PDA

View Full Version : Does Dementieva have the Strongest groundstrokes in Women's Tennis?

TSequoia01
May 30th, 2004, 10:42 PM
I am beginning to think so. Her strokes against the Sisters in Miami and Lindsay today proves her groundies are the best bar none. Serve and return of Serve is another question that will be discussed another day. But groundstrokes.....yes she is the best IMHO. :cool:

Dava
May 30th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Erm no shes not as good as the sisters, and Davenport, cos her backhand is kinda rigid, but she has a solid return and a great forehand, which put her right up there. If she didnt have those qualitys shed be nowhere with that serve.

TSequoia01
May 30th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Erm no shes not as good as the sisters, and Davenport, cos her backhand is kinda rigid, but she has a solid return and a great forehand, which put her right up there. If she didnt have those qualitys shed be nowhere with that serve.
Against both Venus, Serena, and now Davenport she beat all off the ground from the baseline. While I admit court coverage is a factor, Dementieva out hit Lindsay today, she outhit Venus and Serena in Miami. She has very powerful groundstrokes. :cool:

Dava
May 30th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Yes but they aint that dependable. Against Serena she kept shanking them all over the place, and against Smashnova (who gave her no pace, but still).

WhatTheDeuce
May 30th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Against both Venus, Serena, and now Davenport she beat all off the ground from the baseline. While I admit court coverage is a factor, Dementieva out hit Lindsay today, she outhit Venus and Serena in Miami. She has very powerful groundstrokes. :cool:
She outhit Serena?? :haha: Don't be ridiculous.

Though I do think that her groundstrokes are top 5, maybe top 3 on the tour.

!<blocparty>!
May 30th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Lindsay was injured today, so most people would have out-hit her.

And how can someone out hit someone and loose 6-1, 6-1:confused: :confused: :confused:

TSequoia01
May 30th, 2004, 10:55 PM

Though I do think that her groundstrokes are top 5, maybe top 3 on the tour.
Yes she out hit Serena from the baseline. Rena killed her serves and that gave her the edge but from the baseline, Dementieva was beating her up. :cool:

- L i n a -
May 30th, 2004, 10:56 PM
No... Lena D. does not have the strongest groundies on tour.

I'd say Sharapova and Bovina definitely hit harder.

WhatTheDeuce
May 30th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Yes she out hit Serena from the baseline. Rena killed her serves and that gave her the edge but from the baseline, Dementieva was beating her up. :cool:
No, she really didn't. She match stats will prove that. Though yes, she can hang at the baseline with Serena on a good day.

WhatTheDeuce
May 30th, 2004, 10:58 PM
No... Lena D. does not have the strongest groundies on tour.

I'd say Sharapova and Bovina definitely hit harder.
I don't think the poster necessarily meant hardest hitting (though she does hit very hard). And Dementieva is far better off the ground than Bovina, and more consistent than Sharapova, though Maria is more explosive.

flyingmachine
May 30th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Any player in the top 20 could killed her serve at anytime.

- L i n a -
May 30th, 2004, 11:01 PM
I don't think the poster necessarily meant hardest hitting (though she does hit very hard). And Dementieva is far better off the ground than Bovina, and more consistent than Sharapova, though Maria is more explosive.
I wouldn't say far better...

On a good day with Bovina, she has shown she can take Lena D. down... but yes, more often that not, Lena D. wins that battle.

flyingmachine
May 30th, 2004, 11:03 PM
True I think this is one of the reason why Dementieva is so good on clay. However the serve have to improve otherwise NO grand slam for her.

WhatTheDeuce
May 30th, 2004, 11:03 PM
I think if you gave Dementieva Serena's serve, she'd be a better player than Serena. That's how good her ground game is, and how much her serve holds her back.

!<blocparty>!
May 30th, 2004, 11:05 PM
OK, maybe she did beat (off the ground) Lindsay today, I just heard she got injured in the second set against Elena.

Thanx Dava!!!

Dava
May 30th, 2004, 11:06 PM
OK, maybe she did beat (off the ground) Lindsay today, I just heard she got injured in the second set against Elena.

Thanx Dava!!!
Well its only what I read, in lindsays interview.

Dava
May 30th, 2004, 11:07 PM
I think if you gave Dementieva Serena's serve, she'd be a better player than Serena. That's how good her ground game is, and how much her serve holds her back.
I agree, as long as her nerves dont hold her back.

- L i n a -
May 30th, 2004, 11:08 PM
I think the ineffectiveness of Lena D.'s serve is overrated...

Her 1st serve, while being all arm, it's not a liability and she can serve some aces with it.

Plus, there's many players who don't take advantage of her 2nd serve.

It's only an issue when someone is crushing that 2nd serve constantly... and the only player I've seen be successful with that is Serena.

Plus, Lena D. can also be very streaky with her groundies... I saw her early round matches in Toronto, and they were hideous. Her match with Myskina may have been the most error-filled garbage fest I've ever seen.

TSequoia01
May 30th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Exactly, strongest and hardest are different things. Consistency and accuracy enter in. But in Miami and now in Paris she has proven to me that off the ground she can compete with anyone. Variety, serves, return of serves, and court management are different issues. :cool:

Dava
May 30th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Plus, there's many players who don't take advantage of her 2nd serve.

It's only an issue when someone is crushing that 2nd serve constantly... and the only player I've seen be successful with that is Serena.

Exactly most players are actually thrown off by it, especially the drop shot one, which barly gets over the net, I think I saw her ace Tara Snyder at Birmingham last year with on of those :tape:

Also with a player like Pistolesi she didnt need to serve well, she just needed to get it in, cos Anna wasent going to reel winners of her second serve.

thelittlestelf
May 30th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Jennifer and even maybe Kim have stronger ground strokes.

Knizzle
May 30th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Serena has the best ones.

!<blocparty>!
May 30th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Exactly most players are actually thrown off by it, especially the drop shot one, which barly gets over the net, I think I saw her ace Tara Snyder at Birmingham last year with on of those :tape:

Also with a player like Pistolesi she didnt need to serve well, she just needed to get it in, cos Anna wasent going to reel winners of her second serve.
LOL, i use that underarm dropshot serve against the oldies @ my clubnight, it gets me in stiches watching them chug along up the court like elephants!!!

TSequoia01
May 30th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Lindsay was injured today, so most people would have out-hit her.

And how can someone out hit someone and loose 6-1, 6-1:confused: :confused: :confused:
Groundstrokes are only a portion of the game. There are many, many other factors......:cool:

!<blocparty>!
May 30th, 2004, 11:21 PM
You cannot say that IMO, Serena's game is not all about her shots, would Elena be as strong mentally as Serena? Would Elena have been able to come back from 5-2 down against Kim in the AO?

jenny161185
May 30th, 2004, 11:21 PM
no , but shes close sometimes whn she hits those forehands Its like the ball is being shot out of a rocket launcher!

LindsayRocks89
May 30th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Lindsay has the best groundstrokes in tennis

TSequoia01
May 30th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Lindsay has the best groundstrokes in tennis
With all due respect to Lindsay, it did not look like that today. :o

vettipooh
May 30th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Lindsay has the best groundstrokes in tennis I'd say one of the best.Let's face it though....if Linzi had not been injured,Dementieva would have been packing her bags,ground strokes or not!!!!!;)

Foot_Fault
May 31st, 2004, 12:01 AM
I am beginning to think so. Her strokes against the Sisters in Miami and Lindsay today proves her groundies are the best bar none. Serve and return of Serve is another question that will be discussed another day. But groundstrokes.....yes she is the best IMHO. :cool:
Keep telling yourself that bud.:rolleyes:

Black Mamba.
May 31st, 2004, 12:20 AM
Who cares? What have her awesome groundstrokes gotten her? Even if she has the best groundstrokes in the game I would rather have Serena's titles than her groundstrokes.

selesfan87
May 31st, 2004, 12:21 AM
I'm not sure, this is something I've never thought about before!

Sam L
May 31st, 2004, 12:28 AM
:haha:

ace4lleykim
May 31st, 2004, 12:34 AM
Wow I was shocked that Elena defeated Lindsay in straight sets!!!:eek: Her second serve is the weakest second serve I've ever seen in the WTA. :eek: But she has pretty nice groundstrokes though.

TennisLurker
May 31st, 2004, 12:37 AM
how fast is dementive around the court?

Ive not seen much of her

Andrew.
May 31st, 2004, 12:41 AM
She was injured, not moving, and overall doing nothing. On a normal day Lindsay could outhit Elena.

LindsayRocks89
May 31st, 2004, 12:44 AM

with all due respect, Lindsay was injured and was hardly moving on court, she was limping, oh and Dementiva doesn't have the best groundstokes

K-Dog
May 31st, 2004, 12:45 AM
That backhand of Elena's is ugly to watch. It works though, and her forehand is awesome, but I think that Jennifer, Lindsay, and Serena have better groundstrokes!!