PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova: Nothing to Lose, Everything to Gain-BEWARE!!!

Foot_Fault
May 30th, 2004, 02:11 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40214000/jpg/_40214367_sharapova300x245.jpg

She's always been a hungry player. And now she's a huge threat in the top half because of it. She has NOTHING to lose here. I called this one before the tournament began, and recieved several replies from the "SO-CALLED" tennis aficionados that I was crazy, ignorant, "couldn't pick an apple off a tree" yet...most of their picks are at home watching mines.

I feel she will be one of the most talented Russians in the bunch. She has that US Style of tennis that allows her to attack and wear down her opponents with big hitting.

She has gained a QF's berth here, and I don't see it ending. Mauresmo better watch out b/c "with nothing to lose" she can see her final appearance hopes DASHED by a Gitty, Fiesty, and Flashy 17 year old.

I've been on the Sharapova wagon since Wimby 2003...and our train has continued to roll...!

Go Sharapova!:bounce: :bounce:
http://www.wtatour.com/global/photos_rx/Sharapova_4452_rx.jpg

esquímaux
May 30th, 2004, 02:17 PM
She's always been a hungry player

I bet she has :hehehe: She can pull a Hantuchova if she wants too ;)

bandabou
May 30th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Well, by seeing her....didn´t get much to eat.

htm
May 30th, 2004, 02:21 PM
I think Maria has a good game also, but the problem I have is all the hype around her and it could possible hurt in the future if she start going to her head. Because when she stop getting the result that are expected of her she will crack under pressure. It has happen to players like her before and I see it happening again.

Foot_Fault
May 30th, 2004, 02:27 PM
I think Maria has a good game also, but the problem I have is all the hype around her and it could possible hurt in the future if she start going to her head. Because when she stop getting the result that are expected of her she will crack under pressure. It has happen to players like her before and I see it happening again.
Well I am going to remain optimistic. She's already won titles, has a schedule that keeps her hungry for tournaments. I definately want to see her in the top 10 soon. She's seems to be a different mental stance than the rest of the young promises on the tour. Hopefully it's fulfilled.

htm
May 30th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Foot Fault, I thought the same thing about some of those other Anna K. clones, and I don't mean that with any disrespect, because I think Anna was a good player. But it upsets me when reporters hype players because of their good looks and not their game and players start to believe the hype, look at Di and Ashley H. I think if Maria keeps a good head on her shoulders she could be very successful, but if start acting like Anna it could be a start to a very short tennis career. I think their only a few players that can handle that type of pressure e.g. Venus, Lindsey, Monica, Steffi, Martina H, and Serena althought she is starting to act like Anna K.

bandabou
May 30th, 2004, 02:54 PM
We´ll see...as htm is saying...there were many cases of players who had one big splash and then dissapeared. Only time is gonna time about Maria. Needs to win some bigger titles first, before being annointed as the next dominant..

Foot_Fault
May 30th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Foot Fault, I thought the same thing about some of those other Anna K. clones, and I don't mean that with any disrespect, because I think Anna was a good player. But it upsets me when reporters hype players because of their good looks and not their game and players start to believe the hype, look at Di and Ashley H. I think if Maria keeps a good head on her shoulders she could be very successful, but if start acting like Anna it could be a start to a very short tennis career. I think their only a few players that can handle that type of pressure e.g. Venus, Lindsey, Monica, Steffi, Martina H, and Serena althought she is starting to act like Anna K.
well the difference with Maria is, she's making it CLEAR that it's 100% about Tennis, and thats the difference. Anna let it all go to her head to soon. And she was looking for love across the globe and didn't love herself, thus affecting her game. I pray that won't let that happen to Maria.

htm
May 30th, 2004, 03:02 PM
well the difference with Maria is, she's making it CLEAR that it's 100% about Tennis, and thats the difference. Anna let it all go to her head to soon. And she was looking for love across the globe and didn't love herself, thus affecting her game. I pray that won't let that happen to Maria.

I pray that it won't happen either, because I think she has a chance to be grouped in the same group as the other great young tennis players and thats a great group of player to be in :) .

harloo
May 30th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Well remember everyone claimed the Daniela was THE ONE and look at her now. Poor Daniela.:sad:

However I do think the Maria will be a top 10 player. She is very good at such a young age and is getting results. She really needs a bit more experience before she starts winning the big titles. I think when she starts to play more tournaments we will see where she is at gamewise. When you start to play more tournaments and have more expectations required of you the new pressure is something that you have to know how to deal with.

charmedRic
May 30th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Hey whatever happens I just want Maria to get the most out of this...and to not get injured.

LindsayRocks89
May 30th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Maria is awesome and she is just going to keep on moving forward in this tournament

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 30th, 2004, 05:22 PM
:bounce: GO Maria!!