PDA

View Full Version : Juniors

goldenlox
May 30th, 2004, 01:44 PM
I wanted to say something to young players, and their parents, if they read Russian Roulette.
Learn from Maria Sharapova, who is a great role model. Make sure your strokes have good mechanics. First serve, second serve, forehand, backhand, overhead, volleys, footwork.
You need sound technique. And a competent coach to make sure your strokes stay correct. That's the only way to do it.
You need a solid foundation, so you can build on it throughout your career.

the cat
May 31st, 2004, 01:59 AM
Maria really does have excellent mechanics on her shots. She has alot of ability and having good mechanics will help her reach her vast potential as a tennis player.

goldenlox
May 31st, 2004, 02:08 AM
My point in this thread is that all the talented juniors, like Alisa, and Vika, and the younger ones, should make sure they are learning good mechanics for each shot.
The best way to become a good player is to not have built-in weaknesses.
And when you have a solid foundation, it's easier to improve.

the cat
May 31st, 2004, 02:51 AM
Alot of tennis players have built in weaknesses. While others have solid foundations to build their games on.

goldenlox
May 31st, 2004, 02:55 AM
These players should all be concerned with learning the proper mechanics. Especially for the serve -

Ekaterina Makarova RUS 7/6/88
Elena Vesnina RUS (8) 8/1/86
Regina Kulikova RUS 30/1/89
Evgeniya Rodina RUS 4/2/89
(Q) Yaroslava Shvedova RUS 12/9/87
Ekaterina Kosminskaya RUS 24/6/88
Eugenia Grebeniuk RUS 10/2/88
Irina Kotkina RUS (11) 19/9/86
Alla Kudryavtseva RUS 3/11/87

goldenlox
May 31st, 2004, 06:58 PM
I just saw Ekaterina Kosminskaya on the Tennis Channel.
This is my advice to all the top juniors -
Get that bucket of balls, and practice your serve. And make sure a coach is watching your mechanics.
And play doubles. Learn how to volley, and hit overheads. There is good money in doubles. It could make a successful career without being a top 40 singles player.

goldenlox
Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:54 PM
I hope the juniors are watching what Nastya and Lena are doing. Remember, they both lost their first matches in Rome. And now they are in the semifinals of the French Open.
You have to stay positive, and keep working. And make sure you have a coach to watch your mechanics.

Vass22
Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:06 PM
LOL GL! Seriusly! Why did you take on the junior education all of a sudden?

PS: Juniors>>>> Close your eyes during Nastya's and Lena's serves! Unless you Serena is going to serve right after that point... You always need to compare.

goldenlox
Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:15 PM
I'm doing this because I believe it's important to learn good mechanics. And to have a coach watch you every day.
I think you need both talent and good mechanics. Elena's results would be better if she had a good serve.
Juniors can learn proper technique easier than a veteran like Elena. Do it now.

goldenlox
Jun 21st, 2004, 01:10 AM
While Petrova does not resent her parents' demands, she is less complimentary about the RTF, saying "they did nothing for me", sentiments echoed by world No14 Vera Zvonareva. "We don't have enough support from the RTF, so kids know if they are not the best in the country for their age group then they are not going to get help, so they're fighting for every ball on the court," she said. "In England kids are not working hard enough because they know if they are in the top 10 in the country for their age they will get everything."

What this means is that you have to be self-motivated. It's not enough that you have great talent. You have to really, really want success. No matter what obstacles are in your path.
All of the top players have gone through tough times. You have to keep working. Always trying hard.

goldenlox
Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:44 AM
This current group of Russian stars, 6 of the top 13 seeds at Wimbledon, are so good, and are such great spokeswomen for Russia, that the next generation have a lot to live up to.
It takes more than great talent and hard work. It takes an inner drive to be great, to do great things.
To be a great role model.

goldenlox
Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:46 AM
And how can you not be motivated now? The players, the parents, the coaches.
Now you hear and read about the Russian Revolution in tennis every day.
Being one of the Russians is a status symbol now. You're one of the new stars, taking over the sport.
And it's all about hard work. As Maria Sharapova said, you have to stay out there an extra hour. And outwork everybody else. And you can see the result of hard work - success.

Marat Safin fan
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Who thinks one of the little Russians can win junior wimbledon? my bet is Alisa.

Sammm
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Goldenlox, do you actually think a junior will read this thread?

Sammm
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Myskina doesn't have a serve, yet she manages to beat Masha and Petrova whenever they play. This doesn't seem to support your mechanics theory.

goldenlox
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:35 AM
I don't know who reads it. I'm just sending my thoughts out into cyberspace.
John McEnroe said the most important shot in tennis is the serve.
I've watched Anna and Elena D. struggle with their serve. If a quality young player can learn the proper service mechanics, I don't see a down side to it.

Sammm
Jun 28th, 2004, 03:03 PM
I don't know who reads it. I'm just sending my thoughts out into cyberspace.
John McEnroe said the most important shot in tennis is the serve.
I've watched Anna and Elena D. struggle with their serve. If a quality young player can learn the proper service mechanics, I don't see a down side to it.
I think that nobody can see a downside to a good serve :rolleyes: That's a bit obvious.

goldenlox
Jun 28th, 2004, 03:09 PM
The downside is that you need a coach who can teach the correct mechanics. Then you have to keep practicing and practicing. And very few players have strong first and second serves. So it must take a tremendous amount of effort to attain.

CJ07
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:27 AM
The downside is that you need a coach who can teach the correct mechanics. Then you have to keep practicing and practicing. And very few players have strong first and second serves. So it must take a tremendous amount of effort to attain.
thats definately changing. Everyone realizes how important the serves are. We can thank venus and serena for that.

And we can thank Venus for proving that the second serve simply can't be a liability

goldenlox
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:33 AM
For the Russian girls, Elena D. and Maria S. are the reasons you work on your serve.
They all can see how important it is.

goldenlox
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:55 PM
As I said, all the juniors should watch tape of Sharapova. Just watch her intensity.
You want to try to win every point. Never get discouraged. Just focus on this point. Sometimes your opponent will make a great shot. Just try to win this point.
Sharapova is a great role model. You have to want this point. It's a mental focus.

KV
Jun 30th, 2004, 04:40 PM
AT Wimbly these Juniors have been doing fine. Though only Alisa's left, Irina lost to the fav. Misha. 5 reached tohe last 16, 2 were seeded. The likes of Alla, Ekaterina played well against the top Juniors, only the convertions of gamepoints was the real difference. There weren't walkovers.

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2004, 03:33 AM
The juniors need patience. You never know when your breakthrough will come.
But you have to focus on every point, so when your game does move forward, you're in a zone.

KV
Jul 11th, 2004, 09:15 PM
The in form Elena Tchalova won the German Open grade 1. :)