PDA

View Full Version : What would the score be if Serena played Coria on clay?

Eurotennisfan
May 31st, 2004, 01:53 AM
I think it would be a close 2 setter going Serena's way. She just has way too much fire-power for the male Hingis to do anything but watch winners go by.

Serena wins 7-6 6-4 in my books

SpikeyAidanm
May 31st, 2004, 01:55 AM
Coria 6-1, 6-0, 6-3

DD
May 31st, 2004, 01:56 AM
are you joking? at best baby sis will only win a game. coria is a magician on the courts

Leo_DFP
May 31st, 2004, 01:59 AM
Coria 6-1, 6-0, 6-3You're being too kind. Serena wouldn't win a game.

Eddie
May 31st, 2004, 01:59 AM
I think it would be a close 2 setter going Serena's way. She just has way too much fire-power for the male Hingis to do anything but watch winners go by.

WTF
:lol: she'd be lucky to win a game.

Clumsythief
May 31st, 2004, 02:00 AM
6-2, 6-1, 6-0 Coria!

thelittlestelf
May 31st, 2004, 02:04 AM
Ahm, Serena may be able to overpower the WTA tour, but the ATP reigning king of clay would spank her around the court.

K-Dog
May 31st, 2004, 02:05 AM
Eurotennisfan, who need to understand that having a lot of power in women's tennis doesn't mean a damn thing in the men's. Most male players can't beat Coria anyway, so why would Serena. In the pros, most women couldn't even sniff a game from a male pro. Coria would probably outhit Serena in that match anyway.

WhatTheDeuce
You people are really hilarious.

Coria 6-1, 6-0, 6-0.

Havok
Serena wouldn't win a game. Coria would be able to run down every shot Serena hits, and he won't just hit it back, he'll put work on the ball and Serena will make the error. Serena will be lucky to win about 2 games

SpikeyAidanm
May 31st, 2004, 02:07 AM
Serena prefers players who hit flat.

She probably could dismiss players like Youzhny and Mamit.

WhatTheDeuce
May 31st, 2004, 02:07 AM

Sigh.

thelittlestelf
May 31st, 2004, 02:08 AM
But I remember back in the day when Billie Jean King outhit that other dude in a challenger match. She totally left people speechless.

moby
serena has no chance on clay
maybe on grass, she'll take a couple of games off him

WhatTheDeuce
But I remember back in the day when Billie Jean King outhit that other dude in a challenger match. She totally left people speechless.
Wouldn't happen in today's game.

Some of you have incredibly poor judgment, no offense. :lol:

Knizzle
May 31st, 2004, 02:10 AM
Hingis should be able to outsmart him.

Elvira
May 31st, 2004, 02:13 AM
Serena would win a game, maybe two if lucky. I know, it's hard to think that the male players could play so much better, but they do. That's just how it is.

dreamgoddess099
May 31st, 2004, 02:18 AM
Well whether Serena would win or not, I think it's an insult to credit a player (male or female) with the ability to beat another player until they've actually done it. Serena plays on the WTA and Coria plays on the ATP, so until they play and one beats the other, no one can claim for sure that anybody would without a doubt beat someone else. Nothing is a scientific fact. You never know what could happen in a match. Billie did beat Bobby. He may have been a older man, but he was still a man. According to some, he should have been able to beat her just because he was a man and was stronger.

WhatTheDeuce
May 31st, 2004, 02:27 AM
Well whether Serena would win or not, I think it's an insult to credit a player (male or female) with the ability to beat another player until they've actually done it. Serena plays on the WTA and Coria plays on the ATP, so until they play and one beats the other, no one can claim for sure that anybody would without a doubt beat someone else. Nothing is a scientific fact. You never know what could happen in a match. Billie did beat Bobby. He may have been a older man, but he was still a man. According to some, he should have been able to beat her just because he was a man and was stronger.
Don't be ridiculous, she'd be killed.

gRaFiC
May 31st, 2004, 02:28 AM
If serena's serve was on, at the very best, she could win her service games.

Couver
May 31st, 2004, 02:29 AM
Coria=Male

Serena=Female

There is a reason there are two seperate tours.

And don't get me wrong women can be just as good athletes as men. But nature hasn't made the playing field even enough for the two sexes to play together.

LiliaLee-Frazier
May 31st, 2004, 02:30 AM

She probably could dismiss players like Youzhny and Mamit. Your so wise ;) :wavey: :kiss: :bounce: :bounce: :drool:

dreamgoddess099
May 31st, 2004, 02:35 AM
Prove it, where's the footage of the match.

Eurotennisfan
May 31st, 2004, 02:35 AM
Serena would make Coria look like a jr. player.

Justin
May 31st, 2004, 02:41 AM

Lol. True that!

No woman would stand a chance against any male player in French Open draw. That's just the way it is.

And, those bringing up the Billie/Bobby match have likely never seen it... nor can tell us anything about Bobby Riggs; anything other than his loss to Billie (excpet maybe his two set schooling of #1 Margaret Court the year earlier ;) )

moby
May 31st, 2004, 02:43 AM
billie jean was at her prime
bobby was 50+ or something, drinks beer, out of shape etc.
and you must have forgotten that bobby did beat margaret court just before losing to billie jean, and court is arguably a better player

cheesestix
May 31st, 2004, 03:02 AM
Didn't Venus and Serena both get schooled by some German player (beer and cigarette in hand) a few years ago in a practice set or something??? Don't remember all of the details, but I think he was ranked like #200 or something.

cheesestix
May 31st, 2004, 03:06 AM
Here it is...

http://www.xtramsn.com/sport/0%2C%2C3934-2425220%2C00.html

Could Serena Shine On Men's Tour?
05/06/2003 02:52 PM Reuters

Five years ago, Serena Williams and her elder sister Venus walked into the ATP office at the Australian Open and challenged the men's tour to a one-set showdown.

Karsten Braasch, a German ranked 203 in the world, was in the office at the time and took up the challenge. A few days later he beat Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2.

Following golfer Annika Sorenstam's creditable performance last month in a men's PGA event, the question arises -- how would world No. 1 Serena fare against a man now?

She is by a country mile the best player in women's tennis and also the tour's finest athlete.

But unlike Sorenstam, she would have to test her physical prowess much more directly against a man and that would leave her at a huge disadvantage.

Williams's game is built on power, but you do not win four consecutive grand slam titles through strength alone.

The 21-year-old's shot placement and construction of points has developed markedly over the past 18 months and her on-court concentration has also improved.

Indeed, the American's 6-1, 6-2 destruction of Amelie Mauresmo at the French Open on Tuesday may well have set a new benchmark in women's tennis.

Against one of the hardest hitters on the tour, Serena was simply irresistible. Ignoring the patriotic French crowd with a look of almost murderous intent, she blew Mauresmo away.

If she were to play a man, the slow clay of Roland Garros would probably offer Williams her best hope. Not a natural volleyer, she could sit on the baseline and work for her points.

But she would still have experienced nothing like the relentless ferocity of the rallies that make up the men's game.

While very few women can give Serena a full-blooded rally, such exchanges are bread and butter on the ATP tour. Male professionals also move faster and can hit harder on the run than any woman.

Serena, then 16, noticed the disparity against Braasch.

"I didn't know it would be that hard," she said. "I hit shots that would have been winners on the WTA Tour and he got to them easily."

GAP NARROWED

In 1998, Braasch said he had served at only 50 percent of his potential against the Williams sisters and this is one area where Serena has undoubtedly narrowed the gap with the men.

On Tuesday her fastest serve was 114.9 mph compared with Guillermo Coria's 116.8 mph, while the average speed of her first serve was 101.3 mph compared with Coria's 94.4 mph.

But it would be the men's return of serve that would shake Serena -- in men's tennis it is much more of a weapon than in the women's game.

Psychologically she would also be at a disadvantage. Men's matches are rarely played at anything less than full throttle and the pressure of having to concentrate on every shot is not often experienced by Williams.

She has not lost a set at the French Open and has rarely conceded more than one or two games a set so far.

But if she played one set on clay against a player like Braasch, ranked below 200 in the men's world, would she be in with a chance?

There's only one way to find out.

CanadianBoy21
May 31st, 2004, 03:12 AM
cheesestix - venus and serena were no where the players they are now. that was like early 98 before Aus Open.

Serena would get killed on clay, but on grass, different story for sure!
Not that she would win on grass, but she would at least hold her serve most the time.

cheesestix
May 31st, 2004, 03:16 AM
cheesestix - venus and serena were no where the players they are now. that was like early 98 before Aus Open.

Serena would get killed on clay, but on grass, different story for sure!
Not that she would win on grass, but she would at least hold her serve most the time.

Maybe against some players.

But if she faced someone like Federer on grass, she'd get toasted.

I don't think some of you understand how much faster the men's game really is. She makes it look easy against most of the ladies, but most (if not all) top 100 men would embarrass her.

BTW, I'm not "hating" on Serena. I think all women on tour would get annihlated.

VRULES
May 31st, 2004, 03:18 AM
I say Serena surprises him with a quick first game, then gets steamrolled

6-1 6-0 6-0. Venus would get the same score, so would the belgians, unless Coria couldn't keep a ball in play.

WhatTheDeuce
May 31st, 2004, 03:23 AM
Maybe against some players.

But if she faced someone like Federer on grass, she'd get toasted.

I don't think some of you understand how much faster the men's game really is. She makes it look easy against most of the ladies, but most (if not all) top 100 men would embarrass her.

BTW, I'm not "hating" on Serena. I think all women on tour would get annihlated.
I basically agree with this. But I'd stretch it out to probably the top 200.

miranda_lou
May 31st, 2004, 03:28 AM
Billie did beat Bobby. He may have been a older man, but he was still a man. According to some, he should have been able to beat her just because he was a man and was stronger
Bobby Riggs beat Margaret Court that same year because Court was so nervous she could barely move. That win made Riggs a bit overconfident and he didn't train for the match with Billie Jean. In fact, he was out with his son drinking the night before. When the match began, Riggs kept his jacket on (the jacket had "Sugar Daddy" written across the back . . . the candy was his chief sponsor). He obviously didn't take the match seriously at all. Billie Jean won because Riggs ran out of gas in the first set.:lol:

As for Serena beating Coria . . . no way in hell she gets a game off that guy.:rolleyes: He's too good. She may serve as fast as he does but his placement is far superior and his returns will knock her off the court.

Of course we'll never know who would win because neither Serena nor Coria have anything to gain from a match against each other. So why bother?

- L i n a -
May 31st, 2004, 03:38 AM
Well, I remember that the Williams played Karsten Braasch, a retired German player with the most fucked up service motion ever... and they could only manage a 6-1 lost set against him.

It's deceptive on TV... but the men hit considerably harder, and more consistant than the ladies... and that would include Santoro, if he ever played normally. A Top 500 men's player... would wipe the floor against Serena.

Now, we're putting Serena up against Coria on clay...

6-0 6-0 6-0... Coria can be beaten by a big server, even on clay... but Serena is not Martin Verkerk. Serena's serve is below average, and he'd have no trouble with it. In rallies.. Coria would be quite content standing behind the baseline, making an UE every blue moon, and putting away her short balls. Serena couldn't do a thing to hurt him... and Coria would be winning 95% of the rally points.

On a faster court... maybe Serena could win a few games... but wouldn't be competitive.

For a better match, put Serena against someone like Arthurs. Even she could hold most of the time against him.

VeNuS#1LoVa
May 31st, 2004, 03:39 AM
As good as the Williams Sisters are, and they'd have the best shot against men, they would probably win 1 or 2 games against him if any, along with any top male. Men's tennis is just so muc better then women's, no woman could beat a top man, it's just true.

Justin
May 31st, 2004, 03:40 AM
I recall when Martina N was dominating in the early 80s, she wondered aloud if she could beat the #100 man in the world. Chrissy responded that her brother still defeated her when they played and that Martina couldn't defeat the #1000 on the ATP tour.

Eurotennisfan
I basically agree with this. But I'd stretch it out to probably the top 200.

make that 600 ;).

WhatTheDeuce
Well, I remember that the Williams played Karsten Braasch, a retired German player with the most fucked up service motion ever... and they could only manage a 6-1 lost set against him.

It's deceptive on TV... but the men hit considerably harder, and more consistant than the ladies... and that would include Santoro, if he ever played normally. A Top 500 men's player... would wipe the floor against Serena.

6-0 6-0 6-0... Coria can be beaten by a big server, even on clay... but Serena is not Martin Verkerk. Serena's serve is below average, and he'd have no trouble with it. In rallies.. Coria would be quite content standing behind the baseline, making an UE every blue moon, and putting away her short balls. Serena couldn't do a thing to hurt him... and Coria would be 95% of the rally points.
I agree with this 100%. Some of you really don't realize JUST HOW BIG A DIFFERENCE it is.

Lina, get on MSN. :sad:

LeonHart
May 31st, 2004, 03:46 AM
puh-lease. Coria would whooop serena so hard she wouldnt know whats happening. Coria hardly makes an UE and is one of the fastest ppl on tour.

Eurotennisfan
May 31st, 2004, 03:53 AM

6-0 6-0 6-0... Coria can be beaten by a big server, even on clay... but Serena is not Martin Verkerk. Serena's serve is below average, and he'd have no trouble with it. In rallies.. Coria would be quite content standing behind the baseline, making an UE every blue moon, and putting away her short balls. Serena couldn't do a thing to hurt him... and Coria would be winning 95% of the rally points.

On a faster court... maybe Serena could win a few games... but wouldn't be competitive.

For a better match, put Serena against someone like Arthurs. Even she could hold most of the time against him.

I think Arthurs started to play tennis at 17 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Berlin_Calling
May 31st, 2004, 03:54 AM
6-1 6-0 to Serena! No Contest!

Eurotennisfan
May 31st, 2004, 03:57 AM
6-1 6-0 to Serena! No Contest!
Finally someone who understands the power of Serena.

There is no way that Coria could match Serena's speed and winners to errors ratio.

vogus
May 31st, 2004, 04:47 AM
two notable "Battle of the Sexes" results involving Patty Schnyder. Last year Patty DEFEATED Patrick Mayer (ATP #1050 with a serve of 200+ kph) 7-6, 7-5. This year she lost to Daniel Kellerer (ATP #185) 6-2, 6-4 (at 4-4 in the second set, Kellerer, who plays qualifying at the Grand Slams and lots of ATP tour events, was only two games and a champions tie-break away from losing the contest). Surface was carpet. And this is Patty we're talking about, not Serena.

the people like dlandy (and i don't mean to single him out, because there are a lot of them) who talk the loudest trash about women "not being able to win a game" against the men are, not coincidentally, the ones who are the most opposed to seeing a legitimate "Battle of the Sexes" take place, because they are afraid they might be wrong. The dlandy's of the tennis world have absolutely no evidence to back up their shrill claims that the #1 woman would lose 60 60 to every male pro in the Top 200 - and guess what, having no evidence is just the way they like it.

The bottom line is, the ball doesn't know whether the player hitting it has female or male genitalia. At the end of the day a match is won or lost on the merits of the two players involved, whether they played well or badly that day - the sex of the player is neither here nor there. A tennis match is about the matchup. Against Coria, Serena would be better off to play him on grass. Against Sampras, she'd want to play him on clay. It just depends on who is playing against who. There is no law of physics that says that in the sport of tennis, a woman cannot hit winners against a man.

That having been said, i think it's pretty obvious that Coria should beat Serena very badly on clay. Serena might be able to hold serve a couple of times, maybe break once or twice, depending on her luck. I'd say Coria wins, 6-2 6-1. But on grass, if Serena was serving well (a lot of 110+ first serves, which is comparable to many male pros) she could definitely hold her serve a lot of the time, especially at the start of the match, before Coria could get a read on it. And Coria's serve would not be un-breakable for Serena on grass if she played aggressive returns and attacked. I'd guess Coria wins, 7-5, 6-2. But Serena could also lose much worse than this - it would just depend on how well each of they played that day.

AjdeNate!
May 31st, 2004, 05:00 AM
She'd come to the court in 2 nipple shields and a thong. Coria wouldn't be watching the ball. She'd nab the first 3 games before he realized that only the balls should be bouncing - and not the ones in his shorts. He'd get to tennis and win 63 60 60.

moby
May 31st, 2004, 05:11 AM
i kinda agree with vogus
serena will be double bagelled on clay unless she plays out of her mind (and wins a couple)
on grass, it will be a closer affair... maybe 6-3 6-1 to coria or something (coria can be aggressive if he wants to, and i don't think serena can hit harder than him)

miranda_lou
May 31st, 2004, 05:13 AM
She'd come to the court in 2 nipple shields and a thong. Coria wouldn't be watching the ball.
Serena is 3 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier than poor Willie.:lol: He also has a beautiful, slim, young wife. I seriously doubt Serena's nakedness would arouse him in any way.:rolleyes:

Wee Willie 6-0; 6-0; 6-0!!!!!:tape:

AjdeNate!
May 31st, 2004, 05:16 AM
Serena is 3 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier than poor Willie.:lol: He also has a beautiful, slim, young wife. I seriously doubt Serena's nakedness would arouse him in any way.:rolleyes:

Wee Willie 6-0; 6-0; 6-0!!!!!:tape:
One can stare and ogle and not enjoy the scenery. ;)

Jarrett
May 31st, 2004, 05:20 AM
She'd come to the court in 2 nipple shields and a thong. Coria wouldn't be watching the ball. She'd nab the first 3 games before he realized that only the balls should be bouncing - and not the ones in his shorts. He'd get to tennis and win 63 60 60.
:lol: :worship:

Trent
May 31st, 2004, 07:36 AM
You're really kidding yourself if you think Serena would win.

Mr_Molik
May 31st, 2004, 07:42 AM

There is no way that Coria could match Serena's speed and winners to errors ratio.

:rolleyes: serenas winners to errors ratio is against WOMEN
kim clijsters was being interviewed and said she couldnt hit a winner past lleyton

i say coria 6-0, 6-0, 6-0
serena would only win points off corias rare errors and might hit a winner or 2
serena could not beat a single man in the top 600
serena hits the ball flat and the majority of men use topspin. serena would not be able to hold her own in long rallies

those of u talking about bobby riggs vs billie jean, i heard that bobby bet a large amount of money on billie jean to win and obviously they were pretty good odds (dont know if this is true or not)

Mr_Molik
May 31st, 2004, 07:44 AM
most of the men r struggling to get games off coria
what makes u think serena is going 2?? :confused: :tape:

Jackson.
May 31st, 2004, 07:44 AM
Coria 6-0 6-0 6-1 ;)

Grachka
May 31st, 2004, 08:13 AM

:haha:

Serena may outclass the majority of the women's tour, but there is NO WAY that she could even come close to matching Coria. The blunt truth is that Serena, Venus or anyone else would be outclassed by the qualifiers at the Edinburgh $10K I was at last month, they played with considerably more power, agility, endurance and precision.

Its a sad fact of nature that women players are simply unequal.

flyingmachine
May 31st, 2004, 08:17 AM
most of the men r struggling to get games off coria
what makes u think serena is going 2?? :confused: :tape:
Coria will win it for sure. ;)

turt
May 31st, 2004, 08:42 AM
Here it is...

http://www.xtramsn.com/sport/0%2C%2C3934-2425220%2C00.html

Could Serena Shine On Men's Tour?
05/06/2003 02:52 PM Reuters

Five years ago, Serena Williams and her elder sister Venus walked into the ATP office at the Australian Open and challenged the men's tour to a one-set showdown.

Karsten Braasch, a German ranked 203 in the world, was in the office at the time and took up the challenge. A few days later he beat Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2.

Following golfer Annika Sorenstam's creditable performance last month in a men's PGA event, the question arises -- how would world No. 1 Serena fare against a man now?

She is by a country mile the best player in women's tennis and also the tour's finest athlete.

But unlike Sorenstam, she would have to test her physical prowess much more directly against a man and that would leave her at a huge disadvantage.

Williams's game is built on power, but you do not win four consecutive grand slam titles through strength alone.

The 21-year-old's shot placement and construction of points has developed markedly over the past 18 months and her on-court concentration has also improved.

Indeed, the American's 6-1, 6-2 destruction of Amelie Mauresmo at the French Open on Tuesday may well have set a new benchmark in women's tennis.

Against one of the hardest hitters on the tour, Serena was simply irresistible. Ignoring the patriotic French crowd with a look of almost murderous intent, she blew Mauresmo away.

If she were to play a man, the slow clay of Roland Garros would probably offer Williams her best hope. Not a natural volleyer, she could sit on the baseline and work for her points.

But she would still have experienced nothing like the relentless ferocity of the rallies that make up the men's game.

While very few women can give Serena a full-blooded rally, such exchanges are bread and butter on the ATP tour. Male professionals also move faster and can hit harder on the run than any woman.

Serena, then 16, noticed the disparity against Braasch.

"I didn't know it would be that hard," she said. "I hit shots that would have been winners on the WTA Tour and he got to them easily."

GAP NARROWED

In 1998, Braasch said he had served at only 50 percent of his potential against the Williams sisters and this is one area where Serena has undoubtedly narrowed the gap with the men.

On Tuesday her fastest serve was 114.9 mph compared with Guillermo Coria's 116.8 mph, while the average speed of her first serve was 101.3 mph compared with Coria's 94.4 mph.

But it would be the men's return of serve that would shake Serena -- in men's tennis it is much more of a weapon than in the women's game.

Psychologically she would also be at a disadvantage. Men's matches are rarely played at anything less than full throttle and the pressure of having to concentrate on every shot is not often experienced by Williams.

She has not lost a set at the French Open and has rarely conceded more than one or two games a set so far.

But if she played one set on clay against a player like Braasch, ranked below 200 in the men's world, would she be in with a chance?

There's only one way to find out.
Funny to put this article in perspective: it was published just after Serena demolished Amélie last year, and they were talking about how impressing she was, and how easily she beat her opponents... It looked like she should go to the men's competitions if she wanted to get challenged!

The next day, she was out of the tournament...

flyingmachine
May 31st, 2004, 08:50 AM
I think the sercet of success of the battle of the sexes is to OUTSMART them rather than OURPOWER them. Men is always phyical stronger than women that's the fact if Serena plays her normal aggro tennis against Coria I'm sure she will ended up fried by Coria. The story is if you want to beat a men (pro ATP player) you have to used your BRAIN. ;)

Tylane
May 31st, 2004, 08:55 AM
Serena would lose 6/0 6/0 6/0 against a ranked 200th player, so against Coria... :lol:
Are you realistic when you put this thread ????
There is a so big difference of nivel between men and women, the number one wta couldn't win a game against the number 200 atp !!!

Vass22
May 31st, 2004, 09:02 AM

Didn't she and Venus experiment llike this ones? With a guy below No200 in the world? Even Youzhny would bagel her in atleast one set.

Crazy Canuck
May 31st, 2004, 09:12 AM
There is some hilarious denial going on in this thread :lol:

Crazy Canuck
May 31st, 2004, 09:15 AM
For example: :lol: at anybody who thinks that Coria couldn't handle Serena's power. For godsake, the man has wins against Safin and Gonzo this year (Gonzo choked and hsould have won, but a win is a win) :p

Chance
May 31st, 2004, 09:19 AM
:lol:

Why are people taking this thread so seriously?

SpikeyAidanm
May 31st, 2004, 09:20 AM
Didn't she and Venus experiment llike this ones? With a guy below No200 in the world? Even Youzhny would bagel her in atleast one set.

Serena was like 16 then.

Anyway I agree with Lina, she would be able to hold serve against crap returners, like an Arthurs.

Anyway this discussion is useless.

SpikeyAidanm
May 31st, 2004, 09:22 AM
Some fo you guys are generalising, saying she will get slaughtered by everyone in the top 200 is too subjective, I'm a big fan of Todd Reid ranked around the 120's and I admit Serena could break his serve a few times...

She would have no chance against someone ranked around the same region like a Calatrava for example.

It all depends on the matchup, not the rank.

Zhao
May 31st, 2004, 09:22 AM
Serena has had problems dealing with topspin shots
Coria dun have to blow her off
All he has to do is to play all the topspin shots
n Serena will make abt 1000+ errors???

!<blocparty>!
May 31st, 2004, 10:38 AM
I have not read throught the whole thread, so I'm just going to say that Serena would not win a game, without ANY doubt. Players say that mens and womens tennis is like a totally different sport, Serena would be over whelmed by the topspin and movement of Coria.

E. Blackadder
May 31st, 2004, 10:49 AM
Serena would get double bageled, and if she's very lucky she might be able to win a game

arn
May 31st, 2004, 11:03 AM
Dominique Coene was Venus' hitting partner last year in Antwerp. He's ranked outside the top-500. He said he wasn't impressed with the way Venus played and would beat her easily.

Brαm
May 31st, 2004, 11:05 AM
Prove it, where's the footage of the match.
Hey I could beat Serena too, according to your logic.

What? Impossible you say?
Well there just is no footage :awww:

propi
May 31st, 2004, 11:07 AM
ROLF :haha:
Yay!!!
Vamos Serena, do it à la Janet :bounce: :banana:

-Em-
May 31st, 2004, 11:11 AM
Serena would get her ass kicked. Coria is one of the best players on clay in the world. the whole match would be really short........

:devil: :devil: :devil:

kart_veteran
May 31st, 2004, 11:25 AM
So, the predictions range from:
"Serena Williams couldn't even get close to winning a game from the #1000 ATP player"
to:
"Serena Williams would be competitive, able to win most of her service games, and has chances to even break Coria on clay."

But apparently, nobody has any knowledge or facts or good examples that can show us what the approximate truth will be... Examples exist but they are allways lame or full of excuses for one of the players (i haven't even heard people talking about that Clijsters-Hewitt love match from a few months ago, that Hewitt won with 9-8 or something).

I find this situation strange. I have a few female friends that play tennis, and from practicing together or playing training matches I know exactly how much chance they have of winning against me.

Female top players must have practiced with males occasionally, and they must have played at least some friendly training matches/sets/games/points with males. I can't imagine that out of >1000 professional tennis players in history nobody ever did that.

So, there has to be people around there, who could answer our question. Or at least they should be able to give a general idea, so that the most extreme claims can be discarded. But apparently, nobody is ever going to give that information.

So, three things are possible for me
1) The male and female top players people know how much difference there is between males and females, but they are purposedly hiding the truth to the general public.
2) Males and females have so much respect for eachother that they seriously never play even one single competitive rally against eachother.
3) My reasoning in this post is completely wrong...

SM
May 31st, 2004, 12:04 PM
EUROTENNISFAN = TROLL
ofcourse ANY woman player would be whipped by one of the best men out there. period.

why did he choose serena? she has the most explosive game of the women and he knew we'd end up saying shed get thrashed...so what was the point? to make a mockery of serena or the women's game? either way ithe only mockery to be made of is this thread ...:rolleyes:

Allez-H
May 31st, 2004, 12:06 PM

Are you ot of your mind???If Guillermo can do what he does on clay with the male players,what the hell is going to do with Serena?

Martian Jeza
May 31st, 2004, 12:11 PM
Coria 6-0, 6-0 and 6-1 ( to be friendly ) ... :D

spudrsca
May 31st, 2004, 12:27 PM
Why bother to ask the question? The answer is so obvious.
Her serve would not be a weapon against the males and her footwork are bad, she would be wrong footed every time against Coria.
What I would love is to see Rios against Serena.
He would made fantasy shots like backspin drop volley and the balls would touch both sides of the court:devil:

Coria can beat guys like Safin, Roddick but he would be overwhelmed by the power of Serena :lol: :lol: :lol:

Berlin_Calling
May 31st, 2004, 02:06 PM
Mirjana Lucic would beat Coria 6-0 6-0 because he wouldn't be able to handle her power!! ALLEZ MIRJANA!

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 02:17 PM
Pretty lame attempt at joking about Serena......and not even a Serena-fan. Wait, wait...isn´t this the one who said Karolina Sprem is a lock for the SF?! Uhmmm.....when your fav loses so early, I guess...then you have nothing better to do than come with crappy threads like this.

Glenn
May 31st, 2004, 02:22 PM
Coria def. Williams 6-0 6-0 6-0
Coria def. anyone on the WTA tour 6-0 6-0 6-0

thelittlestelf
May 31st, 2004, 02:38 PM
Who would kick eachother's ass in real life?

WorldWar24
May 31st, 2004, 02:43 PM
If serena's serve was on, at the very best, she could win her service games.

:spit: :spit: :spit: :spit:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha::haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha::haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

vogus
May 31st, 2004, 04:08 PM
there is a lot of ignorance in this thread. "Eurotennisfan" (or is his name maybe "for-sure" or "selesrules"?) wanted to TROLL the wtaworld ignoramuses out of the woodwork, and he succeeded.

Kart Veteran's was one of a very limited number of quality posts that i read in here. I think out of those assumptions, #1 is the most correct - the top male and female players know what the general difference is, and they hide it from the public. Why? Because i think both men AND women are ashamed by the difference, for different reasons. Women, because with all other things being equal, they know they just are not going to defeat a man in a legitimate match. And men, because although they know they will defeat the woman, they might not defeat her as easily (ie, the woman wins a few games or God forbid, a set) as their male ego demands, bringing a perceived humiliation to them.

But until an officially arranged and publicized match is played, nobody knows for certain. And even then, one match could give a fluke result and not necessarily be an indicator of the general trend.

WF4EVER
May 31st, 2004, 04:18 PM
I would be startled if Serena could win five points in the whole match. Serena is a good clay court player on the women's side, but Coria is a master on the men's side. He would annihilate Serena. The score would be 6, -0, 6, -0, 6 -0. If that were posible.

I wouldn't even go down this road.

WhatTheDeuce
May 31st, 2004, 04:50 PM

There are men who hit WAY harder and more consistently and have better serves than Serena. Why the HELL would you think Serena could beat him? lol

You are so sorely mistaken.

WF4EVER
May 31st, 2004, 08:41 PM
I just noticed that Karsten Braasch (sp?) (who played Venus and Serena) was playing doubles at the FO with Sargsian. They lost to Bhupathi/Mirnyi.

I didn't know he still played; I thought he'd retired years ago.

- L i n a -
May 31st, 2004, 09:00 PM
The exception to this rule is...

ELENA BOVINA

2004 Australian Open Mixed Doubles Champion... and soon-to-be, holder of all 4 slam titles.

She carried Zimonjic to the title... and just today, she was returning Nestor's big serves like they were nothing.

Bovina = #1 in men's tennis.

WhatTheDeuce
May 31st, 2004, 09:01 PM

ELENA BOVINA

2004 Australian Open Mixed Doubles Champion... and soon-to-be, holder of all 4 slam titles.

She carried Zimonjic to the title... and just today, she was returning Nestor's big serves like they were nothing.

:haha:

WorldWar24
May 31st, 2004, 09:02 PM

ELENA BOVINA

me agrees :dance:

toobaxx
May 31st, 2004, 09:08 PM
If Coria can manage the likes of Andy Roddick , carlos Moya, Roger Federer etc. Why the HELL whouldn´t he be able to beat Sérena......

this is just plain STUPID!!!!!!

volta
May 31st, 2004, 10:08 PM
lol. the only thing that comes to my mind is look at the Body Diference between them. LOL. WOW it´s huge. i like them both but i don´t know, Coria likes to counter attack and long rallys , Serena doesn´t like long Rallys so Serena would lose it because of the UE.

tennisluver99
May 31st, 2004, 10:19 PM
Serena=Queen of Grass.

Coria=King of Clay.

Match on Clay=Coria 6-1 6-1

'Nuff said

Doc
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:20 AM
Watching mixed doubles, I don't see this enormous difference between the sexes some people go on about. In fact the women are often better at returning, and the serves of the best women are quite effective against the men. At one time the men were supposed to cut down on their serves when serving to the woman. But the statistics show this doesn't happen that much now.

As for direct competition, individual results are heavily affected by nervousness, tension etc. Yo would need a lot of results to prove anything. Patty Schnyder seems to like to play men in the off-season, and has had some interesting results.

In December 2002 Patty defeated Patrick Mayr the champion of Tyrol (ATP 1183) by 7-6 7-5 in an exhibition match.

This year on 13.12.2003, she had another match against ATP ranked 167
Daniel Koellerer. her website claims he had to go all out to beat her 6-2 and 6-4 in 62 minutes.

http://www.patty-schnyder.ch/a001.jpg

vogus
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:56 AM
I'm a bit leery of any claims posted on Patty's official homepage, as that site is operated by Patty's husband, who is the biggest liar west of the Danube. But 6-2 6-4 was definitely the score of her match against Kollerer - whether he "went all-out" or not, impossible to say without seeing the match.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:58 AM
I'm a bit leery of any claims posted on Patty's official homepage, as that site is operated by Patty's husband, who is the biggest liar west of the Danube. But 6-2 6-4 was definitely the score of her match against Kollerer - whether he "went all-out" or not, impossible to say without seeing the match.
There's no way he did.

faboozadoo15
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:09 AM
I recall when Martina N was dominating in the early 80s, she wondered aloud if she could beat the #100 man in the world. Chrissy responded that her brother still defeated her when they played and that Martina couldn't defeat the #1000 on the ATP tour.
it's a good quote to pull up, but i think martina would have beaten the world number 1000 any day of the week during her prime.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:16 AM
it's a good quote to pull up, but i think martina would have beaten the world number 1000 any day of the week during her prime.
you'd be surprised

Mr_Molik
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:16 AM

he couldnt have gone all out. if he did he doesnt deserve to be in the top 200, let alone the top 1000

vogus
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:51 AM
you guys say he "couldn't have." But he'd be an idiot if he didn't go all out - if he had lost, his career would be disgraced. You have no evidence whatsoever that this guy, (ATP #180) wasn't trying when he played Patty. All you guys are doing is hoping and praying that the result was something other than what the score clearly says it was - a competetive match between a Top 20 WTA player and a Top 200 ATP player. BTW, Kellerer recently got to the quarters at the ATP tournie in St. Polten - the dude can play.

Eurotennisfan
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:52 AM
you guys say he "couldn't have." But he'd be an idiot if he didn't go all out - if he had lost, his career would be disgraced. You have no evidence whatsoever that this guy, (ATP #180) wasn't trying when he played Patty. All you guys are doing is hoping and praying that the result was something other than what the score clearly says it was - a competetive match between a Top 20 WTA player and a Top 200 ATP player. BTW, Kellerer recently got to the quarters at the ATP tournie in St. Polten - the dude can play.
I am telling you guys...Serena smokes ANY top 100 ATP player! Finally someone who agrees with me and is not a hater!

Eurotennisfan
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:53 AM
I would be startled if Serena could win five points in the whole match. Serena is a good clay court player on the women's side, but Coria is a master on the men's side. He would annihilate Serena. The score would be 6, -0, 6, -0, 6 -0. If that were posible.

I wouldn't even go down this road.
hater!

Eurotennisfan
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:53 AM
he couldnt have gone all out. if he did he doesnt deserve to be in the top 200, let alone the top 1000
hater

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:04 AM
I am telling you guys...Serena smokes ANY top 100 ATP player! Finally someone who agrees with me and is not a hater!
omg, i REALLY, REALLY hope you are joking. if you arent, you have some MAJOR problems.

joaco
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:24 AM
Coria def. Serena 6-0, 6-0, 3-0 ret. from exhaustation

1jackson2001
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:32 AM
Coria would win 6-0 6-0 6-0. He normally doesn't hit that many winners in the ATP tour, but against Serena it will be much easier. Also when Serena does hit a ball, she'll make her 245435234543 unforced errors.

Leo_DFP
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:51 AM

Youzhny often hits with topspin and slice. And no, she couldn't beat a Top 40 player.