PDA

View Full Version : Venus Wins 6-1 7-6

tennisIlove09
May 30th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Takes out another tough clay courter...and despite having the toughest draw, hasn't dropped a set :cool:

bmxbandit
May 30th, 2004, 05:59 PM
You're too late, there was a thread about it 5 minutes ago before they even started the TB. :rolleyes:

Good job Vee!

Dava
May 30th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Good play from btoh of them Venus really fought hard in the first getting all those gps of Fab.

Next is Myskina, who I think she should beat pretty easily, but then I wouldnt like to think anything or make any prediction at this RG :P

VivalaSeles
May 30th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Congratulations Venus :)
Zuluaga began playing very well in the 2nd (kudos to her) :) but Venus was stronger :)

GoDominique
May 30th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Congrats. But tough draw - my ass.

If you play an opponent who makes 6 errors in a row in a TB, that's not a tough draw.

LindsayRocks89
May 30th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Congratulations Venus :bounce:

Couver
May 30th, 2004, 06:03 PM

If you play an opponent who makes 6 errors in a row in a TB, that's not a tough draw.
Why is it that players who lose the the Williams sisters always make too many errors :confused:

But when a Williams sister loses are her errors are off the scale the opponent soundly beat her. :confused:

tennisIlove09
May 30th, 2004, 06:05 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Try harder.

No other player in the QF has had a tougher draw :) :wavey:

GoDominique
May 30th, 2004, 06:10 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Try harder.

No other player in the QF has had a tougher draw :) :wavey:
Why? Please explain.

WF4EVER
May 30th, 2004, 06:14 PM

I always thought we determined who has the toughest draw after the draw came out and not after the matches are played.

Venus does have the toughest route; I can't see how Zuluaga making six errors in a row changes the fact that she's a good clay courter and the #23 seed.

tennisIlove09
May 30th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Here's why:

While Tanasugarn is in a slump, she has consistently been in the top 30 in the world.
Kostanic is a good upstart clay courter, who reached the SF of a Tier 1 this year on clay
Pierce. Former champ, and if she's hitting well can hit anyone off the court
Zuluaga--a semi finalist at the AO, and clay is her best surface

No one else has had that kind of draw. It was the toughest (although all the early rounds should be "easy" for the top players. But this was the hardest of all of them. But, it wouldnt' have been that way if players were upset. Serena for example hasn't had to face a seed. You can't compare her draw to Venus'. Venus is 10 times harder)

GoDominique
May 30th, 2004, 06:22 PM
I always thought we determined who has the toughest draw after the draw came out and not after the matches are played.

Venus does have the toughest route; I can't see how Zuluaga making six errors in a row changes the fact that she's a good clay courter and the #23 seed.
I strongly disagree. You have to consider what the opponents are actually bringing up ON THE COURT before you can decide about the toughness of the draw.

GoDominique
May 30th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Here's why:

While Tanasugarn is in a slump, she has consistently been in the top 30 in the world.
Kostanic is a good upstart clay courter, who reached the SF of a Tier 1 this year on clay
Pierce. Former champ, and if she's hitting well can hit anyone off the court
Zuluaga--a semi finalist at the AO, and clay is her best surface

No one else has had that kind of draw. It was the toughest (although all the early rounds should be "easy" for the top players. But this was the hardest of all of them. But, it wouldnt' have been that way if players were upset. Serena for example hasn't had to face a seed. You can't compare her draw to Venus'. Venus is 10 times harder)
Rankings don't matter.
And "if's" don't matter either.
"If Pierce hits well" - but she didn't hit well. And when Mary doesn't hit well, she has nothing else. She then becomes a piss-poor draw.
Tanasugarn is CRAP on clay and hasn't done anything on it. And she never beats top-players. She doesn't believe. Easy draw.
Kostanic is in good form, but inexperienced. Not an easy opponent, but no problem for Venus still.
Zuluaga - she's good IN THEORY. In reality, she's a choker who never beats top-players. She's never done well at big tournaments, except a fluke SF in Australia where she lost badly.

The point is: it's about if your opponent BELIEVES in her chances, like Kirilenko did.
It's about how well your opponent plays on that day, like Beygelzimer against Jen.
It's about: has your opponent an actual CHANCE to beat you?

WF4EVER
May 30th, 2004, 06:33 PM
I strongly disagree. You have to consider what the opponents are actually bringing up ON THE COURT before you can decide about the toughness of the draw.
Thanks for the enlightenment. I guess I had it wrong all along. I'll be sure to keep that in mind for Wimby.

WF4EVER
May 30th, 2004, 06:34 PM
See, I thought having a tough match was different from having a tough draw. I guess I'm just a novice.

sartrista7
May 30th, 2004, 06:38 PM
No one else has had that kind of draw. It was the toughest (although all the early rounds should be "easy" for the top players. But this was the hardest of all of them.

Nastya had the toughest draw, actually... Molik in round one, a tough junior in Strycova in round two, experienced Chladkova in round three, and Kuznetsova in round four.

Venus got one of the easiest first round matches possible, tough draws in Kostanic and Zuluaga, and... well, she would've probably beaten Pierce had she spent the match doing her nails :tape:

Well done Vee :yeah: Afraid I'll have to cheer for Nastya now... but I want the winner to get to the final!

hinquit
May 30th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Rankings don't matter.
And "if's" don't matter either.
"If Pierce hits well" - but she didn't hit well. And when Mary doesn't hit well, she has nothing else. She then becomes a piss-poor draw.
Tanasugarn is CRAP on clay and hasn't done anything on it. And she never beats top-players. She doesn't believe. Easy draw.
Kostanic is in good form, but inexperienced. Not an easy opponent, but no problem for Venus still.
Zuluaga - she's good IN THEORY. In reality, she's a choker who never beats top-players. She's never done well at big tournaments, except a fluke SF in Australia where she lost badly.

The point is: it's about if your opponent BELIEVES in her chances, like Kirilenko did.
It's about how well your opponent plays on that day, like Beygelzimer against Jen.
It's about: has your opponent an actual CHANCE to beat you?

If just I know the last name of the person's name using as your user name,
then I would comment on your statement about Venus.

V-MAC
May 30th, 2004, 07:45 PM
:) finally!! Eurosport showed a Venus match live, well they only showed the second set:( better than nothing i suppose. Wasn't the nicest set of tennis to watch.It was difficult to assess exactly how Venus is playing right now coz she just about threw everything into that set, - double-faults,awesome winners and rallys,bad unforced errors. but she played the big points well and most important of all,which i'm very happy about, Venus didn't seem affected by her ankle.In fact, she was speeding around that court :) her ankle also didn't look to be heavily taped.Although I have to admit,venus was lucky to have been gifted the tiebreak coz her game was just about starting to crumble a bit after she got broken serving for the match at 6-5.Nice to see though that in Venus' court-side interview after the match, she sounded very upbeat and thrilled to be playing in the French.On the bad side, after Venus won, there was some jeering (only a small bit but still) from the crowd for no apparent reason :o Go Venus!!!!!! this is your tournament, time to launch your game into orbit!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :worship: :worship:

VeNuS#1LoVa
May 30th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Takes out another tough clay courter...and despite having the toughest draw, hasn't dropped a set :cool:
I don't think Venus has the toughest draw, maybe Serena/Capriati did. Venus has Tammy, Kostanic, Pierce (This Was A Tough Opponent), Zuluaha, then Myskina.

Tammy's a joke, of course she'd beat Kostanic, Pierce was the only toughest person, but she completely didn't show up, Zuluaga is easy, Venus gave her games in that 2nd, Myskina is one of the easiest quarterfinals opponents, compared to the top half, which is really easy.

So I don't really think Venus had the hardest draw, maybe Serena with Kirilenko/Capriati...

Foot_Fault
May 30th, 2004, 10:41 PM
I think you guys are misunderstanding what TennisILove09 is saying. Not that Venus didn't win easily, but on Paper...her draw was suppose to be the toughest. Yet it's a testiment to Venus Mental Strenght, and Physical Capabilities.

No Question Serena Has the Hardest Quarter, but Venus in Totality had the draw that could've Cost her problems. And it hasn't she's yet to lose a set...and don't see that happening till the Semi's

VeNuS#1LoVa
May 30th, 2004, 10:47 PM
I think you guys are misunderstanding what TennisILove09 is saying. Not that Venus didn't win easily, but on Paper...her draw was suppose to be the toughest. Yet it's a testiment to Venus Mental Strenght, and Physical Capabilities.

No Question Serena Has the Hardest Quarter, but Venus in Totality had the draw that could've Cost her problems. And it hasn't she's yet to lose a set...and don't see that happening till the Semi's
I'm not trying to start a disagreement, I just don't think her draw was the toughest.

And yes, Venus has done pehnomenal and I'm so proud of my baby, and I hope she keeps going!:wavey:

sbmh
May 31st, 2004, 12:50 AM
Well done , Venus:yeah:

Dawn Marie
May 31st, 2004, 12:58 AM
GODOMI YOU ARE OFF THE CHAIN.LMAO...at your stupidity.

- L i n a -
May 31st, 2004, 01:03 AM
Erm... I wouldn't say Venus' draw was the hardest... I'd say Jen's was.

Beygelzimer in R1 isn't much... Peschke was a former Top 40 player who's just coming back from injury... Bovina is a Top 25 player who can be very dangerous... and Schiavone has had a very nice clay season.

Tanasugarn has been horrible all year, and is the worst on clay... Kostanic is a tricky opponent in R2, but nothing that should trouble Venus... Pierce did a bunch of nothing on clay this year... and Zuluaga is a Top 30 player on clay, but her ranking is way inflated with the AO performance.

Martian Willow
May 31st, 2004, 01:31 AM
...I'da thought the players drawn against the sistuz had the toughest draw...? :shrug:

:)