PDA

View Full Version : Can Maria win the whole thing???

Libertango
May 31st, 2004, 02:21 PM
So can she?? I think Maria Sharapova has just been getting better and better lately, and is yet to drop a set here. First of course she has to get past Paola next which will be tough (I personally think she will, though of coure i want Paola to win!) and then either Amelie or Elena, so maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of myself...still I think she has a great chance :p

WorldWar24
May 31st, 2004, 02:43 PM
In the last 8, it's anyone's tournament :D

But I don't think she has good chances to win

!<blocparty>!
May 31st, 2004, 02:47 PM
hmmm, I don't think she will be able to win the whole thing, even though she looks to be in fantastic form, I think she needs @ least one more year to mature and tweek her game, Im expecting great things from this babe!!!!

Task
May 31st, 2004, 03:16 PM
Doubt it, but you never know. Especially with all the wacky things that have happened at this tournaments so far.

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 03:20 PM
Nope.....not beating Venus, Serena or Jen...beating Paola or Marlene...is a whole different thing than beating a venus or Serena.

-Em-
May 31st, 2004, 03:50 PM
nooooooooooo...
no chances i guess
not this year

SerenaSlam
May 31st, 2004, 03:54 PM
if paola or elena were in the bottom half and got to then finals against Sharapova than yeah she has a chance. but youhave venus serena jennifer and myskina. you will have a top 10 player in the final. odds for Sharapova are extremly low.

SJW
May 31st, 2004, 03:56 PM
Doubt it, but you never know. Especially with all the wacky things that have happened at this tournaments so far.
agreed

GO MASHA :)

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 04:00 PM
if paola or elena were in the bottom half and got to then finals against Sharapova than yeah she has a chance. but youhave venus serena jennifer and myskina. you will have a top 10 player in the final. odds for Sharapova are extremly low.

yep...first time sheīs gonna face someone who has a better serve and hits harder.

WF4EVER
May 31st, 2004, 04:47 PM
In the last 8, it's anyone's tournament :D

But I don't think she has good chances to win
:yeah:

Tennisfan-Mtl
May 31st, 2004, 04:50 PM
Are ya kidding ??? Not yet ;)

Foot_Fault
May 31st, 2004, 04:52 PM
she will get to the Semi's and have a STRONG chance of Beating Amelie if she gets there.

Libertango
May 31st, 2004, 05:20 PM
Lol, seems like I'm the only one who thinks she has any chance....although thinking about it, it will be very tough for her to beat at least Mauresmo and Venus and Serena. Hmm, so intruiged as to how the tournament pans out! :drool: :p

LindsayRocks89
May 31st, 2004, 05:22 PM
i dont think she will be able to get through Venus, Jen, or Serena, i do think she can get through Paola, MoMo, and well she's beaten dementiva a couple times so..........

mboyle
May 31st, 2004, 05:25 PM
She'll be beaten in a close, three set final. BTW, Maria hits harder than Serena, at least from what I saw yesterday on TV.

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 05:25 PM
Maria overpower is Maria winning....so she gotta get opponents she can overpower. Only Paola and maybe Momo classify as such. She ainīt overpowering Serena, Venus nor Jen, thus she ainīt beating them.

henree
May 31st, 2004, 05:28 PM
I can't see Sharapova getting past Momo. Momo is a great neutralizer of power. She has beaten Cap the last two times they played. SHe beat down Henin the last 2 times they have played. No one handles hard hitters better than Momo. Sharapova can't expect to play the fast paced, unpatient game she has been playing lately and get pass seasoned veterans, especially on clay. She just has no patience, and against a good clay court player her power game wont fly. If it rains before her match, she will be terminated.

Mase
May 31st, 2004, 05:28 PM
No.

t_fan
May 31st, 2004, 05:30 PM
Lol, seems like I'm the only one who thinks she has any chance....although thinking about it, it will be very tough for her to beat at least Mauresmo and Venus and Serena. Hmm, so intruiged as to how the tournament pans out! :drool: :p
Actually, you're not alone ;)
Women tennis is women tennis - anything can happen (as in many other sports). Masha has potential to win the tournament, though the probability of this is not so high.

Kart
May 31st, 2004, 05:34 PM
I've not seen Maria play for a while but I don't see her winning here.

In a few years, perhaps.

Jericho
May 31st, 2004, 05:57 PM
Actually she does have a chance, I watched her match against Marlene and man she was smacking that ball around very hard...I wouldn't be surprised if she beat Momo (and get boo'd :tape:)

Volcana
May 31st, 2004, 06:17 PM
She has a better chance than most #18 seeds.

Sharapova is swinging free and easy, like she's feeling no pressure. Which, given her seed, why should she? But inthat mental state, she may be able to beat Paola Suarez by just hitting winners past her.

The three best players left in this tournament are all babying damaged body parts. Amelie's back, Venus' ankle, Serena's knee.

Elena Dementieva's serve is tailor made for Sharapova to break.

There's no foreseeable way she'd beat Capriati, but she probably won't have to. Capriati probably would have to beat both Williams sisters, with the one she's never beaten coming second.

If everyone's health holds up, no, she's not winning. But think about this year. How likely is it that everyone's health holds up?

ninedays
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:52 AM
i think she has a chance :) tennis is after all unpredictable.... sometimes :D

decemberlove
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:54 AM
nope.

Greenout
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:57 AM
Well..it's been such a wacky tournament. Anything can happen now!

GoGoMaggie
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:45 AM
Like I've said countless times, she has never beaten any big name in her short career so far! Beating Zvonareva is something but then Zvo ain't a big name by any means and Amelie, Jen, and Willy sisters are just levels above experience wise, tennis wise.. well in pre much every category, they are far sperior to Sharapova at the moment.

veera
Jun 1st, 2004, 10:39 AM
I really want her to win, but to be honest, she has about the same chances as Lleyton in the men's side.
She ain't gonna win, unfortunately.

Libertango
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:21 PM
Guess Maria answered the question for us! :p

Clearly she isn't ready, today she looked like a bag of nerves, spraying the ball everywhere, whilst Paola played smart, clever consistent tennis, and jsut showed up the poor form Maria was in.

Personally, soooo happy that Paola won, just didn't think it would actually happen!

Good luck Paola in the semis!!! :D