PDA

View Full Version : Jen on playing Serena

Mase
May 30th, 2004, 08:14 PM
"If I can keep balls in play, I think I should have the edge because she’s not used to playing on clay and maybe she’ll come up with errors," Capriati said. "I also feel more comfortable being aggressive. I’m serving better. I can retrieve and also be aggressive."

Keep the positive outlook going Jen!!! :bounce::bounce:

tennisIlove09
May 30th, 2004, 08:15 PM
what does Jen mean "She's not use to playing on clay?" she's use enough to have the title and beating Jen on the surface two or three times?

SJW
May 30th, 2004, 08:19 PM
"If I can keep balls in play, I think I should have the edge because she’s not used to playing on clay and maybe she’ll come up with errors," Capriati said. "I also feel more comfortable being aggressive. I’m serving better. I can retrieve and also be aggressive."

Keep the positive outlook going Jen!!! :bounce::bounce: Serena Williams: It can go one way or the other. I think regardless, it's really going to be an exciting match. I'll make sure that I'm up for it. bring on the drama ;)

jack duckworth
May 30th, 2004, 08:21 PM
the match all depends on jennifer shes the better player:)

SJW
May 30th, 2004, 08:21 PM
what does Jen mean "She's not use to playing on clay?" she's use enough to have the title and beating Jen on the surface two or three times?
you're right. SW leads the h2h on the dirty stuff 3:2. imagine if she was used to playing on clay ;)

esquímaux
May 30th, 2004, 08:22 PM
k.

Black Mamba.
May 30th, 2004, 08:37 PM

You're really trying to get the Williams's fans after you aren't you?

jack duckworth
May 30th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by nikerulz
You're really trying to get the Williams's fans after you aren't you?

:D no.....i just answer what this poster asks:)

lizchris
May 30th, 2004, 08:43 PM
That's why Serena has 24 singles titles.:rolleyes:

Black Mamba.
May 30th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by nikerulz

:D no.....i just answer what this poster asks:)

OK :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

harloo
May 30th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Hmm....well Jen has a point about rallies on clay, but if Serena was not that good on clay how did she beat Jen Jen in 2002 and went on to win the title.

Now we see Jen's strategy. It's to let Serena self destruct and it worked last time they met on clay. Don't know if it will happen again, but for the most part the outcome of the match will depend on Serena's level of play.

bandabou
May 30th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Some posters are just annoying and instigating.... Jen is right though..Serena can´t win by rallying with Jen.

lizchris
May 30th, 2004, 08:48 PM

How does someone who is not used to playing on clay have three claycourt titles to her name while she only has two?:rolleyes:

jack duckworth
May 30th, 2004, 08:49 PM
UnOriginally Posted by lizchris
That's why Serena has 24 singles titles

i never refer to how many singles titles any player has won....i stated that jennifer is the better tennis player...which many would agree with me on :rolleyes: ....jennifer capriati acheived in tennis what neither williams/combined could :D ...have you not been watching tennis lately these years?....o i forget...not before 1999...well one time jennifer played tennis but she retired from the game.....o im not telling another williamsfan this story again :rolleyes:

nikerulz

:wavey: you have a very relaxed manner ;) :)

tennisIlove09
Some posters are just annoying and instigating.... Jen is right though..Serena can´t win by rallying with Jen.
:confused: Did you see the 2002 Rome Semis? the 2002 French semis? No really?

catkey94
Jennifer is right that Serena's problem on clay has been having patience. Many times she tries to go for the quick winner instead of hanging into a rally. But I did notice that today when she played, she did have a lot more patience and she tried to hang in there during the long rallies. I really hope that Jennifer has more of a game plan than to keep the ball in play and hope Serena makes the error, because if that's her plan she's setting herself up to lose.

lizchris
May 30th, 2004, 08:52 PM

i never refer to how many singles titles any player has won....i stated that jennifer is the better tennis player...which many would agree with me on :rolleyes: ....jennifer capriati acheived in tennis what neither williams/combined could :D ...have you not been watching tennis lately these years?....o i forget...not before 1999...well one time jennifer played tennis but she retired from the game.....o im not telling another williamsfan this story again :rolleyes:

nikerulz

Again, if she is a better tennis player, then she should hae achieved a lot more than either sister has, which to date she has not.

jack duckworth
May 30th, 2004, 08:55 PM
not if? she is the better tennis player:)

lizchris
May 30th, 2004, 08:57 PM
not if? she is the better tennis player:)
Too bad her overall match record says otherwise.

jack duckworth
May 30th, 2004, 08:59 PM
any1 with an iota of common sense...and a knowledge of tennis would ...never say what you say lizchris:)

Cam'ron Giles
May 30th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Liz, dont pay Jack anymind...He is the latest troll to the board...he wont be around much longer...they never stay long mark my words. :D

vettipooh
May 30th, 2004, 09:01 PM
the match all depends on jennifer shes the better player:) yeah,that's why there's something called a Serena Slam, and not a Jen Slam!!!!:rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lizchris
May 30th, 2004, 09:02 PM
any1 with an iota of common sense...and a knowledge of tennis would ...never say what you say lizchris:)
And anyone with the facts (like I have) know that you don't have any common sense because only someone who doesn't have any common sense believe that Jennifer is a better player.:rolleyes:

jack duckworth
May 30th, 2004, 09:04 PM
please williamsfans i beg of you to stop making fools of yourselfs now:)

RainyDays
May 30th, 2004, 09:06 PM
about the whole "she's not used to playing on clay" thing......IMO jen meant in 2004, not in Serena's tennis career. thats how i interpreted it.
being a Serena AND jen fan....the winner of this match doesnt make much difference to me. Its good that Jen has a positive outlook. This match is gonna be a classic, no matter who wins it.

lizchris
May 30th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Liz, dont pay Jack anymind...He is the latest troll to the board...he wont be around much longer...they never stay long mark my words. :D
You're right. He seriously believes that someone who took 11 yeras to get to a Grand Slam final is better than someone who took 4. He also believes that someone who won the career Grand Slam in less time than that same person has been professional isn't better than the other person. He also believes that a person who has an 9-5 record against someone is not as good as the other person.

VenusSerenaBlvd.
May 30th, 2004, 09:07 PM
[QUOTE=jack duckworth]UnOriginally Posted by lizchris

When a player only has to improve her mental state, that is what makes a better player. Serena had all of the tools to be one of the best players. Serena has an awesome serve, great backhand and forehand, great movement, etc. Serena in my opinion is the better player.

flyingmachine
May 30th, 2004, 09:08 PM
I think it will be a interesting match it both play. I just can't wait for that. :drool:

K-Dog
May 30th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Hey Jack, Jennifer has been playing how many years and how many titles. 14 years, 14 titles. God, Conchita Martinez has way more titles than Jen. Serena has played since 1998 full time, and she has won every major, 24 titles, and has rarely lost to anyone three times in a row in her career expect Jenny for a year. Janny has lost to Venus four straight times, Serena 8 times before Rome, I don't how many times to Justine and Kim. Please Jack, Jenny is a one dimensional player. Jenny is an under achiever and a choker in big matches, period!!

bandabou
May 30th, 2004, 09:15 PM
:confused: Did you see the 2002 Rome Semis? the 2002 French semis? No really?

I did....and Serena´s form isn´t up to par with her form back then. I hope that Serena can have a good practice and train on her consistency....so far she hasn´t been really consistent.

K-Dog
May 30th, 2004, 09:23 PM
If Serena wins, I'll be happy. If she loses it's understandable. She clearly isn't devoting herself to her tennis 100%. When she starts to do that again, and leaves all of this Hollywood shit behind, she will become the Serena of 2002.

P.S. Serena, please leave Brett Ratner, he is so hurtin'!!

Joseosu19
May 30th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Jennifer meant that Serena hadn't played on clay much this year.
I hope it will be an exciting match, and that the winner can bring home the tourney.

tennisluver99
May 30th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Keeping the ball in play & waiting for errors=Capriati loss

Rocketta
May 30th, 2004, 10:17 PM
don't attack jennifer based on some troll...he probably doesn't even like Jennifer. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I hope it will be a good match and Serena has some patience in the match.

jenny161185
May 30th, 2004, 11:04 PM
''Jennifer meant that Serena hadn't played on clay much this year.''

Thankyou. Why does this thread have to turn into a supid bash - fest who cares how long it took either player to get to a grand slam final? that doesn t define how good a player is, not all players develop at the same rate. anyway Im just hoping for a match in which both girls give it there all and we're usually not disappointed :)

Couver
May 30th, 2004, 11:12 PM
As a Serena fan I have to say STOP RAGGING on Jennifer! Her comments are not meanspirited or cocky in the least. So don't let you anger at a troll spill out onto Jen.

I believe Jen meant Serena has little match practice on clay this season. The two of them seem to have buried the hatchet so to speak.:) Of course that could all change on Tuesday :lol: (though I hope it doesn't).

thelittlestelf
May 30th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Usually I would say Serena to win, but Jen's new coach has really helped her grit it out and win three set matches. I've seen a significant change in her mental toughness lately, and that could be key.

RainyDays
May 30th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Am I the only one who is actually going to watch the match 50% for the crowd and who they're favoring, and 50% for the players?

Robbie.
May 30th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Go Jenn!!!! :bounce:

JennyS
May 30th, 2004, 11:38 PM
How does someone who is not used to playing on clay have three claycourt titles to her name while she only has two?:rolleyes:

Jennifer's won four claycourt titles: The 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, Strasbourg (1999), Charleston (2001) and Roland Garros (2001). Serena's won two (Rome and Roland Garros in 2002).

FanDeJen
May 30th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Jennifer's won four claycourt titles: The 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, Strasbourg (1999), Charleston (2001) and Roland Garros (2001). Serena's won two (Rome and Roland Garros in 2002).

JEN WILL ROCK YOU!!!!!!

Serena vete a tu casa!!!

capriatifan78
May 31st, 2004, 01:36 AM

LOL Good point....I was just about to write this because I saw that error..and I didn't want to get involved in the pointless argument thing....but I was so happy to see that you pointed out these titles!!! :worship: ;)

Buitenzorg
May 31st, 2004, 01:43 AM
It's going to be a very tough match :o

But I predict Capriati def Serena 7-5 4-6 7-5

cheo23
May 31st, 2004, 04:31 AM
J.Crap usually wins the 1st SET in a Hurry...so SERENA BETTEr BE READY in that 1st SET because J.CRap will be ready to win in 2 SETs. SERENA is still makin alot of Errors with her backhand shot ..plus alot of her shots are landin in the middle of the court. She's got to hit deeper and not to hit return SERves long or to the net. Lookin forward to SEE THEm Play on Tuesday! Will BE a Good Match..Hopefully not too many Unforced ERRors but unlikely.

bigshow21
May 31st, 2004, 04:54 AM
It is going to be one hell of a match. I am excited and nervous for it. Go Jen!!!!

KingA
May 31st, 2004, 05:55 AM
Why Jennifer already told the media what strategy she is going to use to play against Serena before the match??????

Sounds Silly!!!! :confused:

Vincent
May 31st, 2004, 06:00 AM
I hope this is not empty talk, make it true Jennifer! :kiss:

slice
May 31st, 2004, 06:06 AM
go jen :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

monicain
May 31st, 2004, 06:14 AM
I can hardly wait for this long-anticipated QF match!
Gooooo Jenniferrrrrrrrrr!

WtaTour4Ever
May 31st, 2004, 06:23 AM
Either way this SHOULD be a really good match!!! I'm so excited. Good Luck to both Ladies, but I'm rooting for Serena in 3. :-)

I wonder if anyone who saw them play each other a few weeks back could compare there play then, with how they are playing now.

Andy_
May 31st, 2004, 07:26 AM

Now, now... :rolleyes: for as much as I LOVE Jen... I think this is quite a weird comment...
I think we can agree on a fact: despite the titles she won on clay courts - including this little thingy they play in Paris, only to mention one - this surface is probably the one Serena likes the least, the one she's had to learn to cope with, to slide, and to have the speed and power of her serve slightly hampered by the slower bounce and all that... simply because Serena was 'born' on hardcourts, as a tennis player, and red clay is a relatively recent discovery for her. Even last year, when Serena was just amazing and nearly unbeatable, players as Amélie and JHH managed to beat her on clay, probably taking advantage of the surface they are more familiar with.
As a matter of fact Jen has had a longer red clay courts experience, and to be precise, if Serena's had three titles on clay, so has Jen... to Charleston and Paris 2001 we might wanna add the Olympics in Barcelona, back in 1992 ;) So, maybe, this is what she wanted to say... that she's been playing on these courts a bit more than Serena... and that maybe, if Serena were in a bad day and kept going for her shots and being impatient... she might hand Jen a few points on unforced errors... But I'm pretty convinced Serena's willing to raise her level starting from next match, and she'll also be eager to get some revenge for their last encounter in Rome.
Still, I'm happy to see Jen has a positive attitude to this match and she's just as eager to compete and do well. What she said about her serve seems quite true to my eyes, and that could be a vital weapon with Rena, tomorrow.
We'll see what the outcome will be... first of all I hope that they can put up a great tenni show out there!! :bounce:

hollywood7172
May 31st, 2004, 09:02 AM
i am just excited about this match. this is what i watch tennis for--good, exciting play.

let's not make negativity out of such a wonderful thing.

go jen! and go serena! may the tennis be good and exciting. and no one gets injured.

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 10:12 AM
Yep....stop the hating. i don´t think Jen meant anything with those comments.

englishjenfan
May 31st, 2004, 12:11 PM
this match is not about the past and who so far has done better but its about the present, who is doing better right now and who will play the best on the day AND WE WILL SOON FIND OUT.
Good Luck Jen!
*Emily*

Melly Flew Us
May 31st, 2004, 12:53 PM
Why Jennifer already told the media what strategy she is going to use to play against Serena before the match??????

maybe.

or it might work the way kuerten's pre-match declaration re his hip. lopez ditched his normal game in order to 'grind guga's hip into dust.

might see serena expecting a certain strategy and adazpting her tatics accordingly.

SerenaSlam
May 31st, 2004, 02:33 PM

i don't see how saying what she said is being positive. she is basically saying she is gonna let this match be in the hands of Serena. You cannot go into a match against a williams sister relying on errors. You have to go out there and take it to them. The only time you rely on their errors is if they come out hot, all you can do is hope for errors. But going into a match that is not positive at all that is being extremly negative in my opinion b/c you don't have belief in your own game, you have belief in someone elses more so than your own.

SJW
May 31st, 2004, 03:00 PM
yea i agree it's a bit strange Jen said her plan before the match. that basically means all Serena has to do is cut out the errors, cuz let's face it, Jen will be happy a few feet behind the baseline playing passive tennis.

hopefully serena is going into the match with the same mentality as last years QF :)

go Serena :kiss:

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 03:02 PM
Well....it ain´t like Jen can or is gonna blast winners past Serena, so in a sense...she has tol rely on Serena´s errors.

asotgod
May 31st, 2004, 04:39 PM
PARIS (AP) — Jennifer Capriati caught herself.

She was looking ahead to Tuesday's French Open quarterfinal against Serena Williams, the 15th installment of their great rivalry, when suddenly it occurred to her that maybe too much was being said.
How, Capriati was asked, did she beat Williams recently, ending an eight-match head-to-head losing streak?

"Change it up, not always give her the same stuff all the time. And, what really helped me was the way I served there, too. And I think I just, kind of, didn't give her - tried not to give her - a good rhythm, basically," Capriati began.

"You know, when she gets in a rhythm, she gets in that groove, and she starts taking off," Capriati added, then smiled, hearing the words as they flowed.

"So, basically, that's the game plan. There you go."

If only it were that easy. Williams leads the series 9-5, although Capriati did win their last encounter 6-4, 6-4 in the Italian Open semifinals on May 15.

They're two of the hardest hitters in the game, and this is how fine the gap between them is: 10 of the 14 matches have gone three sets, including all four at Grand Slam tournaments. They met at the French Open in 2001, when Capriati won their quarterfinal en route to the title, and again the next year, when Williams won their semifinal en route to the title.

"We always go three sets - it seems like it. It's always intense. The scoreline is really close," Williams said on Sunday after beating Shinobu Asagoe of Japan in the fourth round. "It can go one way or the other. Regardless, it's really going to be an exciting match. I'll make sure that I'm up for it."

It's the most compelling matchup in the women's quarterfinals, with the winner moving into a semifinal against Williams' older sister Venus or sixth-seeded Anastasia Myskina, one of a record three Russians in the final eight.

Just an excerpt of an article on Jen and Serena. Anyone expecting Capriati to wait for Serena to make errors is just dreaming. Capriati's forehand is really on in this tournament, and Serena is not fully at form. As someone said earlier, some of Serena's shots are not deep enough, she needs to be consistent, and vary her service patterns. Capriati plan as stated in the excerpt of the article up there is to vary the pace of the shots, make Serena think and not get into any rhythm, which I think is a good plan. Serena however needs to start up very sharply, not dropping her serves like she has been doing early in this tournament and the past. Once Serena is able to be consistent and very thoughtful about her shot selections, then she will be fine. Otherwise, Serena will lose this match. So far, even though I am a Serena fan, I feel Serena has only played well in patches, she needs to be focused and execute well, then she will be fine.

Anyways, good luck to the ladies tomorrow. I hope it's not an error slugfest.

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 04:44 PM
Serena: NO, NO slow start tomorrow.....you gotta be sharp from the start. I agree that Serena has only played well in patches sofar. wow, Jen´s really been thinking about her strategy against Serena.

Serena has to take care of service games, try to be more patient than she´s been sofar...should be a good match.

Cariaoke
May 31st, 2004, 04:56 PM
I love Jen and Serena.

Bring it, ladies! Sure to be yet another classic!

Serena, even it up! Jen, use your win two weeks ago to put some heat on Serena!

:worship: :kiss: :bowdown:

bigshow21
May 31st, 2004, 04:57 PM

It's not only her strategy but every other tennis players in the world. It is obvious that you want the opponent to make more mistakes than you. I dont think she is giving out strategy at all...she is just saying common sense that every tennis player hopes for. Thats just how i view it.

RedFilaJ-Cap#1
May 31st, 2004, 04:58 PM
You idiots she meant in 2004!!! What the heck you are all so stupid. IMO she is a better player then Serena and she can and will win this match. Jennifer is playing great and she is in great shape and running down the balls like crazy. She had a tough draw and I think all of the tough matches she has played last week are all going to help to take down to Serena.

Mase
May 31st, 2004, 05:03 PM
I love Jen and Serena.

Bring it, ladies! Sure to be yet another classic!

Serena, even it up! Jen, use your win two weeks ago to put some heat on Serena!

:worship: :kiss: :bowdown:
Agreed, love this match up... :drool:

SJW
May 31st, 2004, 05:43 PM
You idiots she meant in 2004!!! What the heck you are all so stupid. IMO she is a better player then Serena and she can and will win this match. Jennifer is playing great and she is in great shape and running down the balls like crazy. She had a tough draw and I think all of the tough matches she has played last week are all going to help to take down to Serena.
not saying she won't win, but what makes you think Jennifer is a better player than Serena? :)

Knizzle
May 31st, 2004, 05:50 PM
I hope Serena's backhand DTL is working tomorrow because it will be key. If she can hit it well then she will have Jen on the run, otherwise they'll be in those slow, long, pong-type rallies which won't favor Serena. She also needs to put pressure on Jen's serve. Jen's serve is too weak for Serena to be letting her hold easily. I'm picking Serena in 3 sets.

englishjenfan
May 31st, 2004, 06:04 PM
GOOD LUCK JEN
YOU CAN DO IT
*Emily*

bandabou
May 31st, 2004, 06:36 PM
I hope Serena's backhand DTL is working tomorrow because it will be key. If she can hit it well then she will have Jen on the run, otherwise they'll be in those slow, long, pnng-type rallies which won't favor Serena. She also needs to put pressure on Jen's serve. Jen's serve is too weak for Serena to be letting her hold easily. I'm picking Serena in 3 sets.

Yeah....and I must say that it´s been pretty good, specially in the returns...

jenny161185
May 31st, 2004, 07:34 PM
I cant wait for this match going to be great - and Jen didnt say she was going to just sit back and wait for Serenas errors - she said she's going to retrieve and attack at the same time :)

Kabezya
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:46 AM
Definitely go Serena in this one. Here's to a good match and Serena of course pulling it out.

DeDe4925
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:53 AM

nikerulz

First, I never knew that Jen won all four slams. :rolleyes: I also thought she only had three or four grand slam titles, whereas Serena has six. Also, if she's the better player, I wonder why it took her nine times to beat Serena once in the last nine matches they played? :confused: If that's makes her the better player and a better achiever on court, than I'd rather be the worse player.

DeDe4925
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:13 AM
If Serena wins, I'll be happy. If she loses it's understandable. She clearly isn't devoting herself to her tennis 100%. When she starts to do that again, and leaves all of this Hollywood shit behind, she will become the Serena of 2002.

P.S. Serena, please leave Brett Ratner, he is so hurtin'!!
I don't know K-Dog, it seems that as long as Brett is with her, she wins. He wasn't with her in Rome and she looked like a love-sick puppy in that match against Jen. He was with her in Miami and she won and since he's been in France, she's been pulling out the wins. So, let's let him stay for the time being. ;)

DeDe4925
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:38 AM
Definitely go Serena in this one. Here's to a good match and Serena of course pulling it out.
Yeah...GO SERENA...GOOOOOOO :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

jack duckworth
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:50 PM
jennifer was correct...she did win:)

lizchris
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:52 PM
jennifer was correct...she did win:)
Now she has to do what she didn't do at the Italina Open; win the title.

jack duckworth
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:59 PM
that last thing you wrote..thats the stupidest thing i have ever read:)

Abdoul
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:26 PM
go away, you imbecile ...