PDA

View Full Version : Cappy vs Serena

SerenaSlam
May 31st, 2004, 02:09 PM
I honestly think Serena is gonna come out on top in straight sets. Why? Like Pam said, about the only time in a while i've heard her make any sense, but Serena doesn't like to and rarely does lose to anyone two times in a row. But also although Jennifer got the win, her "confidence" level against a Serena Williams ON her game to me is still very low. What do I mean? Here is Jennifers comment she made about the matchup.

"I prefer to play someone like Serena, rather than playing a real clay-courter on clay," Capriati said. "I feel if I can keep the balls in play, I should have the edge a little bit. Maybe she'll come up with the errors. The same thing that happened in Rome."
She is relying on Serena's game more so than she is relying on her own. I think this match is totally up to Serena, and when put in this situation before, and most recently the same round last year and same situation, serena jumped on it and handed Amelie a beat down. People say Amelie didn't show up, but in fact Serena showed up and showed out, not allowing Amelie to even get her foot, racquet, nose or anything else in the door. Its gonna be tough for Jennifer. I think Confidence wise, its there and pretty high for her, but I think that Confidence level of hers relies on the level of play Serena comes out with. If serena comes out on her game, Jen won't be to keen to stay positive, but if the situation is like Rome, just like Jennifer said she should have an edge, and if she doesn't then jen isn't playing to well either.

Serena in two :)

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 02:13 PM
But that was the old Serena....this Serena isn´t at that level yet. Although Serena just has the knack to raise her game when the stakes are the highest...

!<blocparty>!
May 31st, 2004, 02:16 PM
oh, god, there have been so many threads like this, about this match, but anyway, its almost definately going to be a three set match, and cappy has to rely on Serena making errors here and there, and she is gonna have to take advantage of them.

SerenaSlam
May 31st, 2004, 02:47 PM
oh, god, there have been so many threads like this, about this match, but anyway, its almost definately going to be a three set match, and cappy has to rely on Serena making errors here and there, and she is gonna have to take advantage of them.
didn't notice all of the threads :eek:

magassi
May 31st, 2004, 02:54 PM
If I had a dollar bill for everytime a Serena fan said that her match against Jenn would be a straight set win for her, I'd be a very rich man.

SerenaSlam
May 31st, 2004, 02:56 PM
If I had a dollar bill for everytime a Serena fan said that her match against Jenn would be a straight set win for her, I'd be a very rich man.
not to comment on your post but your username. very catchy, like it. never seen you on this board before. hello :wavey:

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 02:56 PM

no one is saying such...in fact most of them think Serena´s gonna lose.

mboyle
May 31st, 2004, 04:36 PM
Capriati 2-6; 7-6; 6-4 Serena will have 6-2; 4-1 and then choke.

foreva lindsay
May 31st, 2004, 04:37 PM
oooh serena choking i like it :D

gooooooo jen!!!

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 04:39 PM
Wow....interesting, how Serena is the popular player to pick against...even now that she´s just returning?!

6.45PM
May 31st, 2004, 04:41 PM
all the best to you superjenny!:D my bionic woman :p

Kart
May 31st, 2004, 04:42 PM
I also think Serena will win this in two - if she comes out firing. Otherwise it will be the usual three set story.

JenCap will fight every point so it will be a very close match.

bigshow21
May 31st, 2004, 04:43 PM
it will definately be a tough and close match. It could go either way for both players. Hopefully Jen will come out on top!!!!! Good luck!!!

RedFilaJ-Cap#1
May 31st, 2004, 05:02 PM
I think that this match is going to be a great one to watch. I think it will be close but Jen will pull it out!!!

EviLjuan
May 31st, 2004, 05:39 PM
No doubt, this match has the potential to be one of the tournament's very best.

Serena would have trouble with *any* player with the ability to get back a lot of balls - not just sporadically, but consistently throughout the match. Serena is ultra-agressive on pretty much every point, so we may see her getting a bit impatient and thus erratic if Jen can keep the rallies long. It's a legitimate strategy!

Who do you think the crowd will be behind? This could be a factor too! My guess is that they'll be behind Jennifer, as I guess she is seen as the underdog from a head-to-head perspective.

Overall, I think it will depend on Serena - she'll either come out firing missing, or firing hitting her targets. Jen will ajust her game accordingly!

hollywood7172
May 31st, 2004, 07:30 PM
serenaslam--no offense to you--i know you are a serena fan and you want her to win, and i wish both women the best.

but we all KNOW that this match will be a tough threee setter. thank god for these two--they have brought excitement to tennis in the last 2 years. every one of their matches are classic.

i'm rooting for cappy, but, more importantly, i am rooting for awesome tennis and good sportsmanship. FUCK THE FRENCH AND BRING IT ON GIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go tennis!!!!!!!!!!

jenny161185
May 31st, 2004, 07:38 PM
Jen isn t just hoping Serena makes errors to allow her to win - she also said she's going to try retrieve alot of balls and attack at the same time - she's not putting the match in Serenas hands. And it Won't be 2 sets .

LeonHart
May 31st, 2004, 08:58 PM
I dont see how Jen can lose this match. Serena has been making stupid silly errors all week, and Jen has looked great in all her matches. It would be a serious miracle if Serena pulls this out.

GoGoMaggie
May 31st, 2004, 09:32 PM
I honestly think Serena is gonna come out on top in straight sets. Why? Like Pam said, about the only time in a while i've heard her make any sense, but Serena doesn't like to and rarely does lose to anyone two times in a row. But also although Jennifer got the win, her "confidence" level against a Serena Williams ON her game to me is still very low. What do I mean? Here is Jennifers comment she made about the matchup.

She is relying on Serena's game more so than she is relying on her own. I think this match is totally up to Serena, and when put in this situation before, and most recently the same round last year and same situation, serena jumped on it and handed Amelie a beat down. People say Amelie didn't show up, but in fact Serena showed up and showed out, not allowing Amelie to even get her foot, racquet, nose or anything else in the door. Its gonna be tough for Jennifer. I think Confidence wise, its there and pretty high for her, but I think that Confidence level of hers relies on the level of play Serena comes out with. If serena comes out on her game, Jen won't be to keen to stay positive, but if the situation is like Rome, just like Jennifer said she should have an edge, and if she doesn't then jen isn't playing to well either.

Serena in two :)
Knowing you're a super-obsessive (meaning having no grip of reality), your prediction means less then nothing. When do you realize you have been repeating the same thing more than the times the earth has ever revolved.

magassi
May 31st, 2004, 10:21 PM
I love Pam's prediction... really. I mean she was dead right about the Schiavone match. And I'll say this again, if I had a dollar for everytime a Serena fan proclaimed a straight set win against Jenn...

azinna
May 31st, 2004, 10:24 PM
Rena is not yet in good shape, form-wise (where's ya serve, girl?). Same can be said for Jen, but an off Rena does get nervous and starts giving away points. If Jen can hold steady......

I'm hoping Rena finds a way to raise her level. I want her back in the mix.

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 10:31 PM
I think Serena´s gonna make a match of it....she just has the knack to raise her game when it matters.

flyingmachine
May 31st, 2004, 10:50 PM
I think it will be a tight match. I think Cappy will win because she's on fire at the moment whiles Serena is still not play as good as last year or the year before last. She just produce too many errors. Cappy will punish Serena's errors. However Serena will not die without a fight. So I think 3 sets to Cappy. :)