PDA

View Full Version : Article on Venus. What do you think??

spartanchris
May 30th, 2004, 11:33 PM
PARIS(AP) Venus Williams' body language worried her mother. At least twice, Williams swatted awkwardly at a ball, winced, then grabbed her stomach. Perhaps there was nothing significant and Williams laughed off a question after her victory but it was reasonable to wonder, what with so many injuries at the top of women's tennis over the past year, and at the French Open on Sunday alone.

Jennifer Capriati strained her right thigh, though that didn't stop her from setting up a quarterfinal showdown against Serena Williams. Lindsay Davenport's right knee injury did contribute to her loss to Elena Dementieva, one of three Russians in the final eight.

Venus, meanwhile, suddenly found herself in a second-set struggle before getting past 23rd-seeded Fabiola Zuluaga of Colombia 6-1, 7-6 (3). That put Venus in the quarterfinals, a round better than she fared at Roland Garros in 2003, when she was hampered by a torn abdominal muscle.

"Let's hope it's not that old injury," Oracene Williams said after shuttling between show courts to see parts of both daughters' matches. "I thought she wanted to cry out there. She's had so much happen to her."

Venus couldn't play in the German Open final May 9 after twisting her left ankle in the semifinals, but any questions about how she'd hold up in Paris should have been answered by now. She has yet to drop a set while running her winning streak on clay to 19 matches, and said Sunday she feels as if she's in "definitely a lot better form than I was last year."

Serena, who could meet her sibling in the semifinals, said: "I'm pretty good at judging her form. ... She's dominating me right now in practice."

The ankle looked great in the third game against Zuluaga, when Venus sprinted from the baseline to get to a well-placed drop shot and swatted a winner. Two points later, however, Venus hit an off-balance forehand into the net, cringed, and put a hand to her midsection.

Serving for the match at 6-5 in the second set, Venus stopped short on one ball, deciding not to give chase. Then, after sending a forehand long, she doubled over briefly. She put a backhand into the net on the next point to get broken.

A couple of times, Venus delayed play while going to switch rackets.

"Venus looked a little more agitated in the second set," said Zuluaga, an Australian Open semifinalist. "She went to change rackets because of a 'problem' with her strings, but I think she wanted to catch her breath."

All in all, Venus controlled the tempo, generating enough power to keep most of her shots deep, strike an ace at 112 mph, and hit 28 winners. But 24 of her 31 unforced errors came in the second set.

"I let her back into the match," Venus lamented.

Serena didn't do anything of the sort against Shinobu Asagoe of Japan, compiling a 24-3 edge in winners during a 6-3, 6-1 victory. That put the 2002 French Open champion against 2001 titleholder Capriati, a 7-5, 6-1 winner over No. 17 Francesca Schiavone.

This is an article I found on my Road Runner website. I just wanted to know what all of you thought. I saw a similar post, but this article wasnt in it. I just hope my girl Vee is all right.:hearts:

Knizzle
May 30th, 2004, 11:41 PM
This shit sounds phony as hell.

Paneru
May 30th, 2004, 11:53 PM
I watched the match and saw nothing wrong with Venus.

She was whincing and moaning as some of the errors
she made but I saw nothing of physical pain.

Sounds like these quotes were taken before she talked
to Venus. From where Orecene was sitting maybe it was hard
to judge what is what exactly seeing as she doesn't have
the luxury we all have at home of being right in their faces.

She'll be fine! :cool:

catkey94
May 30th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Sounds like the author of this article is trying to make a big deal out of nothing. Even the quotes in the article didn't seem to make any sense.

spartanchris
May 31st, 2004, 12:20 AM
I too watched the match and did not think anymore of it than Venus responding to bad errors. I am glad everyone feels the same on this subject.

LindsayRocks89
May 31st, 2004, 12:37 AM
i think it was because she lost some easy points, but in any case lets hope she's alright.

LindsayRocks89
May 31st, 2004, 12:37 AM
also, if something was wrong with her abdominal region, i dont think she would have been hitting all of those overheads she was.

Foot_Fault
May 31st, 2004, 12:38 AM
just watched the match AGAIN, didn't notice anything, Probably just want to get people talking, that's it. Look...it worked.

7~LV3
May 31st, 2004, 12:53 AM
but then, something did happen to her in the 2nd set... her level of play just fluctuated..!!!

Infiniti2001
May 31st, 2004, 12:58 AM
but then, something did happen to her in the 2nd set... her level of play just fluctuated..!!!

Could it be that Fabiola just started playing better??:shrug:

Foot_Fault
May 31st, 2004, 12:59 AM
How about Zulu just played better?:rolleyes:

We got to stop this "SHE'S INJURED/HE'S INJURED" Crap.
Walking on that court, you're declaring yourself Fully fit, Win or Lose.

But Venus...will be alright, she will pull out if need be. But I don't think we should get alarmed until she tell us something.

Jericho
May 31st, 2004, 01:02 AM
I think Venus was just frustrated that she was missing more shots in the second set. Venus hit a lot of overheads and they always do a zoom slowmotion replay and she never showed any sign of discomfort.

Infiniti2001
May 31st, 2004, 01:02 AM
This is from Vee's website, she didn't mention any injury

5/30/04 7:45 PM

By Craig Gabriel

PARIS: When you look at Venus Williams on a tennis court who can see the
focus and intensity on her face. The concentration is there. However, at the
same time there is almost a sense of sereness about her.

She says that the serenity has to do with the experience she has in the
game. Because she has been in so many tight situations on the court she is
not going to panic. She's not going to lose the plot like so many other
players can do and have done. Allowing a frustrating situation to get to
you and then showing that frustration to your opponent plays right into
that person's hands. Venus is not going to let that happen.

Such was the case in her fourth round match against Fabiola Zuluaga of
Columbia who Venus had beaten just a couple of months ago in the first
round of Warsaw. This time Venus had won the first set very easily. She
opened a 5-0 lead and then won the set 6-1. However, the second set got
close and for a lesser player the frustration might have been on display
for all to witness at not being able to close it out much sooner.

Venus ended up winning the match 6-1, 7-6, but you would never have known
her feelings during the second set. The win has put her one round ahead of
where she was last year.

"My third round (against Mary Pierce) was definitely a good test," said
Venus. "Today I had an opportunity to close it out fairly easily but missed
some shots there I shouldn't have missed. Next thing you know the match is
close.

"Any round has that potential, but I've been able to close it out. It's
been happening to a lot of seeds, these tough, long matches, so I've been
fortunate."

Certainly it was an advantage not to have to go to a third set, she remains
that much fresher, but irrespective, you're into the next round with the
opportunity to pick up the pace another notch and a "chance to make it
happen in a better way".

In the quarterfinals Venus will come up against Anastasia Myskina who
survived a thrilling match with fellow Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova, who
Venus beat in the Warsaw final, 1-6, 6-4, 8-6.

They have met on two occasions, both in 2002 and Venus won both times
including a match on clay.

"She's a good player on clay and plays better throughout the match so I
will just have to keep my play as strong as it was today," said Venus.

Scroll to the bottom of the page to listen to her :p
http://www.venuswilliams.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=66143&itype=&iCategoryID=431

vettipooh
May 31st, 2004, 01:04 AM
Sounds like wishful thinking on someone's part.

Foot_Fault
May 31st, 2004, 01:08 AM
This is from Vee's website, she didn't mention any injury

5/30/04 7:45 PM

By Craig Gabriel

PARIS: When you look at Venus Williams on a tennis court who can see the
focus and intensity on her face. The concentration is there. However, at the
same time there is almost a sense of sereness about her.

She says that the serenity has to do with the experience she has in the
game. Because she has been in so many tight situations on the court she is
not going to panic. She's not going to lose the plot like so many other
players can do and have done. Allowing a frustrating situation to get to
you and then showing that frustration to your opponent plays right into
that person's hands. Venus is not going to let that happen.

Such was the case in her fourth round match against Fabiola Zuluaga of
Columbia who Venus had beaten just a couple of months ago in the first
round of Warsaw. This time Venus had won the first set very easily. She
opened a 5-0 lead and then won the set 6-1. However, the second set got
close and for a lesser player the frustration might have been on display
for all to witness at not being able to close it out much sooner.

Venus ended up winning the match 6-1, 7-6, but you would never have known
her feelings during the second set. The win has put her one round ahead of
where she was last year.

"My third round (against Mary Pierce) was definitely a good test," said
Venus. "Today I had an opportunity to close it out fairly easily but missed
some shots there I shouldn't have missed. Next thing you know the match is
close.

"Any round has that potential, but I've been able to close it out. It's
been happening to a lot of seeds, these tough, long matches, so I've been
fortunate."

Certainly it was an advantage not to have to go to a third set, she remains
that much fresher, but irrespective, you're into the next round with the
opportunity to pick up the pace another notch and a "chance to make it
happen in a better way".

In the quarterfinals Venus will come up against Anastasia Myskina who
survived a thrilling match with fellow Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova, who
Venus beat in the Warsaw final, 1-6, 6-4, 8-6.

They have met on two occasions, both in 2002 and Venus won both times
including a match on clay.

"She's a good player on clay and plays better throughout the match so I
will just have to keep my play as strong as it was today," said Venus.

Scroll to the bottom of the page to listen to her :p
http://www.venuswilliams.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=66143&itype=&iCategoryID=431

Thanks for this article pa! Lovely Read!:cool:

vettipooh
May 31st, 2004, 01:12 AM
How about Zulu just played better?:rolleyes:

We got to stop this "SHE'S INJURED/HE'S INJURED" Crap.
Walking on that court, you're declaring yourself Fully fit, Win or Lose.

But Venus...will be alright, she will pull out if need be. But I don't think we should get alarmed until she tell us something. Hope she's not injured and hope she does not have to pull out.The press and players will have a field day with her if that happens.I can just hear it now......Venus avoids SF meeting with Serena...blah, blah, blah..........Papa said to ......blah, blah, blah....:rolleyes:

lizchris
May 31st, 2004, 01:40 AM
http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=117086

This was a thread I started earlier today based on an AP article that mentioned a supposed injury. The fact that the RG website doesn't even mention that she is allegedly injured and mentioned that two people actually are (Lindsay, who lost and Jennifer, who won) leads me to believe that the person who wrote the AP article doesn't want to see Venus win the title.

Jericho
May 31st, 2004, 01:51 AM
Jen injured?!?

lizchris
May 31st, 2004, 02:08 AM
Jen injured?!?
She strained her right thigh and had to get treatment on it during the second set. She admitted in her post match interview that if she has to play three sets against Serena that she doesn't know if her leg will hold up.

lizchris
May 31st, 2004, 02:14 AM
PARIS(AP) Venus Williams' body language worried her mother. At least twice, Williams swatted awkwardly at a ball, winced, then grabbed her stomach. Perhaps there was nothing significant and Williams laughed off a question after her victory but it was reasonable to wonder, what with so many injuries at the top of women's tennis over the past year, and at the French Open on Sunday alone.

Jennifer Capriati strained her right thigh, though that didn't stop her from setting up a quarterfinal showdown against Serena Williams. Lindsay Davenport's right knee injury did contribute to her loss to Elena Dementieva, one of three Russians in the final eight.

Venus, meanwhile, suddenly found herself in a second-set struggle before getting past 23rd-seeded Fabiola Zuluaga of Colombia 6-1, 7-6 (3). That put Venus in the quarterfinals, a round better than she fared at Roland Garros in 2003, when she was hampered by a torn abdominal muscle.

"Let's hope it's not that old injury," Oracene Williams said after shuttling between show courts to see parts of both daughters' matches. "I thought she wanted to cry out there. She's had so much happen to her."

Venus couldn't play in the German Open final May 9 after twisting her left ankle in the semifinals, but any questions about how she'd hold up in Paris should have been answered by now. She has yet to drop a set while running her winning streak on clay to 19 matches, and said Sunday she feels as if she's in "definitely a lot better form than I was last year."

Serena, who could meet her sibling in the semifinals, said: "I'm pretty good at judging her form. ... She's dominating me right now in practice."

The ankle looked great in the third game against Zuluaga, when Venus sprinted from the baseline to get to a well-placed drop shot and swatted a winner. Two points later, however, Venus hit an off-balance forehand into the net, cringed, and put a hand to her midsection.

Serving for the match at 6-5 in the second set, Venus stopped short on one ball, deciding not to give chase. Then, after sending a forehand long, she doubled over briefly. She put a backhand into the net on the next point to get broken.

A couple of times, Venus delayed play while going to switch rackets.

"Venus looked a little more agitated in the second set," said Zuluaga, an Australian Open semifinalist. "She went to change rackets because of a 'problem' with her strings, but I think she wanted to catch her breath."

All in all, Venus controlled the tempo, generating enough power to keep most of her shots deep, strike an ace at 112 mph, and hit 28 winners. But 24 of her 31 unforced errors came in the second set.

"I let her back into the match," Venus lamented.

Serena didn't do anything of the sort against Shinobu Asagoe of Japan, compiling a 24-3 edge in winners during a 6-3, 6-1 victory. That put the 2002 French Open champion against 2001 titleholder Capriati, a 7-5, 6-1 winner over No. 17 Francesca Schiavone.

This is an article I found on my Road Runner website. I just wanted to know what all of you thought. I saw a similar post, but this article wasnt in it. I just hope my girl Vee is all right.:hearts:

BTW, this article is real. It was written by Howard Feinrich from the Associated Press. The other artricle I referenced is from the AP also, but other articles I read from Ticker, Reuters and the RG website do not mention anythng about an injury and you know if Venus had an injury, they all would have mentioned it.

~|Naomi|~
May 31st, 2004, 06:08 AM
I hope she is fine, she has to win this thing, now Lindsay is gone:)

Legends
May 31st, 2004, 09:14 AM
This is the kind of match I would have wanted to see for myself and would have but for B-Eurosport.:rolleyes:

It takes an observant person to see that Venus is playing with injury. I am definitely not discounting the initial interview whether the article was well put together or not.

(case in point – vs Sprem, Venus experienced discomfort towards the end of the first set, she went on to win the second set will showing some signs of this discomfort and yet a lot of viewers did not even notice, even the bloody commentators did not notice. It was only after she has received treatment, at end of second set, and had eased into the third set that she visibly relaxed and looked to be enjoying the challenge-until the ankle strain, that is )

Some of you are saying if Venus was injured she would have said so. I find that very strange because it is definitely not the case:confused: . I did not watch the match, I do not know the situation but let’s not deceive ourselves here. The only people who know,for sure, when Venus is injured are her immediate family/friends (more recently, her fans via her website, but she usually informs us after the event)

otherwise, the only two scenarios under which the general public are made aware of a Venus injury before or during a match are
1. the injury is so serious that she can’t sustain play.
2. she has strapped up a visible part of her body.

The good news for me in all this speculation is that Venus sounded upbeat in her post-match comments. (but again consummate Poker player that she is I will still be looking on her next match anxiously)

Hopefully, nothing is wrong or at least nothing that can’t be sorted out before her next match.

kaki
May 31st, 2004, 11:03 AM
What I think is may be Venus experienced some pain some where and so played the end of the match tightly.Let just pray so that all this stuff is not serious to the point of not allowing her to take her chances through the title.But it looks more likely that she will play the first games against Myskina very tensed.We all pray for you Venus,go girl,have fun out there.