PDA

View Full Version : Pam Shriver's QF picks: Sharapova | Mauresmo | Venus | Serena

tennisIlove09
May 31st, 2004, 06:14 AM
by Pam Shriver

Special to ESPN.com

The barn-burner match of Tuesday's quarterfinals is between two top Americans as No. 2 Serena Williams plays No. 7 Jennifer Capriati.

http://adsatt.espn.starwave.com/ad/sponsors/blank/blank-espn.gif (http://log.go.com/log?srvc=sz&a=1&drop=0&addata=1331:169:141468:65&guid=B823B2E9-EBF0-40F4-B710-DBFA14249102&goto=)
The two met just a couple of weeks ago in Rome, where Capriati got a big boost from her 6-4, 6-4 semifinal victory. Capriati absolutely needed that win. It's too bad she couldn't finish off another top player, Amelie Mauresmo, in the final.

Despite Capriati's increased confidence, Serena likes to get revenge for losses. After Justine Henin-Hardenne beat her in the semifinals of last year's French Open, Serena returned the favor in the semifinals at Wimbledon. Serena rarely loses, but it's more rare for her to lose to the same player twice in a row. So I'm giving the nod to Serena in this match.

After all the injuries on the women's side, this is the quarterfinal matchup should be a barnburner.

Here's a look at what might happen in the other matches.

Paola Suarez (14), Argentina, vs. Maria Sharapova (18), Russia
As long as Sharapova, who turned 17 in April, doesn't get in awe or overly excited about this situation, she should do well. Out of the possible matchups, playing Suarez to get to a semifinal is a great opportunity, although Suarez is a little tougher to beat on clay than other surfaces.

It seems, though, that Sharapova is ready to arrive in the final four. She's growing into the whole scene. Each month, she seems more confident of her place in women's tennis. She's a star on the rise.
Pick: Sharapova

Amelie Mauresmo (3), France, vs. Elena Dementieva (9), Russia
Mauresmo's routine scoreline of 6-2, 6-1 against Maggie Maleeva in the fourth round is impressive. This quarterfinal with Dementieva will be Mauresmo's first sizeable test.

Mauresmo is playing well enough that she should win this match, but she has to do everything well. She can't suddenly hit the wall like she has the past two years at the French Open (losing to Serena 6-1, 6-2 in 2003, and 6-2, 2-6, 6-4 to Suarez in '02).

For the first time, Mauresmo seems to have the mentality -- she's had the skill for years -- that she needs to make herself felt. She might not win the title, but it is her time to make it into the final four.
Pick: Mauresmo

Anastasia Myskina (6), Russia, vs. Venus Williams (4), U.S.
Even after a day off, Myskina likely will still be a little tired on Tuesday for this quarterfinal because of her 8-6 third set on Sunday.

Everything's playing into Venus' hands. She's had a great clay-court season. She's more confident than she's ever been on clay.

Venus will have to serve well, though. She's playing against one of the best returners in this tournament, so she'll feel some pressure on her serve. Otherwise, as long as Venus serves well, she should have an easy day and get through to the semifinals.
Pick: Venus

LindsayRocks89
May 31st, 2004, 06:24 AM
nice analysis pammy

monicain
May 31st, 2004, 06:25 AM
I think, JCap-Serena match aside, the Momo-ElenaD match could go either way too.
I'm only confident with Venus. I think Myskina aint playing that well recently.

Mr_Molik
May 31st, 2004, 07:32 AM
i have to agree with pam, except i think paola might be able to junkball maria to death

cheo23
May 31st, 2004, 07:36 AM
Ya I AGREe..Maria Sharapova might hit alot of Unforced Errors & has a hard time defeatin players that throw nothing but junk balls like Emilie Loit did in defeatin Maria Sharapova at the US OPen last YEAR..We'll SEE!

sartrista7
May 31st, 2004, 07:43 AM
Venus and Serena will almost definitely win.
Paola's the heavy favourite against Masha, but Masha's surprised me so far and does have a chance.
Amélie v Lena could go either way, and is very much dependent on Amélie's nerves.

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 08:27 AM
Plus....Serena just has a knack of raising her game at major tournaments, that I think she´ll be there....remember how easily Justine beat her at Charleston last year?!

Zhao
May 31st, 2004, 09:26 AM
Plus....Serena just has a knack of raising her game at major tournaments, that I think she´ll be there....remember how easily Justine beat her at Charleston last year?!
n Serena still loses???Ya she seldom loses twice to the same player
but definitely Jenn has the capability to do tt

kaki
May 31st, 2004, 09:34 AM
I think Capriati can do it,the only prediction I agree with is the one about Myskina-Venus match,but the other ones are just ???

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 09:42 AM
n Serena still loses???Ya she seldom loses twice to the same player
but definitely Jenn has the capability to do tt

Yeah, she does have the capability.....I hope that Serena realises that too and decides to come to play.

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 09:42 AM
patience, patience, patience Serena...and you should be fine.

magassi
May 31st, 2004, 10:31 AM
All I can say is that I'm glad she picked against Capriati again, because she was sure right about Schiavone ;-)

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 10:39 AM
All I can say is that I'm glad she picked against Capriati again, because she was sure right about Schiavone ;-)

thing is....Serena ain´t no schiavone.

tennisIlove09
May 31st, 2004, 12:01 PM
it's the most interesting match because neither Jennifer nor Serena has been playing great ball in this tournament.

lizchris
May 31st, 2004, 12:20 PM
I agree with Pam's picks also.

The only one that could be a surprise is that Elena could acutally beat Amelie, but I don't see that happening.

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 12:21 PM
it's the most interesting match because neither Jennifer nor Serena has been playing great ball in this tournament.

No?! And who did in your opinion?!

Scotso
May 31st, 2004, 12:22 PM
I agree with Pam except for the Suarez match. I think Paola is smart enough to find a way to defeat Sharapova.

Greenout
May 31st, 2004, 12:36 PM
I think this is more her wish list than a forecast. I'm going with
Paola, the Capster, Venus and Amelie.

GermanBoy
May 31st, 2004, 12:56 PM
Pammie, Pammie, Pammie :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: , you always pick the wrong names:

My prediction is: Paola Suarez vs. Amélie Mauresmo and Venus Williams vs. Jennifer Capriati

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 01:02 PM
Hmm....so nobody gives Serena a chance, but think Maria is gonna cruise through?! Interesting...

GermanBoy
May 31st, 2004, 01:09 PM
Hmm....so nobody gives Serena a chance?! Interesting...It`s not like that! Serena is always tough to beat but I want Jen to win and you all know why... :hearts:

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 01:29 PM
It`s not like that! Serena is always tough to beat but I want Jen to win and you all know why... :hearts:

O.k...

GermanBoy
May 31st, 2004, 01:39 PM
I would have prefered a semifinal between Jen and Serena. A final vs. Serena is always tough for Jen, I think there are other players she can beat in finals, a match vs. Serena and then a final would mean extra pressure. A quarterfinal between the two of them is definately too early in a tournament... :rolleyes: Jen is not allowed to lose "that early"! I don`t want that! :angel:

VS Fan
May 31st, 2004, 01:42 PM
"Serena rarely loses to the same player twice in a row"

When she has, at least since 2000... hmmm... What are their names.

Hmmmm..... Venus, Justine, and JENNIFER.

In spite of Serena's EIGHT match run before losing in Rome, these matches have ALWAYS been close and competetive. I am a Serena fan, BUT Jen certianly has enough game to beat her.

This just MIGHT be the best match of the tourney.

Mariangelina
May 31st, 2004, 01:52 PM
I don't like agreeing with Pam, but I admit I do this time. :o But Suarez might beat Sharapova. We'll just see how that turns out.

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 02:09 PM
"Serena rarely loses to the same player twice in a row"

When she has, at least since 2000... hmmm... What are their names.

Hmmmm..... Venus, Justine, and JENNIFER.

In spite of Serena's EIGHT match run before losing in Rome, these matches have ALWAYS been close and competetive. I am a Serena fan, BUT Jen certianly has enough game to beat her.

This just MIGHT be the best match of the tourney.

A win is a win....it ain´t like Jen whipes the floor with Serena either and neither does Venus...

VS Fan
May 31st, 2004, 02:21 PM
Bandabou:

What is it about "these matches have ALWAYS been close and competetive" that you do not understand??? Even Serena's loss in Rome was close, and Serena had break points to even the second set.

Fact is that NEITHER Serena or Jen have EVER had an easy win playing at least since 2001. These matches have ALWAYS been close.

GermanBoy
May 31st, 2004, 02:40 PM
Fact is that NEITHER Serena or Jen have EVER had an easy win playing at least since 2001. These matches have ALWAYS been close.
IMO, the best the WTA tour has to offer at the moment: Serena vs. Jen!

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 02:44 PM
Bandabou:

What is it about "these matches have ALWAYS been close and competetive" that you do not understand??? Even Serena's loss in Rome was close, and Serena had break points to even the second set.

Just so we were clear...

magassi
May 31st, 2004, 02:51 PM
Jen offers the best rivalry in women's tennis... period. Her matches against most of the top players (Henin, Clijsters, S. Williams, Mauresmo, Seles) are always exciting and they usually go 3 sets. Too bad she's been on the losing of most of these matches. Nonetheless, the tour better hope she stays healthy a while.

WF4EVER
May 31st, 2004, 03:36 PM
I do agree with Pam that Myskina may be tired but what's worse is that she's on court playing doubles right now. If Venus doesn't beat her she'd deserved to be flogged.

I'm having a hard time understanding why these women play so much tennis. It has to be the money; it certainly can't be she's trying to boost her double ranking.

I know that doubles helps your singles game but too much is just too much.

BTW isn't she supposed to be nursing some sort of injury? This is an informed decision?

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 03:59 PM
money, money, money....just blinded by money.

Foot_Fault
May 31st, 2004, 04:00 PM
This whole Myskina/Doubles/Tired bit. These are PROFESSIONAL TENNIS PLAYERS. I know from playing both that doubles is not nearly as tiring as singles. IN dubs, it's more mental and strategic and technical than Physical. This is good practice for Myskina and she'll be ready for Vee tomorrow.

On the other hand....I am so mad Pam Picked VENUS! i Hope that isn't the kiss of death.

WF4EVER
May 31st, 2004, 04:13 PM
Unless there's some undetectable superdrug the Russians are being given, fatigue has to be a factor. I'm not saying Myskina can't win, but look at her matches doubles and singles and tell me if anyone but a superhuman wouldn't be tired.

Marat Safin played how many 5-setters in OZ and when he got to Federer the guy had nothing left! He played two back-to-back over three days in Paris and he could barely move his feet as the match wore on.

It's just ridficulous to think that being an athlete means you're not allowed to be tired. Even the fittest of athletes can suffer from fatigue.

I think Myskina's scheduling is absurd. And it's not the tournaments fault either but maybe she never expected to get thi8s far and thought she would have time to play more doubles.

I hope Venus gives here even more time.

Task
May 31st, 2004, 04:34 PM
Pam made some good picks.

Kart
May 31st, 2004, 04:39 PM
Shriver's comments make sense to me but I don't think any of the matches will be straightforward aside from Serena's match.

Also, Suarez may well beat Sharapova. Ditto about Amelie and Elena - except Amelie has the fortune of playing someone more mentally fragile than her so she's got a good chance.

JennyS
May 31st, 2004, 04:42 PM
I think predicting outcomes is a total waste of time. I've tried to make predictions in the past, but I'm bored of it. Anyone can win tomorrow and I just want to enjoy the matches.

bigshow21
May 31st, 2004, 04:47 PM
Here comes the time for Serena to lose twice in a row to the same person. Go JEN!!!!!!!

Jericho
May 31st, 2004, 04:53 PM
I want Venus to be tested because she needs it if she wins and faces the Serena/Jennifer winner.

VS Fan
May 31st, 2004, 05:03 PM
Hmmm...

Another way of looking at this is that Jennifer RARELY loses to the SAME person NINE times in a row (perhaps never), thus her victory in Rome.

This stat SEEMS to make a Serena victory more likely, but DO NOT bet on it.

Head to Head is 8-5, but ALL matches were very competitive.

I think their H2H on clay is 2-2

Go Serena!

Knizzle
May 31st, 2004, 05:29 PM
A win is a win....it ain´t like Jen whipes the floor with Serena either and neither does Venus...
Venus has wiped the floor with Jen before. 6-4, 6-2 at the US Open and at New Haven she led 6-4, 5-3/5-4 match point before letting Jen back in the match.

jenny161185
May 31st, 2004, 07:45 PM
Myskina one of the best returners in the tourney? I hope Jen wins now just to shut Pam up .

moon
May 31st, 2004, 08:43 PM
I'm not so sure that Rena will get by Capriati...
Also not so sure Momo will beat Dementieva...

My predictions:
Sherapova in 3
Venus in 2 (but it will be close)
Capster in 2 (if it goes to 3, Rena will win)
Dementieva vs. Momo--to close to call!

Bottom line--there will be some good matches tomorrow :)

WF4EVER
May 31st, 2004, 08:51 PM
I've noticed two things:

1) Venus vs Myskina is (if my estimation is correct) the battle between the best and worst clay court records this year. I noted earlier that almost all the players expected to do well here didn't and that Venus was the last one. I hope Venus keeps it going. It would be her 20th win in a row if she pulls it off.

2) Before the FO people on this board have all been wishing and hoping for a rematch between Vee and Jen. Strangely enough now that they're only a match away from each other everyone seems to have forgotten about this. How strange. But I suppose a rematch between Serena and Jen (after Serena's recent loss) is so exciting that no one cares yet. If it materializes this time the threads will boom.

Knizzle
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:21 AM
I've noticed two things:

1) Venus vs Myskina is (if my estimation is correct) the battle between the best and worst clay court records this year. I noted earlier that almost all the players expected to do well here didn't and that Venus was the last one. I hope Venus keeps it going. It would be her 20th win in a row if she pulls it off.

2) Before the FO people on this board have all been wishing and hoping for a rematch between Vee and Jen. Strangely enough now that they're only a match away from each other everyone seems to have forgotten about this. How strange. But I suppose a rematch between Serena and Jen (after Serena's recent loss) is so exciting that no one cares yet. If it materializes this time the threads will boom.
Vee/Jen matches always get foiled and with Serena being Jen's opponent it makes it all that more unlikely that it will happen.

venus_envy
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:47 PM
I guess this proves that Pam doesn't know what she's talking about. She's hasn't got one right yet so far.

Foot_Fault
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:49 PM
well, i hate When she and Wortheim Pick...please leave Venus off your list!

venus_envy
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:50 PM
well, i hate When she and Wortheim Pick...please leave Venus off your list!

Exactly. I think she jinxed Venus! :fiery:

bubble
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:10 PM
:lol:

Pam is jinxing almost all her predicted winners.... :p

jenny161185
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:46 PM
ppor Pma , shes losing her touch!

wongqks
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:48 PM
wow 0-3 so far.

let's see if she can make ir 0-4 :haha:

mboyle
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:07 PM
Pam will end up being 0-4:o . That's what you get for not being daring:devil: .

Williams Rulez
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:25 PM
pam has really amazing powers... :eek:

Andy T
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:30 PM
Pam's pregnancy seems to have screwed up her neurones big time.

SJW
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:30 PM
oopsies, 0-4 basically :o

Pam :rolleyes:

Vincent
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:31 PM
Elena's serving for the match...:o What a miracle!
Pam has good predictions. :yeah:

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:32 PM
Pam's pregnancy seems to have screwed up her neurones big time.
:tape:

You may be right, but I don't think that's really funny.

Mary Joe is preganant too and she predicted Jennifer would win.

bubble
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:19 PM
:lol:

faboozadoo15
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:23 PM
:tape:

You may be right, but I don't think that's really funny.

Mary Joe is preganant too and she predicted Jennifer would win.
she's not as far along, and still 1-3 is pretty bad for a tennis analysis

moby
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:25 PM
pam... please predict that elena is not going to win this.

Stephieva
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:26 PM
pam... :ras:

faboozadoo15
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:29 PM
pam... please predict that elena is not going to win this.
lol!

Kart
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:31 PM
She got zero right. I'm beginnning to believe in this jinx thing.

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:38 PM
she's not as far along, and still 1-3 is pretty bad for a tennis analysis
You can just imagine what the both of them have in store for the SF.

venus_envy
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:00 PM
I'm hoping that Pam predicts that Jennifer will not win her semi-final, and that even if by some miracle she does scrap by into the final, there is no way in the world that Jen will ever win the French Open. :lol: :devil:

Glenn
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:14 PM
LMFAO @ Pam predicting 4 out of 4 wrong! :lol:

WorldWar24
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:34 PM
Go PAM :D

0% accuracy

propi
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:37 PM
All hail the big Jinxer :haha: :lol:

croat123
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:39 PM
i got 2 right... maybe i could be a commentator :devil: (just imagine me having to do one of rodduck's matches :o)

Yasmine
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:41 PM
She got it all wrong today...
So sad for Amélie though!!!

dais
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:42 PM
So much for "expert" opinion.

JEN RULES