PDA

View Full Version : Journalist hears some racist slurs against Serena in match against Asagoe

DelMonte
May 31st, 2004, 05:34 PM
I posted this in view of the recent discussions we have been having about the French crowd etc. I suppose what's written below proves that there are SOME racist idiots out there who yell out offensive things. Before everyone jumps at me, THIS NOT A STATEMENT ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED LAST YEAR NOR A GENERALISATION ABOUT THE FRENCH CROWD AT RG. I just thought that people might be interested in this article- it certainly surprised me when I read it. I am hoping that Venus and Serena don't hear that crap when they are playing.

DelMonte

Source: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,9709318%255E11088,00.html

French forget Sister sledge
Bruce Wilson
Paris
01jun04

THE Sisters, in their different ways, notified the tennis world they were back, in trumps, yesterday when they handed out more than a little sister power to fourth-round opponents and kept on track for a semi-final showdown.

The Parisian crowd remains just a little unsure about Serena, but on the whole it was cheers all round for these two remarkable tennis players.
Injuries, crises, huge other interests that include clothing design and acting, an extended and unusual family . . . nothing seems to stop The Sisters when they get it on. And, remember, Venus is still only 23 and Serena 22.

Serena had been given the bird -- or, rather the Parisian guttersnipe whistle -- on court as recently as Saturday.

Stubborn idiots still carry a grudge against her for an episode that was none of her doing a year ago involving Justine Henin-Hardenne in a semi-final.

Watching her overwhelm the outgunned Japanese Shinobu Asagoe on that same centre court, I heard a couple of yells of "negrita" with a French expletive or two in front.

But when Serena cleaned up, 6-3 6-1 in just 55 minutes, most of the full house stood to her.

Sister Venus was going around at the same time on Suzanne Lenglen, the other major showcourt. It seemed like a familial race for a while. Serena was 6-3 4-1 when Venus was 6-1 2-0. But the Colombian Fabiola Zuluaga fought back to take the elder Williams to a 7-6 (7-3) tiebreak.

Before The Sisters can meet, second seed Serena has a quarter-final date with seventh seed Jennifer Capriati, who beat Italian Francesca Schiavone, the 17th seed, 7-5 6-1.

Venus, fourth seed, has the sixth seed, Russian Anastasia Myskina in her quarter.

Amelie Mauresmo is just about unbeatable if you read the French press, and she certainly is sweeping opponents aside, yesterday's victim being Magdalena Maleeva, slaughtered 6-1 6-2.

But it was no simpler than the way Elena Dementieva won her fourth-round match against the much more powerful Lindsay Davenport. Dementieva-Mauresmo looks like being a terrific match.

In the other women's quarter, the 17-year-old Maria Sharapova has been seen as the likely star of the future. You would think her too good for Paola Suarez, of Argentina, even though Suarez, at 14, is seeded two above Sharapova.

Stamp Paid
May 31st, 2004, 05:45 PM
See thats what people on this board fail to realize. The RG crowd wasn't just booing and whistling at Serena during the RG SF last year, they were hurling racial epithets at her!

Yes, they boo everybody, but they can only hurl racial epithets at two women out there.

Jericho
May 31st, 2004, 05:50 PM
the French crowd is the trashiest and unclassiest crowd...they boo everyone, I wouldn't be surprised if they boo Clijsters and Seles :rolleyes:

Black Mamba.
May 31st, 2004, 05:51 PM
I'm just waiting for the people to come by and say they deserve that or make up excuses for the crowd's behavior.

Jericho
May 31st, 2004, 06:00 PM
I love it how venus and serena still have the "nerve" to wave and blow kisses at them, it's like they're saying "fuck you and see you tomorrow!"...I LOVE IT! :lol:

DelMonte
May 31st, 2004, 06:26 PM
I don't know whether Serena heard those people yell out those things and, if she did, I don't think she would ever bring it up during an interview/press conference. I mean how would she prove that it's true and a lot of people would probably accuse her of playing the 'race card' as they did during last year's FO.

esquímaux
May 31st, 2004, 06:29 PM
http://www.onlinetalent.com/image21.gif

Wow! I forgot about them too! :D

Stamp Paid
May 31st, 2004, 06:55 PM
Boy, this thread is going nowhere for some reason...........(As far as discussion is concerned) Interesting.

lizchris
May 31st, 2004, 06:57 PM

Weren't there four members of Sister Sledge?

BTW, regardimg some yelling racial epithets at Serena, why is anyone surprised? They do the same thing to her and Venus in the US.

SJW
May 31st, 2004, 07:00 PM
well i'll be damned...i thought racist comments were just a myth :)

harloo
May 31st, 2004, 07:02 PM
BTW, regardimg some yelling racial epithets at Serena, why is anyone surprised? They do the same thing to her and Venus in the US.
Exactly what's the suprise?:(

Freewoman33
May 31st, 2004, 07:16 PM
I love it how venus and serena still have the "nerve" to wave and blow kisses at them, it's like they're saying "fuck you and see you tomorrow!"...I LOVE IT! :lol:

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 07:31 PM
Really sick.....and it was no rascism, huh?! People will regret this one day!!

Martian Willow
May 31st, 2004, 07:38 PM
well i'll be damned...i thought racist comments were just a myth :)

...so did the rest of us...that's why we've been stunned into silence by this shocking exposal of the truth... :)

selesfan1
May 31st, 2004, 07:39 PM
Isn't Negrita a Spanish word? Didn't know it was used in French also. In any case it wouldn't surprise me if there were some Spanish speakers from certain countries in the crowd that yelled racial things.

VS Fan
May 31st, 2004, 07:41 PM
"They do the same thing in the US."

Sadly, it probably happens MORE OFTEN in the US. France as a whole is less racist than the US.

Reference "the Josephine Baker Story" (Set in the mid 20th Century)

Rejected in the US, she found fame in France, and even after establishing herself as a star, she could not stay in "white" hotels in NYC of get service in resturants.

I am sure there are racists in France, but France is miles ahead of the US in tolerance of those who seem "differennt".

FanDeJen
May 31st, 2004, 07:42 PM
"negrita" is not an insult... well at least not in Spanish...

SJW
May 31st, 2004, 07:43 PM
don't think it was the use of "negrita"...it was the use of expletives in front of it...

let me guess, people don't know what an "expletive" is :)

Martian Jeza
May 31st, 2004, 07:44 PM

Sadly, it probably happens MORE OFTEN in the US. France as a whole is less racist than the US.

Rejected in the US, she found fame in France, and even after establishing herself as a star, she could not stay in "white" hotels in NYC of get service in resturants.

I am sure there are racists in France, but France is miles ahead of the US in tolerance of those who seem "differennt".

You have racists everywhere, face it :D

I dislike the Williams but I'm NOT Racist !

DelMonte
May 31st, 2004, 07:47 PM

ordinarily it may not be an insult. but context is everything. why would tennis fans have occasion to yell out 'negrita' during a tennis match featuring a black player?

selesfan1
May 31st, 2004, 07:48 PM
yeah exactly Negrita is not an insult by itself in Spanish they could have said

Stamp Paid
May 31st, 2004, 07:49 PM
I think "negrita (followed by an expletive or two)" its comparable to calling Serena a "Negro Bitch" instead of a "****** Bitch". Slight difference, but they both are wrong and hurtful and uncalled for.

esquímaux

:lol: Hey the thread title was changed (French forget sister sledge) :lol: Now my ealier post looks completely out of the blue :haha::silly:

FanDeJen
Just to let u know in Argentina Paola Suarez Nickname (among her closest friends and family) is "la Negra" sooo it´s not an insult

esquímaux
May 31st, 2004, 07:51 PM
****** smigger, grow up people and quit looking for excuses to hate :rolleyes::angel:

SJW
May 31st, 2004, 07:52 PM
I heard a couple of yells of "negrita" with a French expletive or two in front.
1. expletive •n. (http://aol.oxfordreference.com/views/ENTRY.html?entry=t23.e19392&srn=1&category=t23&ssid=997684789#FIRSTHIT) (100%)
an oath or swear word.

just for those who don't know the meaning :)

DelMonte
May 31st, 2004, 07:55 PM
Just to let u know in Argentina Paola Suarez Nickname (among her closest friends and family) is "la Negra" sooo it´s not an insult

You have got to be kidding?? This (how Paola is called by her closest friends and family) is used as an example to prove that the people who were yelling 'negrita' were not meaning it in an insulting way, esp with the swear words before 'negrita'? Do you think they were meaning it in an affectionate way, the way perhaps Paola's family does?

Do you know what 'CONTEXT' is??

FanDeJen
May 31st, 2004, 08:01 PM
yeah Negrita is an affectionate way to call someone... I call my mom that way "negrita" mi negrita linda yes

VS Fan
May 31st, 2004, 08:04 PM
My position, is the unruly French crowd in 2003, were just supporting Justine (in an unsavory way). Racism would have been a very minimum factor.

I think it was more Nationalistic or Eurocentric. (We want to win vs the Americans)

The chair umpire also did NOTHING to calm the crowd, and Serena Served a "second serve" fault with the crowd still jeering. She should have waited. She lost her cool, and lost the match. Hopefully this is a lesson learned. Why she collapsed in this instance is still a puzzle to me, since she survived a MUCH worse atmosphere at Indian Wells in 2001.

Serena COULD have maintained her cool and had a better chance. (She WAS flat outplayed in the first set) I have gotten over it, Serena has gotten over it, maybe someday tennis fans will get over it.

-Em-
May 31st, 2004, 08:09 PM
you can't really say like in general that the french crowd is stupid or prejudiced. you need to remember that there are lots of people who've been watching tennis like for years and are really into it...
it's pretty specific, because you get there much more people than usual, and amonst them unfortunately some idiots, who have no idea what this whole game is all about, and who go out screaming such things about the williams sisters...i just can't believe it!!!!! i always thought that tennis was for intelligent people and what a surprise i get now!!!!!!! :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Martian Willow
May 31st, 2004, 08:09 PM
I'm just waiting for the people to come by and say they deserve that or make up excuses for the crowd's behavior.

...OK I give in, some people are doing that... :rolleyes:

DelMonte
May 31st, 2004, 08:10 PM
My position, is the unruly French crowd in 2003, were just supporting Justine (in an unsavory way). Racism would have been a very minimum factor.

I think it was more Nationalistic or Eurocentric. (We want to win vs the Americans)

The chair umpire also did NOTHING to calm the crowd, and Serena Served a "second serve" fault with the crowd still jeering. She should have waited. She lost her cool, and lost the match. Hopefully this is a lesson learned. Why she collapsed in this instance is still a puzzle to me, since she survived a MUCH worse atmosphere at Indian Wells in 2001.

Serena COULD have maintained her cool and had a better chance. (She WAS flat outplayed in the first set) I have gotten over it, Serena has gotten over it, maybe someday tennis fans will get over it.

VSFan, as I said in my first post, THIS IS NOT ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED LAST YEAR. It is pointless to speculate about the exact reasons that caused Serene to be booed. I posted this article so that people could see what happened YESTERDAY (not a year ago); finally we have concrete proof that racial slurs have been yelled out when Serena plays. I, for one, would love to see this tennis board coming together and condemning that and saying that this sort of thing has no place in the game of tennis NO MATTER HOW PEOPLE FEEL ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED LAST YEAR. Surely this is one thing that we can all agree upon??

- L i n a -
May 31st, 2004, 08:20 PM
Nobody is shocked that there were a few people making racist remarks... and I would almost guarantee there were a few people with racist remarks towards Shinobu also.

However, it's wrong to say that the French were a racist CROWD... it's a small group of fools that do it... and unfortunately, that happens everywhere, against all races.

Stamp Paid
May 31st, 2004, 08:26 PM
Nobody is shocked that there were a few people making racist remarks... and I would almost guarantee there were a few people with racist remarks towards Shinobu also.

However, it's wrong to say that the French were a racist CROWD... it's a small group of fools that do it... and unfortunately, that happens everywhere, against all races.
Hey, I probably forgot, so can you remind me of an event where a white person was assaulted with racial epithets? Thanks!:wavey:

DelMonte
May 31st, 2004, 08:28 PM

It's wrong to say that the entire US army is responsible for the torturing of Iraqui detainees. It's just a few soldiers who did it...a few bad apples. This is war and unfortunately things like that happen in wars everywhere around the world; it's just the way it is.

[The good ole 'a few bad appples' theory can be adapted to almost every context.]

"Topaz"
May 31st, 2004, 08:29 PM
Does anybody know what the "French expletives (1 or 2) in front" were? They may tell more than "negrita" itself. Or, at least, they may tell us how to interpret the intent behind "negrita". Failing that :shrug:.

VS Fan
May 31st, 2004, 08:31 PM
Delmonte:

I absolutely agree with you, but a few racist will ALWAYS be present in a crowd of 15,000. 250 of these can be very loud, but we must learn to ignore them. Black people and other minorities have progressed by performing while being jeered. While there were a few before them, Venus and Serena know this well. Roll with the punches and just keep winning. Respect will come even if grudgingly.

prophet2
May 31st, 2004, 08:50 PM
I guess this is question a little off the subject, what is Paola Suarez racial background. I always assumed it was indigneous indian.

charmedRic
May 31st, 2004, 09:01 PM
See thats what people on this board fail to realize. The RG crowd wasn't just booing and whistling at Serena during the RG SF last year, they were hurling racial epithets at her!

Yes, they boo everybody, but they can only hurl racial epithets at two women out there.
Exactly!

Josh
May 31st, 2004, 09:10 PM
Why is the article dated on June 1st 2004? :confused:

Not saying the reporter is lying or anything but I've never heard a Frenchie say "negrita" before....And does he understand enough French to know that it were really expletives?

WorldWar24
May 31st, 2004, 09:11 PM
I think "negrita (followed by an expletive or two)" its comparable to calling Serena a "Negro Bitch" instead of a "****** Bitch". Slight difference, but they both are wrong and hurtful and uncalled for.

No it's not. Negrita means little black girl in spanish. Negro is only used as an insult in english :rolleyes:

By itself, the word negrita is a sweet way to refer to a black girl. I don't know what the other words said were, but this is not racist at all

Tylane
May 31st, 2004, 09:14 PM
Sorry but negrita is definitly not a french word, it was not a French who said that.
And the french crowd is not more racist than the US crowd, I'd even say "less" !
If people don't like Serena, it not because she's black. I have the impression that some pople here would like that it is because of that, but no.
The most of the favorites sportmen of French people are black, so please, your thread is very stupid...stop right now.

hingis-seles
May 31st, 2004, 09:17 PM
No wonder Serena looked seemingly upset after her match against Asagoe. Her grin wasn't that great....or maybe she was just upset because she wasn't satisfied with her level of play.

Speculation.......

Stamp Paid
May 31st, 2004, 09:20 PM
No it's not. Negrita means little black girl in spanish. Negro is only used as an insult in english :rolleyes:

By itself, the word negrita is a sweet way to refer to a black girl. I don't know what the other words said were, but this is not racist at all
Oh excuse me. Not "Negro bitch" (Negro is NOT and offensive English word, btw), but "Little Black Bitch". Slight difference, but still wrong, hurtful, and uncalled for.

:wavey:

WorldWar24
May 31st, 2004, 09:26 PM
Oh excuse me. Not "Negro bitch" (Negro is NOT and offensive English word, btw), but "Little Black Bitch". Slight difference, but still wrong, hurtful, and uncalled for.

:wavey:

You people are so stubborn and you don't even know what you're talking about! Negrita is a loving word! It is! When a spanish person says come here "negrita" for instance, to a young black girl, they mean come here my sweet honey(who happens to be black but who cares) they mean it with the best of intentions :angel: There's no racism intended

AND THIS JOURNO IS AMERICAN SO HE PROBABLY DOESN'T SPEAK ANYTHING BUt ENGLISH, so how can he know it was offensive!? He doesn't even know that negrita is a kind word, and that french don't say it, spanish do :rolleyes:

Tylane
May 31st, 2004, 09:33 PM
Please, for the nasty french crowd reports which come from anywhere, put them in the same thread. Thanks

Yasmine
May 31st, 2004, 09:37 PM

That's right
I completely agree that the nicknames that people shouted have no place on a tennis court -or anywhere else for that matter-, whether it's a french person or not who shouts it. :devil:
You should not generalize to all french tennis fans. You just need a couple of stupid guys to create a mess and give that impression. And 'im sure that happens in a lot of places in the world...

decemberlove
May 31st, 2004, 09:37 PM
You people are so stubborn and you don't even know what you're talking about! Negrita is a loving word! It is! When a spanish person says come here "negrita" for instance, to a young black girl, they mean come here my sweet honey(who happens to be black but who cares) they mean it with the best of intentions :angel: There's no racism intended

AND THIS JOURNO IS AMERICAN SO HE PROBABLY DOESN'T SPEAK ANYTHING BUt ENGLISH, so how can he know it was offensive!? He doesn't even know that negrita is a kind word, and that french don't say it, spanish do :rolleyes:
its obvious the journalist is CLUELESS . dont you find it funny that he didnt know which curse words they were, yet they were french . even thou negrita is a spanish term of endearment . americans hear anything with "neg..." and automatically assume it translates to ****** ive always been taught that negrita means beautiful little black girl

most people on here never listen to journos . why start now?

WorldWar24
May 31st, 2004, 09:39 PM
its obvious the journalist is CLUELESS . dont you find it funny that he didnt know which curse words they were, yet they were french . even thou negrita is a spanish term of endearment . americans hear anything with "neg..." and automatically assume it translates to ****** ive always been taught that negrita means beautiful little black girl

most people on here never listen to journos . why start now?

:bowdown:

DUNEMAN
May 31st, 2004, 09:41 PM

:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: I really din't want to get involved in this :fiery: because I realize that there are those that will never beleive racism exist. I am part latin descent and had to be bi lingual as a child. Negrita, and Negro is a term of endearment and effection, even white skin people are sometimes called that effectionately, but when you add the "EXPLETIVE" it time to :smash: :boxing: :boxing: :armed: Nuff Said, stop making excuses, we all know the deal. :fiery:

FanDeJen
May 31st, 2004, 09:43 PM
u r right those stupid commentators know nothing about other languages...

Stamp Paid
May 31st, 2004, 09:44 PM

This journo is AUSTRALIAN, so get that Americans-dont-give-a-fuck-about-anyone-else-ot-their-culture rhetoric out of here!!

I guess maybe its because I'm an American, but I cannot go up to an attractive young lady, who happends to be black, and say "Hey, pretty little black girl, how are you?" This may be different for different cultures, but I can only talk from my experience.

WorldWar24
May 31st, 2004, 09:46 PM
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: I really din't want to get involved in this :fiery: because I realize that there are those that will never beleive racism exist. I am part latin descent and had to be bi lingual as a child. Negrita, and Negro is a term of endearment and effection, even white skin people are sometimes called that effectionately, but when you add the "EXPLETIVE" it time to :smash: :boxing: :boxing: :armed: Nuff Said, stop making excuses, we all know the deal. :fiery:

I don't need to make excuses! I was just trying to prevent a lava storm coz it was uncalled! :confused: The JOURNO DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE what the people said, he just heard "negrita" and assumed they were talking shit :rolleyes: that's not even french :retard:

If you want to believe it's all hatred and racism, fine. But I don't see how come that will help Serena or yourself,or anyone in the future, if people actually want racism to be a thing of the past

WorldWar24
May 31st, 2004, 09:52 PM
This journo is AUSTRALIAN, so get that Americans-dont-give-a-fuck-about-anyone-else-ot-their-culture rhetoric out of here!!

Don't put words in my mouth, I never said that :angel: Anyway, what's the difference between being Australian or American here...:confused:

END OF DISCUSSION FOR ME HERE - "the world is an awful place full of racists blah blahh YOU WIN"
and don't wait for replies coz you're going straight to ignore list

DUNEMAN
May 31st, 2004, 09:53 PM
I don't need to make excuses! I was just trying to prevent a lava storm coz it was uncalled! :confused: The JOURNO DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE what the people said, he just heard "negrita" and assumed they were talking shit :rolleyes: that's not even french :retard:

If you want to believe it's all hatred and racism, fine. But I don't see how come that will help Serena or yourself,or anyone in the future, if people actually want racism to be a thing of the past

What is gained by keeping people ignorant to the realities of this world?Other than to have the ones that lead protected lives, come in here and talk about something they never experienced. Remember a wise man (Richard) saw all of this coming and prepared his girls for it, and even though prepared it is still hurtful, how do we protect their feelings? and why should we have to? Thank you for trying, but education is whats needed here, that is the antidote to ignorance, right? :tape:

decemberlove
May 31st, 2004, 10:04 PM

I guess maybe its because I'm an American, but I cannot go up to an attractive young lady, who happends to be black, and say "Hey, pretty little black girl, how are you?" This may be different for different cultures, but I can only talk from my experience.

the american culture is very closed and aloof compared to other cultures . you have to remember that A LOT gets lost in translation .

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 10:08 PM
Really would love to know what the words were. negrita perse isn´t a offensive word. But if something bad was said....where is the world going?!

Stamp Paid
May 31st, 2004, 10:12 PM
Its obvious the journalist is CLUELESS . dont you find it funny that he didnt know which curse words they were, yet they were french.
What, did you expect the journalist to say:

"While being showered with taunts of nerita bitch and negrita whore, Serena Williams was steadfast in her resolve, and easily dispatching Shinobu Asagoe."

Of cousrse not! Why, in a newspaper article, would he explicitly express what expletives they used? C'mon, be reasonable.

*JR*
May 31st, 2004, 10:17 PM

I'm Thrilled That someone else has finally posted here about Josephine. :) Keep in mind though: she lived in France B4 the wave of immigration of the last (quarter century or so?) when the current ethnic tension didn't yet exist.

G_Slammed
May 31st, 2004, 10:22 PM
Hopefully Serena Williams comes out focused tomorrow.

The Frenchies and their allies will be there sheeted up with their brand of "support" for Capriati.

decemberlove
May 31st, 2004, 10:29 PM
What, did you expect the journalist to say:

"While being showered with taunts of nerita bitch and negrita whore, Serena Williams was steadfast in her resolve, and easily dispatching Shinobu Asagoe."

Of cousrse not! Why, in a newspaper article, would he explicitly express what expletives they used? C'mon, be reasonable.
one . there was no showering of taunts . stop the melodrama, please

two . i want the actual french words . i dont want to hear the english translation . just likehe didnt give usthe english translation of negrita . thou id be interested in reading what he thinks negrita means :rolleyes:

my point? on these boards, there are articles constantly ripping apart journalists for their inconsistencies in writing and tennis knowledge, but when suddenly a journalist writes an article that proves a person's point . they are not to be questioned . why is that?

Jericho
May 31st, 2004, 10:35 PM
Anyway, what's the difference between being Australian or American here...:confused:Enough said :rolleyes:

Side note: Serena is obviously a big target being a flashy powerful non-underdog outspoken black American. The French crowd is the rudest crowd anyways according to other players and from what we all can see and hear.

Stamp Paid
May 31st, 2004, 10:37 PM
one . there was no showering of taunts . stop the melodrama, please

two . i want the actual french words . i dont want to hear the english translation . just likehe didnt give usthe english translation of negrita . thou id be interested in reading what he thinks negrita means :rolleyes:

my point? on these boards, there are articles constantly ripping apart journalists for their inconsistencies in writing and tennis knowledge, but when suddenly a journalist writes an article that proves a person's point . they are not to be questioned . why is that?
OK, I understand that when a journalist is obviously wrong or makes a blatant error, yes he/she should be called on it. However, when criticism of the actual article is mostly speculation, then your criticism isn't really valid.

If an article is posted about something Serena did/said, I am not going to attack the journalist immediately because he/she said something disparaging about my fav. However, if I can actually attack the credibility of the journalist w/o speculation (i.e. The words that were used probably weren't vulgar. What exact words were used? He's probably American. He doesn't know French, etc.), I will. You are offering mostly speculation in your criticism.

*JR*
May 31st, 2004, 10:39 PM
If true, lets see if the FFT blows it from a public relations standpoint (as in not even a belated little speech on the PA system by in this Case Christian Bimes, Pres. of the FFT). Or will he take a page from the Indian Wells playbook?

DelMonte
May 31st, 2004, 10:42 PM
oh my god, i give up. when people are aruing that negrita is a term of endearment despite the fact that it was preceded by an expletive (a swearword), there's nothing more to be said (at least not on my part). it's clear that our terms of reference are completely different.

DUNEMAN
May 31st, 2004, 10:46 PM
If true, lets see if the FFT blows it from a public relations standpoint (as in not even a belated little speech on the PA system by in this Case Christian Bimes, Pres. of the FFT). Or will he take a page from the Indian Wells playbook?

And stain the red dirt, I think the latter

spokenword73
May 31st, 2004, 11:03 PM
term of endearment? :fiery: please. Serena is not Spanish or French so why would they use that particular phrase? It would be like calling her a "fu---in' sweetheart:fiery: tacky, classeless, racist. Period.

BTW, it must be just tennis (everywhere) where people think it is okay to use racist terms. Try that at an NBA game and see what happens.:)

vettipooh
May 31st, 2004, 11:21 PM
Let's face it.Some people live in a bubble.They will never accept the blatant reality, that racism exist, especially in the world of sports,namely tennis. The "tennis courts "have not changed that much, since the days of Althea Gibson.She attested to so much racism by players,officials,and the general crowd while on tour,that it's downright sickening.There will always be a selected few who don't like Vee and Serena for NO OTHER REASON THAN THE FACT THAT THEY ARE BLACK.Plain and simple.All that other stuff,about them being arrogant,and so and so,are just excuses to hide behind the racism.Had Richard been in that crowd and heard the same thing,he would have been labelled "paranoid," and "out of his mind".Just like he heard it at IW, someone heard it at FO.It's there!!!Whether some choose to believe it or not.The great part about all this is,it does not define who Venus and Serena are.....They are the only ones who define themselves.....and those who don't like it can kiss their natural black a**........and;)

dreamgoddess099
May 31st, 2004, 11:48 PM
I'm Thrilled That someone else has finally posted here about Josephine.
Well now that you've mentioned Josephine Baker. How about the story of the treatment of another black women in Paris named Sara Baartman aka. The Hottentot Venus.

http://www.racesci.org/in_media/hottentot_venus.htm

dreamgoddess099
May 31st, 2004, 11:52 PM
Let's face it.Some people live in a bubble.They will never accept the blatant reality, that racism exist, especially in the world of sports,namely tennis. The "tennis courts "have not changed that much, since the days of Althea Gibson.She attested to so much racism by players,officials,and the general crowd while on tour,that it's downright sickening.There will always be a selected few who don't like Vee and Serena for NO OTHER REASON THAN THE FACT THAT THEY ARE BLACK.Plain and simple.All that other stuff,about them being arrogant,and so and so,are just excuses to hide behind the racism.Had Richard been in that crowd and heard the same thing,he would have been labelled "paranoid," and "out of his mind".Just like he heard it at IW, someone heard it at FO.It's there!!!Whether some choose to believe it or not.The great part about all this is,it does not define who Venus and Serena are.....They are the only ones who define themselves.....and those who don't like it can kiss their natural black a**........and;)Well you know what they say; ignorance is bliss.

SelesFan70
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:02 AM
Like liberals here in the US, the French try to come across as being "open-minded" when the reality is that they are the most close-minded people if you disagree with them. :rolleyes:

Sam L
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:16 AM

Not saying the reporter is lying or anything but I've never heard a Frenchie say "negrita" before....And does he understand enough French to know that it were really expletives?
This article is all bullshit. :lol:

DelMonte
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:37 AM

I don't know what you mean. The article was written and published a day after the Serena/Asagoe. Australia is in the Southern hemisphere and about a day ahead (in relation to the UK). It was June the 1st over there yesterday. Is that what you meant?

Stamp Paid
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:43 AM
I don't know what you mean. The article was written and published a day after the Serena/Asagoe. Australia is in the Southern hemisphere and about a day ahead (in relation to the UK). It was June the 1st over there yesterday. Is that what you meant?
No, they didn't look far enough to see that the article was written in an Australian newspaper.

Sam L
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:48 AM
Actually I'm in Australia and it's only June 1st NOW. I just started at work like an hour ago. :confused: :lol:

Sam L
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:50 AM
omg.. the herald sun? that paper is little better than a tabloid. :lol:

Jarrett
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:50 AM
I know who yelled it. It was obivously Kristin Davis. :b She looked beauitful as always. :worship:

DelMonte
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:54 AM
Actually I'm in Australia and it's only June 1st NOW. I just started at work like an hour ago. :confused: :lol:

Yes, it's about 9am or 10am in the morning on the 1st of June, right. (I lived in Australia for 10 years, so I should know). I posted this article a couple of hours ago. What time do you reckon newspapers are printed in order to be on sale as early as 6am?

I am sure you are aware that June 1 started at 12:01am, more than 9/10 hours ago.

Sam L
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:56 AM
Yes, it's about 9am or 10am in the morning on the 1st of June, right. (I lived in Australia for 10 years, so I should know). I posted this article a couple of hours ago. What time do you reckon newspapers are printed in order to be on sale as early as 6am?

I am sure you are aware that June 1 started at 12:01am, more than 9/10 hours ago.
You don't need to live in Australia to know the time or date there. You said that this was printed yesterday or whatever.

Anyway, the point remains that Herald Sun is just a step above tabloids. :lol: I don't buy this at all.

venus_envy
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:03 AM
What people fail to realize is that words and gestures mean different things in other cultures. Now people have already said that the word negrita is a term of endearment over there. I find it hard to believe that they would use an affectionate term in their curse if they were in fact trying to curse her. When was the last time you heard somebody yell "F**king Sweetheart"?

Somebody earlier in the thread said something like they knew that black have been called the n-word here the states. But I say in response to that they probably don't even consider american culture in their everyday life.

Think about it. How many times when you make the peace sign over here in the states do you consider that in some cultures that same exact sign is a curse?

That author's article looks very shaky and to me it doesn't sound like he really knew what he was talking about. It sounds to me like he was trying to get a sensational headline and heard the word negrita and wrote an article.

And before you accuse me of being somebody that doesn't know that racism exists in the world, let me tell you that I am African American and proud. It just seems that some people on this board tend to look for opportunities to accuse anti-Williams sentiment as racist. Let me in on a little secret...not all black people like Serena Williams, and its my opinion that although there may be a few people that don't like her do to her skin color it is my opinion that most non-fans probably have non-racist reasons for not liking her.

It just seems that on this board as soon as you say you don't like a Williams sister, a million people automatically come out and call you a racist.

DelMonte
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:04 AM
You don't need to live in Australia to know the time or date there. You said that this was printed yesterday or whatever.

Anyway, the point remains that Herald Sun is just a step above tabloids. :lol: I don't buy this at all.

Please don't misquote me, I said Australia is a day ahead of the UK and that yesterday (for me, as it after midnight here in the UK) when the article was published it was already June 1st for Australia.

If the Herald Sun is a tabloid and not to be believed, does that only apply to the the 'negrita' comments or the rest of the article? Have you identified other inaccuracies in the article? Also, what sort of corroboration would you require in order to believe that the journalists truly heard what he claimed to have heard?

Josh
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:09 AM
Please don't misquote me, I said Australia is a day ahead of the UK and that yesterday (for me, as it after midnight here in the UK) when the article was published it was already June 1st for Australia.

If the Herald Sun is a tabloid and not to be believed, does that only apply to the the 'negrita' comments or the rest of the article? Have you identified other inaccuracies in the articles? Also, what sort of corroboration would you require in order to believe that the journalists truly heard what he claimed to have heard?

The thing is, he said he heard some French expletives but he doesn't mention which ones. He does mention the word "negrita" but that's not French, nor is it a swearword. So he's pretty vague about the whole incident. Doesn't mean that what he writes is not true, just very much open for interpretation.

Sam L
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:14 AM

If the Herald Sun is a tabloid and not to be believed, does that only apply to the the 'negrita' comments or the rest of the article? Have you identified other inaccuracies in the article? Also, what sort of corroboration would you require in order to believe that the journalists truly heard what he claimed to have heard?
Some of it may be correct, but they tend to sensationalise most news. I suspect the same here.

DelMonte
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:15 AM
That author's article looks very shaky and to me it doesn't sound like he really knew what he was talking about. It sounds to me like he was trying to get a sensational headline and heard the word negrita and wrote an article.

How is the author trying to be sensationalist?? The title of the article is 'French forget sister sledge', suggesting that the French are cheering on Serena this year despite what happened last year. A sensationalist title would have read something like "Sere called a *** negrita at the FO" or "Racism at the FO" etc.

Far from highlighting the 'negrita' comment, the author only writes only two lines about it and in the next sentence immediately states how people clapped for Serena after the match finished. If anything, the author tries to make it very clear that he thinks this was an isolated incidence involving a couple of idiots.

How does that amount to blowing things out of proportion and sensationalising? :confused:

DelMonte
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:20 AM
Some of it may be correct, but they tend to sensationalise most news. I suspect the same here.

So some of it may be correct, but some of it is probably sensationalist, right? If that is the case, why do you believe that it's the expletive-negrita part that is sensationalised? Do you really find it inconceivable that some people would want to yell that out while Serena is playing?

SerialKiller#69
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:26 AM
Is Negrita a French word?

And so what if a couple of idiots yelled it. Does that offset that majority of the players who were respectful of Serena all throughout the match?

Geri
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:29 AM
Is Negrita a French word?

And so what if a couple of idiots yelled it. Does that offset that majority of the players who were respectful of Serena all throughout the match?

It sounds more Spanish doesnt it?? Doesn't sound French :confused:

CC
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:23 AM
Watching her overwhelm the outgunned Japanese Shinobu Asagoe on that same centre court, I heard a couple of yells of "negrita" with a French expletive or two in front.

He never said 'negrita' was french. He said he heard "negrita" along with french expletive.

And, I wouldn't say it was sensationalist in the least. It's like, one line in the whole article. He could have made more of it if he wanted to grab readers. We are so eager to dismiss things when they make us uncomfortable.

Greenout
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:40 AM

They like non French Asians even less than non French Blacks.
I'm sure there were alot of rude remarks thrown at Shinobu; but
Japanese journalists aren't looking for excuses nor focus on things
like that. They don't want to make a political statement out of
what could be 3 drunk idiots out of an entire arena of spectators.

The French are not exactly racist. Being French is a state of being,
thinking, using the language. Skin colour isn't that much of
an issue. It's the whole culture, attitude etc... that makes a
person non-French. If you look at France, they've opened up
their country and integrated alot of people from loads of
other countries. Take for example of their national sports heroes
Zinadine Zidane, he's Algerian; but has integrated and become
French.

DeDe4925
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:09 AM
Negrita means black female. The Spanish language uses another word to describe black people in a negative way and is used in much the same way as the word ******.

But, they were probably calling her a black bitch. Which is negative, not Negro bitch.

DeDe4925
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:11 AM
You're such an idiot. Are you related to cheesestix?

DeDe4925
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:12 AM
****** smigger, grow up people and quit looking for excuses to hate :rolleyes::angel:
What the hell are you talking about?

DeDe4925
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:22 AM

Turning a blind eye to it definitely won't make it go away. :rolleyes:

DeDe4925
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:27 AM
Let's face it.Some people live in a bubble.They will never accept the blatant reality, that racism exist, especially in the world of sports,namely tennis. The "tennis courts "have not changed that much, since the days of Althea Gibson.She attested to so much racism by players,officials,and the general crowd while on tour,that it's downright sickening.There will always be a selected few who don't like Vee and Serena for NO OTHER REASON THAN THE FACT THAT THEY ARE BLACK.Plain and simple.All that other stuff,about them being arrogant,and so and so,are just excuses to hide behind the racism.Had Richard been in that crowd and heard the same thing,he would have been labelled "paranoid," and "out of his mind".Just like he heard it at IW, someone heard it at FO.It's there!!!Whether some choose to believe it or not.The great part about all this is,it does not define who Venus and Serena are.....They are the only ones who define themselves.....and those who don't like it can kiss their natural black a**........and;)
:worship: :worship: :worship:

DeDe4925
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:32 AM
What people fail to realize is that words and gestures mean different things in other cultures. Now people have already said that the word negrita is a term of endearment over there. I find it hard to believe that they would use an affectionate term in their curse if they were in fact trying to curse her. When was the last time you heard somebody yell "F**king Sweetheart"?

Somebody earlier in the thread said something like they knew that black have been called the n-word here the states. But I say in response to that they probably don't even consider american culture in their everyday life.

Think about it. How many times when you make the peace sign over here in the states do you consider that in some cultures that same exact sign is a curse?

And before you accuse me of being somebody that doesn't know that racism exists in the world, let me tell you that I am African American and proud. It just seems that some people on this board tend to look for opportunities to accuse anti-Williams sentiment as racist. Let me in on a little secret...not all black people like Serena Williams, and its my opinion that although there may be a few people that don't like her do to her skin color it is my opinion that most non-fans probably have non-racist reasons for not liking her.

It just seems that on this board as soon as you say you don't like a Williams sister, a million people automatically come out and call you a racist.
Oh puhleeze :rolleyes: . This post was mighty white of you. Or should I say, mighty anti-Serena :p

Kart
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:42 AM
Stubborn idiots still carry a grudge against her for an episode that was none of her doing a year ago involving Justine Henin-Hardenne in a semi-final.

People can be very cruel. I wonder why the author appears to assume that the jeering is related to the events of last year. The kind of people who would yell things like that probably don't need any excuse.

Still, this is not surprising, people are scum wherever you go in the world. I'm sure that in every crowd everywhere there are a few people who, if they aren't shouting it, are still thinking it - sadly.

Still, no real reason to dwell on it, the good news is that the majority of the crowd cheered her when she won :D.

DelMonte
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:35 AM
They like non French Asians even less than non French Blacks.
I'm sure there were alot of rude remarks thrown at Shinobu; but
Japanese journalists aren't looking for excuses nor focus on things
like that. They don't want to make a political statement out of
what could be 3 drunk idiots out of an entire arena of spectators.

The French are not exactly racist. Being French is a state of being,
thinking, using the language. Skin colour isn't that much of
an issue. It's the whole culture, attitude etc... that makes a
person non-French. If you look at France, they've opened up
their country and integrated alot of people from loads of
other countries. Take for example of their national sports heroes
Zinadine Zidane, he's Algerian; but has integrated and become
French.

I really don't get your response, Greenout. If the Australian journalist really heard what he heard, does is really make a difference if they had been 'rude' comments about Shinobu as well? Do 'rude' or racist comments somehow cancel each other out? Also, when racism takes place in sports, are we to keep quiet about it and not make a big deal about because the mere reporting it means we are trying to make an excuse? An excuse for whom or what exactly?

I assure you, if the article had reported racist comments towards Shinobu, I would have posted it as well because I think that sort of thing has no place in tennis-- regardless against whom it is directed. If the Japanese media had not picked up on the story, I would have seen it as a significant failure on their part to report on something that is important.

Also, I don't see how the journalist who wrote the article made a political statement-- he wrote TWO LINES about what he heard-- TWO lines out of a long article and he didn't even mention the negrita comments in the title, which is what he could have done if he truly wanted to make a political statement.

Finally, you cite Zidane as an example that the French are not racist. I never said they were but do you really believe that whether a society is racist or can be definitively determined by looking at how that society treats one or more celebrities? (if that is the case, race relations in the US must be dandy!) Is is not more telling to look at other indicators (say socio-economic, education etc)? Do you think most Algerians in France feel as accepted and welcome as Zidane does? Also, if you are really interested in Zidane -who happens to be one my favourite footballers- please read his biography and find out what sort of childhood he had in multi-cultural France. It might surprise you.

Once again, I never posted the article to suggest that the whole of France or the whole French crowd is racist; I just wanted to show that obviously there have been some instances of racist comments towards Serena from people in the crowd--- but even that seems too much for a lot of people to swallow. I really don't know what to say anymore....

DelMonte

Buitenzorg
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:45 AM
That is a very bad sportmanships by French people

Serena is a great player....I don't think they have right to comment about her being a black person...that is so pathetic racism comment from the crowd

I can't imagine, what is going to happen to Serena / Venus IF one of them have to play againts Mauresmo in the Final in front of french crowd :o

Greenout
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:47 AM
I'm just saying that an Australian journalist wouldn't be as offended about
racism toward Asians as toward Blacks because it's officially more common
to be PC about that, so he/she wouldn't have been bothered as much. He/she
chose to select the "serena" comment because he/she wanted to site an
example of how unreasonable the French from France are. Racism
is all very wrong; but to say racism isn't a "Political" statement is incorrect.
Racism is political because you select, omit or restrict individuals from
doing what they can do in life to strive ahead. May it be a job promotion,
cutting in line at the supermarket, holding back homeownership loans etc..

I chose to select Zidane because there was a time when he wouldn't even
be allowed on the French national team, and people wouldn't have cared
if he was a football hero or not. He would've simply been ignored or
chose to hide the fact of his Algerian background.

I know you didn't select this article to label France racists; but it's just
unfortunately untimely with the sentiments and worries of alot of
American tennis fans in seeing how former RG title holding champions
have not been embraced as much as a Guga or Mary Pierce.

Peace.

Tryphon
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:53 AM
They like non French Asians even less than non French Blacks.:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:
This is the first time I hear about French racism against Japanese or for that matter Asians.

Racism in France is mainly against Arabs :fiery: . Blacks would be second I guess :mad: even though racism against blacks is probably not anymore what it used to be.
Besides I'm talking here about racism against people of foreign origin living in France but as for international athletes visiting France, who cares.:tape:

And I've got to say it again: nobody French does even know the word negrita. :rolleyes:

Yasmine
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:19 PM
:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:
Racism in France is mainly against Arabs :fiery: . Blacks would be second I guess :mad: even though racism against blacks is probably not anymore what it used to be.

That is absolutely true. Believe me being french with moroccan origins, I know what we're talking about here...

:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:
And I've got to say it again: nobody French does even know the word negrita. :rolleyes:
That is also right. It is a spanish word and never heard anyone around me using it in France.

vutt
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:22 PM
I just wanted to show that obviously there have been some instances of racist comments towards Serena from people in the crowd--- but even that seems too much for a lot of people to swallow. I really don't know what to say anymore....
Do you really think it was worth to start this thread because of 3 idiots did say that? I'm pretty sure you can easily find 3 people saying similar words from every single western city on weekly basis.
So are you happier now?

cheesestix
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:24 PM

He never said 'negrita' was french. He said he heard "negrita" along with french expletive.

And, I wouldn't say it was sensationalist in the least. It's like, one line in the whole article. He could have made more of it if he wanted to grab readers. We are so eager to dismiss things when they make us uncomfortable.

Why would they mix French and Spanish???????? Who does that??????

If the people yelling it were French, why wouldn't they yell out totally French phrases?

And if they were Spanish, why wouldn't they yell out totally Spanish phrases????

Doesn't make sense!

cheesestix
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:26 PM
Turning a blind eye to it definitely won't make it go away. :rolleyes:

Neither will being oversensitive about it and blaming everything that doesn't go your way on it! :rolleyes:

DelMonte
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:27 PM
Do you really think it was worth to start this thread because of 3 idiots did say that? I'm pretty sure you can easily find 3 people saying similar words from every single western city on weekly basis.
So are you happier now?

When would it be appropriate to post an article about racist comments against a tennis player? When 10 people make similar comments, or maybe 15, or perhaps 30?? What's the threshold according to you?

[I believe that 8 US soldiers have been charged with acts of torture against Irqui detainees? 8 out of many thousands. Is it wrong to talk about them as well because they only represent 8 idiots (you know, 'a few bad apples') out of many thousands and because acts of torture occur daily in other parts of the world?]

venus_envy
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:29 PM
Oh puhleeze :rolleyes: . This post was mighty white of you. Or should I say, mighty anti-Serena :p

And by making that statement, you have proven my point. Some people on this board act like any anti-Serena sentiment automatically means racism. Not liking Serena doesn't equal being racist. A lot of black people don't like Serena either. Its just a matter of personal preference. Why does every negative statement against Serena have to be boiled down to racism? Like I said before I am sure that there are some people that don't like due to her skin color (there are always going to be a few fools in the bunch), but to say that everybody that doesn't like them are racist is just wrong.

cheesestix
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:29 PM
But, they were probably calling her a black bitch. Which is negative, not Negro bitch.

"probably"???

You don't know what the fuck happened. You're only speculating and making assumptions. So why do you always assume the worst scenario??? Need something to complain about? :rolleyes:

cheesestix
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:33 PM

Translation:

"anti-Serena = white = racist"

(and she's gonna sit there an deny it the other day :rolleyes: )

cheesestix
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:33 PM
And by making that statement, you have proven my point. Some people on this board act like any anti-Serena sentiment automatically means racism. Not liking Serena doesn't equal being racist. A lot of black people don't like Serena either. Its just a matter of personal preference. Why does every negative statement against Serena have to be boiled down to racism? Like I said before I am sure that there are some people that don't like due to her skin color (there are always going to be a few fools in the bunch), but to say that everybody that doesn't like them are racist is just wrong.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stamp Paid
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:33 PM

If the people yelling it were French, why wouldn't they yell out totally French phrases?

And if they were Spanish, why wouldn't they yell out totally Spanish phrases????

Doesn't make sense!
Chessestix, why are you fighting so hard to prove that that there was no racism involved?:sad:

"Sluggy"
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:47 PM
Isn't Negrita a Spanish word? Didn't know it was used in French also. In any case it wouldn't surprise me if there were some Spanish speakers from certain countries in the crowd that yelled racial things.

Selesefan1 - Yes it is not a French word. who is this journalist. Negrita means absolutely nothing in French. Maybe these people were not french who said Negrita. I have confirmed with coworkers that Negrita doesnt mean anything in French. It is actually a brand name for a brand of Rum. that is all. where is the racial slur. Who writes these reports anyway?

I heard from friend that the crowd was whistling at Arantha in her mixed doubles match, that she didnt play well and the crowd whistles. She is not of African origin either. The french crowd is just roudy.......and roudy with everyone...

"Sluggy"
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:49 PM
Once Again, i should have read all the responses. Josh is right about the word Negrita not being a french word - his french is better than mine anyway. I am so sick of this bullshit though. the french crowd is roudy man, get over it.

"Sluggy"
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:01 PM
I find it so funny how many people talk as if they are experts on French racial attitudes and many have probably never ever been to France. Please, I hope someone who actually knows something about the issue would speak up.

As far as I can tell and ive lived 3 years of my life in France and about 29 years in New York, People of African and other origins have far greater opportunities and better racial climate in the United States. In terms of job opportunities, representation in politics ,etc etc, African peoples and women do far better in the States. I have spoken to tons of people about it and they all seem to agree. So for people to say that the French are less racist than Americans........doesnt seem right. And again, I am not an authority on this though i have lived extensively in both countries and was a sociology major in college, and i might add I speak both languages perfectly fluently.

Again, i find the comment so strange coming from this journalist. what is the racial slur, it is not even in the French language as Josh points out. what is the deal?

Greenout
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:03 PM
I'm sorry if I came off like I'm an expect. This wasn't my intention; but
I've worked with people who were from Vietnam and their family spilit
up some went the USA, other to France. And I was told that it was very
difficult for alot of Vietnamese to adapt themselves in France in the
early years.

CC
Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:50 AM

Doesn't make sense!
Hey, I was only helping out with the reading comprehension. As for slangs and idiosyncrasies when it comes to language(s), I couldn't provide an explanation for you.

This topic makes people very defensive I see.

raquel
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:08 AM
I heard from friend that the crowd was whistling at Arantha in her mixed doubles match, that she didnt play well and the crowd whistles. She is not of African origin either. The french crowd is just roudy.......and roudy with everyone...

Wow. After all these years they are still whistling Arantxa :rolleyes: They sure know how hold a grudge at Roland Garros.

Arantxa really got them riled up sometimes. I thought after her 1998 speech in French they had gotten over it after the great cheers she got but I am sure Arantxa will cope. Like Hingis in 1999, Arantxa ended up in tears after the 1996 final mainly due to the crowd not liking the way she won her QF vs. Habsudova and they kept it up during the final with Steffi.

I hope Serena comes back and wins RG again just like Arantxa did in 1998 just to annoy them and show them that nothing is going to stop her winning. :)