PDA

View Full Version : Did Anyone Catch This During Venus' Match?

lizchris
May 30th, 2004, 09:41 PM
According to an article I read from the AP, the writer said that she clutched her stomach a couple of times and winced, suggesting that she may have strained her abdominal muscle again. I saw most of her match and didn't see this nor did the official FO site say that she was slightly injured (like they did regarding Jennifer's injury), so I tend to believe this report is bougs.

VenusSerenaBlvd.
May 30th, 2004, 09:46 PM
ya know lizchris, I saw the match and really didn't notice anything. I saw Venus kind of pull at her lower left abdominal at 6-5 in the second, but it didn't look like anything was bothering her. I'm hoping that it was just an itch. I think she winced at the fact that she was on court longer than she should have been. She had a HUGE smile on her face after she won, unlike her semi final win last year at Wimby when she reaggravated the strain. But if she did pull something, she has a full day to rest. So let's hope everything is fine.

Venus Forever
May 30th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Venus normally grimaces when she hits a bad shot, which makes it look like she's in pain. I doubt it has anything to do with the abdominal strain.

volta
May 30th, 2004, 10:22 PM
According to an article I read from the AP, the writer said that she clutched her stomach a couple of times and winced, suggesting that she may have strained her abdominal muscle again. I saw most of her match and didn't see this nor did the official FO site say that she was slightly injured (like they did regarding Jennifer's injury), so I tend to believe this report is bougs.
the only thing that i saw that Vee puting her hand over the stomach many times.

esquímaux
May 30th, 2004, 10:24 PM
The only thing i saw was Venus putting her hand in Fabiola's at the net :shrug:

VRULES
May 30th, 2004, 10:29 PM
She bent over one time in the second set after missing a forehand return like 4 yards long, but that was because it was such a bad shot, not that she pulled anything. I say her pull at her dress a few tims in her mid-section, but it was definetely just her re-adjusting her dress.

bandabou
May 30th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Hmmm....I didn´t see anything in that direction. When she hit the last shot she was jumping pretty freely, so I guess she is fine....or I hope so.

Pureracket
May 30th, 2004, 10:36 PM
She has an obsessive compulsive disorder and is always tugging and readjusting her clothing. I don't think anything is wrong with her stomach. I saw the entire match.

VenusSerenaBlvd.
May 30th, 2004, 10:50 PM
I agree with pureracket. Vee was tugging at her top often. I also watched the entire match.

Infiniti2001
May 30th, 2004, 11:05 PM
She has an obsessive compulsive disorder and is always tugging and readjusting her clothing. I don't think anything is wrong with her stomach. I saw the entire match.

You know how many times I've said this to a friend?? She tugs on it for absolutely no reason sometimes :lol:

Venus Forever
May 31st, 2004, 04:43 AM
Well, Oracene commented about it, and said Venus looked like she wanted to cry, and was hoping it wasn't the "old injury from last year."

I hope she's alright, something always seems to happen when she finally gets healthy.

WhatTheDeuce
May 31st, 2004, 04:44 AM
Venus normally grimaces when she hits a bad shot, which makes it look like she's in pain. I doubt it has anything to do with the abdominal strain.
This sums it all up.

azinna
May 31st, 2004, 05:09 AM

The OCD diagnosis is spot on. Earlier this year, against Conchita, I actually saw her redjust her top during a point. I wasn't sure until they replayed the point in slo-mo.

Whatever gets her in that winning state of mind....

Eurotennisfan
May 31st, 2004, 05:13 AM
So now everytime Venus touches her stomach there needs to be a thread about it.
Why not one about Serena adjusting her boobs or Mary Pierce fixing her hair?

should I start an "appeal" ;).

WhatTheDeuce
May 31st, 2004, 05:16 AM
venus pulls the thing up because it tends to fall down too low all the time

Hots4Safin
May 31st, 2004, 05:27 AM
Vee and Roddick...he's ALWAYS pulling at the shoulder of his shirt. He should just wear something tighter :drool:

Jericho
May 31st, 2004, 05:31 AM
The OCD diagnosis is spot on. Earlier this year, against Conchita, I actually saw her redjust her top during a point. I wasn't sure until they replayed the point in slo-mo.

Whatever gets her in that winning state of mind....
yeah Pam actually commented on that when they showed a replay of a point when she was approaching the net :o

Jericho
May 31st, 2004, 05:32 AM
Vee and Roddick...he's ALWAYS pulling at the shoulder of his shirt. He should just wear something tighter :drool:
and he adjusts his junk if you know what i mean :tape:

Chance
May 31st, 2004, 06:00 AM
hmmm I hate reading threads like this.... I wish I had better coverage to judge for myself.

Legends
May 31st, 2004, 09:33 AM
I am sorry but don’t agree.

When Venus is reacting to a bad shot she normally shadows what she should have done with her racket to get the shot in/right or waves her hand dismissingly to move on. Sometimes she takes a deep breathe and literally shrugs the point off.

She does not double over or make overt facial expressions.

So unless these are new mannerisms, which I am not discounting, then I am worried because when Venus is injured she winces and clutches and she misses because she is not able to set up for her shots properly. Adjusting the top half of her attire, which I have also noticed her doing a lot too, is not the same as clutching her mid-riff/abdominal area.

I only wish I could have seen this for myself because these two threads on the topic are doing my head in (the idea that she may be injured, by thread starter, coupled with the blithe dismissal by most of the repliers):(

oddkayla
May 31st, 2004, 09:48 AM
I am worried. I would think Oracene knows her daughter's mannerisms more than anyone else, and when she is worried, I feel apprehensive too. Really Venus does not deserve this. After all the injuries she has gone through and all the efforts she has put in to be the player that she is ,without quitting even when all and sundry were on her case. She deserves a break really!