servers but thatīs other story) played better then her.
i think that commentators have some guilty on this 2. they always steal/give players credits. they always want to see blood between the players. but people have to start to see Serena as a cofident person and not a arrogant one.

joaco
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:18 AM
I like Serena. She is such a CHAMPION. I just like watching her matches because of her attitude. Always trying to win... it's unbelievable

Venus on the other hand.... she is SO arrogant. She gives no credit whatsoever to her opponent.... i don't like her.

Joaco

VS Fan
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:21 AM
Serena is DISLIKED so much that NIKE gave her a $60 Million endorsement deal!
She has numerous other sponsors who pay her for her infamy.

How can I get to be disliked in this manner???

Inquiring minds would like to know!

arn
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:45 AM
but she can still do what she did last RG when she lost against Justine. she said that she didnīt played that well on important points but that Justine (after stilling her 2 servers but thatīs other story) played better then her.
i think that commentators have some guilty on this 2. they always steal/give players credits. they always want to see blood between the players. but people have to start to see Serena as a cofident person and not a arrogant one.
I agree, that's a better way :) But changing people perspective takes some time...It isn't done after 1 time...

volta
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:52 AM
I agree, that's a better way :) But changing people perspective takes some time...It isn't done after 1 time...
yeah. and i think that people gonna loose that perspective over Serena when she retires from Tennis (cuz thatīs what they want)

Jericho
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:09 AM
Venus on the other hand.... she is SO arrogant. She gives no credit whatsoever to her opponent.... i don't like her.
was that a joke :confused:

volta
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:13 AM
was that a joke :confused:
lol it has to be or he doesnīt know who Venus is......

dreamgoddess099
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:18 AM
The reason why people don't like it is because the WTA tour is made up of more players than Serena Williams. And the game is about a lot more than the errors that she makes.Serena is only responsible for Serena and should only talk about or criticize herself. The reporters want to hear about her, that's why they ask her questions about her and usually her only or Venus. How is she putting the other players down by being honest about how she feels about her own level of play? Why are people so dependent on Serena's opinion of the other players? If the tour is made up of so many other players, then why is what Serena thinks or feels so important and so much more paid attention to?

Just like there are fans that get upset when other players say something bad about the William Sisters. There is a big difference in saying something bad and not saying nothing at all.

The other players have fans too and they don't appreciate their favorite's efforts being explained away as being not an achievement on their part, but due to the fact that Serena played 1000x below her level that day.That's their problem. If they think she is so arrogant and they hate her so much, then why does Serena's approval of their fav mean so much? Why should she have to lie and say she played her best if she didn't just to make others feel better? If she feels she could have played better then why should she have to suppress that? That's control when someone tries to tell you how to act or what to say. Serena is entitled to say how she really feels about her performance without insecure fans wanting her to give comformation to their favs. Then they call her arrogant when she doesn't do it just to please them. Serena doesn't play for the other players or their fans.

Frongie
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:20 AM
bcos she is arrogant (which she has the right to be)
i personally dont like it and a lot of others dont

:worship:

venus_envy
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:36 AM
Serena is only responsible for Serena and should only talk about or criticize herself. The reporters want to hear about her, that's why they ask her questions about her and usually her only or Venus. How is she putting the other players down by being honest about how she feels about her own level of play? Why are people so dependent on Serena's opinion of the other players? If the tour is made up of so many other players, then why is what Serena thinks or feels so important and so much more paid attention to?

There is a big difference in saying something bad and not saying nothing at all.

That's their problem. If they think she is so arrogant and they hate her so much, then why does Serena's approval of their fav mean so much? Why should she have to lie and say she played her best if she didn't just to make others feel better? If she feels she could have played better then why should she have to suppress that? That's control when someone tries to tell you how to act or what to say. Serena is entitled to say how she really feels about her performance without insecure fans wanting her to give comformation to their favs. Then they call her arrogant when she doesn't do it just to please them. Serena doesn't play for the other players or their fans.

Serena approval doesn't mean anything to me although I think she does give credit to my fave. I agree that Serena is entitled to say whatever she wants to say, but on the same token people are entitled to interpret her statements as arrogant and not like her.

The original question of this thread was why don't people like Serena? I think many people have told you why they don't like her and people still want to argue. Its like asking somebody why don't you like carrots...they don't like them because they just don't and reagrdless of how much you try to convince them you can't change their opinion.

I say if you ask a hard question, be prepared for a hard answer. The original poster asked why people don't like Serena and people have responded why. The most prevalent reason is because most people feel that she is too arrogant. People are going to like who they like and dislike who they want to dislike. My question to these people that keep starting these threads is, "Why does it matter to you who other people like?". Are you gaining anything by harassing people just because they don't like your favorite? Are you partaking in their winnings? I highly doubt it.

People like who they like because they have free will and the freedom to form opinions. From my perspective, if you really love Serena and think that she is great then that should be enough for you. But don't bother to get upset or concerned if everybody doesn't share your view. Why not just like who you like and stop worrying about who other people like, huh? :cool:

dreamgoddess099
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:44 AM
I agree that Serena is entitled to say whatever she wants to say, but on the same token people are entitled to interpret her statements as arrogant and not like her.
People are entitled to interpret whatever whichever way they want. But giving your opinion and stating something are fact is different. Nobody deserves to be lied on.

venus_envy
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:56 AM
People are entitled to interpret whatever whichever way they want. But giving your opinion and stating something are fact is different. Nobody deserves to be lied on.

Who's lying on her? Most people are taking more things than just the words to gather their opinions about Serena. There are the things that she says in her interviews, and then there are unspoken things that people are interpreting like body language on the court, during interviews, and when she actually makes those statements. Whether you want to believe it or not we as people form opinions about each other everyday based on both objective and subjective criteria. In Serena's case, many people have formed the opinion that she is arrogant based on the data that they have about her. That's not lying about her that's forming an opinion. It's the same way that you have decided that you think she's great. Don't knock others if they interpret Serena's statements and actions as being arrogant. People are entitled to an opinion, and having a negative perception of Serena doesn't mean that somebody is lying about her. They just don't like her.

Kabezya
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:32 AM

That black stereotype is a trip.

sartrista7
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:36 AM
venus envy is on the money throughout this thread... it all comes down to personal preference, really, but some obsessed fans find that hard to take.